Welcome to Canis Major

a wolf and animal rpg (role-playing game)

Canis is a writing community for play-by-post (forum-based), freeform roleplay set in a fictional dream world in the intrusion fantasy genre. Most characters on Canis are wolves; many play elements are focused around wolves and canids, but the world makes room for a large variety of other animal characters such as dogs, horses, cats, bears, deer, and many, many more.

Our community is focused on flexibility, creativity, and collaboration. That boils down to a few important features:

• There is no set activity requirement to write
  • The setting and plot are member-created and staff-supported
  • The game is continuously improved to increase fun and decrease stress

Learn more in our Rulebook!

AW
today i'm kinda feeling like a ghost

Sunset Sunny/Clear
AW
04-02-2022, 03:04 AM (This post was last modified: 04-02-2022, 03:04 AM by Amaranth.)
The woman lay in a bed of flowers, her golden frame sprawling in the rainbow of swaying petals that danced delicately on the breeze. The ethereal light of the sunset cascaded across her slender body, tracing her and outlining her in a fiery glow. There was a beautiful sense of calmness that existed here, as soft as the sunset and as vibrant as the flowers. And Amaranth had come here once more to unwind. To think. To disappear.

It was her birthday — or at least she thought it was. Thinking back that far in her own history brought her only visions of red and black and violent consumption. It haunted her rather than cheered her, and it was very rare indeed that she even found herself thinking of the past. And yet her mind continued to drift there, edging toward the wicked memories as if hungry for the pain they brought her. Or perhaps she was simply feeling more sentimental. More thoughtful.

More ... floral.

Valeska's face flooded to the forefront of her mind, and warmth permeated her chest.

A soft smile traced the edges of her lips as she allowed her body to slowly fall to the side. A puff of pollen and petals erupted from around her as her weight crashed gently into the meadow like a ragdoll. Pointed shoulder blades turned to dig into the ground, paws rolling toward the sky as she covered herself in the sweet smells of springtime. A deep breath in. A deep breath out, and she rolled completely over to her other side and stayed there ... basking in every sensation that her senses delivered to her. Overstimulated. Overwhelmed.

It was strange.

Normally, she much preferred the smells of decay.

(Was she ... happy?)

the staff team luvs u
[Image: 36940545_o6akeqfMGh4oIhv.png]
Adventurer
04-02-2022, 05:52 PM
She had no come to this land when it was spring or summer, but rather late fall and winter. She had missed the glorious settings of some, and was patiently waiting for the bountiful casting of the flora across the land. She counted the time, watching the buddings and waiting for when they would sprout to an array of color — she knew somewhere within the plains, that Uriel's gray eyes would be greeted by a meadow of beauty.

Her paws slowly coming across as within the distance could she see the hill of beauty taking hold, sprouted in colorful beauties and shrubs of berries for the eyes to eat. A soft smile, painted across her face as soft steps came closer and closer.. But she saw within a distance, a figure laying within the flowers that was not a bundle of so, but golden, and awfully relaxed as so.

She didn't want to disrupt such peaceful moments, but was ever so curious to know someone, who held the faintest of smell of a pack upon the breeze, was doing within the meadow.

the staff team luvs u
Visionary
04-03-2022, 03:12 PM (This post was last modified: 04-03-2022, 04:00 PM by Amaranth. Edited 1 time in total.)

The sun continued to set, the gentle warmth crawling against her skin and relaxing her aching muscles. Her eyes fluttered shut for a few peaceful moments, her buzzing mind softening ever-so-slightly as she breathed deeply the scents of spring. It felt good to be lost, invisible; a ghost. It felt good to erase intrusive thoughts if only for a moment, to enjoy something much more simple. These moments were rare for a brain as busy as her own, a brain full of thoughts and questions and ideas that often did not have many bases in reality.

But it was not long before the wind brought a different scent, something that would rouse her quieted mind and start the cogs back up once more. Amythyst eyes re-opened, blinking against the sun that was gently nestling into the far-off horizon.

