Welcome to Canis Major

a wolf and animal rpg (role-playing game)

Canis is a writing community for play-by-post (forum-based), freeform roleplay set in a fictional dream world in the intrusion fantasy genre. Most characters on Canis are wolves; many play elements are focused around wolves and canids, but the world makes room for a large variety of other animal characters such as dogs, horses, cats, bears, deer, and many, many more.

Our community is focused on flexibility, creativity, and collaboration. That boils down to a few important features:

• There is no set activity requirement to write
  • The setting and plot are member-created and staff-supported
  • The game is continuously improved to increase fun and decrease stress

Learn more in our Rulebook!

P
I do things I never should do

Early Morning Sunny/Clear 68° F
P
Discovery
04-26-2021, 04:14 PM (This post was last modified: 07-11-2021, 10:26 PM by Aso. Edited 1 time in total.)
Thread for @Stark. @Izumi, @Hotaru, and @Julooke tagged for visibility as they are moving through the mountains now!

^^
As the sun rose over the mountains, the group slumbered next to a crescent-shaped lake. Stirring from her sleep, Reiko rises and groggily steps away from the slumbering women and young woman, toward the deceptive water's edge to stretch out her dazed legs. Taking a moment for herself to stretch, she went from some kind of downward dog, feeling it in her back and wriggling each of her toes first before stranding again. Feeling refreshed and awake.

With a quick glance to the group, eyes lingering just a little longer on her daughter, she silently trots off into the foliage around them, away from the lake to see if she could get them all a little something to eat. They had passed by heavily marked borders the day before, remembering how they actively avoided them by walking around the mountain, giving it as much space between them and it before finding the cove to rest. She would remember its looming presence as it peaked over the treetops as if watching her every move. Hopefully, its inhabitants wouldn't mind her hunting just below them, beyond their borders... Some packs were less flexible than others, she remembered and would try to remain as quiet while hunting to be safe.

Gently pushing her way through foliage, she followed what she thought was a rabbit's trail.
^^

+1 Discovery Points

the staff team luvs u
[Image: df686pz-0c7a3fc2-8eca-4da1-8429-49fa07fd3bab.png]
translator, I'm sorry if it is horrible for anyone fluent in Japanese!
04-26-2021, 04:32 PM
At first Stark liked being alone. He had liked the freedom that came with it, since his experience with packs didn’t involve freedom. He had grown up without feeling free, and thus he did not consider being with anyone and following them was freedom. And yet, he longed for something familiar again. A place to call home, familiar faces. He wanted these things, despite him refusing to admit it.

But where was he going and where was he going to find anyone that was willing to travel and live with him and not treat him like shit? Because Stark was sick and tired of that. Inhaling deeply, he thought he smelled something to eat, and stopped dead in his tracks. Food sounded food right now. He hadn’t eaten in a few days.

Huffing, the young man set out in the direction of the scent, though he wasn’t sure of he was following it the correct way. There seemed to be rabbit scents all over, some fresher than others. But that wasn’t all. Wolf scent was also fresh around here, and Stark wasn’t sure if he liked the thought of running into anyone, right now. He didn’t really have a good day, boy was he salty. And when Stark didn’t have a good day, well… he could be a little hard to deal with. He just didn’t want to bother anyone.

Ears perked and on high alert, his eyes narrowed slightly, as he scanned his surroundings.

the staff team luvs u
Discovery
04-26-2021, 04:45 PM (This post was last modified: 07-11-2021, 10:28 PM by Aso. Edited 1 time in total.)
^^
Tracking the scent, she slunk silently through the foliage and young trees. Carefully placing her paws thoughtfully with every step as to avoid stepping on any sticks that would alert her position to any lurking prey. A nice fat bird, a rabbit, anything would be nice - if she could catch a few too it would be a blessing for all.

Instead of a rabbit, what she saw as she wandered the woods in no particular path, winding around in fact, she saw a man and froze. Was he a part of the mountain pack she feared would come to chase her and the others away? She shrinks to try and remain invisible, even if her porcelain fur made the woman stick out like a sore thumb in the green and brown environment.

