Welcome to Canis Major

a wolf and animal rpg (role-playing game)

Canis is a writing community for play-by-post (forum-based), freeform roleplay set in a fictional dream world in the intrusion fantasy genre. Most characters on Canis are wolves; many play elements are focused around wolves and canids, but the world makes room for a large variety of other animal characters such as dogs, horses, cats, bears, deer, and many, many more.

Our community is focused on flexibility, creativity, and collaboration. That boils down to a few important features:

• There is no set activity requirement to write
  • The setting and plot are member-created and staff-supported
  • The game is continuously improved to increase fun and decrease stress

Learn more in our Rulebook!

P
we all need something to live for

Afternoon Partly Cloudy
P
Formation
Ecologist
01-06-2023, 02:23 AM
@Gala, loosely marking borders for pack/formal recruitment - note to self

He had not seen the golden woman in some time, so when he happened across her scent he picked up his leisurely pace. With others forming around him, the pack's concept seemed almost real now. It was somewhat mind-boggling to him still that others wished to follow him. The Glade had been a kind host for the idea, and he took to prematurely marking some loose "borders". Just for the sake of showing the others where they stopped their claim.

He did not wish anyone to get into a tussle over a border, and so made the claim ideally neutral and not threatening. But first. "Galatea?" He remarked, the woman in his sight now. She appeared to be checking things out so he chuffed to her a bit louder than her spoken name. Baelfire walked closer. "How have you been?" He recalled her lack of direction, finding it the same as his own. At least now he had a direction, even if it was a slow one. The pack would come in time.

No need to rush.

the staff team luvs u
[Image: 59631057_gcZT0fbEQJ1yZ2Q.png]
IF YOU CAN'T FIX WHAT'S BROKEN
WHAT ARE YOU THEN?
Adventurer
01-06-2023, 02:47 AM
Gala was beginning to venture farther through the plains, hoping to memorize the area. After all, it could be beneficial to have knowledge of the terrain and any significant landmarks. She eventually wound up in a patch of land with various trees and shrubs scattering the place, bringing shade to the otherwise open grasslands.

She caught wind of a scent that made her perk up. It was similar to the scent markers near the borders of pack-claimed lands, but a bit more subtle. 

That was when she heard a voice call out her name, and looked up. A smile spread across her muzzle. A familiar face was a very welcoming sight in such an unexplored place.

"Oh, hey Baelfire! It's been a while." She trotted over to the man with her golden tail swaying behind her. "I've been doing fine." The girl looked around the open expanse of the glade. "I see that you're starting to claim your territory. How's that going?" 

the staff team luvs u
[Image: GALA.png?width=1025&height=218]
Formation
Ecologist
01-06-2023, 02:54 AM
It had been his hope that she greeted him kindly, and he was not disappointed. His tail swayed behind him, flickering idly but welcoming all the same. He was not a man who often showed emotion, or else he risked it biting him in the ass. "It is going slow," He admitted freely, without a touch of malice "However, I have some allies now. They assist with loneliness." He would not ask them to do more than that. If the others wanted to help, he would not stop them. But he didn't expect it.

"But we have, indeed, begun a loose claim to the Glade" He looked past Galatea to the surrounding area behind her "I would not think of forcing anyone to agree with it" Vagabonds could come and go, he didn't care. As long as they didn't steal from eventual caches the others worked hard on... "but we have met no resistance from outsiders yet. Thank you for asking." He was dimly aware of another pack in the area, but it was farther away. He could relax. They could all relax.

"If you need rest or a place to safely sleep, you are free to stay here for as long as you need." He added. Baelfire could at least attest to his allies not jumping any poor women when they try to sleep!

the staff team luvs u
WHAT ARE YOU THEN?
01-08-2023, 01:15 AM
Gala nodded. "That's good to hear." It was always good to start somewhere after all. She had yet to meet his new allies, and hoped they were nice.

Judging from the way he spoke about the pack, it most likely wouldn't be a rigid one. A less exerting community, one that houses the mind over the body, she remembers him saying. Hopefully, that meant little to no conflict with other groups. That idea sounded promising.

She smiled warmly. "Thank you so much." It would likely take her a while to get back to her makeshift den, so she appreciated the offer.

The girl's eyes widened slightly, suddenly remembering something. "Oh yeah! I did say I'd ask more about it the next time we met." she started. "What exactly does being in this pack entail?"

the staff team luvs u
Formation
01-08-2023, 01:27 AM
Ah, that was right she was going to ask. He was content to let her take the lead with asking since he found talking too much about a concept to be tiresome and bloated. In such a way he felt a prickle of annoyance at himself for bragging. He nodded for her to come closer, over the invisible line they were creating, and enter. "I do not like many rules" He cautioned Galatea "all I asked is respect and courtesy among my members. I don't even want to call myself an alpha, for that demands respect instead of building to it." He shook his head. If someone did not respect him, they could leave. He was not forcing them to stay.