With a gentle turn, her body righted itself, giving a gentle stretch of both halves before arching her back much as a feline would. And as she settled, that hazy purple gaze blinked slowly, scanning the horizon before settling on the golden figure — perhaps a dislodged piece of the sunset itself. There was a glow about the stranger, a softness and gentility that made Amaranth believe she could have been a nymph from another world. There was a fire on her skin and a bitter coolness in her eyes. Amaranth smiled gently ... welcomingly, waving her tail behind her with a nonchalant gentility behind her.

"Amaterasu," she mused, her voice a lilting singsong as her head tilted slightly to the side. "Come to play in the sunbeams with me?" Ears pressed forward, talons raking against the earth as she waited for the sun goddess. If this stranger did in fact come from the sun, would she disappear as it set? If so, Amaranth did not have much time to get to know her.

the staff team luvs u
Adventurer
04-03-2022, 10:37 PM
As the stranger did not will it in a hostility and more of an enchanted willful calling, Uriel approached closer. She was far more golden then herself, there was no bleach upon her pelt and of pure gold itself. Though even eyes were a alluring toxicity, amethysts bringing about a daze in wonder if she was truly staring at you, or beyond what was a mortal form. Unknowing felt herself gulping by such thoughts and views.. The wolves in these lands were a bit too beautiful for a normal wolf.

"I had missed the blooming of flowers, and waited the long winters to see.. They are as beautiful as I imagined." Especially as the sun tilted just rightly to grant even more a scenery. Almost like the clouds parted and graced her own gray eyes from the view, and landing to the stranger. 

It all brought a question — who was she?

the staff team luvs u
Visionary
04-04-2022, 04:23 PM (This post was last modified: 05-02-2022, 02:06 PM by Amaranth. Edited 1 time in total.)
The golden woman swayed gently upon unsteady stilts, dark lips lifting into a serpentine grin. Heavy amethyst eyes were unwavering, encompassing the sight of the wispy sunbeam — perhaps afraid that if she blinked, the other would simply disappear.

But as odd as it was, there was no threat. That much was evident in the soft way in which she stood.

"I had missed the blooming of flowers, and waited the long winters to see.. They are as beautiful as I imagined."

A soft hum of agreement escaped pursed lips. Amaranth's head lilted again to the side, a speck of concern perhaps faltering her ethereal grin for a brief moment. The goddess of the sun had the ability to make flowers grow, didn't she? How could she miss the flowers when the power of creation was at her very fingertips? How long had she been trapped in this apparent eternal winter? And why, now, was she free? Questions flooded her mind, a soft sparkle of curiosity touching the purple crystals of her eyes.

"Where have you been trapped, Sunbeam? That you should not have seen flowers?"

Perhaps Amaranth would gather a bouquet for her new companion to take back with her so that she could always carry a piece of this moment. Or better yet, perhaps there was a way Amaranth could free the Sunbeam from her frigid chains.

the staff team luvs u
04-05-2022, 10:56 PM
She put a paw to her chin and tapped in a thought, "I don't remember." if she said in honesty. Her time before winter was a rather.. Blurr itself, though she remembered she had a family, a pack — and for some reason had to leave. Leaving resulted within herself embracing the winter of this new land, that always seemed in one way or another to drag her back, even when she tried to leave. The terror of the red within the south was still within her mind ; and could only hope she would never see that man again.

She hadn't yet to take note of her new nickname, and was more enthralled by the situation altogether. Within beauty of the sun and flowers, and two golden girls with aimless talk within it's great. Perhaps a garden of eden, to the view of others.

the staff team luvs u
Misc Skill
05-02-2022, 01:40 PM (This post was last modified: 05-30-2022, 03:40 AM by Amaranth. Edited 1 time in total.)
Stylist

“I don’t remember,” the other replied, voice as soft as an echoing memory. Amaranth’s ears flicked, her stance wavering for a brief moment, emulating the way in which the flowers around her lilted and swayed in the breeze. Amethyst eyes blinked thoughtlessly thoughtfully.

