Welcome to Canis Major

a wolf and animal rpg (role-playing game)

Canis is a writing community for play-by-post (forum-based), freeform roleplay set in a fictional dream world in the intrusion fantasy genre. Most characters on Canis are wolves; many play elements are focused around wolves and canids, but the world makes room for a large variety of other animal characters such as dogs, horses, cats, bears, deer, and many, many more.

Our community is focused on flexibility, creativity, and collaboration. That boils down to a few important features:

• There is no set activity requirement to write
  • The setting and plot are member-created and staff-supported
  • The game is continuously improved to increase fun and decrease stress

Learn more in our Rulebook!

P
when you leave it's the loneliest feeling in the world

Evening Sunny/Clear
P
Formation
04-04-2021, 04:46 AM (This post was last modified: 04-11-2021, 06:04 AM by Hades. Edited 2 times in total.)
^^They'd set out earlier enough to do a big sweep of the Forest again. Spring was solidly blooming around them, birds flew, bunnies were seen going from place to place - it was all nice. He leaned over and touched her snout gently, guiding it up a hair. “Like you're wearing a crown,” He teased with a smile. It had taken him a bit to grow accustomed to the sort of pomp that followed Kings everywhere. She'd settle into it, too. “It's...a lot to take it, but, you get used to it I think.” Hades said. They'd talked a lot of the idea of how to lead, the ideas of what was important to her, to them for their kingdom. “Any questions so far @Persephone?”^^
the staff team luvs u
04-05-2021, 01:06 AM
Spring had come so quickly, the warmer climes not just allowing the flora to flourish but the fauna as well; everything seemed to be coming into its own now that the snows had all melted, and not just the forest but Persephone, too. The more she learned about what leading would be like, the more she felt okay with it. At the same time, the idea of messing up scared her, terrified the girl spun of honeyed sweetness. It felt so easy to mess up, so easy to blunder and do something wrong, to tear down everything they were trying to —

The bridge of his muzzle touched her chin, helping her to lift her head. “Why, though?” Her question was innocent, soft, just as she was. He was right that it was a lot, and while she couldn't imagine getting used to it, the young wolf trusted her friend (king? suitor? companion?). “Just the one for now,” She answered him again, almost immediately dropping her head to peer at small burrow. She sniffed at it, identifying it as a rabbit warren, a good source of food if they ever needed it.
the staff team luvs u
[Image: 32742104_CtCyQBtRsKxdbdr.gif]
— Hades is welcome in any thread Persephone is in, and, may powerplay her if the need is there
— Mother, please stay out of my threads :c
Formation
04-05-2021, 04:11 AM (This post was last modified: 04-21-2021, 09:50 PM by Aso. Edited 4 times in total.)
^^“Why did they all have the jobs they did? Why did Helios control the sun, why did his rays never reach the Underworld? Why was any of it the way it was?” Hades gave her a smile though and one roll of a shoulder in a shrug. “It's a simple way to remind people of your status. If they have to be proven further, well, that's where I come in.” He smirked when he said that - and if there was any part of him that didn't feel like protecting her was the highest priority well, he'd stopped listening to it weeks ago.

He had to turn his head away from her when she'd pressed her head down to sniff at a burrow. He didn't need any more reason for the random intrusions of pictures in his head. Any sense of decorum he'd had tended to fall apart when it came to Persephone. He wasn't immune to her beauty or her charm at all. “No one should disrespect us by their heads being higher - not even family.” He cautioned. “Not when it's all 'business' - Zeus may have been the King of us all, but, in my home there is no other King than me and no other Queen than you.” Hades asserted. He didn't find Poseidon to be disrespectful or reaching. Not the way that others did. It wasn't the same to him. “Are you still unsure about it?” Hades asked cautiously.^^

+1 Formation Points

the staff team luvs u
04-06-2021, 07:30 AM
Persephone had never before reminded anyone of who she was. She'd never wanted to; Why would she want to remind someone that she was just some lowly village girl? The thought made her a touch uncomfortable, a touch insecure. “What would you do?” The little wolf asked, glancing up at him. If he had to prove her claim to others, wouldn't... that invalidate her claim? Her brow furrowed.

“I don't know... A little, I guess? Even the idea of being in charge of others feels a little odd to me.” Perhaps it wouldn't have been, if mother had taught her everything she was supposed to know rather than essentially locking her away and throwing away the key. “And keeping my head up feels awkward...” Had she not had fur, he might have seen her blush. Instead, her head ducked and her ears laid low. “Sorry. I know you're trying to teach me.”
the staff team luvs u
— Hades is welcome in any thread Persephone is in, and, may powerplay her if the need is there
04-06-2021, 11:00 PM
^^Her question was one that had him a bit curious - if they didn't listen to her, then what? “I'd punish them.” Hades said it without real pause or any qualms. “For disrespecting your reputation.” He was adamant about that. No one would disrespect them that way. Hades licked his lips them - almost imagining the blood there he'd spill. Was that....bad? If he was so eager to take his pound of flesh on her behalf?

