Welcome to Canis Major

a wolf and animal rpg (role-playing game)

Canis is a writing community for play-by-post (forum-based), freeform roleplay set in a fictional dream world in the intrusion fantasy genre. Most characters on Canis are wolves; many play elements are focused around wolves and canids, but the world makes room for a large variety of other animal characters such as dogs, horses, cats, bears, deer, and many, many more.

Our community is focused on flexibility, creativity, and collaboration. That boils down to a few important features:

• There is no set activity requirement to write
  • The setting and plot are member-created and staff-supported
  • The game is continuously improved to increase fun and decrease stress

Learn more in our Rulebook!

P
Lately I, can't decide, run or hide,

Afternoon Overcast
P
Elkshire
Labyrinthian
Ecologist
11-28-2022, 10:26 PM (This post was last modified: 12-23-2022, 08:31 PM by Célnes. Edited 1 time in total.)
the river that divided labyrinthian and elkshire

The snow had long since stopped and came no more. It seemed to just be a fluke, or a reminder from the heavens that winter was just around the corner. They survived once and would again, Celnes did not have worries about the issue of prey and so — war and troubles had lacked the temperate, and competition for food was not the largest. Packs were silent, keeping to their corners and otherwise minimal communication that came.. Though the Queen did wonder, how were her neighbors doing?

A convienance she could still remain within her forest, but gaze at either Nightwalkers or.. Celnes looked across the river to see where the land of Labryinthian was, so close and yet so far — where both peacefully did not venture into other's territory with the river dividing them so. A peaceful alliance she thought, both with a bit of.. Differences. He may not be the most likable colors, but all can be tossed aside for the sake of something more. Nor' did she mind their own complications of the wolf.

A hum, as she sat by the waters, wondering whether destiny would bring one of them.

@Madmortigan

the staff team luvs u
12-10-2022, 06:07 PM
 “Queen Celnes.” The Harbinger greeted when he came to the river for an afternoon drink. “This is a pleasant happenstance. How do you and Elkshire fare?”

Their claim was a strong one, and Madmortigan had to admit a private and genuine appreciation for the neighbor that outnumbered them thrice over and remained placid, pleasant.

“Winter is blowing in quick from the mountains.”

the staff team luvs u
[Image: unknown.png]
— thank you hanna! <3
Ecologist
12-12-2022, 07:18 PM (This post was last modified: 12-23-2022, 08:31 PM by Célnes. Edited 1 time in total.)
"Madmortigan. A pleasure to meet again." She wasn't unappreciative to see the other cult leader across the borders. Perhaps even a friendliness could be formed between the two, strenghtening bonds between packs when it grew a bit more tough.

"We are blessed with abundancy. Our forest hasn't failed us before." There was pride, by the picking of the High Elk to grant her appearance within the crown. Though every moment that has tested the elk-followers was otherwordly appearances, such as the poisoned waters.. Long since recovered since then, as the forest always thrives. She sat with a proud smile, a crowning head as she turned the question back, "how does your own fare as we prepare for winter's grace?"

Even a breeze would grant them an audience.. She doesn't believe his pack has yet to face winter as a whole. She would hope they will survive.

the staff team luvs u
12-18-2022, 07:35 PM
 “We are faring very well, thank you.” Those of them that remained. With Melchior off at his behest exploring the mountain packs, the Roots were lonely of late, with more shadows than souls.

“Did your newest brood enjoy the snow we had recently? I remember I was mesmerized by it the first time I came out of the den to a blanket of white.” Now more than one lifetime ago.

the staff team luvs u
— thank you hanna! <3
Ecologist
12-21-2022, 07:33 PM
"In truth the forest hasn't gathered enough snow to truly see on. It has melted quite fast." They held the first snowfall and hunt that it brought, but days after it then melted.. She could feel the cold air, but could not see the interest of snow, as it melted just as fast as it came. Perhaps it was still too early, and their part of the forest was too warm — furthest down from most of packs, but not by extreme lengths. But as she looked to the sky, gray and dull as it was — perhaps it was right to say that would soon end, and their part of the forest would be danced in snow.

"I couldn't even say I remember my first snow," she admitted."

the staff team luvs u
12-21-2022, 08:46 PM
 The queen spoke true - Winter’s grip was less a vise and more a cradle this early yet, perhaps they were blessed with a climate that would never become fully locked in the season’s frigid embrace.

Madmortigan gazed at the mahogany she-wolf, studying her. “Have you lived multiple lives as I have, or were you born to this land like your children?”

the staff team luvs u
— thank you hanna! <3
12-23-2022, 08:41 PM
Celnes shook her head, "I had died once, and re-emerged.. Alone." She was not born here, and did not believe anyone was born in the region except the few young. It was strange how so many seemingly were picked up elsewhere — she still remembered the deceased Bearbuck, Nikitas, who mentioned of a land she could only imagine, some place her mortal eyes have never seen, and could not imagine by his descriptions alone. Others described simiarly, too many waking up within Elkshire to be a true coincidence.. Did her young realize that yet? They were special?

