Welcome to Canis Major

a wolf and animal rpg (role-playing game)

Canis is a writing community for play-by-post (forum-based), freeform roleplay set in a fictional dream world in the intrusion fantasy genre. Most characters on Canis are wolves; many play elements are focused around wolves and canids, but the world makes room for a large variety of other animal characters such as dogs, horses, cats, bears, deer, and many, many more.

Our community is focused on flexibility, creativity, and collaboration. That boils down to a few important features:

• There is no set activity requirement to write
  • The setting and plot are member-created and staff-supported
  • The game is continuously improved to increase fun and decrease stress

Learn more in our Rulebook!

AW
Oh bother..

Midnight Sunny/Clear
AW
Ecologist
12-01-2022, 12:13 AM
^^There were Zombies, Werewolves, and Vampires. Ghouls, Demons, Acheris, and all sorts of monsters that could be out there. Archon knew of this for a fact; he had encountered them, and dare he say — his own pack was friends with them.

He knew this and believed this. The Acheri had taken a child of Northfall, and that was why important figures from other packs had met together to find a way of justice and punishment that did not require a full out war between two packs.

Then the Acheri was struck down and carried off by her, assumingly fellow Acheri’s for a burial. He did not know, nor did he care about the ‘Gods,’ but seeing death up close and ‘in person’ had a certain feel to it.

He could still hear the crackling of thunder. Could that happen, at any moment, or just to the supernatural?

He glared up at the evening sky and tried to make sense of everything.
^^

the staff team luvs u
Ecologist
12-09-2022, 07:55 PM
"Hello again."

Her wanderings would once more cause her to venture from Tundra to Mountains. This time, however, it was a familiar face and not a stranger. She wagged her curly tail as she walked up to Archon, a beaming smile on her lips. The boy had been on the receiving end of her fortunes, and she wondered if it had assisted him in any way. She didn't expect to draw a love fortune for him of all things.

But he seemed to be scowling at the sky. Nikki glanced up at it, finding the stars to be the same and Lady Moon to be there as usual. The rumble of thunder was in the horizon, perhaps... She hoped so. It would be awfully rude of nature to rain on her re-meeting! "How have you been, Archon?" Her gaze drifted back to him, her head tilting to the side. Waiting for an answer, expecting one.

If he wanted to share his concerns, Nikki was all ears!

the staff team luvs u
Ecologist
12-09-2022, 08:11 PM
^^Hello again, Archon nearly jumped out of his skin, having been in very deep thought and not having realized that another had approached until after she spoke. When he turned to look towards her, Archon was surprised to see that Nikita was there beside him.

“Nikita! Hey!” Archon beamed up at her, smiling and wagging his tail, recalling her fortune on love, of all things, although things hadn’t quite gone according to his plan. He was alone now.

Alone and questioning things, as always.

He still hadn’t found his way; his skill, or trade, aside from music, and now his heart was wounded, empty, and alone.

“I-I’ve, uh, been… ” There was a hesitation as he glanced away from her for a moment, then forced a smile back at her. “I’ve been great! I attended pack business with Ma, and now I’m looking at the sky! I saw a woman get struck down by lightening, and now I want to learn more about the weather. Do you think that's possible? ”

He said with a series of nods, glancing up at the moon and stars.

“H-how’ve you been, Nikita? Good, I hope?”
^^

the staff team luvs u
Adventurer
12-10-2022, 01:41 AM
The hesitation was enough for her to figure out; something was up. She tilts her head further at the boy as he continues to speak, calmly smiling in her way as he greeted her. But his words were somewhat dark, strained, and awestruck all at once. "Someone got hit by lightning?" She repeated, her hooded eyes flying open in some delicate shock "w-well, I do not know about the weather as much as some... But I think there are stories about why the weather happens the way it does." She admits with a light shrug.

The question came back to her. The woman blinked once, looking confused and bewildered about how to reply. "I still am without a pack, but I've not gotten into any scuffles with others - vagabond or pack wolf" Nikita began honestly "I was about to head back to the Mountains due to the winter, and settle down there" If she knew Archon was hurting, she would have comforted him in some way "there was a man who was making a new pack in one of the woods down south, and he invited me to read fortunes for his members." But.

She shook her head. "When I traveled that way, there was no sign of them" Ah well! "I'll try around the mountain packs, and see who wants some guidance. But yes, I have been good, Archon. Thank you for asking."

the staff team luvs u
12-10-2022, 01:55 AM
^^Something was indeed up, but Archon didn’t like to unload himself too heavily on others. He watched over her and her reaction, nodding his head as he looked to the sky. “There was this big thing, with this lady from Dragonford. She had been brought before many other leaders, to judge her fate for killing the daughter of another pack leader.” Archon said, softly, still looking at the sky, “and then the sky opened up and silenced her forever.”

