Welcome to Canis Major

a wolf and animal rpg (role-playing game)

Canis is a writing community for play-by-post (forum-based), freeform roleplay set in a fictional dream world in the intrusion fantasy genre. Most characters on Canis are wolves; many play elements are focused around wolves and canids, but the world makes room for a large variety of other animal characters such as dogs, horses, cats, bears, deer, and many, many more.

Our community is focused on flexibility, creativity, and collaboration. That boils down to a few important features:

• There is no set activity requirement to write
  • The setting and plot are member-created and staff-supported
  • The game is continuously improved to increase fun and decrease stress

Learn more in our Rulebook!

pour a little salt, we were never here

Early Morning Rain
Formation
Nightwalkers
03-31-2021, 04:52 PM
In this confined space, the smell of infection is hard to miss. The bite wound delivered from Eldra throbs steadily, but she can not bring herself to care enough to look at it. She's not slept easily since she'd somehow arrived in this life, and the events of a few days ago had made any kind of attempt at restful sleep impossible. The death of the nameless man plays against the backs of her closed eyelids, and when she manages to keep them open long enough, in the shadows that stretch into the den. @Vengeance keeps her fed, and at his command she chokes down whatever meager amount she can bear to stomach. 

The days bleed together, and she wonders at the cruelty of fate, or circumstance, or random chance that would have her live again, only for this to be her life. The constant terror is exhausting to keep up, and she finds herself afloat in a dull apathy as she noses over the herbs Vengeance had brought some days ago. The few that remain are wilted, save the castor beans - their spiky casings remain an almost cheery red shade.

the staff team luvs u
Formation
Nightwalkers
03-31-2021, 06:11 PM
^^
Every day he would come to check on their wounded healer - and every day her wounds just didn't seem to be healing properly. The smell of infection lingered on her, even he could tell what that stench was. Earlier he went on another search for the similar plants he found for her previously, hoping more fresh ones would aid in her healing.

Upon his arrival, the stench did not change. The warm smell of infection mingled with the wetness in the air and light rain that fell all around, the stench still lingering in the air the closer he got the small girl. After placing the new bundle of flowers, leaves, and herbs down on the ground, a hard stare was given to her. “Why are your wounds not healing?”
^^
the staff team luvs u
Vengeance is a disgusting, terrible character. I do not condone anything he does or thinks of IC, and though I enjoy writing him, he also disgusts me often. He is a villain and nothing more.
Formation
Nightwalkers
03-31-2021, 07:44 PM (This post was last modified: 03-31-2021, 08:05 PM by Keoni. Edited 1 time in total.)
She'd always loved the scent of rain, but it is of no comfort now as she draws in the scent of it. When next she flares her nostrils, there comes too the unmistakable scent of Vengeance, and dread settles like a stone to the pit of her stomach. When he eclipses the den's entrance, new herbs dangling from his maw, she can't find it in her to feel a fresh rush of terror yet again; she's far too tired. His disapproval is evident, and her gaze turns to the damp eath, tail curling close. 

"I'm sorry," comes her murmured apology, "It's deeper than I thought." Her gaze remains on the ground, not moving to accept the new plants yet, but fixing her gaze a moment on the soft red of the castor. "I need help."

the staff team luvs u
Nightwalkers
04-04-2021, 06:45 PM
^^
He frowns. Deeper than she thought, he had already punished Eldra for her sins, and at least, should Bramble perish for this the woman would understand the weight of her deeds. Still... He wasn't sure if that would save her from a new round with the angered Warlord, only time would tell.

“Tell me.” He sat, offering his services to aid the young woman in doing what was necessary to save her own life. He knew very little of medicine, only enough to stave off his own injuries long enough until someone more knowledgeable came along, but he could at least lend a helping paw
^^
the staff team luvs u
Vengeance is a disgusting, terrible character. I do not condone anything he does or thinks of IC, and though I enjoy writing him, he also disgusts me often. He is a villain and nothing more.
04-05-2021, 09:30 PM (This post was last modified: 04-05-2021, 09:53 PM by Keoni. Edited 1 time in total.)
It is utter exhaustion that has this task become possible; the cold cut of terror is something she knows intimately well, now, and she is not swayed from her sudden decision by it. She pulls the castor close, freeing the beans from their red husks with careful workings of her fangs, and depositing them at her paws. Bramble adds to the three beans a few sprigs of fresh marigold, gaze roving to the man's chest as she pushes the bundle in his direction. 

