Welcome to Canis Major

a wolf and animal rpg (role-playing game)

Canis is a writing community for play-by-post (forum-based), freeform roleplay set in a fictional dream world in the intrusion fantasy genre. Most characters on Canis are wolves; many play elements are focused around wolves and canids, but the world makes room for a large variety of other animal characters such as dogs, horses, cats, bears, deer, and many, many more.

Our community is focused on flexibility, creativity, and collaboration. That boils down to a few important features:

• There is no set activity requirement to write
  • The setting and plot are member-created and staff-supported
  • The game is continuously improved to increase fun and decrease stress

Learn more in our Rulebook!

P
I have enough character for multiple lifetimes

Afternoon Overcast
P
04-06-2021, 12:54 AM
^^Elsewhere the Queen of the Forest had found herself in an unusual predicament. Sopping and angry Minthe went beyond her normal amount of anger. Hades paused in his tracks and it was like he could feel those angry steps bit by bit as they stormed closer to him. He turned - looking left, looking right - and there was no one around him at that moment.

The extensive wave of unease was building. There was a great deal he didn't remember about his life before the Forest. He knew he was capable of magnificent things. He could not, however, escape the red ball of pissed off that was directly headed his way.^^
the staff team luvs u
04-08-2021, 03:42 AM
 Minthe wasn’t devoid of a rational mind, it simply enjoyed lots of time off.

“YOU.”

She’d know him in any form, every variation of that stupid, understated charm and awful chiseled face. Honestly, fuck. Hades.

Marching up to him, one cold nose met another. Ears flat, her lips raised in a sneering snarl. “You better have the best explanation for why this is happening or I swear to Gaia I'll go tell Kronos to EAT YOU AGAIN!”

The 'this' was unfairly three-fold. Fur. Forest. And floozy.

the staff team luvs u
[Image: Minthepixel.png]
04-08-2021, 03:50 AM
^^Spectacularly, Minthe went straight for the kill. He knew her in that moment, the way she hissed out you and spat her wrath his way and for a time it was what he'd liked. It was what he felt he deserved. Now....now did he? Was that how he was? Was that who he was? His eyes narrowed and his tail lashed behind him, especially when his father's name and that threat came from her mouth. “Do you remember where he is, Tadpole?” Hades hissed it out, all toothy grins and his impressive height made all the more noticeable when compared to the wall of anger that was Minthe.

“I didn't think you were so eager to visit him in Tartarus, Minthe.”

His eyes smoldered with an almost glow to them, he longed for a cigar. And scotch. Scotch old enough to order itself. It was natural that this was something that would happen, she'd show up, assume he knew, assume he'd controlled it, and then assume it was his fault. “You didn't come.” As if he, or she, or any of them had any control over it. So far it didn't seem like it. If she wanted to lay out blame he'd shove it right back at her.^^
the staff team luvs u
04-12-2021, 01:33 AM
 Theirs was a language of threats, an alphabet of menace. 

What power did a river nymph have over a god? Often dominance was less about strength and more about position. When he posed an accusation of his own, Minthe tried to find her footing.

Crimson eyes narrowed. “So - I get nervous and too drunk to drive and you punish me by sending me here and waving that yellow bimbo in front of my face. That’s low, even for the King of the Underworld.”

the staff team luvs u
04-14-2021, 06:15 AM
^^Minthe wasn't one to back down and Hades never expected her to. But what she did say made his lip curl, sharp teeth flashing for a moment. Yellow bimbo? “Minthe,” He hissed her name out in a warning and it felt like she was trying to make him mad. She'd always been so good at it. “I offered to get you a car. You said no.” How many times had she turned him down? Told him that she didn't want to be seen with him - like she was ashamed of him. “Most of my family is here - Winterheart is different.” A glance would show her that. “And don't talk about Persephone that way.”

His eyes narrowed at the realization she'd already encountered Persephone. “What did she say to you?” He expected Minthe's wrath but this was particularly beyond his mild expectations.^^
the staff team luvs u
04-19-2021, 01:48 AM (This post was last modified: 05-01-2021, 08:51 PM by Minthe_thebitch. Edited 1 time in total.)
 “She said that the two of you were establishing a pack together.” 

Minthe had the emotional depth of a kiddie pool, but she was far from stupid. It was true - he wouldn’t be scolding her like a precociously-mouthed child, spit tasting of soap, if it wasn’t. The reality of those rose-shaded plans made the bite sting, leeching onto the bacterial thoughts that festered in the back of her head.

He was leaving her. She wasn’t good enough.
 How was she supposed to find the value in herself when no one else would see it in her?

“Hades.”

She stepped towards him then, gaze and head lowered, voice faltering. “We’re still - you and I. What we have matters, doesn’t it?”

the staff team luvs u
Formation
04-20-2021, 04:48 AM
^^What she'd said was true. He was proud to admit that, too. Hades wouldn't shy from those details either. “We are.” He confirmed it without any flourish or skirting around things. He wasn't often the type to avoid the difficult conversations.