It was interesting to see the way she reacted to him. She traveled for a living, he knew, without a pack, and yet - she seemed shocked that he had asked about her? Did she not have friends? Of course, Archon didn’t really have friends, either.

He listened, with interest, as she spoke, about to ask about this mysterious man when she said that he vanished. Were vanishing wolves a problem in the mountains? What if Hawking had vanished? How would he ever find him again? His ears lowered, though he tried not to think about it.

“I am sorry that your plans did not go… as planned, but I am glad that you are well.” He would look at her with a smile and wag of his tail. All forced, of course.

“If you haven’t found a pack that you like, why not make your own?”

After all, how hard could it be?
^^

the staff team luvs u
Visionary
Adventurer
12-10-2022, 05:22 AM
Truly? Death and murder? Nature versus judgment of the gods... Were the gods upset with this world or the mortals, or was this mere nature at work? An accident, or a punishment? It was difficult to tell without being there, of course. She would have liked to ask Archon where he had gone but felt it was not her business in the end. She was not a pack wolf; this was pack business. Nikki was unaware that it had been Elsewhen, a place she had visited and met some folks there.

"That sounds so horrible!" Both to witness and to have happened to another. Nikki's ears pinned back against her head and she looked momentarily saddened by the loss of life on all sides "I am sorry you saw such a thing, Archon. It must have been difficult." He was but a boy, after all. The shock seemed to have worn off — or he was really good at hiding his emotions — but still! A child should not witness such a thing. She was gladdened Lady Moon did not strike down others. Though Lady Moon had been red as blood weeks prior...

Was the gods' wrath and the Red Lady a sign of more things to come?

Archon snapped her back out of her thoughts. "O-Oh... I am not much of a leader," She tittered "many want strong and certain alphas. I fear I am oft too fickle to make my mind up at the best of times. I cannot be responsible for anyone but myself..." Her eyes drooped somewhat "no one wants a fickle leader, and surely one that is too restless to stick around in a location for long. I would not even know what to do, in order to make a pack."

And the mountains were too crowded. Much too crowded. Like Archon, she attempted to smile. It felt forced but genuine. "Yes, yes. I seem to be too selfish to be a natural leader. If I cannot make my mind up on a pack, I cannot make decisions for others" She was happy, albeit a bit lonely, to be a vagabond. Nikki did not seem much disturbed by her words, even if they were indirectly insulting herself. She giggles now. "I doubt anyone could see me as an alpha, anyway."

the staff team luvs u
12-13-2022, 06:18 AM
^^What’s funny is that it didn’t even register to Archon that whatever he had seen was something bad, or worse than anything else. She was a bad woman, having killed a child, and got what was coming to her. Yet, Nikita was apologizing, and Archon smiled as weakly as he head been feeling.

He just hadn’t thought too much about it. When he suggested making her own pack, Archon tilted his head at her reply. He thought about his parents, and their personalities in regards to how they led Duskguard.

“Oh. Well, I suppose you’ll never know til you try, huh? It's better than having to depend on others all the time.” He said, as though he was speaking from experience.
^^

the staff team luvs u
Adventurer
12-28-2022, 02:10 AM
"I think I'd rather not."

Nikki smiled, though less strained than before. No, she would not wish for the responsibility of leading others. Them blindly following her. She disappoints them in the end. She was much too flighty to really commit to any one ideal. She'd change her mind a lot and get into trouble for it, surely. To Archon, a young man, the idea of a new pack and leading was tantalizing. To her... She did not care for it.

"I already do not rely on others," She explained to him "I'm often traveling alone, without companions" She inclined her head to the lad "I already have my own power too" Power, fame... She wanted the freedom of choice. She feared making decisions - the wrong ones - for herself, let alone others "I am a fortune teller. That... I know for sure. Other things..." She shook her head.

"How funny that I hold answers for others, but not myself."

the staff team luvs u
12-28-2022, 11:00 PM
^^Actually, the prospect of leading a pack was not tantalizing to Archon. He’d never dreamed of such things. He, much like Nikita, did not dream to lead, and did not care for it - but she seemed desperate for a pack, and if she was so desperate - she had the ability to make one, if she truly needed.

She mentioned her fortunes, a topic that Archon had been trying to avoid. His eyes lowered, and he let out the most bitter, uncharacteristic laugh that he had ever heard. His chest tightened, and there was a feeling in his chest that rose from his stomach.

It demanded attention, and Archon fought with himself to control his emotions. He wanted to bite something; wanted to growl - wanted to do something to let out this beast from within.

But it wasn’t her fault.

It was his.

So he whined, and squirmed, and -

“I-I.. I think I b-better go,” came Archon’s shaky, unstable voice as he turned to leave.

(attempted) exit archon, if not stopped
^^

the staff team luvs u
scroll to top