Welcome to Canis Major

a wolf and animal rpg (role-playing game)

Canis is a writing community for play-by-post (forum-based), freeform roleplay set in a fictional dream world in the intrusion fantasy genre. Most characters on Canis are wolves; many play elements are focused around wolves and canids, but the world makes room for a large variety of other animal characters such as dogs, horses, cats, bears, deer, and many, many more.

Our community is focused on flexibility, creativity, and collaboration. That boils down to a few important features:

• There is no set activity requirement to write
  • The setting and plot are member-created and staff-supported
  • The game is continuously improved to increase fun and decrease stress

Learn more in our Rulebook!

AW
criminal

Early Morning Drizzle/Rain
AW
Discovery
05-09-2023, 03:37 AM
Random Prompt: A large tree stands. It's dead and looked to be on fire on a previous day, but is damp from rain.

The early morning brought a soft drizzle to the island. Yet she had saw it as an opportunity to scout in relative peace. Most things might still be tucked away to sleep or to shelter from whatever storm this might turn into.

She, instead, cruised along the shoreline of the island as she found herself at its northernmost point. It seemed the same as the rest of the island so far. Although such could be said easily if she stayed upon the shores. Perhaps there was something hidden deeper in the tree line here.

Yet she halted sharply as she realized one tree in particular, large and tall, stood darker than the rest. Dead and charred. It vaguely reminded her of the trees left behind on Raven Rock. Only this one was truly burned. None other around it seemed to suffer such a fate, even if they all were damp from this morning's current rain.

It seemed even here was not immune from the oddities of this world.

the staff team luvs u
[Image: Nopeita-Wake.png]
Discovery
05-15-2023, 02:37 AM
How he ended up here was strange to him. Waking up to a light, morning drizzle was quite a shock, considering he swore it was the middle of a harsh winter. He hadn't remembered ever living on any kind of island either; but after walking in a straight line through a little bit of forest, he found himself once again on the shore, sand and water spreading out in front of him. Orange hues squinted slightly, the sun reflecting brightly against the sea. He thought he could see some more land not too far, but he did not feel like testing the waters yet.

Approaching paw steps from his left caught the male's attention, his head swinging in the direction of the noise. Another wolf had stopped and stared at a nearby tree, his gaze briefly glancing at the large husk. Charred as if it had been on fire, it now stood out among the rest of the living trees. He wondered if the rain on this island had stopped the fire from spreading, or if this was just something that happened to the trees in this land.

Returning his gaze to the female, he hesitated about approaching her. The grey monochrome wolf didn't appear to be anything but curious, but it was hard to say for sure. But there would be no way of knowing what had happened or where he was if he didn't try and ask. Clearing his throat slightly and taking a small breath, he steeled himself together before turning and heading toward her. His expression was rather blank, showing very little emotion across his features. But he made sure to make it clear he meant no harm, keeping his tail low and stopping a respectful distance away.

"Apologies if I am intruding at all," Deimos spoke cautiously, forcing his muscles to remain relaxed. "Silly it may seem, but I have no idea where I am." He hated admitting that fact, but perhaps his bit of honesty will earn him a more neutral start to his conversation with the stranger.

the staff team luvs u
"Be brave. Take risks."

Deimos is a 3-3-3 rated character.
Adventurer
05-15-2023, 02:58 AM
 It would have been easy to devour him whole like an angered leviathan. She imagined that @Esmerelda very well might have — or perhaps she might have poisoned him like a viper.

Yet she sized him warily, weighed his words in her mind. He was tall and well cut with muscles. Scarred upon his face. Had he earned them well or had they been sharply dished out?

She sneered softly, tail flicked as she leaned her weight some. Side to side. At least he had not waltzed in demanding answers, the bull headed ways of men often maddened her further. “You are intruding,” She drawled as her tongue slipped out to lick over teeth and lips. “But you're lucky too. As lucky as an intruder can be.” Her sneer morphed into something tricky and sharp. Was he lucky?

Perhaps if he continued to behave.

“Did you just...appear perhaps? Or maybe you've emerged from the sea? It's a trend.”

the staff team luvs u
05-16-2023, 11:31 PM
A small sneer seemed to follow his words. Nothing like he was expecting out of her, but his expression remained placid. There was no use in causing any issues. Especially when he hadn't a clue where he was.

"You are intruding."

Part of him wondered how much of that was even true; though he had only just woken up, it didn't seem like the area held the scent of many wolves. He knew how overpowering the scent of a pack could be; he had plenty of experience in that regard. Still, he would keep his opinions to himself for now.

"But you're lucky too. As lucky as an intruder could be."

Deimos raised a singular brow. He was lucky now? Perhaps insinuating that he was lucky she had found him, and not another. A quiet, "I see," was his only response.

“Did you just...appear perhaps? Or maybe you've emerged from the sea? It's a trend.”