"You — you need to chew it, into a paste. Then put it on the wound." She withdraws slightly, still unable to meet his gaze. She does not remember when last she had; it is the lantern-lit one of a monster, a murderer. She does not know if the castor would even affect him, large and otherworldly as he was. If it didn't — she supposed she would die at his jaws at some point. The castor had been her downfall and now her hope; all Bramble can do is wait, and ignore the curious prickling of her gums where it'd touched the plant. The castor had killed her once, and now, perhaps, it would save her.

the staff team luvs u
04-06-2021, 10:32 PM
^^
The way the girl was reacting didn't send off any bells to alarm the newly recrowned Warlord of what she may be planning. He was here to help her recover and so, poisoning the only friendly hand who was trying to assist her getting better was unwisely shuffled out of his thoughts. The lack of eye contact wasn't abnormal too, he knew she feared him, feared what he did to her and to the now long deceased man that Eldra had brought to him as a 'gift'. So the way she moved and avoided his gaze was not a blatant signal to him for the danger to come, but more so at her terror of the situation.

And so, when she offered the beans and plants he had previously brought to her already with his mouth - and so, he took it as instructed and began to chew. Careful not to swallow much of it at all since he assumed the oils produced were meant for her... but something felt strange.

As he chewed the poultice to get ready for her wounds, his mouth stung. Saliva oozed abnormally so from his maw, bubbling more with each passing second. Something was off. No medicine would make someone feel this way, not while preparing. If it felt this way in his mouth, how would it be on her wounds? Quickly he spat it out onto the earth, letting drool dribble in thick globs, wide enraged eyes flickering from the ground, back up to her as he focused on the wench.

“You bitch-” The words were flung carelessly as slobber kept oozing from his stinging maw, stomach beginning to churn all the while indicating she was indeed planning something nefarious. Enranged, there was no second thought as he lunged into the little cove that he stored her in these past weeks, teeth and claws animalistically hungry to tear into her tender flesh.
^^
the staff team luvs u
04-07-2021, 07:57 AM (This post was last modified: 04-07-2021, 07:57 AM by Keoni.)
For the first time, her gaze traces warily upward, to rest on his muzzle as he draws the herbs toward himself, and begins to chew. A new kind of fear stabs into her gut; she didn't really believe she'd manage this at all, and now that his mouth began to foam, her mind went blank. She'd no real plan besides this, save —

The lump of plant matter splats to the ground, the roar of an accusation following a moment later. She lurches unto her spindly limbs, huddled low atop all 2 and 3/4ths of her legs, as he barrels into the burrow with all the single-minded force of a train. A scream tears from her maw as fangs collide with the side of her ribs; she scrambles forward and sideways, yellowed teeth tearing down her side as she does. A desperate, scrabbling bid to exit the hollow follows, sides heaving as she manages to slip just beyond the burrow's exit, her one trace advantage of being small. Lunging messily forward, there is no hope or elation at this short-lived escape; she can only remember her last attempt, and that of Sam, which she seems to be replicating perfectly. Still, there is no option but to enact part two of what has to be her worst-construed plan ever: run.

@Grayday :))

the staff team luvs u
04-07-2021, 10:27 PM
^^
Fangs slide across her tender skin and find the solid earthy taste of dirt as fangs and claws dig into the roots and mud full of the makeshift den she had been harbouring in for the past few weeks. Echoing in the now medic-less den was a vicious snarl, growls rumbling like thunder as if a storm held right overhead.

Taking with him a mouthful of dirt as he tore away from the den, pushing off its furthest wall in order to pursue the now escaping woman. Dirt and bits of root falling from between gritted fangs until his mandible falls slightly ajar with him lunging into the chase. The movement making him dizzy from the poison in his veins drool still seeping from his lips now mixed with mud as the oozing substance flung with every step he managed to hastily take.

She was all he saw.

Every now and then as his stride worked in keeping up with her limping pace, his vision would blur and legs grew heavier than usual. But still, that rage fueled him to move. To snap in her direction with the hope of grabbing whichever of the multiple visions of her he saw running away from him.

In this moment, he truly was just a mindless, diabolical beast of the mist. Clawing at the earth and wanting nothing but to crush the woman who dared to poison him.
^^
the staff team luvs u
04-09-2021, 08:18 PM
The road was lonely, long and bleak. Grayday found it harder and harder to find joy or wonder in this waking dream. He missed his family, his wife. He wanted to go home, to wake up.

But whatever strange place this was that sleep had taken him to, it was holding fast. He could not rouse himself, nor could he make the world bend to the powers of his mind, in the way dreams were sometimes malleable in the moments before waking. He was beginning to think that this wasn't a dream at all, but the alternatives were so strange and so terrible that he dared not entertain them. That is, until he came across a familiar scent while walking through the woods.

“Cutie?” he whispered when he found her scent among blood and fear and — yes, there it was — death.

The male broke into a run, flinging himself blindly through the trees and undergrowth, in the direction his niece had retreated some unknown time before. The scents grew and festered in his nares; this wasn't a dream at all — it was a nightmare.

(At the back of his mind he remembered, she is dead, she is dead, she has been dead for months, and when he thought back to his last waking moments, all he knew was fire.)

And then, at last, he saw movement: the young woman that had become of the girl, and a dark figure snapping at her heels.

