Welcome to Canis Major

a wolf and animal rpg (role-playing game)

Canis is a writing community for play-by-post (forum-based), freeform roleplay set in a fictional dream world in the intrusion fantasy genre. Most characters on Canis are wolves; many play elements are focused around wolves and canids, but the world makes room for a large variety of other animal characters such as dogs, horses, cats, bears, deer, and many, many more.

Our community is focused on flexibility, creativity, and collaboration. That boils down to a few important features:

• There is no set activity requirement to write
  • The setting and plot are member-created and staff-supported
  • The game is continuously improved to increase fun and decrease stress

Learn more in our Rulebook!

AW
What the hell is that

Morning Sunny/Clear
AW
12-06-2022, 12:58 AM
 Y'know, waking up in a weird place is funny. You don't remember where you fell asleep, and you sure don't know where you're waking up to. All that he saw was one weird area. A field with spires of stone that reached high above his head.

Now that's weird. He doesn't remember ever seeing anything like this before in his life. Sure they don't quite touch the sky, but he'd be damned if he didn't think they were big. Because they were. His opinion on this was correct. As correct as someone standing there staring at a wall of rock is. In his defense nobody has come to challenge is internal opinion either. As far as he's concerned right now, that's how things will stay until he decides to actually take one step away from his position.

Which he does.

Except it's right around the rock he was looking at before.

By god he's quite the point of interest, isn't he?

Slowly Evander made his way around the slab. He twirled himself around this freaky item of nature, looking it up and down as if upon looking at it again some feature of it may change before him. What is he expecting? It's stone. As stone as stone can be. He isn't the brightest wolf either, but after a few moments of his constant inspection a scent wafted itself to his nose. The scent of other wolves.

Were these their rocks?

the staff team luvs u
[Image: linearts_1718_by_saltwaterhermit_dbza6n2.png]
Ecologist
12-07-2022, 07:48 PM
Tending to his gardens had become almost ritualistic to the once doctored wolf. As a man, he was a slight green thumb but never to the scale that he was now. It was almost primitive but the ways were the same. He simply had no thumbs to garden with. He could dig up roots and replant the flora he intended to harvest in the months coming and all would be well, he hoped but this was his first year of doing so. Such as it was, he'd learnt many a thing by doing it for this many months and after 3 seasons of experience, he'd hoped he'd have gotten a handle on it. 

Winter was a barren month however from the right maintenance, he'd been able to prolong some wild flowers from the autumn into the beginning of the winter season. Debudding had been a big part of keeping the flowers around for longer and with each one he did, the more flowers grew back. The idea was to not allow them to reseed until the end of the season, then he would keep their seeds and replant them in the new year once the frosts had gone.

With the first frost having come though, it was likely he'd have to say goodbye to many of his plants that had flowered. It was there that he was around the standing stones, plucking the dried, seeded buds off of their stalks and onto a small pelt that he intended to take back to his den with him. There was a resounding sound of moving grasses that caught his attention, his head peering around a stone to come face to face with a stranger that looked rather confused. He was staring up at the stone with a look of ignorance, but that was bliss in most cases. God forbid he be caught by Kore looking like that. She'd write a whole theatre piece explaining exactly why things weren't as they were. 

A soft woof parted his lips to alert the stranger before he even thought about speaking. Oisin's expression remained lax, and a kind as you could be when you come across a stranger in your own territory. He even offered a gentle smile in greeting and bowed his head. He must be one of those who'd just awoken in this world. It would be the only thing to explain why he'd wandered so deep into a territory. Politely, he began an introduction. 

"Welcome to Greenwood," his lips quirked, "And what is it they call you sir?"

the staff team luvs u
12-07-2022, 11:15 PM
 The bark was very needed in the presence of Evander. Especially the gentle one that immitted from the pack wolf. Anything other and his mind would have gone to the worst. He just sort of thought like that. He preferred to have the first hello so that he could process anything and everything about the opposing animal he was interacting with. The soft noise soothed him, albeit he still jumped slightly in his skin. That's just a given since he was so enraptured by the objects before him.

As Oisin announced his presence he turned himself around, looking the brown coated wolf up and down. It was a mental assessment of mannerisms and just overall figure. Since he didn't get the first hello he had to deduce his own opinions elsewhere. Again the first note was that Oisin meant no harm, at least not yet. The scent of flowers and mint was all over him along with the faint smell of comrades, helping him really come to some other conclusions. The other was about as tall as him, although heftier than Evander. This wasn't too much of an issue on Oisin's end and more so the fact Evander himself is just one light fellow. For as long as he can remember he's just been incapable of putting on weight.

