Welcome to Canis Major

a wolf and animal rpg (role-playing game)

Canis is a writing community for play-by-post (forum-based), freeform roleplay set in a fictional dream world in the intrusion fantasy genre. Most characters on Canis are wolves; many play elements are focused around wolves and canids, but the world makes room for a large variety of other animal characters such as dogs, horses, cats, bears, deer, and many, many more.

Our community is focused on flexibility, creativity, and collaboration. That boils down to a few important features:

• There is no set activity requirement to write
  • The setting and plot are member-created and staff-supported
  • The game is continuously improved to increase fun and decrease stress

Learn more in our Rulebook!

AW
The Devil's Got a Hold on Me

Evening Fog 45° F
AW
Discovery
03-29-2021, 09:33 PM (This post was last modified: 03-31-2021, 04:37 AM by Aso. Edited 2 times in total.)
@Vengeance ;)

Since he awoke in the tundra, Aries failed to find any answers to his whereabouts. The same could be said for other faces...ever since the boogeyman he had somehow avoided the graces of all other wolves. The fire-clad man knew he wasn't alone, scent trails proved that others walked about in whatever purgatory this was unless ghosts left scents. It was fine and dandy at first, but now it was just boring.

His paws led him south by the mountains over the river and through the woods to...grandma's house? No that didn't sound right— this was some sort of clearing of trees along with some foliage here and there. A low-hanging fog did its best to make the area creepy, but to Aries, it seemed like the chance for some fun. Maybe he could spook someone? Several scents seemed to cross through here, travelers, prey or...

Or something vile.

There was an undeniably familiar stench that hung in the air. Seems like that stinkbug found his way out of the snow too, maybe even a hole to bury up in and call home based on how his scent crisis crossed around the field. Only issue was where? Standing amongst the foggy field, Aries glanced around him finding no one at a glance then tilted his head back and shouted, AY, YO where everyone at?!

+2 Discovery Points

the staff team luvs u
Discovery
Nightwalkers
Formation
Content Warning
03-29-2021, 09:45 PM (This post was last modified: 03-31-2021, 04:38 AM by Aso. Edited 2 times in total.)
^^
The Devil kept to himself around the borders this evening, passing by Sam's rotting corpse of which maggots and flies had now called their home until there was no substance left for them to feed on. Soon the rotten stench of death would fade, leaving nothing but the foul odor of the Warlord himself to invade the senses once more as the predominant odour of the mist. Leaving nothing but bones to warn others of what lurked within its confines.

What brought him out of the woods and into the hills of his hunting grounds, well, soon to be favored hunting grounds of the Nightwalkers in general - was a voice that rang almost familiar. A ting of annoyance tickled his spine as the grotesque goliath changed his path to follow the cry of an annoyed individual demanding an audience.

It couldn't be.

A full moon cycle ago he met the fire-licked man in the Tundra, before meeting Hydra and Lumiya, long before Celnes and the Nightwalkers forming... there could no way in hell be the same man that found himself at the Warlord's borders. Slowly he approached, picking out their silhouette in the mist first before speaking. “Around.” He took a sniff at the air... it was definitely familiar. “Did you try and pull stuff out my ass again?”
^^

+2 Discovery Points

the staff team luvs u
Vengeance is a disgusting, terrible character. I do not condone anything he does or thinks of IC, and though I enjoy writing him, he also disgusts me often. He is a villain and nothing more.
Discovery
03-29-2021, 10:21 PM (This post was last modified: 03-31-2021, 04:37 AM by Aso. Edited 2 times in total.)
And as if on queue, out came the beast, fog breaking like tendrils around him as he stalked into view. Ugly as ever and clearly unimpressed the warlord stood before him as he spoke. It had almost been long enough that Aries forgot about his jest, but not long enough. A crooked grin cracked his blank expression, No, it's far too up there to pull out. Maybe that was what soured his mood. Whatever was rotting inside him couldn't be healthy, poor fellow.

