Welcome to Canis Major

a wolf and animal rpg (role-playing game)

Canis is a writing community for play-by-post (forum-based), freeform roleplay set in a fictional dream world in the intrusion fantasy genre. Most characters on Canis are wolves; many play elements are focused around wolves and canids, but the world makes room for a large variety of other animal characters such as dogs, horses, cats, bears, deer, and many, many more.

Our community is focused on flexibility, creativity, and collaboration. That boils down to a few important features:

• There is no set activity requirement to write
  • The setting and plot are member-created and staff-supported
  • The game is continuously improved to increase fun and decrease stress

Learn more in our Rulebook!

When we were kids in the backyard

Adventurer
11-25-2022, 05:58 PM (This post was last modified: 01-06-2023, 04:09 AM by Fenn. Edited 1 time in total.)
@Baelfire May have gotten a little carried away ... :D

… lavenders blue, dilly, dilly
lavender's green
when I am king, dilly, dilly
you shall be queen
who told you so, dilly, dilly
who told you so?
'twas mine own heart, dilly, dilly
that told me so ...

On through the plains the small woman trekked, humming a tune close to her heart. Recalling sweet memories was something Fennec adored. It was often songs of her childhood that brought these forth. Most came from her mother ... a kindly soul with every ounce of love for those she'd spent the most of her time with. As Fenn grew up, it was her mother's teachings that kept her strong and willing for more; not of ambition — only to do more for those who could not do for themselves. In some point in time, all wolves find each other enemies. But in the end, they were all the same and sometimes needed to admit when they needed help from another, as all would.

While Fennec didn't know much of what she sought in this span wilds, she knew there was a calling for her somewhere.. a purpose; a home, where she could do good and make proud the hero she once lost. Yes, there would be trivial times and obstacles to prevent her path; but she would not stray or falter.. only continue on and find herself. Somewhere.

A light trickle of water eventually caught her ear, the soft rumble of her vocal chords slowly ceasing. When she lifted her gaze to the distance, a large pool was soon in view. Oh, what perfect timing! She'd barely begun to think of how dry her mouth had become all this while! A nice, cool drink was just what she needed. Eagerly traipsing forward, Fenn lifted her forelegs in the air before playfully stomping over the shallow waters. A small giggle escaped her. It was a pleasant feeling to know the joys of her youth again, even if it made her appear childish. 

When her fun was over, she finally made use of the watering hole as she'd intended. Leaning over, with minimal effort, a small tongue swiped over the substance. It wasn't the most refreshing taste, but what more could she expect? Snow had fallen recently, and the pool had plenty of the plain's earthy particles swung within. Nothing she could do about a little dirt. Besides, it was far better than drinking mud. Something she did not want to experience again ...

the staff team luvs u
·       `` CAN I BE YOUR DAYDREAM? ``       ·
Ecologist
11-25-2022, 06:44 PM
He, too, had begun a trek to the Watering Hole. This region was less populated by packs, so Baelfire assumed it was a good place with plenty of locations to pick from. The more he thought about it, the heavier joining another pack was at the thought. They all had their own regulations and rules. They all had culture, biases, and alliances to weigh him down. After Dragonford and Northfall, he sought a fresh start. He did not wish to be ruled by who he could help or not. He did not want war or conflict. A place of healing and learning was more his speed, as they said.

Acquiring his old skills as a healer after falling into this world, Baelfire walked and sniffed along the ground. A worn path made its way toward the water, but he was seeking herbs. Anything to add to a potential cache, he felt was required. Sadly, apart from the Floral Meadows, many had been trod on or killed by frost. He'd have to do more than one little search. Looking up, he locked eyes on a pale form briefly. From her expression, the water wasn't as lovely as it could be. He bent his neck, sniffing to determine a problem. Water supplies could be tainted, but he found no trace.

It could be her expectation of the water. True, the edges were muddy and filtering through the clean pool... He wrinkled his nose somewhat and prepared to taste for himself. Mucky, but not a brown surface. Just dirty. The rivers snaking through the Plains down to Temperate would eventually filter the liquid. But still. "It tastes bad" he murmured to himself, licking his jaws quickly.

the staff team luvs u
[Image: 59631057_gcZT0fbEQJ1yZ2Q.png]
IF YOU CAN'T FIX WHAT'S BROKEN
WHAT ARE YOU THEN?
Adventurer
11-29-2022, 04:28 AM (This post was last modified: 01-06-2023, 04:09 AM by Fenn. Edited 3 times in total.)
Someone approached. Fennec had not known. She had been too absorbed in her thoughts.. and more importantly, the vile taste upon her tongue. It was meant to quench her thirst, not wrench her stomach.

