Welcome to Canis Major

a wolf and animal rpg (role-playing game)

Canis is a writing community for play-by-post (forum-based), freeform roleplay set in a fictional dream world in the intrusion fantasy genre. Most characters on Canis are wolves; many play elements are focused around wolves and canids, but the world makes room for a large variety of other animal characters such as dogs, horses, cats, bears, deer, and many, many more.

Our community is focused on flexibility, creativity, and collaboration. That boils down to a few important features:

• There is no set activity requirement to write
  • The setting and plot are member-created and staff-supported
  • The game is continuously improved to increase fun and decrease stress

Learn more in our Rulebook!

Group Only
There is beauty in the little things

Group Only
Adventurer
11-14-2022, 10:17 AM
After this thread, Osamu and/or M’Jakuna may or may not be nearby! Open for Dynasty Wolves <3 (Nomad skill!)

Now that she’d found her way down the cliff face — with the help of the Samurai, @Osamu — Aika continued her journey, wondering if perhaps she may run into the new Empress (her sister, woah), or some other Dynasty member here. Her new family . . . it was very odd to think about.

But nonetheless, she continued, her tail swaying happily as she ventured across her beloved, solid, flat ground. A nice change of pace, it was. Hm… maybe she’d get to see @M’Jakuna again . . . her heart fluttered at the prospect. Such a hopeless romantic, Aika was.

the staff team luvs u

日本 & Common
Translator
Adventurer
11-15-2022, 03:12 AM
He carefully moved along the rocky terrain, jaw red and dripping with blood as he carried a dangling hare in his jaws, brown-furred and thick and rich with scars, a creature who undoubtedly led a life of renown for the species. So focused on his kill and returning to a place he could properly bury and harvest it, the idea of passing by another didn't cross his mind.

Even if familiarity now flitted between them.

the staff team luvs u
11-15-2022, 04:01 AM

Uh oh.

Oh no.

He was here.

“M’Jakuna!” She called with a smile, betraying the intense butterflies that threatened to topple her over. Oh my god, oh my god, were the only thoughts racing through her head when her gaze laid upon the familiar man; would he still deliver compliments, or was it a one-time thing? She sighed at the prospect.

Nonetheless, she'd continue on with a massive grin. “Hi again,” She worked her way towards him, leaving a sizeable amount of space between the two. Before she spoke, she'd give a soft woof to make sure she didn't startle him or drop his prey. Blood laced his jaw and ran down his fur, which made Aika shiver. Bad memories.

But . . . this isn't Homura, no need to worry. “How are you? I mean, you've got food in your mouth, so you can't really talk– uh,” What was she saying?! Get a grip, Aika! Goodness gracious, she was very bad at flirting. “A nod or a head-shake would be good, I don't know.” Well. That was great. She was most certainly done for.

the staff team luvs u

日本 & Common
Translator
11-15-2022, 06:06 AM
The twitch of his ear indicated attention earned before his focus truly shifted, slowing to a stop, and watching carefully as Aika approached in what he'd consider rather high spirits—it wasn't raining today, though, and he wasn't running the risk of leaning too much of his weight on her while crammed in a rather small cave as they waited for the storm out not so long ago. M'Jakuna allowed her to near as far as she would before bridging the gap only a little, a mixture of manners and his acknowledgment that there may be some reason she opted to leave such distance between them. He chuckled at the way her words fell, easily mistaken for a growl with the low rasp of his voice that the slight smile he wore would easily contradict.

He lowered his head to drop the hare, lifting upright with a lick then smack of his jaws as he looked her over; a refresher of sorts that saw him dipping his head in brief greeting. "Aren't you a gift to find again," he said, reassuring. "It'd be foolish to move so fast as to not be able to speak with you." M'Jakuna said, tail flicking with his thoughts, eyes moving from her to scan around the territory they stood on now, then returning to her. "What brought you this way? The prey lured me from the mountains."

the staff team luvs u
Adventurer
11-15-2022, 07:03 AM (This post was last modified: 11-15-2022, 11:47 PM by Aika. Edited 1 time in total.)
Nomad Skill!

