Welcome to Canis Major

a wolf and animal rpg (role-playing game)

Canis is a writing community for play-by-post (forum-based), freeform roleplay set in a fictional dream world in the intrusion fantasy genre. Most characters on Canis are wolves; many play elements are focused around wolves and canids, but the world makes room for a large variety of other animal characters such as dogs, horses, cats, bears, deer, and many, many more.

Our community is focused on flexibility, creativity, and collaboration. That boils down to a few important features:

• There is no set activity requirement to write
  • The setting and plot are member-created and staff-supported
  • The game is continuously improved to increase fun and decrease stress

Learn more in our Rulebook!

P
Digging a Little Deeper

Sunset Sunny/Clear
P
Adventurer
04-30-2023, 02:48 PM

The world shifted around them and Rosencrantz found himself once again alone. Blackfoot was nowhere to be found since he had woken up from what felt like a too long, too deep of a sleep and there was no sign at all of the woman. Either she had left him to rot in his self-hatred hellhole, or she was whisked away by these strange lands as others had prior to this.

Already he had done the rounds around this place, the glowing beaches growing brighter with the setting sun as he closed in on the location of which he had woken up just this morning. He recognized the surrounding trees and strangely shaped rocks. His scent was still strong on the wet sand with the imprint he left in being washed away already by the wakes that licked the grounds.

It seemed he was stuck on this island as there was no easy way off of it from his initial scouting. Maybe if this place couldn't sustain its new arrival he could swim out to the nearest shore and hopefully find the mainland again but for now... the silence was nice. Suiting for a monster who may as well be locked away, stranded on some island with stars in the sand.

the staff team luvs u
[Image: photo-1477468572316-36979010099d_1.png]
04-30-2023, 11:12 PM
There was something strange afoot. Of that much, the little spring wolf was certain. She stood there, upon the glowing sands and waters, a frown pulling the shape of her mouth as she stared out upon the ocean. She remembered being here before, remembered looking out at the waters like this but... it was all different, too. There had not been this glow, nor the dead lands that she stared across at now.

Persephone stood there, long tail limp behind her, wondering where her mother was, where her friends were, and why she felt there were holes in her memory. Her ears low, the honey coated girl turned from the ocean and its vast emptiness to walk along its shores, stars blossoming around her paws as she went.

the staff team luvs u
Adventurer
04-30-2023, 11:19 PM
Beleiving he was alone, he wandered the blue-speckled beach. A place far too beautiful for him to tread upon but where the hell else was he going to go? The glowing specks stuck to his pale coat as he wandered the white sand beach, heavy paws sinking into the moist sand with every step as he mindlessly wandered. Feeling stuck. Abandoned by fate once more. Had he really been so cruel that anyone he would ever get close to would vanish like smoke from a dying fire?

So forgive him when he wasn't sugary sweet when the golden girl came into his one-eyed sight. Just another female, pretty and small who would have nothing to do with him and so, he wouldn't try. “You, girl -” That rough voice echoed on the empty beach for two. “How did you get here?” And how the hell can I find this magical bridge to get the hell off this twinkling island.

the staff team luvs u
04-30-2023, 11:53 PM
You, girl -

She stopped, her head swinging around to look back at the one that had called out to her. Eyes wide and perhaps slightly bewildered, Persephone looked upon the man, half his face cast in darkness while the sun set to what she presumed was their West. He was huge; the only reason that she did not need to crane her head back to look at him was the distance between him but even from here, she could see that he was impossibly tall and imposing.

How had she gotten here. That pretty little frown deepened. “I...” Her brow furrowed, gaze casting out to the sea and then to the land again before it came back to the man once more.

“I'm not sure...” Her voice was soft, sweet, and sincere, if a touch confused and unsure. “I think I woke up here...”

the staff team luvs u
Adventurer
05-01-2023, 11:00 AM
Good. He could see it in her eyes, she was afraid. Whether it was his face or his stature that towered over her, growing increasingly evident with every step he took toward the golden girl - maybe even both, it was for the best.

His pace didn't slow from its already casual stride, sluggish despite the long strides on sinking sand. Only the half ear cocked forward catching her words while the other trained on the forest to their wayside listening for anyone else that might be stranded here approaching from the distance. Nothing but spring birds in the trees.

Her answer wasn't something he had wanted to hear. Another one who just woke up in this place. A low hum caught in his throat cut short as he pondered what to do. Passing her by with enough space between them to continue wandering the shores of this island and hope to find an easy path off before taking the plunge.

the staff team luvs u
05-01-2023, 02:46 PM
The little honey wolf watched as the man strode near, never moving, never skittering away to give him a wider berth. Instead, she stood rooted to the spot, wondering if he had some sort of response or explanation. Something here was amiss, and it didn't strike her to be him. No, it seemed -- felt, even -- to be deeper than that. 