When the voice rose above the silence, the woman's soft colored crown jolted upward. In almost a frantic manner, deep hazel eyes searched for the creature it belonged to. But soon they stopped, falling upon a man that stood a few mere feet from her. All at once she was confused, cautious, and also intrigued. Naturally, she would heed the first two foremost. Steadily, Fenn paced a few steps backward, eyes still locked upon the dark furred wolf.

"It tastes bad." 

The words hummed through her ear like a buzzing bee. Had he come to drink, as she had? Or was he simply mocking her? To which, she couldn't tell. One thing was for certain, though — they shared a like mind of the unpleasant substance.

“That it does, yes.” She chirped, ducking her chin slightly. Her tone was quiet, but not so much soft, as there was a hoarseness present, masking the fear that had rained upon her moments ago.

the staff team luvs u
Ecologist
12-01-2022, 07:27 PM
He noticed her hoarse voice and glanced down at the mucky water again. He then looked to the south. "I'm going to try the stream," Baelfire added "I shall hope the stones from it wash away the grime and leave it clearer than this pool." He shifted his weight from standing over the Watering Hole and began to make the trek south. From the location, there was a thick stream snaking its way through the Plains. It went in two different directions.

"If you wish, you can join me" Baelfire added as he moved past the pale woman "forgive me for saying so, but you sound parched" He had been lucky to find other water sources in his travels, but she did not seem to have the same luck. He didn't mind sharing, as it was a universal resource. However, he realized that she could be reluctant to walk with him. He was but a strange male to her. "my name is Baelfire, by the way" he rumbles, dipping his head to her as he fully passes.

He wouldn't be offended if she declined, but dehydration was worrying all the same. The Plains were open and sparse too, so it wasn't like he was leading her to her doom in a secluded area.

the staff team luvs u
WHAT ARE YOU THEN?
Adventurer
12-02-2022, 07:11 PM (This post was last modified: 01-06-2023, 04:09 AM by Fenn. Edited 2 times in total.)
This man had a plan, to which he voiced to her. There was a stream upwind, so he told. For a moment, Fennec felt foolish. If she had known such a thing, she wouldn't have even wasted her time, nor her displeasure to drink from this water.

It hadn't been expected for him to invite her along, but he did. Anyone could have been suspicious, but she was not quick to think of others in this way unless given a reason. Thus far, he did not seem like a wolf with ill intentions. Frankly, he only seemed to care for her health in some way. They both knew her thirst was strong, and she would be even more foolish to dismiss the help.

Slowly, she nodded, then followed in slow steps after the man.

"By name is Baelfire, by the way."

Fenn hadn't even considered the fact of a name exchange. But he enacted one anyway. She would be rude not to reciprocate. “Nice to meet you, Baelfire. I'm Fennec.”

the staff team luvs u
Ecologist
12-02-2022, 08:20 PM
"Likewise." She did not seem scared or suspicious of him, which was good. He was not trying to be anyway. Baelfire leads her directly south, veering off to the west where the stream branched off from the Watering Hole. He had been around this location before, sparsely, but his memory was excellent. It had to be, for the storage of his herbal catalog. That was not bragging but the truth.

"Here we are, Fennec" he stopped before the stream, the narrow opening widening as it went on. It wasn't hard to see the branch-off from their location either "ah, the water is indeed cleaner here." Yes, it was. The stream stones cleaned the cascading water, filtering it in a natural way. Nature truly was marvelous at times. He would stand watch and let her drink to her heart's content. They could continue a conversation after.

Baelfire sat down, his tail behind him akin to a banner. His good eye roamed the Plains, casually remarking on the landscape. All good places, save the claimed pack land to the further south. He thought it was a good starting point, for all involved.

the staff team luvs u
WHAT ARE YOU THEN?
Adventurer
12-06-2022, 01:42 AM (This post was last modified: 01-06-2023, 04:10 AM by Fenn. Edited 1 time in total.)
He led them forward. She followed at a respectful distance, face warm with gratitude. None had showed her such kindness. At least, none thus far.

It did not take long for them to reach the stream he had mentioned. Almost immediately she could tell the difference in cleanliness. The other had been full of muck, while this one seemed clearer and fresh. The sight made her mouth water, drying it out once again by the mouthful of saliva alone.

The man stood near, waiting for her to drink her fill. Flattening her ears slowly, Fennec passed him a small smile before tiptoeing to the water's edge. For a moment, she observed the flow, being sure there were no creatures that she would disturb. Marine beings were full of life, just as they. So she would respect them as such.

With some conscious for poise, the woman would not drink in a sloppy manner. Her eagerness surely proved her prolonged thirst, but she did not slurp loudly for a fear of appearing too rude. 

the staff team luvs u
Ecologist
12-06-2022, 03:09 AM
"Better?"