"Aren't you a gift to find again," Oh– Uh– Woah, okay, Aika batted her lashes in shock at the compliment (whether or not it was a compliment wasn't obvious enough to her), shaking her head with true modesty; no, she wouldn't accept a compliment from such a charming man! Truly, he was her –Sama in this situation. “Not when there's someone like you around; you certainly outshine my light,” She beamed, grinning it what seemed like an effortless manner, though in reality she was screaming inside. Was that good enough?

She just wanted to be good enough. "It'd be foolish to move so fast as to not be able to speak with you." Aika dipped her head, her cheeks evidently warming at this point. Finally, she'd been able to get a second meeting with him. Perhaps this could be something more than the meet-and-greet with Aloysius. The ebony man filtered into her skull once more. He was always on her mind, he was one of the first people to make her feel this way, and for some reason . . . she felt terrible. She blinked a few times. Back to M'Jakuna! "What brought you this way? The prey lured me from the mountains." “Well, I've been in an exploring-mood lately, you know?”

“Plus, my sister got a group of wolves and now we're re-inventing our old pack! Y'know how I told you about the Fujiwara's? Yeah, that was my old clan; The Fujiwara Clan, of which my parents led. Now, my sister, Izumi, is taking reign as Empress.” It was truly a momentous moment, wasn't it? Part of Aika wanted him to ask about the old clan, but another part of her knew she'd probably cry if she had to recount the details. She doubted M'Jakuna would like that very much.

the staff team luvs u

日本 & Common
Translator
11-15-2022, 08:15 AM
"Nonsense, I am but an ember to your flame," he said, tone drawling out slow and low as he took a daring step closer, his posture loose and his tail offering a momentary wag. M'Jakuna hummed a response to her mention of exploration, he didn't understand it as  something of appeal, having been born and raised in one land—one territory—so long though he couldn't deny there came the appeal in new sights... "I suppose I do, I've come to like discovering new sights... You'd be the most eye-catching, though."

What Aika would tell him next would prick his ears up, tilting his head. "Are you excited? I would hope so, a wolf like you deserves a place to roost as she was meant to," M'Jakuna told her. It'd only been briefly that he thought it, between their last meeting and now, of if Aika could find some place in the world he once knew and would try to bring to this one but, a man loyal to his own alongside a woman he had no doubt would be all the same, he let the idea fall and instead nodded at her, "The Fujiwara Clan... Could I be so privy to learn what your clan was? What may be now...? If you'll follow me, that is." M'Jakuna's words were explained in his actions, lifting the hare off the earth like so, stepping a little past her, tail brushing pale fur, all intent to lead her to the spot he'd claimed for now.

the staff team luvs u
11-15-2022, 08:38 AM
On mobile so apologies if it’s a lil crusty lol

An ember to her flame? There was no way this could be but a coincidence — was he doing this on purpose? The way his gravelly voice filled her ears, boomed around the grass; it made Aika feel giddy. Was this something . . . special? She smiled. "I suppose I do, I've come to like discovering new sights... You'd be the most eye-catching, though."

WHAT. Aika stared, dumb-founded, as he outright called her eye-catching. Her gaze flicked between the sight ahead, and the beautiful man before her, a very very happy grin spreading up face as she giggled softly. “No, you’re the eye-catching one. From where I come from, most pelts are pale, though yours . . . beautifully unique. Shadowy in all the right places,” She ended her sentence with a chuckle, aiming to flick her tail into the sire’s side.

"Are you excited? I would hope so, a wolf like you deserves a place to roost as she was meant to," “I am quite excited, though I’ll never be able to dull my love for a nomadic lifestyle. I just hope my sisters — and my brother, though he’s less . . . pestering — won’t keep me bound to their lands too often,” She joked, finding it increasingly more easier to talk to M’Jakuna. Something about interacting with him made Aika feel so calm, and just . . . content. It was nice. He was nice. "The Fujiwara Clan... Could I be so privy to learn what your clan was? What may be now...? If you'll follow me, that is."