Seems like you found your meat. He gestured to the path he had walked, the path he had now left as droppings from his pelt were left scattered in his wake. It was obvious that he was no longer alone from the way other scents mingled with his. A pack perhaps. What's got ya grounded? A lady? Unlikely. What gal would want to settle around here, with this. Aries gestured to the beast before him in his mind. Unless it was some poor gal, they could certainly do better.

Maybe it was just for him. The scenery sure suited him like some sort of horrid pup tale meant to keep kids at bay or scare them. A large stinky beast in the woods, shrouded by fog and if you called loud enough he would answer. An offering would be needed, despite plenty of prey surrounding him, he'd much rather crunch on your bones.

Funny thing, he was just about spot on.

+2 Discovery Points

the staff team luvs u
Discovery
Formation
Nightwalkers
03-30-2021, 12:56 AM (This post was last modified: 03-31-2021, 04:19 AM by Aso. Edited 1 time in total.)
^^
Just as before, the guy was all smiles and had a certain air about him that Vengeance could not simply put his paw on. It was mischievous with a sting of malevolence. All he offered as a reply about that proverbial "stick up his ass" was a snort. Nothing indicating incoming hostility - no more than his usual simmer at least.

The man gestured behind him, the silver glimmer of bent grass indicating where the darker of the two had come from pointing out he was already aware of the pack that was forming beyond the hills. It pleased him to know their scent lingered even out here so obviously. “You could say that.” He wasn't wrong after all. There were at least a couple of them wandering in his woods, some as members, one as a guest and another forceful follower.

“There are a few among the men who follow me.” Making it clear that this was his claim, well... perhaps not the land they were standing on now, but more or less by extension. This time he waited for the man's response, is that what had him call out previously? Did he want to know of the pack who was laying claim to the mist?
^^

+1 Formation Points

the staff team luvs u
Vengeance is a disgusting, terrible character. I do not condone anything he does or thinks of IC, and though I enjoy writing him, he also disgusts me often. He is a villain and nothing more.
03-30-2021, 01:29 AM
"There are a few among the men who follow me."

So that was it huh? He had formed his own group, and somehow, managed to convince a few ladies to follow too. Maybe their nose was broken, or perhaps they just liked the promises he made. Surely no one would mess with a wolf when this warmonger was their leader. Hmm...but a leader like him was bound to bring trouble, rather it be from within or those seeking... something else.

So what's it like? You don't seem like the type to settle down and enjoy whatever so it must be interesting. Well, interesting was one word he could use to describe a pack of savages. At the very least, consider himself interested.

the staff team luvs u
Formation
Nightwalkers
Discovery
03-30-2021, 02:05 AM (This post was last modified: 03-31-2021, 04:19 AM by Aso. Edited 1 time in total.)
^^
As the air hung between them, the mist swirled in a waltz with each breath that the titan pushed from his lungs. Pushing and pulling with almost a life of its own as the horizon continued to darken with each passing second. The fleeting beauty of a sunset was always so brief and yet it was completely, and utterly ignored by the two men as they ignored its pastel colors brilliantly displayed for the world to see.

Even the twilight now began shading his own visage as his back stood against the fading light, leaving nothing but the shine of his eyes as he watched the strange man, waiting for his answers and reason for being here, for yelling out the way he did. “Interesting is an understatement.” How was one to explain what had transpired since his arrival? The violation of his member for her to understand her position in the pack. The prisoner he held in his mist. The corpse at his door.

Exciting.” Blackened lips twisted into a sharp grin, the glint of stained teeth shining in the dim light cast by the dying light. “I collect only the strongest, you can imagine the types of personalities we have I presume. We are small, but growing quickly.”
^^

+2 Formation Points

the staff team luvs u
Formation
03-30-2021, 02:42 AM (This post was last modified: 03-31-2021, 04:19 AM by Aso. Edited 1 time in total.)
The other's lips twisted, a sinister grin of his own taking shape as he simply slipped out a single descriptive word. Exciting. There was a familiar flame burning in Aries' gaze, one that the looming man might remember from the tundra after his lip had been sliced open by his own fangs. Had he ever seen the beast smile before? No, he was almost positive, and now he simply had to see for himself. A band of warriors? Exciting indeed. He wanted to see just how strong these others were to receive such praise, maybe even become one.