He would only speak once she was finished drinking. Baelfire had averted his eyes once she had begun, finding it quite rude indeed to stare openly at someone who was filling their belly or satisfying their thirst. Fennec had been grateful for his assistance, and he hoped she would remember the stream trivia when she was near another unsightly body of water.

Dirt and grime aside, parasites lived within the filth. It was all too easy to get a stomach ache from unhygienic situations. And without proper relief, one could succumb to terrible pain. Too terrible to move, and then slowly... the energy leaves you. Lack of appetite. Too thirsty to move. Head poundings, and fever. He knew what it looked like to lack water or drink tainted water.

He had been in situations during a siege. It was not welcomed, or even desirable. "Do you live in the Plains?" he would ask Fennec, bringing a natural and rational way back to the conversation.

the staff team luvs u
WHAT ARE YOU THEN?
Adventurer
12-11-2022, 02:42 AM (This post was last modified: 01-06-2023, 04:10 AM by Fenn. Edited 1 time in total.)
"Better?" He asked as Fennec slowly lifted her muzzle from the water.

She had been very much so appreciative of the fact that the man did not hover while she drank. She was able to do so in peace, and without fear of being sprung upon by some other stranger. It was a nice feeling, really. But, of course, it meant little. He was a simple stranger who had done her a good deed.

“Much.” Fenn replied softly, tongue running across her lips to be rid of any loose drops. “Thank you,” Then she added, dipping her head curtly.

Swiftly, then, he dove into a subject of conversation. Again, she was grateful. The air would not be prolonged with silence; thus, there was no awkwardness. “I live nowhere,” She answered simply. It was an answer most loners would provide, as most often roamed in search of one thing or another. As for Fennec, she sought only adventure and knowledge. “The whole of all territories are my home, I suppose.” Minus those that were taken claim by various packs and coalitions. 

“What about you?” It would be rude to not reciprocate the curiosity. Wouldn't it?

the staff team luvs u
12-27-2022, 01:47 AM
"I should hope not claimed territories." He inclined his head, idly sniffing for any pack scent around them. It had been a jest, a slight teasing remark. However, it retained the truth. He did not like trespassers. What was claimed was claimed, and nobody could do anything about it. Such things, like ownership, should remain sacred. At least, that is what he believed.

"I recently left a pack in the mountains, near the coast" He replied "our alpha passed, and I found no reason to stay with the, ah... remains. Perhaps I should have stuck around to help them rebuild" Bae frowned once more, discussing it "but there could be a chance I would not like their new rules. Better to be safe than sorry." Logically, he owed Dragonford nothing.

Logically, he didn't have any reason to stay. Even before Vendrussel's death, what had he stuck around for? Nothing. "I have aspirations to lead a community of my own now but that will come" Again "in time." It was hard to find followers.

the staff team luvs u
WHAT ARE YOU THEN?
Adventurer
01-05-2023, 11:40 PM (This post was last modified: 01-06-2023, 04:12 AM by Fenn. Edited 1 time in total.)
“Oh...” A faint word. Quickly, Fennec's ears flattened against her skull, cheeks then flushing faintly upon realizing her mistaken choice of words. “Yes, of course... not areas that are claimed.” Per his jesting tone, it could be assumed he knew this already. But still, she usually knew better than to speak so carefree and without forethought. 

He spoke now of changes, those within his life. “I am sure those who stayed behind would understand your reasoning. Personally, I may have done the same as you. Leadership changes don't always come with delight for the rest.”

Now, with a free life, he wished to do good with it—to create a home of his own.

“What do you wish for this community? What hopes do you have? Aspirations, goals?” A plethora of questions. But she couldn't help it. Curiosity had gotten the better of her.

the staff team luvs u
Formation
01-06-2023, 12:12 AM
for formation recruitment of fennec /note to self

She seemed a level-headed individual. Curious but curious was good. She had questions about his off-handed comment about a pack. Bae glanced back at her, assessing Fennec but finding no fault in her. "I wish for many things," He admitted "total neutrality, distancing the pack from others. Not forcing alliances on my allies, allowing them to grasp their own opinions about another pack or individual."

He bit back a sigh, knowing it was probably harder when another came knocking for alliances.

But he continued on, as she was curious. "I want a peaceful place to settle, and I wish for a safe place for others to come and hone their respective skills. I wish to teach as well as observe. While I hope for a less physically inclined pack, we do require guards. It would just not be a focus, I think" Bae shrugged "I am growing older, Fennec. I know this. I merely want... a legacy. I want roots here. I wish for friends, not politics. I want others to grow and feel safe."