“It'll be natural after awhile I bet.” Hades felt confident in her. When she admitted it was all so unnatural Hades just offered her a gentle smile. “Don't apologize. You need time to get comfortable. That's what we'll give you. I promise, sweetness. I'll never rush you.” Again his snout came to brush against hers gently and Hades let out a soft sigh. “We're all learning - this, this isn't a form I ever remember before.” He missed his long fingers and his suits. “This doesn't happen overnight after all.” He assured her.^^
the staff team luvs u
04-07-2021, 02:50 AM
I'd punish them.

His answer was so quick -- so simple. Would he really do that just for her? The protectiveness in his voice made her believe that he would, and Persephone found herself internally preening at this fact. A warmth spread all the way down to her toes then, smiling faintly as she veered to bump her shoulder against his. This time was different, however; this time, she didn't move away, instead walking so that the line of her body melded with his.

More private satisfaction developed at the pet name he used for her, her tongue flashing out to sweep across his muzzle when it lingered close. “I don't want to let you down,” Persephone admitted softly, dropping her eyes to the hidden path beneath their feet. “I'm still not sure I'm cut out to be a Queen, Hades. I'm just a village girl, after all.” A lowly, easily missed village girl who couldn't even properly help her mother with one of their biggest tasks.
the staff team luvs u
04-07-2021, 04:39 AM
^^Rather than those brief touches they'd indulged in from time to time, this was full contact. Body to body, she wound into him, and he let out a soft sound of joy even in those little touches. He nuzzled against her, head resting over hers. The kiss, too, was brief but pleasurable and his tail brushed against hers a couple times playfully. “Disappoint me?” Hades asked and suddenly stopped to meet her eyes. “You could never let me down.” Hades was so fervent - he trusted it entirely. “You have never been just anything, and I know you aren't just anything.”

Hades studied her face for a moment, wondering how anyone had ever seen her and how the word 'just' could ever come up in connection to her. “Whoever let you feel that way - ever made you feel that way - they were wrong. There's nothing you can't do, Persephone.” Hades was certain of that.^^
the staff team luvs u
04-08-2021, 04:50 AM
The two practically wound themselves together until he stopped, until he put faith in her that she didn't deserve, until he stopped in his tracks -- their tracks -- and looked at her. Persephone avoided his gaze, purposefully turning her head to avoid that look. How could she tell him he was wrong about her? That she was just some girl who had lived in a village, who had had important things to do that she couldn't even do well. Goddess of Spring? She couldn't even grow anything.

Tears burned at her eyes, anger directed inward causing bile to rise and singe her throat. “That's not true,” She said softly, trying not to betray the pain she felt at those words. “There's a lot I can't do. I don't need someone to say it to know that I can't.” Mother had said it enough that she stopped needing to be told "You can't go out by yourself", "You can't live on your own", "You can't do this or that"... It went on and on until Persephone had just... stopped asking. Stopped wanting.

A huff left her then, turning away from him to say again, “You're right. I don't want to disappoint you. I really, really don't. I'm still scared. I don't know what I'm doing and you shouldn't have to clean up whatever mess I leave in my wake!” She couldn't look at him, couldn't see the confidence he had in her lingering in his eyes when she couldn't even be confident for herself.
the staff team luvs u
Formation
04-08-2021, 05:10 AM (This post was last modified: 04-21-2021, 09:49 PM by Aso. Edited 1 time in total.)
^^Hades didn't expect the tears that rose to her eyes or the quick flash of anger in her gaze. Hades, even if he hadn't already stopped, would have been frozen in his tracks. She was gorgeous even in her anger, but her concerns trumped his own thoughts. She was worried about what she couldn't do and in truth, so was Hades. He was stuck in this form, no matter how hard he tried he couldn't do anything divine. Everything was peculiar. “I can't either.” Hades admitted. “Nothing that I have always been able to do.” He could not summon his bident. He couldn't change his form. He couldn't use his powers. He couldn't manage to fly. “It's different here.” He wanted to comfort her but Persephone turned away from him and Hades longed to reach for her but gave her the space she clearly wanted.