And what exactly makes one worthy of your interest? He could bargain a guess. Strength meant power or a show of force. Unconsciously, his tongue swept over the mostly healed mark along his jowl, his paws taking him a few steps closer moving slowly as if he might circle. Would he be the one to make the first move or would he deny him the chance before Aries had the chance to even prove himself?

+2 Formation Points

the staff team luvs u
Formation
Nightwalkers
03-30-2021, 04:11 PM (This post was last modified: 03-31-2021, 04:20 AM by Aso. Edited 1 time in total.)
^^
It wasn't too surprising that a man like this should some kind of interest in the idea of a 'band of warriors'. He came off as the type to thrive in that chaotic environment, though in an uncouth kind of way, a black sheep so to speak who had more so a certain amusement for it rather than the basic enjoyment the others seemed to have.

The strange man was already on the move, apparently having an inkling of what might pique the Warlord's interest in him to join their little group. Truth be told there were various things that held his interest in each of his members, all having their own unique flavor. Some spoke of past experiences that might be of use, others had a certain spark to them, some even simply promised to have a use later on once they were trained properly...

However, none of it meant a permanent place among them, one, in particular, having a final line to hold on to before being stripped of their Nightwalker title.

As the firebrand began to slowly move, Vengeance kept his eye on the lad. Moving and shuffling just enough to keep his eyes on the man get an easy blindsided strike. “Wouldn't that make it less fun if I told you?” Figure it out, he dared.
^^

+1 Formation Points

the staff team luvs u
Paladin
03-30-2021, 11:07 PM (This post was last modified: 10-14-2021, 02:27 AM by Aso. Edited 1 time in total.)
As he paced, the other turned both eyeing each other carefully. He seemed content keeping his secrets, a dare almost for him to advance with a show of strength, or perhaps a death wish for someone foolish. If it was the latter, then Aries would be out of luck. A guttural growl came to life in his throat, though oddly enough it was almost giddy. One step, and then another, then he was off, his paws quickly carrying him towards that matted scroungy pelt.

Now you're talkin' more my style!

He bore his fangs, and just like the first time would try and grab hold near the man's haunch, though this time he wouldn't hold back. Surely the warlord would retaliate with a rivaling speed, but he'd find out quick enough that Aries wasn't afraid of a little bite.

the staff team luvs u
Formation
Nightwalkers
Discovery
03-30-2021, 11:23 PM
^^
It seemed the two men were like-minded enough that the little taunt was enough to initiate a battle. The firey man was evidently excited, wasting no time to make the first move and quickly move through the damp grasses to stain them red with the Warlord's blood. Only a few days ago he and Caligula had gotten into a similar spar, and Vengeance's wounds were still healing to this day. Thankfully where the strange man's teeth landed were nowhere near the fresh scabs.

However, as he reached around to retaliate, the stretching of skin was enough to summon a little bit of blood from his neck wounds, still, it was not enough to distract him from the new opponent. He was a Warlord, after all, wounds were natural and beautiful on his skin. The pain excited him and mist shifted angrily in swirls as the deadly dance continued.

Twisting around like a furious snapping gator, he aimed for the man's hip or knee with snapping teeth. Vengeance's tail remained lower than usual, protecting the more sensitive parts from being snagged; any man would feel that natural urge to protect the family jewels regardless of how "friendly" a fight may be.
^^
the staff team luvs u
Content Warning
Paladin
03-31-2021, 01:30 AM (This post was last modified: 10-14-2021, 02:27 AM by Aso. Edited 3 times in total.)
Content Warning
This post contains content that may be unsettling to some readers, including:
  • Graphic Violence
  • it's not really that bad but ya kno
His paws hit the earth like drums, each step brought a trickle of energy as if the ground fueled him. Much to his own surprise Vengeance would not dodge either. Aries' fangs found their mark, digging into the man's dirtied fur until tooth broke flesh and the metallic taste of blood met his tongue. His snout scrunched as the pinch and burn of his own flesh could be felt, an equal bite taking hold near his hip.