After a moment of his almost intent staring he finally realized he needed to speak up. It would be rude not to. Consider the fact... y'know... technically he's trespassing. "I apologize, sir." He lead his statement with a soft bow of his head. Greenwood. What an interesting name. To him it was simplistic, but still held almost a mystical tang to it. "My name is Evander, though I do not mind if the 'eh' is left off." He's allowed wolves to reference him as Vander before. Mostly the pups. They couldn't fathom the idea to say that first sound.

He raised his head up once more to keep himself as straight as possible. He also was just overall trying to keep his posture calm while not seeming too calm. He'd learned that being all too lose in the face of someone could lead to you looking incompetent or just overall stupid. He didn't want that. Sure maybe he could later, but he didn't know where he was, or just overall who this was before him. A pack wolf of Greenwood, yes, but that's just a title in retrospect.

"If I may - who may you be?" He retorted the question back to the oak painted fellow.

the staff team luvs u
Adventurer
12-08-2022, 08:37 PM
He was a wise soul, his reactions were true and honest while his words were polite. He initially sized the timber male up and while they both were similar, neither was the same in mass. Oisin was on the heavier scale but perhaps that was because he didn't do as much physically. He was a softer man, not athletic though if a time came to it, he did wonder if he could take to violence. He'd been unsure initially, with his childhood so variable with it's unpredictability. Perhaps he should ask Kore if she knew anyone who he could spar with, it might be worth becoming a piece of knowledge to know having never fought in a wolf's body. But anyway

His name was Evander, or just Vander. Oisin smiled appropriately, abandoning his seeds and approaching the male to a comfortable distance where he then settled. His haunches lowered to the ground but he didn't look any less confident. He seemed friendly, but not subservient. Kindness wasn't an emotion to be weak about, no matter what your role was in life. Soft eyes were sympathetic to the man, but they did not pity him. They were both in the same boat, in the past or present. 

The brunette male knew what it was like to wake up with a stranger, but Oisin could only hope he would be less hostile than his welcome party. 

"A pleasure to meet you, Evander," the male hummed with a slight tilt of his head, a smile pulling lopsided at his maw. 

"My name is Oisin. Am I correct in assuming you just awoke in this... I suppose realm would suit it best?" his query was common, though he wasn't often someone who stumbled upon the newly alive, or fresh faced hopefuls who had arrived here. The Queen often spoke about draíocht, so perhaps this was it in action. Nothing explained why they arrived here, it was varying amongst the few he'd met. He'd been in a motoring accident when he'd awoken and that was that. So perhaps, this man too had a story he would be willing to share.

the staff team luvs u
3-3-3
this characters thoughts, feelings and opinions do not reflect my own.

12-09-2022, 12:08 AM
 Oh thank the heavens, maybe Evander wasn't going to be some loon who woke up in front of some strange rocks. With the calmness to Oisin's words something informed Evander deep down that this was something that wasn't a foreign idea. Some place that was like a deep black hole. Sucked strangers up through its little straw. Fun.

Evander let out a bit of a nervous chuckle as he nodded to the other fellow. Despite the comfort of not encouraged to feel crazy, he still did nonetheless.

"Yes, I did." He spoke, his words careful. He didn't want to step foot in a foreign territory of words. "It may seem a little silly, but yes." He repeated the phrase of 'yes' a bit more than he would like. That was just his nerves talking. To him if he agreed with Oisin's words enough he wouldn't be so foreign to this new word. It could be welcoming. Maybe a little support group would be waiting for him wherever he would go. No. That just sounds silly.

After a beat or so Evander continued. His small built paws gently patted the ground below his feet. The grass slipped itself an intermingled with the scarce fur between his paws. This made him feel much more connected to the ground below him. It allowed him to take a soothing deep breath, filling his lungs with fresh crisp air.

He decided to go for a grab at some loose strands.

"I imagine this is... a common occurrence?" Despite the calmness he had instituted into his body he still seemed a little uneasy to ask the question. He had good enough grounds to go onto it, but still he was trying his best not to embarrass himself. That's what he would hate to do the most in this situation. Make a fool out of himself in front of the first person he's met on this land. That would ruin his track record forever! Oisin would likely know more of this place than he did. From the collected phrases he presented it added a heavy notion of wiseness to the other, making him seem mature in his own body. Like he knew things. Maybe he could help him.

the staff team luvs u
Counsellor
12-11-2022, 09:35 PM (This post was last modified: 12-11-2022, 09:40 PM by Oisin. Edited 1 time in total.)
{Counsellor}

Oisin could only smile with sympathy as he sat amongst the frosted grasses. It was difficult to admit that something so supernatural existed, to awaken in a timeline unbeknownst to yourself. Magic and all that, they didn't exist in many worlds and if they did, it was all speculation. Perhaps this was a simulation, or even an experiment carried out by the government. It wouldn't make much sense to be testing something so silly though and everyone had altered memories of their life before. 

Oisin was a doctor after all, with two legs and opposable thumbs. 