"Asclepius is a place of healing and learning. I only ask anyone pull the weight they want, not what is expected" He bit back a sigh, looking across the Glade "we'd have students studying what they wanted, mentors to teach them... But also generalized ranks for those who don't want to do that. I, personally, am a healer, so I would not turn away wolves or creatures that needed help that show up. As long as others are aware we are not going to ally with their pack." He didn't want alliances. He wanted friendships, and bonds to last beyond politics.

He shrugged. "It'd only be what someone wanted the pack to be. I do not want to police anyone or pester them to involve themselves. If someone needs a haven from the cold, they are free to come, rest and go when it warms up... I would not keep anyone here."

the staff team luvs u
WHAT ARE YOU THEN?
01-10-2023, 01:33 AM
Gala padded forward and encroached upon the light boundary, eager to hear what the male would say. 

She found that the ideas Baelfire was bringing forth sounded enticing to her. A place where you were encouraged to grow and help others while learning at your own pace. Where you were free to be yourself and not pressured to do more than you could. She wanted that. After all, there was still so much out there that she wanted to know. She found the man's goals for this place very admirable and hoped that he could meet them.

Gala nodded. "That sounds nice..." She looks down as if mulling over something. "So, you mentioned something about students." she started. "Do you think I could study here?"

the staff team luvs u
Formation
01-10-2023, 01:38 AM
It was delightful, honestly, to see someone know what they want and go for it. Even if it was not Asclepius itself, Baelfire had the hope that Galatea would reach her potential. "Of course, you can." He said clearly to the woman, wondering outside of plants and nature - what exactly did she have an interest in? It was clearly not the rain. He mentally berated himself for such a poor joke. He had the relief he didn't voice it.

"What do you want to study?" He asked her now "I ask so I may give you a good mentor, of course. Someone fully committed to your field." Progress and reports aside, the pack was still so small. He hoped Fennec was open to the idea of hunting and scouting more with a potential student than alone. Aniketos was too young to be a skilled mentor, but he also saw hope for his ward. But learning aside, Galatea was clearly interested in joining.

Honestly, it was also delightful. He had so few friends in this world. Keeping a few close to him and the pack was not going to kill him.

the staff team luvs u
WHAT ARE YOU THEN?
01-10-2023, 09:41 PM
A smile bloomed on Gala's face at that. "Thank you."

"I would like to learn more about plants. I'm very interested in their remedial properties, and also which ones I should stay away from."
she replied. "I want to learn how to better help and teach others as well..." 

She truly felt grateful for being allowed such an opportunity. Maybe this could be a chance for her to hone her skills, and in return use her knowledge to bring out the best in others. Especially in an environment with less pressure and expectations.

the staff team luvs u
Formation
Ecologist
Medic
01-10-2023, 10:04 PM
Since Fennec dealt with hunting, Baelfire knew an obvious choice of mentor for Galatea. He dipped his head somewhat as if embarrassed of putting himself out there so soon. "Would you be averse to me mentoring you?" He offered this, despite the added work it would entail for the pack. He was to be their Mender as well as a teacher. It wouldn't do to let others fill this position and he remained absent. He liked work. Even hard work.

"I have had training in plants - both good and bad" He recalled having the use of his hands in a previous world, and flexed his paws against the soil of the Glade "though I keep poison stored safely as a means to an end... If someone is suffering beyond our ability, some poisons can give them peace." He lowered his eyes as if in the situation now, subtly emotional if he pictured such a thing happening in this world too. What if someone in the pack...

No, he did not want to think about that. They were all still quite young. Healthy. He would make sure they were. "I have the skill to teach, but if you would rather someone else we could find another in time."

the staff team luvs u
WHAT ARE YOU THEN?
01-12-2023, 12:47 AM
Gala's eyes widened at his offer and she shook her head. "No, not at all. That would be perfectly fine." She hoped that she wouldn't do anything to disappoint him, since he seemed like such a good teacher.

She felt a small pang in her chest at Baelfire's change in expression. The thought of a patient being so far gone that you have no other choice was heart-wrenching to her. She could only imagine how many times the man's experienced that in the past. She decided she wouldn't try to pry on the matter.

"I'm fine with you teaching me, if that's ok." she said. "I just don't want to be too much of a burden."

the staff team luvs u
Formation
01-12-2023, 01:14 AM
He shook his head. "The burden lays with a teacher, not reaching their student" He told her "the burden of failure is not the student's fault. You are not a burden, Galatea. You appear to be eager to learn and bright enough to grasp information. That is all I hope for in a student." And he hoped he could escape the burden of failure with her.

They were already in the Glade, so he turned and began to lead her deeper in. "Until Asclepius is official, we'll find you a warm den" He offered, changing the subject before both of them spiraled to uncertainty "though you are free to back out and leave if you choose. Just let me know. It's, ah, common courtesy." He smiled, a bit humorous. Though it was not a joke. Truthful.

Some just left. He had left Dragonford. He had left the kingdom before it. He had said nothing. At least in the Ford's example, he had no leader to report to... But his pain had been too much and too fresh to discuss with the King. "Welcome to Asclepius." He added, breaking through his misery to hope again. 

/fade end?

the staff team luvs u
WHAT ARE YOU THEN?
scroll to top