The slight tuck of the warlord's tail did not go unnoticed, though luckily he had no interest in another man's balls. Their positioning left one another flank to flank, but the gap between would be enough for him to weasel his way to the face if he was fast enough. Locking his jaw, Aries made sure to tug and rip at the man's side, insistent on making the pain something he couldn't ignore before quickly letting go, using the momentum of his tug to aim his fangs at the other's maw.

He would find no hold here, but the flesh near one's face was always delicate. Upon their last meeting, he had been the one to earn a slash, it only seemed fitting that he now bestowed the same. If he was lucky, pain or shock might release the grip on his own leg, and if not then he would just have to grab hold at the nearest purchase to avoid losing his ground.

the staff team luvs u
03-31-2021, 02:10 AM
^^
Oh there was pain, the key was to ignore it and let it fuel your next move as far as Vengeance was concerned. What was life without a little spice after all? Pleasure and pain were one in the same after all, well, at least, he could have sworn a pin-faced guy once said before.

As soon as the other guy had let go of his backside, Vengeance wasted no time swinging around himself. Making sure both men were face to face, tooth to tooth as both crocodile smiles met one another. One yellowed and stained, crooked and twisted - the other, well, more maintained at least with pinkish gums. Their meeting was brief, just a passing breath until the hellbrand lashed out and sliced the mist lord's muzzle similar to that of which he had left him back in the Tundra.

With their faces colliding and the reddish man's attack scrapping the top of his snout, Vengeance took the low road. Accepting his fate and wound on the face to make a beeline toward the throat of his opponent. With no real intention to kill, not yet anyway, but perhaps end this quickly as the opportunity arose. Lunging forward with snapping jaws, he aimed for that sweet spot just under the crook of the jaw. Maybe this would spook him enough.
^^
the staff team luvs u
Paladin
03-31-2021, 02:34 AM (This post was last modified: 10-14-2021, 02:27 AM by Aso. Edited 1 time in total.)
As if they were connected, both men let go at the same time, a whip of their heads to face the oncoming threat as their teeth clashed. A scrabble of teeth ensued though there had been enough breakage that Aries did manage to slice the beast's lip. It came with a price though, too busy making a fitting mark to laugh about later the other had swooped down, jaws finding a hold beneath his own where he had little room to fend off his attacker.

In a true fight, this could be the end, and perhaps it would be his own though did little to phase him. It was strange how in the moment of defeat he still held that stupid grin, or perhaps he hadn't truly admitted defeat. Vengeance could kill him here and now, but instead of begging or waiting for the answer that might be his last, he twisted insistent on grabbing hold of whatever he could along the beast's neck or nape. Unless the hold on his throat tightened he wouldn't give in so easily.

the staff team luvs u
03-31-2021, 02:42 AM
^^
With a mouth full of fur and flesh, he grinned. Knowing that with this hold there was very little his opponent could do - he was certain victory was now in his grasp. Surprisingly, however, and admirably, the man with his throat now at the mercy of another was still not done, still having enough fight in him to twist and snap to try and grab at anything he could. Teeth scraped his back and nape but nothing too concerning, nothing would have him let go just now not until defeat was accepted.

Holding his ground while digging jagged claws into the damp earth below, shifting his weight appropriately to move and keep his grasp on the man in question - he would simply squeeze the throat he held in his grasp and tighten until the other decided they had enough. He liked the fight in this one, and so the pressure would slowly added to give the other time to decide before anything important could be punctured.

