Welcome to Canis Major

a wolf and animal rpg (role-playing game)

Canis is a writing community for play-by-post (forum-based), freeform roleplay set in a fictional dream world in the intrusion fantasy genre. Most characters on Canis are wolves; many play elements are focused around wolves and canids, but the world makes room for a large variety of other animal characters such as dogs, horses, cats, bears, deer, and many, many more.

Our community is focused on flexibility, creativity, and collaboration. That boils down to a few important features:

• There is no set activity requirement to write
  • The setting and plot are member-created and staff-supported
  • The game is continuously improved to increase fun and decrease stress

Learn more in our Rulebook!

P
more shock, less awe

Sunset Overcast
P
11-21-2022, 02:42 AM
The 'Trial' was over.

Tallulah, in the end, did not know what to think. She felt sick. She witnessed death right in front of her, instead of being sugarcoated. Excusing herself from the other Elysium folk, she went to a secluded location within Elsewhere and hacked up the contents of her stomach alone. Poor little Dimitri, having witnessed it too. The other pups too. She felt better after emptying her stomach but now wished for a drink to clear her mind and revitalize herself.

Approaching the lake, she stared down at her expression. It was grim, eyes hollow like she hadn't slept. Well, she hadn't slept very well for the days that she left Fate's Respite, leaving behind Nick and her home. Further sleepless nights since she visited Duskguard. How long had it been? A week or two? Tallulah was keen to go back to the pack she had come to care deeply about. Even though her Pa was there now, she refused to curl up at his feet and weep like a child.

She blinked once, then saw a silhouette behind her. Valeska. "Ah" she sucked in a breath, her lips wet from drinking perhaps too deeply. "am I needed back?" She spoke clearly, traces of her accent remaining despite the clarity. She hoped not. She wanted to sit here and think for a bit longer, but if duty called... She'd answer it. Tallulah turned to face her leader, and some of her spirit and spunk went. The result weighed clearly on her mind. She looked too tired for her age.

the staff team luvs u
[Image: 53568461_UCgDR8zToPO5WLQ.png]
FALLING TOO FAST TO PREPARE FOR THIS
TRIPPING IN THIS WORLD COULD BE DANGEROUS
Visionary
11-21-2022, 07:17 PM
Tallulah had slipped away without a word, her mottled brown form retreating back through the crowd in an effort to find somewhere private. Valeska did not immediately notice her departure, so busy was she trying to soothe Dimitri and ensure no further violence would result from the terrible event, before raising her head and finding that the woman had vanished. Thankfully Urszula stood nearby, stunned albeit stoic, and the silver wolf dragged her son over toward her stalwart friend and deposited him with a few hushed whispers of explanation - she needed to make sure Tallulah was alright as well.

Weaving her way past the throng, she followed the faint trail of pawprints left along the muddy shoreline when the acrid scent of bile struck her with force - Valeska wrinkled her nose, ears flattening as she grew more concerned, hurrying her footsteps as she made out a huddled silhouette next to the water.

“Oh, gods -” she started, quickly closing the gap between them. Tallulah looked worse for wear, her face drawn and haggard, muzzle soaked nearly all the way up with water from the lake. The vomit-smell came from somewhere nearby, and she quickly surmised that the woman was in the midst of cleaning up.

Ah - her voice held an uncharacteristic rasp, forcing itself out weakly through clenched teeth. - am I needed back?

Valeska shook her head vehemently, drawing closer to her friend, though not wishing to invade her space lest it be unwelcome. “No -I noticed you had gone, and wanted to make certain that you were alright. What happened was...” she felt her voice trail off, and her eyes drifted out across the lake. It reminded her a little of Fate's Respite, its surface calm and serene, offering a glass-like reflection of the darkening sky overhead. More than ever, she wished to be home; safe and away from the panicked crowds, and further still from the motionless corpse of Vendrussel.

“... Many are saying it was the wrath of the gods, but... I do not know.”

The silver wolf ventured only a little closer, stretching out an arm to touch at the sand between them in a gesture of comfort.

“She seemed ready. I wonder if the Five simply took her home, fearing more death should the Council have made the wrong decision. It is said that they foresee all things - but -” Valeska grew quiet again, not wanting to upset Tallulah further. “Would you like to talk?”

the staff team luvs u
[Image: m7jPOzS.png]
11-21-2022, 10:33 PM
Gods or not, she had never ever seen someone die before her eyes. Tallulah closed them, still seeing the silhouette of Vendrussel against her lids. Did the young woman know she was near death in that sense? Did she believe the gods would judge her, over the council of mortals? Did she even prefer them to? She shook her head as if a fly had been buzzing around it. Finally, she opened her eyes and stared at Valeska with an unreadable expression. Too shocked, too anguished... She flickered between emotions. The pale alpha offered to listen, to talk with. She sucked in a breath and blurted out her thoughts.