“Oh, do please lead the way!” Aika smiled, her own tail wagging as his brushed against her pelt. Clearing her throat, the lady would squint, trying to figure out where to start. “We lived in the Wisteria Fields, which gave us our namesake. We were very traditional, with roles and ranks to pursue; it was perfect, and the Clan held pacifist-ish beliefs, though we had Samurai to guard us.”

She breathed, as if breathing life into a painting of what was once her world. Aika continued; “Unfortunately, the Samurai weren’t enough to stop a man and his army from wiping us out on the night of a scarlet red moon; it seems the light in the sky delivered the message of a prophecy of blood before we’d realised. Homura was . . . a terrible man; he wanted to use my sisters and I in awful ways. Many lost their lives,” The siamese took a breath, looking over to M’Jakuna. How would he take in all of this?

“Including me.” She felt an uncomfortable silence stretch, whether or not it was long or short. She shivered, blinking back tears as a sniffle filled the air; she wouldn’t dare cry, no matter how much she missed the clan. They were her everything; her all. They were perfect. “I miss them, y’know? I want to make them proud. I want to honour them . . . I want . . . to be good enough for them. Sometimes I feel like I’m setting myself up for failure.”

Goodness, what was she saying? She barely knew this man! Shaking her head, Aika would sigh in frustration, dropping her head to the ground as she groaned. “I’m sorry, I really shouldn’t be telling you any of this.” Please don’t hate me, or think I’m weird. Her mind begged. Please.

the staff team luvs u

日本 & Common
Translator
11-15-2022, 07:44 PM
"I could say the same to you," he said to her, eyes far from subtly tracking along her spine, settling on her shadowed face; he was accustomed to that, dark shakes, rich colors—this pure white she wore was something new to behold, it made him curious all the same, brows inched in careful observation. "It's as though the snow kissed you." M'Jakuna punctuated this with a motion of his head at her chin. "Should we all be so lucky as to know someone like you so closely."

M'Jakuna nodded as she spoke, not voicing his distaste for such nomadic tendencies when he was having to behave within their bounds; he did see why it appealed, some wolves didn't think the stagnancy of a territory to be entirely enriching. That was fine, he'd always been the sort to reside loyally, waiting for the return. "Surely they will, a good leader doesn't restrict; they know a loyal member always finds their way back," said M'Jakuna, believing this strongly—all restriction did was breed resentment. Then, as one, they were on their way, almost side to side as he led them onward.

For some time, he let her do the talking, navigating quietly save for a few rumbles and grunts of adjusting to the terrain as it dipped and leveled. "It sounds real lovely," he said to her, observant enough to note the shift in her expression, how her thoughts trickled into the way she walked and M'Jakuna slowed ever slightly to glance at her. He'd heard of such things before, after all, a wolf's greatest enemy was their wolven kin—packs decimating packs wasn't uncommon in his land though he managed to help his pack thrive in the peaks of mountains, their passive assistance making them no overt enemies and their defenses honed enough he'd never doubted them when it came time to defend; always on the frontlines, too. What she said next, though, it confused him—she had died? Poor thing... His happening in this world  was so vague, subtle. "There's not much one can say in the face of such tragedy... though I'm sorry you and your people endured it."