Even if the words weren't presented as very kind, it did comfort him a little that his situation wasn't a strange one. He gave a small nod, keeping his gaze on her. Somehow he didn't quite trust to break eye contact just yet. "I fell asleep in a harsh winter and somehow woke up here," he started, his vocals calm as he decided it was best to just tell the truth. "I certainly don't remember any islands like this where I was before." Small droplets of water clung to the edges of his darkened fur, almost tickling the inside of his ear. He couldn't help but give his head a soft shake before lowering his haunches to the ground. Not quite comfortable in case the other became more hostile, but still relaxing enough to show he meant no ill will to her.

the staff team luvs u
"Be brave. Take risks."

Adventurer
05-19-2023, 06:01 AM
sorry for the delay! got sick :(

A harsh winter, bled into an island life.

Wake had known fire before and then plunged into the watery depths. The world seemed to enjoy mismatching things for those who awoke. Was their a God above who laughed in great grandness when She created such chaos?

It apparently mattered not to the man who seemed content to make himself comfortable.

“We all get something new when we arrive.” Her voice was gruff, tired, blunt. “It's better to plunge into the new world than try and live in the old.” Yet she only fixed him with a hard long look now. He did not seem like some young buck, which only softened her in the very slightest bit. It meant perhaps he knew better than to try and posture among the local women.

But what would he take of her advice? Would he laugh in her face and make grand declarations? Or would he keep himself subdued still and accept this new fate? She only hoped he did not throw a tantrum, for his sake.

the staff team luvs u
05-20-2023, 01:08 AM
No worries! I totally understand ^^

It was difficult for the male to fully understand what was going through the other female's head. He had to give her props for that; he didn't know many females who weren't a bit more boisterous. Perhaps someone more level-headed is the change that he didn't know he needed. She spoke once again, a bit gruff and tired. Straight to the point, no beating around the bush. Maybe under all that harshness, he could find someone more likeminded to himself.

"We all get something new when we arrive."

Deimos wondered what was new for her in this world compared to her last. Not that he would pry, of course.

"It's better to plunge into the new world than try and live in the old."

The male nodded slightly. He didn't really think of it as a new start to be something else, but it might be a change he should welcome more. Not that he could completely subdue the inner fighter, but he can choose who he follows much more carefully. Actually decide something for himself for once, instead of mindlessly following orders. "I suppose you have a point there," he mused. "No use fretting on the past with a brighter future ahead." He would've spoken more, asked more questions. But he wasn't quite sure how she would take them. But how would he know anything if he didn't try?

"So, you said I was intruding," he continued, speaking slowly and carefully so as not to irritate the lady; though part of him wondered if he would anyway. "Is this land that you have claimed? Forgive me, but you're the only wolf I've seen in the short walk. And it doesn't seem as though any kind of large group resides here, unless I truly lost all senses coming into this world." Not the best way to even offer his service if such were the case, but nobody said he was perfect.

the staff team luvs u
"Be brave. Take risks."

Adventurer
Formation
05-26-2023, 05:01 PM (This post was last modified: 05-29-2023, 02:19 AM by Wake. Edited 1 time in total.)
How could he intrude if the land was not claimed?

Yet if he had truly, genuinely, just came ashore here then he could have seen no others. There was a sudden, upheaval in her chest as he asked after others. The word mate or wife had never crossed the lips of her and the lover she took, but they were woven together as one.

And she be damned if a man thought he might whisk away her pretty woman. Did he? Perhaps she was only letting that spiky judgement flare her into such protective ways.

“It is me and my lover,” There was one more, one a bit harder to explain though. “A fox too. She's like...a pet.” Something between a smile and a grimace crossed her face. A sharp shrug of her shoulders, let the man make of it what he would.

“Big or not, it is ours.” Undertones of pride sprinkled through her otherwise monotone voice.

She did not hide how she eyed him again. As if she soaked in finer details now and looked for things that might be a warning sign — or a boon, if used for her own gain. The gain of her and her lover.

“Does the sea call to you?”

the staff team luvs u
05-29-2023, 02:18 AM
"It is me and my lover."

Ah, another wolf lived on this island with her. One that he certainly wouldn't try and mess with, considering the personality of the female in front of her. Not that he was ever one to court others, but he would make a note not to act too much like he was trying to do that either.

"A fox too. She's like... a pet."

A... fox? That was certainly something different. He wasn't used to wolves interacting much with other species. Especially foxes. The surprise was enough to get the placid male to raise an eyebrow, the most his expression had changed since starting the conversation. But he couldn't be one to judge very much, considering how new he was to everything. "Interesting," he spoke softly, forcing his expression to return to its normal state. "I can't say I've ever conversed with a fox before." But he wouldn't press as to why the creature would remain here under the protection of her and her lover.

"Big or not, it is ours."