"T' whole thing was... revoltin' t' me" she breathed "I don't know about war. I hope I never do, but... T' trial wasn't black and white. Both sides had blamed and were t' blame" At least to her "m' used to black and white. Being right bout one thing, disagreein' with the other side. I still think Northfall was fault fer some of it" Alliances with Elysium aside, she had a right to her personal opinion "and I cannae understand why they'd make a public fuss over one soul, demandin' justice when a war could kill ten more on either side." She smiled weakly, more of a leer than a good-natured grin.

"Nobody... wanted t' talk bout peace. Not outwardly. Izzat not important t' them? What if more then one had died? Would it... just be a casualty of war? Would an'one remember them like Ynness?"

Would anyone even care?

Northfall asked disgusting things in return for Vendrussel's crime. If they truly were seeking peace, they would have asked to end the fighting. They just wanted their dues. They wanted to parade and cast blame. Ragnar's personality didn't sit well with her. "Ynness deserved better than her character bein' paraded about too" Tallulah said quietly, knowing she didn't at all know the girl. She had died before the rancher had slipped into this world "I wanna hope that Dragonford can find peace as much as Northfall can with Vendrussel's death." But would Northfall demand more in time, cheated out of the dragon woman's death themselves?

"Each side had blame" Tallulah licked her lips "it don't feel right letting one go without much fuss, and one side sufferin' fer it. I know we're allied with Northfall, Valeska, but I som'thing seems a bit off t' me bout them. Maybe I'm readin' too much into it." Pa always said; a man with all the answers is more snake than a man. And not to trust them at all, else they bite into you with their venom. Ragnar was like that to Tallulah; a snake in the grass. Waiting for an opportunity to shine, parading his own daughter's death around like a cause for violence. She licks at her wet lips again, shaking her head.

"Just me thoughts, though" she added, frowning as her neck drooped again "I ain't favoriting Vendrussel or Dragonford. She did help me, but it ain't like we met any time after that. She weren't me friend. I didn't even know she murdered som'one else. I feel sick bout that. That... what if I chose t' follow her instead? How much was she hidin' from her own pack? Or anyone? She had her flaws n' faults too. Bringin' her pack to a personal trial was... som'thing" She frowned deeper "I expected a fight. Never saw som'one die before me that was a wolf. I... I still smell the burnt flesh. I cannae get it out of me head." Her voice wavered as if she wanted to weep, but recalled it to a mere whine. A soft whimper.

She had killed other predators to protect herself, but... How was that different than a border dispute between two wolves? Tallulah had no bias toward other creatures, she saw them as equals to wolves. So, in a sense, she had killed others too. It was not so black and white, this world. She would not so gladly kill a predator or a threat to her friends, or her family. Tallulah would try not to, but if there was no other choice... She finished grimly, eyes downcast. Almost expecting sharp words from Valeska. Telling her to suck it up, to grow up, even flatly disagreeing with her. She expected to be reamed out about having doubts about Northfall and Ragnar too.

the staff team luvs u
Counsellor
11-21-2022, 11:52 PM (This post was last modified: 11-22-2022, 03:18 AM by Valeska. Edited 1 time in total.)
A torrent of words spilled out from Tallulah's still-dampened lips, her eyes wide and imploring as she surged forth with her own exposition. She shared many of Valeska's sentiments, although she had not been allowed the chance to voice them during what was meant to be the 'decision making' part of the trial, but they were reasonable and made sense to the priestess. Alliance with Northfall notwithstanding, it was justice that was meant to reign that day, a final outcome decided by the collected minds of the north's most prominent packs and characters simply to avoid an escalation into war.

Valeska agreed that Northfall was not innocent in the affair. They had antagonized Vendrussel and her own without prompting, making bold assumptions and never once stopping to clear the air and any remaining confusion before Ynness had to pay the ultimate price.

Their lack of communication and unwillingness to compromise, coupled with Vendrussel's refusal to cease engaging with Ynness and seek help in restraining the child had dealt a harsh hand.

She listened attentively to her friend as she spoke, nodding her head in tandem with the woman's thoughts and opinions during her speech.

T' trial wasn't black and white. Both sides had blamed and were t' blame...

That much was true - otherwise, if things had been so clear-cut, they wouldn't have had need for a Council to gather. The situation was complicated and required more than the perspective of those directly involved.

... And I cannae understand why they'd make a public fuss over one soul, demandin' justice when a war could kill ten more on either side. Her smile was weak, insincere; it was more to emphasize the ridiculousness of her point and how she just couldn't understand why no one else saw it that way. It was baffling.

Tallulah was deeply intelligent, despite her constant reassurances of being a 'simple-minded' sort of woman, but she harbored a soul full of unfathomable depths and a strong emotional intelligence. She was a problem-solver, practical in her approach and quick to seek a resolution, and that in itself was a gift. Such assets were shockingly few and far between, with most individuals being swift to anger and ready to react first and think later. The little rancher was rare - more than she knew.

Her expression looked pained as she spoke next. ... I know we're allied with Northfall, Valeska, but I som'thing seems a bit off t' me bout them. Maybe I'm readin' too much into it.

