Welcome to Canis Major

a wolf and animal rpg (role-playing game)

Canis is a writing community for play-by-post (forum-based), freeform roleplay set in a fictional dream world in the intrusion fantasy genre. Most characters on Canis are wolves; many play elements are focused around wolves and canids, but the world makes room for a large variety of other animal characters such as dogs, horses, cats, bears, deer, and many, many more.

Our community is focused on flexibility, creativity, and collaboration. That boils down to a few important features:

• There is no set activity requirement to write
  • The setting and plot are member-created and staff-supported
  • The game is continuously improved to increase fun and decrease stress

Learn more in our Rulebook!

It's just too hard

11-22-2022, 03:41 AM (This post was last modified: 11-22-2022, 03:42 AM by Adrastos. Edited 1 time in total.)
A bit short, but wanted to get this out sooner than later.

Enough time had passed since Adrastos had come to call Elkshire home. He had spent his days lending aid where he could; mainly by patrolling the borders. But, as it was in most packs, everyone had a specific role to play. It was time for him to discover his.

Traipsing deep into the elk's crown, the man searched for @Célnes near where the pack made their dens. Hopefully she was in the near vicinity — but if not, he would search elsewhere for the monarch.

the staff team luvs u
Ecologist
11-23-2022, 06:51 PM
Elkshire as usual lived so. The snow piles were short-lived and did not remain long, rendering to a continual cold season with barren trees and the slow absence of prey alike. Winter was getting closer, too close that she could imagine less then a month the entire forest would be covered within snow. The air itself changed in temperature, dropping by days going by but the earth still felt strangely warm ; a temperature not ready to match.

She breathed in, inhaling that thick, cold air. In the distance there was Andrastos, and she smiled, "fine day isn't it?"

the staff team luvs u
11-23-2022, 09:39 PM (This post was last modified: 11-23-2022, 09:40 PM by Adrastos. Edited 1 time in total.)
Soon, the woman he sought came to view. She approached with a smile, then with a subtle hint of commentary to break the lingering silence. 

“Yes, it is...” He replied, baritone voice drumming thick into the air. 

“I was looking for you, actually.” Adrastos then blurted, pausing as he realized his words came out awkwardly and forward. But he had reasoning, so perhaps that would be a decent distraction. “Since I arrived, I've been busying myself with occasional patrols and the like; but, I continue to feel as though there is more I should be doing. A greater role that I must play.” Maybe it was all in his head. Was everything he'd been doing enough? Célnes was really the only one able to answer such a query.

the staff team luvs u
11-28-2022, 09:53 PM
"Oh?" It was not unusual for some to seek out the Queen, the usual reports of worries of what was going on the crown.. But his was a bit different, almost as if he had an enlightment. She was patiently within place, smiling at him as he continued so. A desire, she thought — a greed for more, not an unfamiliar feeling but this was the first someone openly came forth wanting more then what she was offered. Was he asking for a place beside her, or an appropriate ranking to settle with?

"What is it you desire then? Or did you come to ask what you should do?"

the staff team luvs u
11-28-2022, 10:55 PM
She didn't seem too surprised that someone would come seeking her, which filtered away some of the embarrassment that had washed over him. His query didn't seem too much of a shock either.

“Can't say I desire much for anything in specific- just.. to know that I am doing the most that I can for Elkshire. You were gracious to give me a place here. And for that, you and Elkshire both are in my debt. It is only fair I put forth the right amount of effort... which, plainly put, is why I feel my purpose here can be greater fulfilled, rather than simply repeating the same patrol schedules each morn.” It was a tad harshly put, but it was honestly spoken. 