The pride was obvious in her tone, despite how small they were. It was admirable, the strength the female had within her. It was something he wouldn't mind following, but he wasn't sure she would allow him to do such. Though if they were small enough, perhaps an extra body wouldn't be so bad to have around, especially one with the experience he had. "Small but mighty it seems," he replied, a small nod of his head as he did. The best praise he could give, as he wasn't quite sure what else he could say. She did little to hide her eyeing him once again, perhaps debating if he could be an asset or not. Something he wouldn't mind proving if it came to that.

"Does the sea call to you?"

The male looked to the side, gazing out at the water as the waves gently washes ashore. He had never given it much thought before, but that wasn't to say he disliked it. And the more he watched the water ever moving, never resting. He supposed there was a certain charm to it, something that he didn't notice before. To be called to it might be a stretch, but perhaps he could still worm his way into the idea. "The sea..." He looked back over to the female, gaze steady as he continued. "I've never attempted to listen to it before. But I'd be lying if I said I wasn't drawn to it now. The strength that it holds, the attention it demands. Certainly, something to listen to when it calls."

the staff team luvs u
"Be brave. Take risks."

Formation
05-29-2023, 02:29 AM
shall i rank him for you? <3

She knew it was odd, but no judgement could penetrate through her armor. Wake collected things for survival first above all, shiny treasures followed next. Sometimes the two mingles. Sometimes the shiny treasures were people.

Life worked in odd ways.

The compliment (for she took it as such) was a kind cherry on top of it. Perhaps it only softened her and the offense she could still find in him. At least he had not thought to challenge her claim or take potshots at what little was here to guard the claim. For he was right about what he said. Mighty were the sapphic lovers that claimed the seaside.

Yet mightier they'd be with bodies on their shores too.

“You can stay and listen to her if you want,” She drawled as her postured slackened slightly. As if a hand may have found her hip in another form. Perhaps it was not the warmest, heartiest welcome to give, but it was an honest one. Wake prided herself upon her direct punches to others.

“Besides, island plenty big for four of us, hm?”

Her head turned slightly to peer around at the wild expanse all around them.

the staff team luvs u
05-29-2023, 03:42 AM
I would love that! Just let me know which rank he would hold so I can add to his bio when I make it ^^ also tysm for the stardust, it means a lot to me <3

It seemed that his words seemed to have worked on the lady before him. She had settled down, at least enough, to welcome him to the island. He hadn't ever thought to challenge her. He had assumed his fighting days were over. But perhaps for a special few he could dig deep into his ways and protect something he could call his. A new home. A fresh start.

"You can stay and listen to her if you want."

The smallest hint of a smile tugged at the corner of his lips. A small acceptance into the small group. He could call this place home. A reason to continue his life in this new world. "I would be most grateful," he spoke, dipping his head in respect to his new leader.

“Besides, island plenty big for four of us, hm?”

A half-chuckle rumbled from within the male's chest. "Indeed it is. I'll be sure to put my skills to good use to protect it, no matter the size of us or the island." He allowed his gaze to trail away to watch the sea once more. It was then that he realized they never exchanged names; something he should remedy if he was truly to be a part of this little group. "Deimos, if it please you." A half-heart introduction, for she should know the name of the newest member as well.

the staff team luvs u
"Be brave. Take risks."

Formation
05-29-2023, 04:04 AM
does gunner work for you sense he seems protection focused? :)

Grateful.

Well. It seemed things were settled among them then. She'd have to inform @Esmerelda of the man who joined their little band now, lest her lover accidentally turn teeth upon his flesh. Thinking of one another as intruders would do neither any good now, would it?

All the uses of a tall, well-built man were not lost upon Wake.

Deimos, the man called himself now. If it pleased. Which she snorted softly at with a momentary grin. What did it matter if it pleased her? It had been a mother who had smacked the name on the child, certainly. Wake was not here to change it.

“Wake, whether it pleases you or not.” Yet despite the rough cut of her voice she meant no true harm. “Why don't you go find somewhere to get comfortable then? Eat, piss around, do all that good shit.”

the staff team luvs u
06-05-2023, 12:18 AM
That works great! Tysm ^^ I'll probably have this be his exit as well

"Wake, whether it pleases you or not."

Fair enough. It's not like he could say much anyway, considering he was under her rule now.

“Why don't you go find somewhere to get comfortable then? Eat, piss around, do all that good shit.”

He wasn't sure how formal he should be with his exit, but considering the 'gracefulness' of her words, he assumed it wouldn't have to be much. "I'll make sure to acquaint myself with the others as well," he replied, finally rising to his paws. He shook his body slightly, riding it of the bits of sand and debris that would cling to his body. With a small nod of his head, he turned away from the lady and began heading inwards, ready to explore the land he would now call home.

the staff team luvs u
"Be brave. Take risks."

scroll to top