“Run, Keeney! Run!” he barked, aiming to barrel straight into her pursuer.

the staff team luvs u
04-10-2021, 09:22 AM
She is aware of the beast snapping at the air just to the left of her hind limb, and she lunges painfully forward, whites of her eyes glinting. It's suddenly impossible to draw air into her lungs, and then she is in the snow, breath impossible, and barely has she pulled away from the dead and swollen thing that had once been her body when something is tearing into it, into her —

Another erupts toward the scene, barking out a command as he crashes not into her, but veers behind her and toward the beast. It takes a moment, but she registers first the words and then the voice. Jolted, yet with no time to absorb the sudden flicker of memory that plays in the back of her mind, she crashes onward, slowed by her injuries but all too eager to obey as she makes for the edge of the wood, hoping desperately that her path would not intersect with any of those who too wandered this wood.

the staff team luvs u
04-11-2021, 08:56 PM
^^
His steps were haggard. Not holding the same powerful grace of the wolf he was, but of an enrage sickly man, poisoned by the one he wanted to take as their healer and ultimately betrayed for his rare act of kindness in helping heal her infected wound.

In his state, the figure of the girl was all he saw even as the feeling of something pushing against him stopped the monstrous man in his tracks. For a moment he attempted to climb over whatever this was, whatever force was stopping his pursuit, clawing, and biting at the air just past Grayday's shoulder as if he were able to stretch his neck he should be able to grab hold of the gray girl until she was finally out of sight.

Once the still nameless girl was out of his distorted sight, only then did his attention turn on the figure that stopped his pursuit to begin with. Witch a sickened, bile-covered fangs, he turned his furious flurry of attacks on the new piece of grey meat in front of him. There was no telling how long the adrenaline fueled by rage would keep the Warlord on his feet, but until he could not stand anymore, the man was a danger to himself and anyone caught in his crosshairs.
^^
the staff team luvs u
04-12-2021, 01:54 PM
It had been some time since Grayday had been in a fight. The lynx, he thought, when he'd lost one of his eyes. But that seemed a lifetime away, foggy and uncertain. He had been fighting for his children, he remembered, and now he was fighting for her.

The dark beast was foul-smelling, and even fouler to taste. Grayday marked this only at the back of his mind, and was otherwise consumed with the urge to stop this towering adversary. To stop him, and to keep himself out of harm's way in the mean time. So he was savage in his blows, teeth seeking to rend, and then light on his paws when he tried to dance out of the way. Not all of his parries and thrusts panned out as he'd hoped, but his main goal was achieved:

She was getting away.

When Grayday got the chance, he chose a path and ran, perpendicular to the ghost from his past, hoping to draw the stranger off her trail. He would double back as needed to harangue the other male, if he tried to go after the girl instead.
Let me know if I should roll back or change anything!

the staff team luvs u
Content Warning
04-13-2021, 12:15 AM
Content Warning
This post contains content that may be unsettling to some readers, including:
  • he pukes
^^
As the two males fought tooth and claw, one more viciously and less calculated than the other as Vengeance's thoughts and actions were poisoned by the toxins now coursing through him leaving nothing but an instinctual husk to move according to pure, animalistic desires. Any wounds inflicted on him were easily ignored as he felt numb from head to toe, only desiring to tear into whoever this new figure was for letting the little one escape.

Once the opposing force was no longer against him, taking their own chance to escape - here is where his intestines voided themselves onto the ground in a steaming heap of gore of previously eaten meals not long before the new ordeal. Bile frothed from his acidic-tasting tongue, foaming from the depths of his throat as his tongue lolled out from its cavernous sheath as it too felt numb with muscles fully relaxed from the toxins.

Taking a step in the direction of where the man had ran off into, Vengeance vomited once more. Bile and little bits of food that had managed to cling to his gut dribbled down from his chest, oozing to the ground in an abnormally thick strand of saliva and substance as he continued to press forward. However, there wasn't much else he could do than wander aimlessly trying to follow the figure as it disappeared into the mist. Unbeknownst to him, the act of vomiting had saved his life despite the momentary hindrance it brought.

Until sleep would take hold of him to rest and drink water to refuel his internal wounds, the man would simply wander with a vacant, glassy-eyed stare with nothing but adrenaline fueling his body to remain standing even a little longer.
^^
last from me!!

the staff team luvs u
04-16-2021, 03:30 PM
Thank you! <3

When enough of the fight had gone out of the other male, Grayday was quick to make his escape, swinging wide around the territory to try and pick up Keoni's scent. It was not long before he found it, but it felt light eons when his wounds sapped his energy so rapidly.

Limping, bleeding, and still gasping for breath, Grayday set out after his old friend's daughter, determined to catch up and lend whatever help and strength he could. But, underneath this benign desire, Grayday wanted answers — what was happening here? Where were they?

What were they, if the last thing Grayday had known of her was that she was dead?

the staff team luvs u
scroll to top