Nervously she bites her lip, wondering what might be the best course of action. If it was a wolf from the mountain, would trying to sneak by him be wise? If she was caught sneaking around, certainly it would make things worse. With a thick lump in her throat swallowed painfully, she steps out and forces a gentle smile on her face, clearing her sore throat to see if she could gain his attention. “Hello.” She says as calmly as she could, gauging his reaction in what she should do next.

Run, or stay and chat.
^^

+1 Discovery Points

the staff team luvs u
04-26-2021, 05:20 PM
He should have known that he wasn’t alone out here. The valley was booming with wolves. But to think he had stumbled upon one so suddenly, right as he’d thought about whether he should seek anyone out or avoid them was a little uncomfortable. The stranger called out to him, trying to hide away in foliage. But Stark could see her fur stick out. She was so white.

‘’Uh, yo.’’ was the first thing Stark said that came to mind. He had to say something, after all. But Stark wasn’t the most social. And if he was dealing with a shy wolf, he was certain it would only get more awkward. She was hiding from him though, which made Stark frown. She didn’t think he was going to bash her skull in, right?

Gosh, this was awkward. Stark swallowed, not sure what to do or say. ‘’I uh- I don’t bite.’’ Really? Was that what he had to say on the matter? At this rate, she was gonna think he DID bite. Stark… forced a rather sheepish smile, awkward as all hell. He was still feeling a little salty, so he was trying to keep those feelings at bay, mostly.

the staff team luvs u
Discovery
04-26-2021, 05:35 PM
^^
The sparse greenery thanks to the smoothed ground here didn't offer much coverage for her, and so her heart thudded quickly in her chest as she patiently, worriedly, waited for his reply to her greeting. Legs just waiting to spring into action and lure him away from the group in necessary. He was well-fed, perhaps a little lumbering so she was certain she would be faster than him.

He responded, awkwardly but not aggressively and his eyes found her easily as she expected, and feared earlier. Almost comedically he stated he didn't bite, which she took as a declaration that he was friendly with no intention of running her off for being too close to the mountain pack. Was he a loner too? Or were they just a friendly bunch? She couldn't tell from here. “Are you one of the wolves who claimed the mountain?” She had to be sure, gingerly stepping out from her "almost" hiding space to make their conversation a little more comfortable. With her nose she pointed to the mountain looming near by.

With his smile, she couldn't help but mirror it. Letting her plume sway behind her happily to aid in easing any tension that might be here.
^^
the staff team luvs u
04-26-2021, 07:16 PM (This post was last modified: 04-26-2021, 07:16 PM by StarkSpitfire. Edited 1 time in total.)
She came out of her hiding spot just a little, but seemed as on edge and uncertain as Stark was. Well then, this really was something, wasn’t it? She asked him a question that made him frown, and he shook his head. ‘’Nah, don’t even know them.’’ Hell, he knew zilch wolves here. Besides Leo and Satchel. And Satchel, well- Stark hadn’t seen him in a while. ‘’I didn’t claim shit.’’

It wasn’t the nicest way to say it, but it was the troubled Stark way. And unless you suddenly changed her attitude and tried to chase him off or shove him around like his sister used to, Stark saw no issue with this young lady. He had no beef with her, unless she started beef with him right here and right now.

Didn’t look like that was the case, though.

‘’Haven’t even stepped foot in any mountain. Only been in forests and valleys.’’ he explained. Stark didn’t see himself climb any mountains. He had stamina, but not enough for that kind of thing. ‘’Why? Did you piss them off?’’

the staff team luvs u
04-26-2021, 09:58 PM
^^
The more he talked, the more at ease she felt in his presence. He wasn't a part of the mountain pack nearby and so she didn't have to worry about him chasing her off. With her worries now calmed, she was able to stand more comfortably, stiff legs finding their nimble position once more as she happily stood there to meet the new face.