“But isn't that the whole point - that it's not just either of us but both of us together?” Hades asked curiously. “We're partners in this. We work together. We'll keep them safe and we'll take care of the Forest and it'll take care of us.” Hades knew that the woman they couldn't find - Salene - that had promised Persephone that the Forest would take care of them. “Whatever fears you have, I'll help. I don't want anyone other than you to be Queen.” Hades said firmly. If she refused he wouldn't make her but there was no one else who would hold that title in Winterheart.^^

+1 Formation Points

the staff team luvs u
04-11-2021, 04:52 AM
She didn't mean the divine things — she meant the stupid, daily, menial things! The things anyone should have been able to do! Gardening, making friends, being able to have a normal life and not have to be locked away from the world like was deficient or inept.

Her anger built, consuming her like a wildfire consumed a drying forest.

And yet he managed to douse it, to quell the firestorm that sought to burn away everything delicate, even if just for a moment.

Persephone did not move from where she stood, though her tail dropped from its defensive position to something dejected and tired. Another movement; Her ears flickered backwards, an indication that she was listening to him, that she was open to hearing him as she had not been only mere moments prior.
the staff team luvs u
Formation
04-11-2021, 05:40 AM (This post was last modified: 04-21-2021, 09:49 PM by Aso. Edited 1 time in total.)
^^Hades watched her intently. He fell silent and for a moment he was just a fixture among the trees. There was nothing other than her and his desires to see her confident and to know how she felt was important to him. She heard him, at least, listening by the flick of her ears backwards towards him. “Persephone,” He began and took a few steps towards her. “You have been here with me from the first moments. You have comforted me. Supported me. What makes a leader good isn't their strength or their wrath.” He had been more vengeful - he wouldn't deny that. He wouldn't deny himself. “Being true to yourself and who you are and want to be is what will make Winterheart what we want it to be.” He said calmly. He hated to see her this way. It left him with questions but he didn't want to try and answer them. It wasn't necessary.^^

+1 Formation Points

the staff team luvs u
04-12-2021, 03:49 AM
She felt him near, felt him approach, as if there were any way should could miss the heat of his large form. His voice was warm, gentle, soothing in a way that she wanted to turn to him and hide in his fur. At the same time, she didn't want that; that was what her mother had taught her, ingrained in her, to hide behind her skirts while Demeter handled everything, to a point where Persephone wasn't sure how she felt about some things. She wasn't sure about pack life, wasn't sure about hunting, or motherhood, or ambition, or --

She turned to him finally, eyes glassy as she searched his. “What if I don't know who I am??” She asked him, frustrated with herself, that she was crying, that she was so unsure. He didn't deserve that. “How can I be anything if I never knew what I was in the first place?” Her tone was strained, voice cracking, splintering towards the end as her volume raised, a feeling building in her chest that she hated.
the staff team luvs u
04-14-2021, 07:30 AM
^^He longed to pull her close and assure her that he was confident and his confidence would be enough for both of them. Her concerns were valid and he could see the great issues she had and how they affected her. “If you don't know, this is your time to be who you want to be.” Hades offered quietly. Something in his gaze shifted seeing the rising emotion in hers and he brought his muzzle up to kiss gently at the top of her crown. He longed to hold her close and tangle his fingers in her hair and reassure her. “You are mine.” His voice came out in a low timbre, a soft sighed breathed out against her fur. “If that is all you can know right now, that is what we start with. You have the chance to find yourself.” Hades stepped back to see her properly, hoping that his possessiveness wouldn't scare her away.^^
the staff team luvs u
04-20-2021, 03:14 AM
His touch was welcomed, even if she didn't lean into it immediately. Only aa few moments passed before she did so, shifting her weight to press her muzzle into the plush of his fur, sniffling. It was true, that she was his, as he was hers; she had that, at the very least, and even Persephone could recognize that it was a starting point. Still, she did not speak, instead nodding against him, his fur tickling her nose before he moved back. At that, her ears drooped the slightest bit, remembering that they weren't necessarily defining what mine and yours meant to them. She wanted to ask, wanted to know, but Persephone spoke of other things instead.

“Have you heard from Zeus yet?” She asked, changing the subject so that she wouldn't ask for a clear-cut definition.
the staff team luvs u
Formation
04-20-2021, 05:27 AM (This post was last modified: 04-21-2021, 09:49 PM by Aso. Edited 1 time in total.)
^^She didn't push him away or pull back from him. That was reassuring at least. In a lot of ways when it came to those hard moments it was quick to drain you. When she met his eyes her ears still dropped but at least she didn't seem as upset as before. “Persephone,” Hades said it softly and leaned in, kissing her forehead. “This is ours and whatever we want it to be it will be.” He promised her. Her question made him shake his head. Even with so many of his friends and family near his youngest brother had not been located yet.