Maybe not intuitive but aware enough to see how the light struck her eyes, tears. M'Jakuna let out a rumble as he shifted, turning to face her, flicking an ear. "Don't be apologetic, it sounds like you're carrying something heavy, Aika," he said, closing the distance between them so that he could ever so gently brush his heavy head against cheek, then next. A reassurance of sorts he'd deliver to any of his pack. "You'd only set yourself up for failure if you didn't try." M'Jakuna lifted his head from her, offering a somber look that didn't fade as he moved to press his forehead to hers, further reassurance. "Grief is a miserable thing, muddies efforts but you're well, Aika, you're well—taking breath and doing now, you'll honor them as they deserve."

the staff team luvs u
11-15-2022, 08:00 PM

"It's as though the snow kissed you. Should we all be so lucky as to know someone like you so closely." WOAH WOAH WOAH WOAH, SOUND THE ALARMS! While her face was peaceful and modest as she spoke, inside Aika felt like she was going crazy; did he want to kiss her? Because goddamn, that’s what it sounded like!

He gave little sentiments here and there, slowing to a stop as she herself finished speaking. His reassurance was nice, and Aika felt a small smile tug at her lips as he brushed his head against her cheek, and then rested it against her forehead. "Don't be apologetic, it sounds like you're carrying something heavy, Aika," She nodded hurriedly, eyes screwed shut as to not let the tears spill onto her cheeks.

"You'd only set yourself up for failure if you didn't try." Really? Aika didn’t know if she believed that or not. Was it really that easy to just . . . not try? The lady nodded once more, this time slower as she caught her breath. It’s okay. Everything’s okay. She had company, and reassurance, and M’Jakuna was here for her. Aika breathed. "Grief is a miserable thing, muddies efforts but you're well, Aika, you're well—taking breath and doing now, you'll honor them as they deserve."

And that’s when she broke down.

Honor, effort, expectation, she felt like she was being crushed underneath the pressure of a clan that no longer stood; by the ghosts of the past, whipped away by the sands of time, though this was an entirely new world, where not even her ancestors could follow. She sobbed. She missed them. Aika looked up at M’Jakuna. “I’m sorry,” Came a soft whisper as tears ran down her cheeks. “I don’t know what’s happening to me.”

She felt like she was running out of time.

the staff team luvs u

日本 & Common
Translator
11-16-2022, 03:28 AM
He didn't have to see her to know she was weepy, sighing out something rough as he withdrew a little to look down at her as she looked to him, delivering her the respect of not acknowledging how the sun struck tear-slicked cheeks, or the way sobs wracked her shoulders in such a way that he could feel with their proximity.

M'Jakuna tilted his head and brought his nose to her cheek, licking once, a gentle comfort he'd often shown his closest counsel—he knew her barely but... she deserved reassurance. "You're grieving, Aika," he said to her. "It's something you have to feel, as much as I wish you didn't... It'll be a weight you can't bear otherwise." After a beat, he concluded, "But I'm here right now... and your sister... She surely wouldn't want you to grieve through this alone. Where is she?"

the staff team luvs u
Adventurer
11-16-2022, 04:06 AM (This post was last modified: 11-16-2022, 04:13 AM by Aika. Edited 2 times in total.)
Nomad for note of looking for Izumi

He licked her cheek in comfort, and Aika chuckled, her face probably warm to his touch. Her tail wagged back and forth affectionately, as she tried to lean herself against him just as he had when they were smushed in that tiny cave – she wasn't thinking; was she moving to fast? Aika felt a rush of both affection and panic take over her, though she remained still. "You're grieving, Aika," She nodded slowly. Aika . . . knew that, she thought, but . . . she didn't know how to manage it. How to not break down and cry every time it was brought up.

She needed to be strong. "It's something you have to feel, as much as I wish you didn't... It'll be a weight you can't bear otherwise." “So . . . In order to feel better . . . I have to cry? To– uh– flush it all out of my system, I suppose?” She guessed. Well, everytime she cried she had felt at least a little bit better, but what if she was around people? That'd be embarrassing, wouldn't it? Well, for some reason, being vulnerable around M'Jakuna felt . . . nice. "But I'm here right now... and your sister... She surely wouldn't want you to grieve through this alone. Where is she?"