”That is the curse of many,” came the hollow, slightly-saddened reply; and her gaze peeled from the sunbeam to evaluate the horizon. The sun was yawning now, nearing the end of it’s sunset dance as the ethereal form of that distant sphere continued to slowly sink behind the horizon. 

Amaranth lowered her head then, quickly snatching a brilliant purple flower in her mouth before turning back to her sunbeam — her broken Amaterasu. Should the other let her approach, she would slink her muzzle toward the nape of the other, aiming to tuck the flower between silken tendrils of glowing golden fur. A token of the moment, before the sunset stole them away from one another. 

She smelled … simple. Of grass and a fresh breeze.

“Where will you go?” Amaranth asked as she pulled away, face once again level with the other.

the staff team luvs u
05-06-2022, 12:36 AM
"Are you one as well?" More and more that she talked to had a mixture of memories simply disappear — or otherwise appear from nowhere. Torn away from a homes and onto new lands. Not many seemed particularly torn by so ; almost as if it was destined, for them to leave. With heartbreaks and broken homes, many landing within canis to renew themselves, and even more.. Some, from death itself. It was scary, and she had to question, was she one of them? But she could not remember.

Uriel smiled, "everywhere," with no roots to tie her so did she see all that there is, "I want.. Friends." In all honest to her heart upon the table. She wanted relationships to form and blossom — she wanted a family and a place to call home. But not by asking to join strangers, to someone she just met ; but to make that happen, to know before all falls through.

She wanted to be safe.

the staff team luvs u
Visionary
05-30-2022, 04:10 AM
Upsidedown Knight of Cups was drawn — click me

"Are you one as well?"

Amaranth smiled softly, ears falling back gently atop her golden crown. "Perhaps," she offered with cryptic optimism. There was no intent to lie to her Sunbeam, no. Amaranth was but an apparition to others ... and perhaps even to herself. "But does a ghost have to be a curse?" she continued enigmatically, raising a singular brow as those ebony lips peeled into a delicate smile. Perhaps Amaranth could offer her more than a bad dream and a scream in the dark.

You know I'm like a ghost, I see it in your face.
And it haunts me that I have to be this way ...

"I want.. Friends." The words, soft and delicate and innocent ... they rang gently in Amaranth's ears. Those soft pinnae that had once been buried against her skull rose with subtle intent, labyrinthine eyes swirling as she appraised the golden Sunbeam. She felt for her. The feeling ... desire ... to be wanted — no, needed.

It was an addiction.

"Little Sunbeam," Amaranth breathed, watching the way the light reflected off of those golden cheeks. "You are Amaterasu. A goddess. Do not let others take advantage of that." Amaranth's head tilted, her gaze somehow empty and intense all at the same time. But there was a softness there, a glass over her eyes as she gently gazed toward that woman. The unnamed Uriel. The Sunbeam.

Amaterasu.

"I know I seem distant, but I could be your friend," she offered softly as if half expecting the goddess of the sun to fade away before the words left her very lips.

the staff team luvs u
06-05-2022, 07:00 PM
For a moment Uriel was wondering whether she was in a dream ; for the woman was gold as the sun itself, and yet her eyes were the very flowers that spread throughout the meadow. Beautiful in amethyst that it almost seemed unreal, and the answers itself was in a cryptic that she only turn her head one side questioningly, but did not further ask what was. Whether she was real or not, the mystery didn't wish to be solved.

Uriel was not used to compliments either, if wolves could blush her cheeks would warm with red. An embarrassment, a shyness as her tail curled around her with a soft smile and the quietness of, "thank you," given, not sure how to receive or even give back the same compliment. All the words that came to mind came blank at the mere thought of complimenting the pretty woman before her, and only uncurled when she mentioned..

"Would you?" an excitement lightly crossing with eyes sparkling ; she hoped today was real.

the staff team luvs u
scroll to top