Patrols are an every day thing when it came to packs. Adrastos understood this well, and he was happy to pitch in. But it didn't seem to be enough. Maybe she could give him more.

the staff team luvs u
12-02-2022, 09:48 PM
He didn't have anything specific that was yearned, but more of a feeling there was more he could do. Amusing, so Celnes thought as she was smiling at him and racking thoughts and plans.. There wasn't much she could do that wasn't assigned already, her young ventured out with the hope to spread of Elkshire, and to recruit — seek out how @Hawking was doing. It seemed he was returning eventually, but was slowly getting disgruntled as days went by and he did not ; but her own did. She sat with a tail that wrapped around her, the tip lightly beating the ground.

She saw his point, and appreciated his effort, "Much of our focus is keeping our territories relatively safe.. Though an issue arises when others want to settle within the land. We had no idea when Labrynthian decided to, but it was better them then someone hostile," she hummed lightly, "perhaps you could be more on the defense of so. Watching the temperate, who comes in and out — who is trying to claim." She truly did not wish to send him out beyond the lands and valued keeping the guard bound to Elkshire, but truth she was out of ideas to give him, "unless you have another idea?"

the staff team luvs u
12-02-2022, 10:41 PM
There was an idea that came, but she seemed almost hesitant to give it. Guardians here were few and the protection of Elkshire was of the highest importance. But her suggestion did make sense in a way. By sweeping the outer forest, he could keep a better watch on what all occurred and who all passed by and/or through. Reports could then be given and danger or upset could be avoided.

“That is something I can work with. Having a set of eyes on the outer territory will be more beneficial to Elkshire in the end. Whatever occurs around us, I can report to you. Nothing will come as a surprise.” Wording it this way made the most sense. Hopefully it made sense to her as well. If so, this is what he would set off to do.

the staff team luvs u
12-02-2022, 10:49 PM
"Though new alliances are welcomed.. We never know when a new neighbor is not friendly. Sometimes, better to prevent." It was the most bothersome part when wolves seemed to attempt their claims. Thankfully she has not many any in her few years around that even attempted to do so, but she knew of some who wanted to. She didn't want anyone to try and reclaim the Winterheart Forest, or even the Jawbone either.. Trouble, of being too close. There was peace from the simple alliances that came with those in temperate, but the day it breaks ; may hell rain.

"Very well. I leave it up to you, feel free to form a group if you must." She would not mind the continual Bearbucks wandering around Temperate as a sort of watch. Though she would see if her young would as well, but she thought it may look like more of a babysitting service then something more. The Queen wanted to honor his wishes, as a loyal, and holy member.

wrap?

the staff team luvs u
12-02-2022, 11:00 PM (This post was last modified: 12-02-2022, 11:00 PM by Adrastos.)
Last from me. After this, it is safe to assume that he departs shortly after this conversation and searches for a place to "make camp" on the outer rim of the territory.

“If there are any groups forming, or those that haven't gotten too close for comfort, you will be the first to know.” Thus far, during his patrols, no settlers had been noticed. But that didn't mean new ones hadn't made themselves at home in the neighboring lands.

The option of a traveling group was made, but Adrastos didn't see it as necessary. While he had nothing against teamwork, this work would be better done alone.

“The thought is tempting, but not the most liable. Those that remain able, should be here to protect those of Elkshire. Keeping a strong defense line won't be difficult to do alone. As long as I keep my wits about me and refrain from foolish mistakes, I will be just fine alone.” Even if she disagreed, which he doubted she would, his mind would not change. She had given him this new task, so he would complete it how he saw in the best interest of Elkshire as a whole.

the staff team luvs u
12-12-2022, 07:09 PM
He seemed resolute within the decision, like a spy of sorts on the edge. She would nod to him, "Very well. Report if you need assistance," as lending another soldier to the whim would help, or not. She thought to announce it fully, but for the meanwhile decided to keep under wraps as a more.. Secretive method, one that isn't truly open, nor' would they be hiding. There was many informants of the temperate, eyes and ears throughout all and she wondered whether either Nightwalkers or Labyrinthian planted a spy among their ranks.

She would rather keep the card closely, especially if they were encroaching on the territories. With so granted and a new-found purpose for the other, she would turn back to the forest.

the staff team luvs u
scroll to top