"Silly I suppose, but a reality to accept for now," the man before him, the wolf, seemed to be of a nervous disposition and it made him wonder if perhaps he should pass the guy onto somebody with more charisma than himself. For now Oisin would do, but if he decided Kore would be a better option, he'd have to call her in and hope she was near them. 

"Everyone wakes up differently. Some in a more natural state, washed up on a bank perhaps. I do often wonder if they find it harder to accept their circumstances or just disregard it." he pondered a loud, his eyes drifting to the standing stone now behind the man before refocusing his mind.

"Some just appear, like you did. As did I, not so far from here." his tail beat steadily behind his feet for a few moments, his smile quirking in familiarity to the man's situation. He wasn't alone in this unbelievable story.

the staff team luvs u
3-3-3

12-16-2022, 09:19 PM
 Evander steadily nodded at Oisin's thoughts. Sure he really was struggling to understand, but he'd make do.

He had just popped into existence. Like the sky birthed him itself. It was weird, and it was uncomfortable. His body still had a subtle buzz in itself. Like ants writing under his skin in hopes of finding their way out. Not many ants, but enough that it was noticeable.

Oisin had awoken like him. Maybe in the land of Greenwood, or near it. That seemed to gently ease the firing nerves of Evander even more. He wasn't alone, and he wasn't crazy. Sure he was already assured he wasn't crazy, but when the other went into more depth as opposed to just simply agreeing with him that helped so much more.

He took a smell breath as he allowed the chill of the air to nestle in his lungs. Okay Evander, you're okay here. "Well, I do thank you for your comfort." He answered with a small chuckle. It still held some hints of nerves, but he was doing alright enough now. "It's well appreciated. Considering everything and all." He wasn't the best with words, but the honesty in his tone was as obvious as can be. He was grateful for the presence that Oisin offered, as well as the familiarity he added to this moment of confusion.

His eyes slid around once more, taking in the scenery before him. It was beautiful, honestly. The night's frost still laid upon the earth below. This world might not be too different from his own, but he wasn't in too big of a position to make that guess as of now.

the staff team luvs u
Counsellor
12-16-2022, 09:53 PM
Vander was a cautious man, but he was kind. Oisin offered him a relaxed smile before rising to his paws and shaking out the frost that had collected on his haunches. Admittedly, it was nice to hear the man laugh - refreshing - though Oisin could still see the pressure the guy was under to keep up with what was happening. Within his head, Oisin knew he should probably stop overwhelming the guy with knowledge. Let what he just said sink in before adding more fuel. 

So, he turned his back to the guy and took a few steps towards the hide he was using to carry the seeds to before he stopped and cast his gaze over his shoulder with a grin. 

"You happened to catch me preparing for spring. I'm gathering seeds to sow when the frosts cease you see, for both beauty and health." his tone was friendly, but it was nice to change the subject for just a moment before Oisin extended his paws in welcome. He wouldn't mind seeing a man around the place every so often. Though, they didn't have to fancy the greenery as much as he. Greenwood did need its fair share of protecters. Again he thought about inviting Kore to greet the new man. 

"Feel free to stick around the territory until you gain your bearings. I can offer you a place to rest or freshen up if you think you need it too." His offer was open and since where he stored the seeds was by his den already, it wasn't like it was a diversion from his original route but simply next door. "I won't ask you to meet our Queen until after though, if you're interested. She's a lovely lady but she's very energetic. I'm sure you have a lot to process and I'm willing to answer any questions you have until then." Vander didn't have to meet the queen but Oisin thought it necessary to let her know that there was another man on the territory before she runs into the stranger. So he simply asked one last thing.

"Will you walk with me?"

the staff team luvs u
3-3-3

12-16-2022, 11:22 PM
 He watched with careful eyes as Oisin moved. He couldn't help but be weary with him, and to make sure that no wrong moves were taken. Sure Oisin had proved his innocence, but history favors those who remain vigilant. So that he would remain.

His gaze lingered to the hide below him, staring at it. He didn't lie, in fact the hide merely proved Oisin's statement. He was likely a herbalist of sorts. A healer for this pack. Maybe not. Maybe Evander could be completely wrong and he was aiming at straws in the air that didn't even exist. He could find it out eventually, but he still needed a moment to catch his bearings with the ideas that already were present in his head. Appearing suddenly, and all.

Subconsciously Evander stepped forward, placing careful paws in the frost below.

Then the invitation. 'Will you walk with me?'

He sure couldn't turn that down.

Moving forward even more Evander came closer to where the other had moved off to. "I would be a fool to deny." It was meant as a light joke, but in all honesty it held more honesty than just a blatant truth. He owed this man at least a little company, especially after the hospitality that had been offered.