“No~” She chimed dreamily, eyes shifting to the upper right corner of their orbs before falling back down on the portly man. “At least I hope we did not.” They made such an effort to avoid them after all that it would be such a waste of effort if they did "piss them off" as he said so eloquently.

Lowering her head, she gazed at him from under blackened lashes, wide eyes beckoning him to understand. “We traveled far and tried to avoid their mountain, the last thing we need is for them to come after us.” They were all very tired after all, and who knows how fast Hotaru could move with that leg of hers. They managed to avoid the wrath of one pack leader in the forest South, their luck could only bring them so far.

But since he expressed he wasn't a part of the pack, she could put that behind them. “My name is Reiko, my apologies if I came off as rude earlier.” Sweetly she smiled, hoping to move on from their previously awkward encounter - completely blaming herself for lurking in the shadows.
^^
the staff team luvs u
04-26-2021, 10:43 PM (This post was last modified: 07-28-2021, 11:19 PM by Aso. Edited 1 time in total.)
No indication she’s pissed off thee mountain wolves, so Stark doubted he had to fear for his life if he was in her presence. Sounded like this wolf did a lot of avoiding, though. But… she said ‘we’. Did that mean she was with others? How many more of her were there? Should Stark be worried? Though, if they avoided packs and hid themselves like she had done around him, then there shouldn’t be a problem, no?

Stark huffed softly at her introduction. ‘’I’m Stark.’’ he said, and quickly added while trying to not make it sound like he was bothered by it, ‘’It’s fine. I’m not the most social, anyway.’’ Yeahhhh, he really needed to work on himself in that aspect.

‘’‘We’, huh? You got more with you?’’ he asked, curious. ‘’Can this ‘we’ beat me up?’’ Stark hoped not, he didn’t want to deal with some crazy wolves again. ‘’I ain’t in the mood to fight others.’’

+1 Formation Points

the staff team luvs u
04-28-2021, 09:13 PM (This post was last modified: 07-28-2021, 11:19 PM by Aso. Edited 1 time in total.)
^^
Even if he wasn't very social, he was better than some of the other wolves she had met. Granted she had been fairly lucky on their travels thus far. Meeting only a few, namely the woman who guarded the lands where Hotaru was found, who weren't very kind. He had no intention of chasing her off, which was more than she could ask for right now.

Reiko couldn't help but chuckle at his concerns about the group she was with "being able to beat him up". “Absolutely not.” Hopefully that was enough to calm his own concerns for the time being. The idea of telling him why he shouldn't be concerned didn't sit right with her. Although he seemed harmless, to tell anyone they were all but young women with one injured child didn't seem like the smartest thing to do.

“We are simply travellers, heading North to settle. We have no intention of causing trouble. Even less so to fight anyone.” And hopefully trouble wouldn't find them either for a long time. Life had been far too "exciting" lately. Some quiet time with her children would be nice as soon as Haruki was found.
^^

+1 Formation Points

the staff team luvs u
04-29-2021, 08:47 AM (This post was last modified: 07-28-2021, 11:20 PM by Aso. Edited 1 time in total.)
They could not beat him up, at least, that’s what she said. If that was the truth, then Stark had nothing to worry about. ‘’Good.’’ was all he said to Reiko on the matter. He did wonder how many there were, though. how many more besides Reiko? She didn’t really go in on how many. ‘’I see.’’ came the next best answer. How far north did they plan on going? Reiko sounded like her and her group were a quiet bunch, though. That sounded nice.

‘’How far north are you going? And how many are you traveling with?’’ he asked, seemingly lighting up just a little. His cranky mood was momentarily forgotten even by him. So far the wolves he’d met that he had spoken to were decent, and even nice. His experiences at home had been fairly different. But perhaps, he himself had grown as well. Maybe the new environment did him good.