All at once the angry swell of her rage calmed down. Well, less calmed, and more like it had tapered into a heavy dense sadness that fell between them. “Minthe,” His voice was more gentle this time as she approached and he pressed his cheek against hers. “Are you....were you ever actually happy with me?” Hades asked quietly. To him they were two very different women and he was processing the dump of information over Minthe and the memory of her. Persephone was quite different - her rage simmered where Minthe was liable to take everyone down with her.

“What this is doesn't feel like happiness, does it?” He wondered of course because Minthe seemed to barter items for affection, money and trinkets and lavish gifts for her to grace him with her presence. In this world there was nothing he could give. He had no power, no wealth, nothing. And still Persephone looked at him like he had created it all as her paradise. “This isn't healthy for us, Minthe.” It never had been. Not really.^^
the staff team luvs u
05-01-2021, 08:59 PM
 “Hades.” She parroted his name with the same tone and volume he said hers. Pressing her body against his own, he ducked her head further, her words lilting in a way that was as painful as it was true. 

“We weren’t made for happiness. Your realm, your work, your being -- is gloom. We match, you and I. We could make a go of it, I’ll be better. But trying to build a life with a sun-stained child is nothing but the aftershocks of an existential crisis.”

the staff team luvs u
05-03-2021, 09:08 AM
^^It was a relief when she didn't lash out - it could have gone either way. She could have fought or sagged against him. Instead, her words lashed across him and he struggled for a moment not to just bite back. He let out a soft sigh when she spoke, ears falling back as the King drooped for a moment. “This isn't good for us.” He was firmer this time when he spoke. She had to see it - she had to agree. She couldn't want this. “And I don't want to just settle for what has been. You and I....I don't want to hurt anymore. You don't deserve hurting, either.” Hades said gently.

He stepped back to look her in the eyes - trying to read her emotions and thoughts. He'd never been clairvoyant though. “We aren't in the Underworld. We don't have to just accept being miserable. Persephone.....” He searched for the words for a moment. “She makes me feel valued. Like I'm not just a convenience.” He finally settled on the words but it still didn't truly feel like enough. Hopefully Minthe understood though.^^
the staff team luvs u
05-15-2021, 08:32 PM
 She’d gathered her composure and presented it to him like an earnest bouquet, only for it to wilt under his response. Dry and brittle tendrils now, they sparked to flare a familiar wrath. “You don’t just get to decide to be done with me. You don’t just get to cut me out. How dare you.”

Wheeling then, she squared up in front of him, setting her stance and glaring out a challenge. “Go on. Fight for your freedom if I’m such a heinous bitch.”

the staff team luvs u
05-28-2021, 09:19 AM
^^He could understand how Minthe struggled. How it would hurt her. What he couldn't understand was the choice she made and how she wanted to push back against him - to fight rather than to accept that Hades did want better for both of them. His lip curled as she challenged him, posture effortlessly molding into that of the King of the Forest. “I will not.” Hades had rarely risen to violence the way so many of his family did. His wrath, after all, came long after the rest were done. “You will leave, Minthe.” His word was hissed out, the edict carried on a wind that no bird dared to sing in, no leaves even trembled on that breeze.

The forest was silent.

“I am not yours to release - my freedom has never been a question.” Who was she to try and control a king, to try and tell him what he could have or could not have for his life? He wanted happiness. He wanted freedom. He wanted a chance to feel like Persephone made him feel always and that wasn't the way that he and Minthe made each other feel. She made him feel like he didn't deserve even the most basic happinesses. Minthe made him feel like an imposition. He wanted more for himself.^^
the staff team luvs u
05-29-2021, 05:34 PM
 She cackled a sour note of bitterness. “That’s right. You’ve never been owned. You’ve always just done the owning.” A god, however lowly, was still a god.

The auburn she-wolf tilted her head, a vermillion fire steaming against stubborn blue. “That’s what you’re doing to her, you know. Careful, Hades. You pretend not to be like the rest of your family, but you and I both know you’re just as self-serving in the end.”

Her stance melted, tail flicking out, aiming to brush under his chin as she moved to leave the king with his forest.

-attempted exit-

the staff team luvs u
06-10-2021, 06:58 AM
^^Hades let her say what she wanted to. Whatever she felt she needed to. He wasn't unaccustomed to the sharp barb of her tongue, nor the acid of his typical retorts. “As if you haven't benefited from me.” Hades said, sneering at her before she brought up Persephone again. Was he trying to do anything like Zeus would have? Zeus would have just claimed what he wanted, as he'd done before, coerced her into doing as he pleased. He wanted to give Persephone everything she'd ever dreamed of. Minthe had gotten that from him too - but she'd played a harder game where she'd dangled her time and attention in front of him like a carrot on a stick.

“Jealous isn't a good look for you, Tadpole.” He said and tried to still his tongue from further lashing against her accusations. He wasn't like his brothers, not in the way Minthe suggested, and he wouldn't stoop to that level. He wouldn't answer her. Her tail swished beneath his snout and he snorted her fur away, teeth bared and just barely managing to hold back from the desire to snap at her, the King waited until she'd gone. He resumed his patrol, making absolutely certain that her scent lead out of Winterheart.^^
the staff team luvs u
scroll to top