"I'll take you up on that offer of questions too - and I just got a little one." He seemed as though he was pushing out a shell, becoming a bit more talkative. "What exactly are you to this pack?" He had a feeling he didn't phrase it well enough. Maybe added a few more words, so he did. "I mean, what do you do for them? Herbalist? Protector? Little bit of both?" It was just a silly little thing that had come up in his mind, and now he just needed a small reassurance.

the staff team luvs u
Greenwood
Counsellor
01-03-2023, 11:54 PM
A light chuckle rolled from his chest as the man joined him with his own jest. It was nice to meet someone who accepted his humble offer and as they came side by side - although Oisin was about a pace ahead as he lead the way - Vander took up his offer to ask a question. He pondered it for a moment, though there wasn't much to really say on the matter. He was a doctor. He devoted his life to the herbal remedies he was limited to in this form of a canid. He'd sought to aide where he could be it for the body or mind and while he also would happily stand to arms for the pack, it wasn't his primary role. 

"We all do our part here, Greenwood is a small territory and our numbers are few. Myself? I am a healer, a doctor. I preserve this years herbs, plant gardens for the new year and see to any wounded folks. We stand neutrally so we don't see much war, but I do my fair share of guardian duties when i am called to. Any little helps here and the community is thankful for it, we help anyone that comes through too. Times are hard for everyone, not just ourselves so we try to stay humble and do a little bit of everything. I suppose that would change if our numbers grew however."

His answer wasn't supposed to be lengthy and it felt as though he'd waffled a bit but it got his answer across. He offered a sheepish smile to Vander. It was there that he picked up his platter of seeds, their rounded bodies rolling into the centre of the small scrap of hide that he lifted from all four corners. It limited his speech, but he was still able to talk. Though this stranger would simply have to listen harder. He was willing to answer anything the guy wanted to know.

the staff team luvs u
3-3-3

01-04-2023, 01:04 AM
 It made sense to him, in all honesty. Not only the doctor part, but just playing everything a little bit all at once. He'd seen multiple people who do that. You temper with everything in a palette, but even with a vast selection of colors there will always be one that you like more than the others. Even though it's something he's never quite gone through himself he's seen it many times. He usually just focuses on one thing himself, but still. He can see the point.

"I don't see why things would change, if your pack got bigger." Evander shrugged his shoulders a little bit. He was kind of going backwards through everything Oisin spoke of. The work itself was less within his shoulders and more so in the nonchalant bob of his head. "If you're as humble as you say, sure some more specific workings may need to be put in, but you could still help others. It might even mean that things get better." The athletic male wasn't speaking from any experience, yet again. He was just sort of going with the flow of his tongue, y'know? He's always been a runner. Mostly because no good respite was ever offered.

He glanced to the little self made sack that Oisin held. "I could tell you are a damn good doc though." His little shell was slowly just being busted open, giving way to his confined energy. The confusion has sort of washed away, scrubbed off by the hospitality offered. This gave way to a man who wanted to not only know the world around him, but also how to utilize the aforementioned world in the right way. Things were already so different from the last, so he needed to relearn how to correctly hoist himself up again.

the staff team luvs u
Counsellor
01-04-2023, 01:22 AM
It was always nice to have a different perspective. Through eyes that came from the outside, as they looked in, they often offered insight that you passed over or ignored out of habit. It wasn't as though you were missing something, you just didn't see its importances as much as you likely once did. Vander's eyes saw what Oisin did not and they were hopeful, aspiring and they did make Oisin humble a little. 

"I su'pose you are correct, I 'on't think G'eenwood would ever stop helping others. You'll have to meet our Queen, @Kore . She's a real charmer," While it was muffled by the hide, his irish had diluted since he'd come to this world a year ago, and even before than he had gone to live on british turf for many years whilst he had learnt to become a better doctor. However, speaking of Kore often brought the familiar tones from beneath his learnt behaviours that he used to be better understood. It was a sound he enjoyed, to feel his heritage return to his tongue. 

"I mean to say that we'd have more time doing what we specialise in or to help others if there were more bodies for each task," he confirmed with a small nod. He pondered for a moment there as he headed down a slight incline where the stones were left behind them and open plains flanked them to their left and right. The nestle was ahead, in the distance like a shadow on the horizon. Hills rose before it, and there was the odd scattering of trees. Water was on the air, the trickle of the stream growing louder as they walked on ahead. 

The comment about Oisin and his doctor came from Vander out of nowhere. It was bold and heat rose to the shy man. He felt his lips pull into a small, his gaze darting away with a small snort. This man had known him for a brief 10 minutes, and his character was already charming to the irish wolf. He cast his eyes back and with a thankful wink and a squinting grin he gestured ahead. 

"Welcome to Greenwood!"

I'm happy to fade here and make a new thread when they get to Oisin's den, that or it could be the next day! If you'd like we can meet Kore ;)

the staff team luvs u
scroll to top