They were born.

"It's quite strange."

the staff team luvs u
12-23-2022, 10:46 PM
 “Strange, or divine.” The Harbinger offered with a gentle cant of his head.

“I believe you and I were brought back for righteous reasons.” Madmortigan regarded her then, the narrow strip of frozen water an easy thing to cross, though the ice splintered and cracked beneath his feet, soaking his paws.

“I also believe you have less scruples than some.”

the staff team luvs u
— thank you hanna! <3
12-28-2022, 01:34 AM
"I believe as well. Mistakes were to happen, but here to renew.. A crown to keep, and a crown to continue." When she thought of her first reign, it was difficult ; fights, questions, neighbors accusing, and the continual of question of her monarchy. Annoyances brought to, and she tried to adjust and adapt to more modern-thoughts of what was not Deorwine.. Her tail flickered in a mild annoyance when she thought of those times, fixing with fights and so, and only her death.

But she started over, and prosper was here.

"What life did you lead, before all this?" She asked him, curious on how her neighbor came to be.

the staff team luvs u
Visionary
12-28-2022, 04:42 PM
 “I was born into the Order, the only child of my parents first litter and heir, with a duty set from birth to carry out Labyrinthian’s legacy.” A yoke, fastened thick and weighted around his willing neck.

“Even so, I was allowed to experience the world in my pup-hood, and I came to understand the truth of our divinity. I led the Order in my previous life before my sister and I were eaten by a bear. Then we awoke in the Roots we now call home.”

Madmortigan looked to the Elkshire queen, a neighbor and unlikely friend. “And what of you? How did you come into your royal rule?”

the staff team luvs u
— thank you hanna! <3
01-03-2023, 09:42 PM
"Blue-blooded from birth." An envy to the easy crown that came, for Celnes knew, if it wasn't for the coincidences and even the fire that drove the Deorwines from their homeland.. She would never have the crown. There was too many in the line for it, and she was quite within the back. Her Grandfather chose none, and many thought it was her father, but even then, still refused to name. It was why he was so uncaring to his wife, and his children — too busy, for the crown to gain. The apple doesn't fall far from the tree.

"Although I had royal blood, I was not close to the throne. Yet our home had long since perished, and we all had to flee. It felt it was my duty, and by the light of the High Elk, to lead the Deorwine to a new future.." but she wouldn't admit that it didn't end too well, "and it was even more fate, to place roots here." But the reign did not end just yet.

"As a paw extension, how do you feel on marriage?"

the staff team luvs u
01-03-2023, 10:03 PM
 “Then your story and rule is all the more admirable. You were ambitious enough to forge something new.”

Madmortigan blinked at the non sequitur, smiling slow.

“That depends on who’s marrying and what that marriage is for.”

the staff team luvs u
— thank you hanna! <3
01-04-2023, 08:55 PM
"A rule to continually approve," a smile that slickened as she spoke. For it was true she continued to be ambitious, but it would not end within this talk of snow and ruling, "once upon a time I arranged with the Nightwalkers Lord for my first litter, to strengthen what bond we have. Though as years went by, I do not wish to take that toil on my body again." Celnes was a fruitful mother, she had 12 kids in total, and half were a disappointment. The strain of sins, and she looked to the sky remembering the despair of each one.. Should she had proposed to do the same with Madmortigan — but when she looked back with a smile, it was clear as day. He was white.

"My brood seem too young for your own.. But perhaps, a way to continue our ruling in a strengthen bond, is to present a wife from Elkshire."

the staff team luvs u
01-04-2023, 10:59 PM
 When she spoke of the Nightwalker lord, previously unconnected pieces clicked into place. It also raised her speech to that of royalty - she was talking about a wife for him.

Madmortigan smiled. “I’m listening. I’m interested. Who do you have in mind?”

the staff team luvs u
— thank you hanna! <3
01-08-2023, 07:06 PM
"There is a particular woman I favor, but she has been awfully lonely. In truth I was looking for someone appropriate.." When she thought of those in Elkshire, a few were slowly coming to mind but it never truly came to be. She waited, she watched, but the fair lady never found someone for herself either. What if Celnes toyed with so? She wondered if the other would accept ; but she was never one to say no.

"Teodora. Perhaps I can arrange a date?"

the staff team luvs u
01-08-2023, 07:09 PM
 Of all the Elkshire wolves he’d met in his time occupying the region, Teodora was not one he’d met. Still, to have the Queen’s favor, with the flexibility and malleability that came from not being a blood relative - a fine match indeed.

“I accept. Bring her to me, Celnes.”

the staff team luvs u
— thank you hanna! <3
scroll to top