It was not until that the towering mountain of a man passed her by that Persephone felt able to move her limbs again, turning to lope after him, her steps tiny in comparison to his that ate so much ground with such little effort. Walking beside him took effort, having to speed up every few steps she took before slowing down again.

“What about you?” She asked him, saccharine eyes bright in darkening evening.

the staff team luvs u
Adventurer
05-01-2023, 03:07 PM
Expecting her to stand there and let him roam the beaches one more go around - when he heard her little feet pitter after him, he near groaned in response. What could she possibly want with him? Figuring she thought he had answers, he simply called from his position facing forward. “I don't know anything either.” Assuming that that would have the little woman stop and leave him be. There was no way he struck her as some big friendly giant with half of his face missing.

“I woke up here too. Twice.” Once in the misty woods with Guildenstern and now this new beach of stars. Was this a regular occurrence? Were they even in the same world as before or was he catapulted somewhere completely new once more? “This beach, and elsewhere before here.”

the staff team luvs u
05-01-2023, 10:30 PM
“Okay,” She chirped at his admission of not knowing, something she took no issue with. They could not know together, for now at least. Persephone was no solitary creature, especially not in some unknown place like this, where she recognized nothing and no one. Even the company of such a brusque and brash giant was better than being by herself right now.

“I think I have as well… or maybe three times…” It all blurred together in a way that made the small girl unable to make sense of any of it. She remembered someone else imposing, and a tendril of fear curled through her at the thought. Another small, pretty frown. “It’s odd… I feel like I’ve done this all before, but… I think I forgot?” Perse fell quiet then, thinking hard, trying to grasp all that which was just out of reach.

And then she shook her head, freeing herself of all of it for the moment. “I’m Persephone,” The honey wolf introduced herself, offering the large male a small smile.

the staff team luvs u
Adventurer
05-03-2023, 12:37 PM
That was it. That was all he knew, as little and as much as the girl and yet instead of staying put and leaving him brood on his own - she kept following after him. At first, he kept ignoring her. Only listening enough to garner any kind of more information that she might know from her random event that might differ from his - nothing other than she had done this a few times while he had twice. Rosencrantz would prefer it didn't happen more than that. It was so disorientating.

Her chipper attitude fell for a moment, almost as though she was breaking character and was there a mask she was wearing to try and break down his walls as many had tried, successfully to do so only to prove him wrong to allow such a thing to occur. He wouldn't again. Or did she flutter away from that sunshine out of grief?

Out of annoyance, he turned to face the girl who was trotting after him. Exasperated and annoyed he looked down upon her with that single hardened eye and signed. “Persephony -” He breathed, her name sounding heavy on his tongue. “What do you want?” Why do you keep following? How can I get rid of you faster? The glow of the sand reflected off of their chins. Her golden hues lit in shades of blue while his pale coat nearly took on the shade completely.

the staff team luvs u
05-03-2023, 05:41 PM
It was only when the man turned on her and glowered down at her that Persephone truly let that mask slip; her ears fell back and her frame shrank down and away from him, tail falling from its rather neutral position to lay against her hocks a fine, almost unnoticeable tremor gripping her body. “I—” Pink eyes lowered, not looking at him, not looking at the disdain he held for her. She had seen that before, felt the shame and sadness that came with it.

Heat prickled at her eyes and Persephone mumbled a tiny, simple apology to him:

sorry

Before she turned and left him, slinking back the way she came. The little honey wolf couldn't bear to be around someone that looked at her that way.

the staff team luvs u
06-09-2023, 06:59 PM
In all honesty he simply didn't know what to do with someone like her. After all, they were always the same. They wanted something from him and would give little to nothing in return. They would all run off eventually, leaving him to wander on his lonesome once more - and most likely even more jaded than before.

He could feel the ugliness within him begin to match his outer appearances. The monster he appeared to be coming through from the inside out like a poison leeching through paper thin fabric.

There was still a part of him that waited and watched as she slunk away. Picking apart her non-verbal communication and though he sneered, there was still a small ache that drummed in his chest at the sight. That wonder that perhaps she wasn't like the others... and many other before the last.

Still, he didn't know what to do about it. Shirking that feeling, he wandered to his own corner of the island, keeping tabs on the honey coated wolf in the wind that blew through the trees.

the staff team luvs u
06-10-2023, 12:16 AM
She left him alone. She'd figure things out on her own, in spite of everyone. In spite of her mother. In spite of that scary wolf in her memories. In spite of the man she'd just met. She'd figure it out...

Somehow...

Thread end!

the staff team luvs u
scroll to top