Welcome to Canis Major

a wolf and animal rpg (role-playing game)

Canis is a writing community for play-by-post (forum-based), freeform roleplay set in a fictional dream world in the intrusion fantasy genre. Most characters on Canis are wolves; many play elements are focused around wolves and canids, but the world makes room for a large variety of other animal characters such as dogs, horses, cats, bears, deer, and many, many more.

Our community is focused on flexibility, creativity, and collaboration. That boils down to a few important features:

• There is no set activity requirement to write
  • The setting and plot are member-created and staff-supported
  • The game is continuously improved to increase fun and decrease stress

Learn more in our Rulebook!

my feet can’t feel the ground anymore and

Discovery
03-28-2021, 10:39 PM
Early spring, Theodora thought, was her most favorite season. It was typically warm enough during daylight for her to be comfortable, but she could still look forward to mornings with air so chilled that her every breath visibly permeated and dissipated around her. She liked sitting beneath sunrise for a few moments before starting each day, just to enjoy this peculiar trick of nature.

After about ten inhales and exhales, Theo walked quietly toward Winterheart’s center to sniff out one of the meat caches. She was smallest among her peers (to the best of her knowledge) which meant, at least from what she remembered, that it was her responsibility to clean out any spoiled meat. Theodora didn’t mind; if it got her out of hunting, she was more than willing to do the dirty work.

She hummed a strangely familiar tune as she began digging at the earth, surprised that no one had crossed her path yet.
the staff team luvs u
Discovery
Adventurer
03-29-2021, 01:31 AM (This post was last modified: 10-19-2021, 12:08 AM by Aso. Edited 1 time in total.)
It felt like an eternity since the pale girl had seen grass, let alone a whole forest. Weeks were spent wandering the wasteland to the east and it was clear that she had lost some weight from her travels. All the water in the world failed to quench her thirst, even now that the weather seemed to be more comfortable, and her pads were cracked and sore from the previously dry air. The forest wasn't her destination, though in the distance she could see mountains.

It was clear this wasn't her home, but she could only hope that her mother or brother was somewhere nearby, undoubtedly searching just as she had been. Lavender eyes glanced up to the treetops as she wandered further into the forest. They were so tall, yet despite the height, the branches failed to blot out the sky. Truthfully, it was a little intimidating, but she was thankful they didn't seem to suffocate her or the sky.

Shortly into the woods, a light humming could be heard causing Hotaru to pause in her tracks. The tune was unfamiliar, but it brought a tightness to her chest much like when her mother used to sing to her as a pup. She would follow the sound until a likewise small pale girl came into view. She dug at the ground, seemingly distracted as she worked allowing her to push just a tiny bit closer before finally speaking up, What song is that you're humming?

the staff team luvs u
03-31-2021, 12:24 AM
Unfamiliar scents weren’t particularly alarming, given Theo’s general knowledge that their claim was relatively new. She’d prepared herself for new visitors, whether temporary to permanent, due to her assumption that this was a place where plenty more people would want to live if they knew about it.

So, she didn’t greet this girl with hostility or suspicion; rather, she grinned through down-turned eyes and softly yipped her greeting. There was some warning in her posture, warranted by her guard of a meat cache, but she remained otherwise friendly.

Thinking about how she might respond, Theo laughed: “I don’t know.” How could she explain something that she herself didn’t understand? The song felt familiar, but there weren’t enough details around its foggy origin. “I suppose you don’t know it either, then.”
the staff team luvs u
Adventurer
03-31-2021, 01:46 AM (This post was last modified: 10-19-2021, 12:08 AM by Aso. Edited 1 time in total.)
Hotaru wasn't exactly blind to the scents, but there were so many that mixed that she simply assumed they were just other travelers opposed to a claim. She had never been too familiar with the concept of other claims anyways since she mostly stayed within her own. The other girl seemed cautious of the food at her feet, something she could understand with the hunger in her belly. If the roles had been reversed she too might not be willing to share, and it was not her place to ask. She could only be grateful that she seemed kind enough to seek her answers from.

To her question, the pale princess gave a simple shake of her head, Mn mm— It wasn't familiar just...reminded me of something She didn't particularly want to get into a giant sob story about her childhood, she just wanted to eat and sleep somewhere where her body didn't burn and find her family.

Have you seen a boy that looks like me? Or maybe a woman? I'm trying to find my family, but my brother is usually not far from my side. Usually being the keyword. Neither he nor she would wander off, yet here she was alone in the middle of who knows where. Hotaru could only hope that Haruki had followed in her wake.

the staff team luvs u
03-31-2021, 07:54 PM
Unfortunately, Theodora hadn’t seen anyone to match her description. There were wolves who were similar but to the best of her knowledge, the details didn’t align. She gave an honest, albeit solemn shake of her head.