“I'm sure we'll find him soon. I spoke with Styx when she joined our claim - I think we should make some day trips to scout around the area. Styx is going to, as well."” It would be nice he thought to explore more and get to know the area. “And knowing my brothers, they'll find their own way soon enough. We've never lived under each other's rule really - other than Zeus.” He had to roll his eyes fondly then.^^

+1 Formation Points

the staff team luvs u
04-21-2021, 04:02 AM
The sound of her name from him was a boon to her, a now-familiar warmth encapsulating her all the way down to her toes. His vow was one she trusted him to make good on, for better or for worse. She probably would mess up; she knew that, but as long as he didn't lose his patience with her as she learned the ropes, maybe it would be alright. And Hades had been so patient with her already, Persephone simply couldn't imagine him up and deciding that enough was enough one day. At least, she hoped he wouldn't.

Her change in subject proved successful, before the little honey wolf could spiral into an extreme bout of doubt and anxiety. “I'd be okay with that. It would give us some time to explore together again too.” Not that they had finished exploring Winterheart, but it would be good to learn the lay of the lands around them too. “Why is he King of Kings?” She asked him, still standing relatively close to the man who had once again proved himself safe harbor from the storm that raged within.
the staff team luvs u
04-21-2021, 04:17 AM
^^Hades tail swayed behind him for a moment when she mentioned traveling together. It was an idea that was appealing to him too. Her question though, made him pause. His smile didn't fade but it was different. “It......it's not a pleasant story. Before our lives here, in our true forms....my father feared the prophecy of being overthrown by his son. It's how he took power over his father. So he was afraid of us. I was the oldest. Then Poseidon, then Zeus. And he did what he had to in order to stay powerful.” Hades didn't meet her eyes then, looking off into the distance and away from his Queen.

“It was Zeus that freed Poseidon and I.....and there was a war between us and the Titans. My father was left imprisoned, and because Zeus had formed a union with Hera - how powerful she is but...” Hades face had drawn into a frown, thinking about this long gone memories and the bitter struggles they'd all had. “He took the power of Metis to overthrow Kronos, and because he freed us Poseidon and I have never risen against Zeus.” Hades tried to just trim it up nicely. Just make it a neat little package. “We drew for our realms. I had the short stick so the Underworld is mine. It rivals theirs though, and always has. I think he's a bit bitter about it, truth be told. Zeus can't stand not having full adoration and respect of his followers.” Hades was proud of what he had done with his realm though. He always had been. If Zeus comes to Winterheart, no, I don't think he'd stand staying for long.”^^
the staff team luvs u
04-21-2021, 04:38 AM
The story he told her, the memories he relived, made Perse frown gently, sitting back on her haunches, tail curling around her feet as she listened without interrupting. Through out all of it, she wanted to go to him, comfort him as he had her, but she stayed where she was — if only because it felt important for him to properly finish instead of distracting him from it all. She had a lot of thoughts about what he told her, though nothing coherent enough to voice out loud.

Only when he finished did the young woman nod in agreement. “Perhaps that's for the best?” She said, standing to step closer and incline to head to nuzzle his cheek. “Not that I wouldn't want him here” She didn't “but because I wouldn't want any tension between you all.” Besides, Hades had talked about thee three of them ruling separately and, personally, Persephone was still just fine with that idea.
the staff team luvs u
Formation
04-21-2021, 04:52 AM (This post was last modified: 04-21-2021, 09:48 PM by Aso. Edited 1 time in total.)
^^Hades appreciated her support. He rarely talked about the War - and he wondered what others thought of it - but he couldn't care about that then. He leaned down for her, letting out a soft sigh as their cheeks touched and he drew comfort from her. He was such a big task for someone so small it felt. To comfort him and tend to him was no small feat for anyone. “It won't be bad.” Hades assured her. “We don't always get along but we're fine. And what I'l like? He paused for a moment. “The way we and our realms work together was harmonious. And I'd like that back. Three realms, three packs, all working together.” Hades nibbled delicately at the fur of her cheek, just wanting to keep contact with her. “Lets go rest, we can think about it more. Maybe bring it up later, once we see how well everyone gets established.”^^

+2 Formation Points

the staff team luvs u
04-21-2021, 04:56 AM
She nodded, making a soft sound in her throat as he teeth grazed through her fur, pleased with the contact. Still, she liked the prospect of resting; Her emotional whirlwind had left the girl drained. With little in the way of argument, Persephone fell into step with her larger companion, their chatter idle and easy as they made their way back.

Fade
the staff team luvs u
scroll to top