+1 Formation Points

the staff team luvs u
04-29-2021, 05:28 PM (This post was last modified: 07-28-2021, 11:20 PM by Aso. Edited 1 time in total.)
^^
Stark seemed to lighten up a little more, even if things were still a little awkward and he wasn't talking all that much. Just offering quick answers - it didn't bother her. Reiko was a natural conversationalist that she could easily just talk all by herself and not be bothered by it. Maybe Stark would be bothered if he got his ears talked off, having them pop right off his head out of annoyance and the need to find solace in silence once more after being bombarded with her voice.

“I am hoping for the Tundra, where the snow reminds me and my family of home. I woke up there before wandering for a while, searching for my children.” A form of comfort despite the horrible memories attached to that place near the end of their stay. There were just as many good ones to be reminded of too thankfully that would help bury the awful ones in the sands of time. She even felt comfortable enough to mention why she was wandering so far from the place she hoped to call home. “We are only a few, four including myself.”

With a little tied of her head, she was curious about him too. “Are you —” A pause, hoping she was not being rude for asking the following. “on your own?”
^^

+1 Formation Points

the staff team luvs u
05-16-2021, 12:34 PM (This post was last modified: 07-28-2021, 11:20 PM by Aso. Edited 1 time in total.)
She wanted to go to the tundra? Stark doubted he had ever been to a place like that. He’d been told it had snow, but that was all he knew about it. ‘’Does the tundra have snow? I’ve never been there before.’’ he asked, curious. But if it did have snow… did it have it all year round? Or just in winter? Was the place cold? What else was up there? There were so many questions Stark could have asked, but he refrained from doing so. The only thing that showed his confusion and concern was the frown on his face that got deeper with each thought added to the list.

Apparently Reiko had children, and she was in a group of four, including herself. Were her companions children, or adults? She wasn’t looking after three kids all by herself, right? ‘’Traveling with your children?’’ Was it weird to ask that? Stark had never really properly learned socializing so- he wasn’t sure if it was alright to ask. But not asking would not get him answers.

Was he on his own? Well, yeah. Wasn’t that obvious? ‘’Yup, no one else.’’ he admitted. It wasn’t that bad. He was used to being alone. Or well, he wasn’t. He was used to being mentally alone while in the presence of others, though. Not being appreciated or complimented by your family for your hard work and having your sister rub in your face that she was better all the time did that to you.

Alone in company.

He wasn’t sure if he preferred to be completely alone or alone in company, though.

+1 Formation Points

the staff team luvs u
05-17-2021, 12:31 AM
^^
“It has sooo much snow!” The way she sang the words happily with a little excited two step on the spot, a quick little happy dance of sorts - she was obviously quite excited about the thought of it all. “The further north you go the more of it there is!” Which was always best. Nothing was worse than a cold, non-snowy area as it always felt bitter... lifeless almost with the dying and dead grass. The snow always made things feel just a tad warmer too. How she wasn't certain, but she knew that was a thing.

The following question put a bit of damper on her mood. Her smile fading ever so slightly as she too felt a little awkward by it, but not quite for the same reasons as Stark might have felt. “Not quite.” Though it was getting easier now than it did before her trip, it was still a hard thing to say. Easier, but not easy if that made any sense. At least she didn't have the same horror feeling bubbling up in her just thinking about saying the horrible truth. “When I woke up here I was alone... I went searching for my children and met may wonderful wolves along the way, some remained with me, others found their place elsewhere. I found my daughter so I now travel with her, but my son is... well, my son is still missing.”

She had yet to meet anyone who outwardly called her an awful mother to have lost her children in the first place, but there was always that lingering fear with every new face she met and told the story to. So she paused as she listened to him speaking of his time here on Canis. “Has it been treating you well?” Travelling alone she meant. “I would think it would be lonely... would you like to join us for a while?”
^^
the staff team luvs u
05-23-2021, 07:36 PM
The more snow the more north you went. Stark wasn’t sure he liked that very much, but then again he’s never really spent much time in a snowy area for long. Perhaps he wasn’t used to it yet. He didn’t exactly go looking for snow, to begin with.