It would be a waste to let this one die after all. He did seem intent on joining after all.
^^
the staff team luvs u
Paladin
03-31-2021, 02:48 AM (This post was last modified: 10-14-2021, 02:27 AM by Aso. Edited 1 time in total.)
It was no use. Every bite just slipped from his jaws once more as the pair at his throat slowly closed. He wouldn't give in immediately, but as the pressure began to build he spat out a clump of dirt and fur he had managed to pull free before giving up his struggle. Fine, fine— Now he could only hope that to the other it had all just been a game too. His muscles relaxed as he tilted his head up relieving some of the pressure until he was properly freed. Lucky bite, pal. Yer faster than ya look.

the staff team luvs u
Formation
Nightwalkers
Content Warning
Discovery
03-31-2021, 02:59 AM (This post was last modified: 03-31-2021, 04:20 AM by Aso. Edited 1 time in total.)
^^
Tenacious as he was, it was over. Eventually, the realization sank in and the fight had faded as acceptance sat in its place. Even if the Warlord had no intention of actually killing this interesting man - he toyed with the threat of ripping and shredding into this guy's now relaxed neck. It would be just that easy, and so he held on for just a little while longer than necessary until he too relaxed and stepped away.

“Luck is for those who have no skill.” He mused with a drawl in his tone (as if Noki didn't get super lucky in her roll jfc). As quickly as violence erupted, it was gone. Faded in the mist as if nothing had happened and leaving no trace other than the blood on their faces and backs, leaving a lingering scent to be carried by the swirling pale tendrils.

“” He paused, quirking an intrigued brow. “Are you still interested? I believe I have space for someone like yourself.”
^^

+2 Formation Points

the staff team luvs u
Formation
Nightwalkers
03-31-2021, 03:10 AM (This post was last modified: 03-31-2021, 04:20 AM by Aso. Edited 1 time in total.)
The wait dragged on, almost annoyingly so until finally, the fangs broke way as the beast stepped back. "Luck is for those who have no skill."

He snorted, rather it was out of amusement or annoyance would unknown though. The metal taste on his lips was still thick, mixed with the musk of decay and death. Wherever this guy had been, he had some stories. As for his little test, it seemed he had passed. A golden ticket so to speak handed freely for either his bravery or stupidity.

And here I was thinkin' you'd never ask. Hell he put a lot of trust in some gross boogeyman to not just end his life, but then again what was life without risks? What's your name anyway?

+2 Formation Points

the staff team luvs u
Formation
Nightwalkers
03-31-2021, 03:15 AM (This post was last modified: 03-31-2021, 04:20 AM by Aso. Edited 1 time in total.)
^^
Whatever the reason behind the snort meant little to him - a reaction was a reaction no matter what was the cause behind it; and it amused the victor. He would enjoy the spoils of victory as they last, a blast of serotonin to the brain as his body felt electrified. With a dragged-out lick of his lips to taste the newest crimson liquid that stained them, only after did he answer the next question brought to him.

“Vengeance Rache, Warlord of the Nightwalkers.” Relaxing his facial muscles, he offered a more casual glance than the excited, wide eyes he had before. “And what do I call you?”
^^

+2 Formation Points

the staff team luvs u
Formation
Nightwalkers
03-31-2021, 03:32 AM (This post was last modified: 03-31-2021, 03:32 AM by Aries.)
Vengeance Rache, Warlord of the Nightwalkers.

It was edgy, almost laughably so, but fitting all the same. With the end of their battle, so faded the buzz of excitement. Perhaps he too lived for that thrill, it was hard to tell when a scowl hung heavy on the warlord's lips half the time he saw his face. Aries. Short n' sweet. 

He had no last name, at least not that he remembered, but it mattered little to him. The fireborn leaned forward, almost rocking on his pads as a content smile settled on his face. Show me these Nightwalkers.

the staff team luvs u
03-31-2021, 03:37 AM
^^
Aries, yes, short and sweet and easy to remember. Just how he liked it. With everything said and done, the two would walk back in relative silence to where Aries would call now his "home", only speaking to answer whatever question the new Nightwalker might have. Soon the stench of "stinky man" would stain his coat as well as it hung in a thick miasma in the woods. They would all stink one way or another after a while, it was inevitable.
^^
end!

the staff team luvs u
scroll to top