Welcome to Canis Major

a wolf and animal rpg (role-playing game)

Canis is a writing community for play-by-post (forum-based), freeform roleplay set in a fictional dream world in the intrusion fantasy genre. Most characters on Canis are wolves; many play elements are focused around wolves and canids, but the world makes room for a large variety of other animal characters such as dogs, horses, cats, bears, deer, and many, many more.

Our community is focused on flexibility, creativity, and collaboration. That boils down to a few important features:

• There is no set activity requirement to write
  • The setting and plot are member-created and staff-supported
  • The game is continuously improved to increase fun and decrease stress

Learn more in our Rulebook!

AW
light is on the way

Morning Sunny/Clear
AW
Content Warning
02-09-2024, 12:23 AM
Content Warning
This post contains content that may be unsettling to some readers, including:
  • kind of disturbing imagery - pup death
Ever since her mom had gotten her foot stuck in that shiny metal thing, she'd been getting skinnier and skinner. Ash had brought sticks and leaves and even a mouse when she'd gotten lucky, but most of those things weren't edible, and her mom had made her eat the mouse. Since she was older and done growing, she didn't need as much food, she'd told the pup. It was better for Asha to eat it, so she could grow bigger. And that made sense, but the mouse had hardly filled Ash's tummy.

She was
hungry. So hungry that it was hard to get her body to move, which was kind of scary because her mom had stopped moving a couple of days ago, and Ash didn’t want that to happen to her, too. It didn’t help that her mother was so cold, because no matter how close Ash snuggled to her side, neither of them seemed to warm up at all.

It was scary. Even though Ash had promised to be brave - and she'd tried, really she had! - with her mom still sleeping, she'd been having a hard time not feeling scared. But she still had to protect her mother! She would get up soon, Ash knew it.

She just really hoped that it would be soon, she thought, snuggled up against her mother's cold, stiff side and burying her nose into dark golden fur. The familiar scent was fading, souring into something Asha didn't recognize, but the pup drew as much comfort from it as she could. Her eyes slowly drifted shut, her body too cold to shiver.

When she woke up, maybe her mom would be better. Maybe they could have food and get out of the snow. Maybe...

Ash opened her eyes and was delighted to find that she was much more aware than she'd been when she'd gone to sleep. She was still hungry, and there was still snow, but it wasn't as hard to move, which was great! A bright grin crossed her maw and she spun around, seeking out her mother's golden frame. Surely if Ash felt so much better, so did-

The girl froze on the spot, brows furrowing and smile fading. Where was she?

"Mama?" she called hesitantly, spinning around to seek the woman out. It was so strange - it was like she hadn't ever been there at all! Even the metal thing and her scent were gone.

Maybe... they were playing a game? Ash let out a nervous giggle, bouncing a few feet through the snow. "Are we playing hide and seek?"

the staff team luvs u
Adventurer
Medic
02-09-2024, 09:18 PM (This post was last modified: 02-10-2024, 06:01 AM by Toska. Edited 1 time in total.)
short short im sorry 1_face_sob

After traveling north with her new companion? Friend? Toska wasn't sure what to call Mister @Aleksei, but she knew she enjoyed his company. She felt safe in his presence and even enjoyed the subtle touch of his teeth on her neck. The golden man had become someone she couldn't imagine her life without. In a way, Toska needed him. She knew that from the moment he decided to call her his little bird.

"Hello, little one." Toska spoke gently, almost afraid to talk any louder than a whisper. The woman looked around, wondering where the child's mother was. There were no foreign scents here, just of her pack. "Are you lost?" She asked as she lowered herself to the child's level.

Toska wasn't sure what to do. She knew leaving the child was not an option, but she didn't want to take her to her den. That would be kidnapping! And she was no kidnapper. "Is your matka here?" Toska was hoping their mother was around. That way the child wouldn't have to be alone for long.

The girl had no real experience interacting with young children, but she wouldn't feel okay leaving her here. "I am Toska, what is your name?" She offered the child a smile as she placed her head on her paws, fixing her olive eyes on the golden pup. She did wonder what Mister Aleksei would say when he saw them together. Just the thought made her cheeks warm, and her stomach flip.

skill; babysitter

the staff team luvs u
[Image: 71310911_Ibsjec0US3G6Bd3.png]
"common" · "polish" · 3-3-3
03-26-2024, 10:38 PM

A soft voice startled Ash into spinning around, eyes round as she stared up at the stranger. Not her mother - too small, too pale, but kind-looking. It made Ash feel a little less anxious, a little more confident. Not alone, at least, and that made her feel better immediately.

The lady said a word - matka - that Asha didn’t recognize, and the pup furrowed her brows in confusion.

“Oh, uh, hello,” she greeted, remembering her manners before promptly approaching the woman, eyes round and beseeching. “Sorry, but I dunno what a matka is.” She shuffled her paws, a little embarrassed - should she know that word?

This lady - Toska - was nice, Ash decided, tail wagging a little behind her. Someone who could help! “I think I’m lost. I went to sleep and I woke up here and my mama is missing,” she said, all in one rush. “I’m Ash. Is this your home, Miss Toska?” she tacked on at the end - manners, of course, because her mama would be upset if she wasn’t using them.

the staff team luvs u
scroll to top