Then, she explained things about her group, and how she had simply woken up someplace. Just like Stark had. Was this even possible? Did more wolves end up waking up here without having any knowledge of how they even got there or where they were? Stark was oddly enough relieved he wasn’t the only one. ‘’So you too, huh? You also woke up without knowing how you got there?’’ he asked her. ‘’I wasn’t sure if I was the only one.’’ But now, he knew for sure that he wasn’t. This wasn’t just a one time thing; there were more out there, like him.

Reiko asked about his situation, then. The question about his loneliness. Stark ended up shrugging, not sure how to answer that and doubting he wanted to. He was surprised when she asked him if he wanted to join them, though. He had not expected that. For a moment he stood there stumped, thoughtful. ‘’Ummm.’’ he began, wondering if there would be room for one more.

Then again, he didn’t know this wolves. So why was he even worried about it? He shouldn’t have to care. ‘’I guess if you got room for one more?’’ he finally settled on. He wanted to, but also not. There were many various reasons as for why he was uncertain about his decision. If she truly wanted him to join them, he was sure she would press more on the matter. If not, then she would probably not continue about it further and Stark would go on his ‘merry’ way.

the staff team luvs u
06-04-2021, 08:15 PM (This post was last modified: 07-28-2021, 11:21 PM by Aso. Edited 1 time in total.)

I know I've been slow and I'm sorry! Feel free to have him join the group in Tsukiishi in the Tundra since they are settling there!
^^
You too, he asked rhetorically she figured. With a solemn nod she couldn't help but try to smile as if it would help the realization of his. “You would be surprised if I told you there were many others who found themselves like us. I have yet to even meet a local born here.” The final statement was said softer than the previous one. As if it saddened her to think of such a truth.

Maybe knowing they were all in the same boat would make it easier? It was hard to tell honestly. If it felt hopeful or terrible that all were finding themselves just as lost as they were. No answers would come of either. Honestly, it all just depended on what side of the coin one would rather look at; and Reiko was simply stuck looking at the middle part, the slender ride of which her coin seemed to stand on awkwardly. 

“We absolutely do Stark.” Finding her smile once again, tail fluttering happily behind her. His words also helped to snap the woman out of her own thoughts. “You can stay for as long as you like the company, you can always follow me back to the group and I can introduce you.” Stark was not a meal for her to bring back, but a new face could be just as much of a pleasant surprise was it not?
^^

+2 Formation Points

the staff team luvs u
06-23-2021, 11:36 AM (This post was last modified: 07-28-2021, 11:21 PM by Aso. Edited 1 time in total.)
So sorry for the wait, I finally found time to post. ;-;

Another wolf much like him, and she even admitted that so far, she had not yet met a single local born wolf. Where did everyone come from, and how had they all ended up here? There really was no memory, at least not for Stark. Seemed like Reiko did not know, either.

It was a relief in a way. He wasn’t crazy, he wasn’t broken in the head. This wolf just confirmed it. And despite being strangers she wanted to take him to her group, introduce him to the others. Stark was a little nervous about that idea, but he really didn’t feel comfortable being lonely much longer in a world he did not know at all. ‘’Then- I would like to come with you.’’ he told her.

Stark had noticed the change. Now that he had nothing to go back to and no family to ridicule him, he had become a little more calm, more mellowed out. He wasn’t as angry anymore, not all the time anymore, at least. Maybe he wasn’t like his father after all. Maybe his family had driven him to believing that since they looked so much alike in appearance.

But without his family here and without his father here, Stark felt he finally had a chance to become himself. Not the spitting image of some asshole, forced to follow his path because everyone judging him and expecting it of him, but him becoming his own being. He offered a shy and awkward smile. ‘’Did you plan on bringing anything back to them?’’

She was out here without her family. There was no way she had gone for a simple stroll when this world was just as new and confusing to her as it was to Stark.

+2 Formation Points

the staff team luvs u
scroll to top