Welcome to Canis Major

a wolf and animal rpg (role-playing game)

Canis is a writing community for play-by-post (forum-based), freeform roleplay set in a fictional dream world in the intrusion fantasy genre. Most characters on Canis are wolves; many play elements are focused around wolves and canids, but the world makes room for a large variety of other animal characters such as dogs, horses, cats, bears, deer, and many, many more.

Our community is focused on flexibility, creativity, and collaboration. That boils down to a few important features:

• There is no set activity requirement to write
  • The setting and plot are member-created and staff-supported
  • The game is continuously improved to increase fun and decrease stress

Learn more in our Rulebook!

Group Only
upon snow and ice

Group Only
Hrafnsvaktin
03-10-2024, 06:51 PM (This post was last modified: 03-10-2024, 08:19 PM by Laith. Edited 6 times in total.)
for @Stjörnuáti or @Rökkvi when you guys get the chance! <3 and maybe one other hraf member if someone’s curious but hoping to keep it a small group if possible
Keeping the thread with Bartel vague since it isn't wrapped up yet, but I do know I want Laith in hraf, so this is intended to be a joining thread!

It had been a few days since their enchanting encounter with @Bartel, and Laith had given this decision a lot of thought. Having come to the conclusion that he didn’t want to remain stuck in place, stagnating and miserable, the healer had chosen to approach the mountain that the large man had gestured to. The idea of joining a group was more than a little terrifying, but weren’t all of life’s big decisions? It wasn’t any more frightening than the prospect of a life spent all alone, in any case.

It was colder the closer he got to the mountain, but that made sense - and it didn’t bother him as much as he thought it might, to boot. He made sure to stop short of the border, staring up at the steep, imposing slopes. Nervousness settled in his stomach and chest like flittering butterflies, but he had made up his mind. He laid down the little bundle of coneflower he'd picked to offer as a sort of gift, 
and with one last breath to steady himself, Laith tilted his head back and howled for their attention.

He wasn’t sure if he’d be allowed in, but it couldn’t hurt to try.

the staff team luvs u
Paladin
03-12-2024, 12:43 AM
also vague about our thread but 1_face_innocent

He spotted the familiar figure before the howl sounded.

Bartel frequented the trails that allowed those who lived here to safely travel. His scent cloaked the very place. This was his home. He was Hrafnsvaktin as much as anyone else here. Perhaps that was why he had taken it upon himself to close in on the man as a guardian today.

He noted the gift with a brief look of softness.

“You have come,” His voice was warm and he was not as guarded as he might have been with a stranger, but he still stood strong. Proud of his home.

the staff team luvs u
[Image: bartel-pixel.png]
03-15-2024, 01:52 AM
Stjörnuáti's arrival was swift. Gold tinged-cream came to an easy stop next to the man he held in high regard. Bartel was as a brother to him, and often even reminded him of Solpallur. Thoughts flickered to his darker coated sibling before looking from Bartel to the wolf at his doorstep.

“Speak.” The command was not gentle, but it was not stern, either. He wanted to know who had called for him, and why, though he had an idea, an inkling, as he usually did in meetings like this.

Then again, he hadn't been wrong yet.

the staff team luvs u

“Common tongue” | “native tongue (icelandic/old norse) in [q=#9e5d53]”
03-15-2024, 02:20 AM
Laith was pleasantly surprised that the first to greet him was a familiar face. He could not help the way his eyes softened, his tail swishing a few times as Bartel approached. And it might’ve been his imagination, but it seemed the larger wolf was happy to see him as well.

But he hardly had time to respond, because Bartel was soon joined by another man - large and imposing, pale fur blending into the snow where Bartel stood out.

Speak, he was prompted, and so he did.

“My name is Laith,” they began, dipping their head politely. “I’ve heard that this is a place of new beginnings, and that’s what I’m searching for, if you’ll have me.” It seemed straightforwardness was the way to go, so Laith didn’t let himself hesitate. They lowered their head to nose the coneflower forward. “I’ve brought this as a gift. I’m a healer, but I want to learn new trades. To better myself.”

the staff team luvs u
Content Warning
03-31-2024, 01:22 AM
Content Warning
This post contains content that may be unsettling to some readers, including:
  • misgendering (ignorance)
Ah, this one did not balk in the face of few words, or a lack of... sweetcoating. It was refreshing, as was the wolf's own straightforwardness and thoughtfulness. His head tilted slightly, ears cupping forward to listen better to her words. A healer, and an openness to a new start to her life.

“This one is healer too. Of lyf, not of anda. But we have Vala who can teach Laith, who can guide, if she wishes to learn.”

He drew in a breath and glanced to Bartel. Perhaps his decision was a quick one, but he trusted the man at his side as he trusted his own teeth, his own ears, his own mind. “Laith will learn way of mountain. The mountain provides for wolves who work, who do not lazy. If you take... Mm. nota? Use? Yes, this one thinks use. If you take use of those here, the mountain will take toll and Laith will live alone again.”

His English was rough now, unused in his time away from outsiders. “Laith understands?”

the staff team luvs u

“Common tongue” | “native tongue (icelandic/old norse) in [q=#9e5d53]”
scroll to top