He frowned softly. "I wish to create a haven of peace and learning."

the staff team luvs u
WHAT ARE YOU THEN?
Adventurer
01-06-2023, 02:59 AM (This post was last modified: 01-06-2023, 04:12 AM by Fenn. Edited 1 time in total.)
There were many things he desired, but they were simple things. Perhaps not easily obtained, but still obtainable.

“These are sensible things to want.” How could she not agree? It was the truth.

Then came an inclined thought. She wondered to herself. Did she really want to move on from this place and continue to roam the wild without a thought for her future? Or was this a sign that her time to settle had come? Maybe his next words would be the answer she thought.

Drawing closer to his side, so they were side by side in pace, Fennec glanced up towards him. “What use do you think you could make of me, if I asked to join this aspiring community of yours?”

She knew what talents she held, but she first wondered what he thought of her for how he now saw her, not for what she painted herself to be in an unseen image.

the staff team luvs u
Formation
01-06-2023, 03:09 AM
She drew closer, looking up at him in an expectant way. Bae still would have to get used to that, if he was to make and lead a pack. It still made him squeamish though. "I would accept you," He replied easily "But not due for your use. Not for a body to add to the numbers" He made that clear, a lingering sentence before he added into it "I do not want to use anyone." His own lingering annoyance with people using other people swelled in his chest. How he had been used. Then cast aside like garbage.

No.
He was not going to use anyone.

"It would be up to you, fully, what you give and take from the community" He rumbled "You could learn, teach... Contribute to caches... Socialize and organize. All that limits you is yourself. I believe in everyone's potential." He believed in her potential. Though that was sort of awkward to tell someone you just met, was it not? Bae did not want to influence her in any way, so he directed his comments to be neutral and kind over... flattery. Some recruiters did that. He disliked it.

"So, what would you like to do?"

the staff team luvs u
WHAT ARE YOU THEN?
Adventurer
01-06-2023, 03:25 AM (This post was last modified: 01-06-2023, 04:12 AM by Fenn. Edited 2 times in total.)
Oh! What a delight he continued to prove himself to be! The way he spoke of his intentions with those he surrounded himself with was beyond inspiring. It made her want to join along for the ride even more.

“I rather like the way you think of these things,” She admitted, giving away a gentle, sincere smile.

As for what she liked to do? Perhaps here, with him, her views may change. But for the time being, she could offer him what she knew best.

“I enjoy the hunt, more than anything. The keen strategizing... the joy of working alongside others... that aching feeling of excitement as the hunt is underway.” She was passionate, and it showed. “But my time may also be absorbed doing other things. Counseling others who made need it, teaching the young or unknowledgeable, scouting for resources or the like...” Many options were given to him. But as he had made it clear, the decision of how she spent her talents was her own.

“I'm open to learning other varieties of things as well, may it be needed to better support the group as a whole.”

A jack of many trades, and willing to add more to the list if need be.

the staff team luvs u
Formation
01-06-2023, 03:39 AM
"Perhaps I have had too much time to dwell on what others do wrong," He rumbled honestly. The compliment was not lost on him, but he didn't want to acknowledge his own worth. Not yet. Baelfire still suffered from doubt of self, and worthiness long term "but thank you." He added. It was quite rude to say nothing when someone is trying to make you feel confident.

So she was a hunter, a scout type. But also dabbled in health. Where to place her... In the end, it mattered not. Not right now, anyway. He would have time to place others in a ranking system. Let them display their skills to him first, so he could softly snoop and place them where they shone best. He nodded, absorbed with thinking of occupations now. "There would be freedom to shift and change, should you wish to focus on one over many" He said honestly.

But for now? "I think you would suit a Hunter role, for now, Fennec" He looked at her, hoping the decision would be suitable. She had said her skills lay in such things, and she would have the choice later to fully invest in another spot "Welcome to Asclepius. I thank you for your support."

the staff team luvs u
WHAT ARE YOU THEN?
Adventurer
Counsellor
01-06-2023, 04:05 AM (This post was last modified: 01-06-2023, 04:15 AM by Fenn. Edited 3 times in total.)
“Sometimes, by instinct, we may focus too much on flaws of others because we expect so much of ourselves. In them, we see a reflection of us.” It may be true for some, and different for others. But Fennec understood his meaning, for she too had made this mistake.

From her list, he suggested a focus for her. Slowly, her tail began to wag with acceptance. Now, skipping a bit ahead of him in a light-weighted dancing motion, she swung her head back towards him. “Then that is what I shall be, for the time being!” Maybe she was being a little too enthusiastic. But did she care? Nope.

He thanked her. And of course, being the sheepish little shit she was, her ears fell quickly and her cheeks grew with warmth. “I'm glad I can be of help,” All of what she could muster in return.

the staff team luvs u
scroll to top