“Thank you for being here with me,” She begun. “I don't know where she is, but I can look for her.” She took a deep breath, sitting back on her haunches and hanging her head low; she was disappointed in herself. What if she was being too emotional? What if she scared him away? “This is only our second meeting,” The lady chuckled softly, shaking her head as she craned her neck back up. “I feel like crying this much to someone I barely know isn't exactly . . . healthy. I don't want to scare you away; you're not exactly someone I'd like to lose.”

She sent out a hook; a test; would he take the bait?

the staff team luvs u

日本 & Common
Translator
11-16-2022, 04:31 AM
He allowed her search for touch to find its landing, licking once more over her cheek in a finalized action as he allowed her to find her bearings, breathe, and think of... so much, he realized. More than one soul should have to face. M'Jakuna stayed within range so that if she so desired, she could twitch closer and find whatever it was she sought.

"That's the thing about grief... it never flushes out, you always bear it—but where I come from, what we believe," he said, lifting a paw to motion vaguely. "Grief is the love you hadn't the chance to give the lost, because you love those who aren't with you now, you'll carry that grief as you carry your love." M'Jakuna wasn't the pessimistic type, though, and he looked to her right then with a soft flicker of his expression that twitched his lips in a quirk of a smile. "But it grows easier to carry, with time that is. You won't always feel as you do now."

M'Jakuna had dealt with enough loss in his life—more than one close call—his mother falling ill... he was sure he'd lose her. It made this belief firm. Another flick of his ear, he hummed. "Let me walk you some of the way? At least for a little while. No reason for you to travel alone," he said, moving at an angle so that he could use his muzzle to press to her bottom jaw and lift her head up. "You couldn't scare me away with something so natural as crying, Aika, and losing me is a hard task. You're stuck with my presence, really, for as long as you'll grace me with yours."

the staff team luvs u
Adventurer
11-16-2022, 05:41 AM (This post was last modified: 11-16-2022, 05:58 AM by Aika. Edited 1 time in total.)
Nomad

"That's the thing about grief... it never flushes out, you always bear it—but where I come from, what we believe," He gave a vague motion with his paw; and easy distraction for Aika to latch her eyes onto to distract herself from sniffling and crying. His words filled her ears and dragged her to some sort of paradise up above; "Grief is the love you hadn't the chance to give the lost, because you love those who aren't with you now, you'll carry that grief as you carry your love." “I have, um, a question about grief, since you're so wise,” She chuckled, her words only half-joking.

“If my grief is love for someone I've lost . . . can I take that love, and, give it to someone else? Would it make the grief feel not as bad?” Her tone was pathetically hopeful as she looked up at the man, eyes glimmering with a mixture of tears and also hopeless adoration; she barely knew this man – what was she thinking? He was all too confident in his compliments – was he trying to worm his way into her head? She mentally sighed. Apparently grief was easier to manage with . . . time. It'd been a year or so, why had these feelings only sprung up again recently? She'd been so . . . care-free at the beginning. Where had that version of her, the one that was undoubtedly prefered, gone?

And then he gave her an offer she simply couldn't refuse, though she knew she'd want to talk to Izumi about this charming man later, once she found her. "Let me walk you some of the way? At least for a little while. No reason for you to travel alone," Aika gave a nod. “I'll gladly take any extra time with you,” She hummed, aiming to flick her tail against his own pelt. See? She could be purposefully flirt-y, no matter how odd it was (and how inexperienced she happened to be). "You couldn't scare me away with something so natural as crying, Aika, and losing me is a hard task. You're stuck with my presence, really, for as long as you'll grace me with yours."

“Well, I believe that'd be time well spent,” She could be intense, she could be sad, but while it wasn't frequent, she could also be flirty! Yeah, bring it on, world, because Aika could totally own this whole concept of "mutual courtship." “You're quite the charmer, you know; you've got me captivated.” Her eyes twinkled as she spoke, standing with a playful smile. She assumed her sister would probably be down south, where it was less rocky, so . . . off they went!

potential fade, or maybe we can bounce some more flirts around idk lmao

the staff team luvs u

日本 & Common
Translator
scroll to top