Not expecting much of an answer, Theo thought to ask, “Are you missing someone?” She tilted her head with obvious curiosity and stepped away from the cache, giving a subtle invitation for the girl to sit with her. ”You aren’t alone, if you are. I think we’re all missing someone these days.”
the staff team luvs u
04-01-2021, 03:57 AM
The other only gave a shake of her head, an answer she knew was most likely coming but still caused her heart to sink anyway. She stepped away from her cache seemingly fine with conversing further, though Hotaru did not want to outstay her welcome so she settled for sitting from a distance.

Just my family really...To be honest I have few memories where my brother wasn't at my side. Maybe that's what made this all the scarier. For once in her life, she was truly utterly alone and away from any form of safety net.

the staff team luvs u
04-02-2021, 01:16 AM
Whatever family this girl came from, it didn’t belong to Theodora. She didn’t particularly care to hear more about what had happened to them or why they were now separated; most people had become lost at some point, it seemed. Still, she thought that feigning compassion might bring the lost girl some actual comfort.. which meant that it was worth trying.

Theo widened her doe-set eyes to hopefully encourage more answers as her questions continued. “Is your brother the only family you have?” she asked, “You asked about a woman, too.” It could have been her mother, she thought. Theodora looked away for a brief moment. “Would you like some help looking for them?” Surely, Winterheart would do fine without her for a few days.
the staff team luvs u
04-02-2021, 11:06 PM
A brief silence followed as Hotaru glanced to her paws. She hadn't exactly given the most cheerful introduction, though what else was there to say? The other hadn't seen her family, really she should just be on her way though it seemed her company wasn't quite through with her questions. Hotaru glanced up just in time for the girl to offer her help.

Her own eyes widened, a bit shocked that she would offer so freely to leave her home, or at least she assumed she lived here with the cache and all. Oh no, I couldn't ask of that— I don't even know where to start or if they're here at all... I fear I'd just waste your time. Hotaru sighed, straightening her posture as she tried to push down the anxiety that gnawed at her that she might truly be alone.

My brother and my mother, yes. We had a larger family, but... they were what? One a monster the other power-hungry? She shook her head, there was no need to get into that It's been the three of us for some time, and only for the better. Though if you're willing, might you keep an eye out? Haruki is my twin and my mother is called Reiko. If they came this way after her then at least they would know they were close.

the staff team luvs u
04-04-2021, 03:50 PM
She’d never been one to ask twice. Theodora took the girl’s response with a solemn nod and turned back to her cache, assuming their conversation was over. Soon thereafter, however, her companion began speaking again.

Theo tilted her head to ask, “And who are you?” If they’d made introductions already, then she would have apologized for the girl’s name had slipped her mind.
the staff team luvs u
Discovery
Adventurer
04-04-2021, 08:58 PM (This post was last modified: 10-19-2021, 12:09 AM by Aso. Edited 1 time in total.)
The other girl stood, seemingly moving back to her task as she spoke. It hadn't really even occurred to her that maybe she should give her own name in case her family came wandering. A small mishap that she mentally slapped her head for. Oh— my apologies. I am Princess Hotaru of Reneian Empire...though I'm not sure if titles are needed given the distance...

Was it too pretentious of her to mention it at all? That hadn't been the intention, but it was too late to take back now. I meant to ask you for yours as well, and this place— In case I might have needs to find my way back. Ideally she would continue forward and find her family, but you never know when you might have to go in circles.

the staff team luvs u
04-07-2021, 02:29 AM
“I don’t believe they are”, Theodora replied, “My name is Theodora. Remember that and I’ll remember yours.” She gave a half-smile, parting her lips just enough to show the reddened tips of her teeth.

To Hotaru’s next point, Theo nodded her head with a shrug of her shoulders. “This is Winterheart Forest. I’m sure you’d be welcome.” It wasn’t really her place to make such an assumption, but that hadn’t stopped her before.
the staff team luvs u
Adventurer
04-09-2021, 05:53 AM (This post was last modified: 10-19-2021, 12:09 AM by Aso. Edited 1 time in total.)
Theodora. She nodded, doing her best to commit the name to memory, I'll remember that. Her own smile met her lips, thankful to run into someone just a bit closer to those she was used to. They might have shared few words, but she had been nice and not at all creepy like some of the men she had crossed paths with.

I'll think about it, but I should really keep looking for my family. Maybe we will meet again? The pale girl now rose to her own feet, stretching each limb as she readied herself to travel once more. 

So...until next time, then?

She'd pause, just incase the other had anything else to add, though if she was met with a farewell Hotaru would turn to leave and continue her journey.

the staff team luvs u
04-10-2021, 05:14 AM
“It wasn’t an invitation”, Theodora clarified, “Only speculation.” Hotaru’s present mission was more important than any task she might have undertaken in the Forest. Theo thought that she might like to look for her own family one day.. assuming that such a thing existed and actually wished to be found.

Disregarding the slight brashness of her prior remark, she nodded her head and said, “I hope you’ll find your group in the meantime. It’s difficult being alone.” As Hotaru turned and began walking away, Theo turned her attention back to the prior task.
the staff team luvs u
scroll to top