“What is 'off' about them,” Valeska began, her voice low so that only the two of them might hear. “Is that they are war-hungry. Ragnar and his kin hail from a long line of violent, bloodthirsty warrior, and it is the only way of life that they know.”

The High Priestess softened, giving her friend a warm flash of a smile. “Just because we are allies, it does not mean we must condone their actions. Just as you would a friend - would you allow someone you cared for to charge headlong into death's door, without at least trying to warn them or help them see to reason?” she said gently. In truth, their alliance was more held with goodwill and strained faith than anything. Yes, they had shared one mystic night beneath the stars, utilizing their own gods as much as Ragnar's to bless Valeska's womb with children born of two females - that had played a part. But they had never spoken much beyond that, and she worried that their alliance was more expected than it was truly rooted in singular intent.

“We are allies, yes, but we are not required to lose all of our faculties and turn a blind eye before they make a terrible, irreversible decision. Their actions impact us, and it is partly our responsibility as friends and an allied pack to help prevent consequences that can be avoided.”

Tallulah's head drooped, staring down at the muddy earth, the gentle lapping of water being the only sound to break their momentary silence. Valeska knew how hard this was for her, and she regretted throwing her into the mix without even asking to see if it had been welcome - she only brought the woman along because she was so trustworthy and good - but had she broken her in the process?

“You are allowed to feel these things. Vendrussel helped me, too - she helped save my life,” she said after a few moments, gazing gently into Tallulah's warm, well-meaning eyes. “I am sad of her passing. I think that she was good at heart - but we all make mistakes. Some appear simply too great for the gods to ignore, perhaps; though I still wonder if that was true judgment, or a mercy-killing.”

The sea-wolf had been remorseful - so repentant, eager to make amends and the ultimate sacrifice. The Five that she knew were capable of forgiveness in any magnitude, so long as the soul who came before them was honest and true in their desire for change.

“I have seen much death in my life. My own pack starved, one by one, because of my father's refusal to leave our mountain. We had no prey left to hunt - but death, there, was not loud. It was slow and quiet, until one day the light simply went out of their eyes,” she whispered, remembering their sunken faces as they were gradually submerged within the blizzard's cruel grasp. “I have never seen anything like what happened at the trial. Never.”

She thought of Dimitri, and the haunted look that had remained etched into his features.

Tallulah looked nearly the same.

“My friend...” she swallowed down the lump in her throat. “I am sorry.”

the staff team luvs u
11-22-2022, 10:41 PM
Valeska lowered her voice when she spoke. It wasn't like she was hard of hearing, so all she had to do was crane her neck down, but Tallulah was deeply aware anyone could be listening to their conversation. Aware of that or not, she kept her own voice low now, averting her eyes from her friend's face and looking around briefly. To hear Valeska soothe the worries she had about Northfall, almost directly agreeing with it... It put her mind at ease that she wasn't the only one. The pale leader voiced if the gods meant it as a mercy kill or not, and Tallulah found herself agreeing that the bolt was perhaps more for Vendrussel than Ragnar. Tallulah's brow furrowed as she processed the words, finding herself agreeing. But before she could...

My friend... I am sorry.

No.

"Don't apologize" Tallulah found her voice after listening to her leader. She shook her head, looking directly into the other's eyes "it ain't yer fault, Valeska" Because it wasn't "I chose t' come. Gods or not, what happened... happened" She refused to become bitter and jaded over it, seeing death like that "it ain't nobody's fault fer that. I just... I hope Vendrussel finds peace now. She seemed t' be carryin' Yness wit' her fer a long time. I wanna believe both o' them, wherever they are, can take comfort in it bein' over fer them." She did not fake a smile though. She did not curl her lips out of humor or reassurance to Valeska, because the situation did not call for it. Both women felt the weight of the Trial, and attempting humor would be as if kicking the memory of it. Fresh and still in the mind. If it was not, however, over... If Dragonford or Northfall tried to attack each other again. If they caused more strife... Tallulah would not be surprised.

But she wanted to hope for peace.

"Things happen," she proceeded to try again "beyond our control. I gotta remember that. Don't worry, I'll just process it... a bit slowly, is all" Mercy-killings, a trial of murder resulting in a piss poor result, deaths of yearlings, and border skirmishes went bad... All were beyond Tallulah's control, even if she could have been involved or was. Her being there did not stop Vendrussel's death. She wasn't here a year ago to consider joining Dragonford and stopping Ynness' death. She could not stop nature from striking the dragon woman down. Furrowing and huffing did nobody any good. She only hoped... "is Dimitri okay?" She asked after a hesitant silence, meeting Valeska's eyes in worry. The creature present, the woman who had been engulfed in Vendrussel's death... Was she a threat to the boy still?

Urszula would be there still, surely, to watch for him but could one wolf take on that huge feline alone? Then again, Duskguard had Olive and Kuhn. There was even a polar bear. No one would surely allow the boy to be killed in their presence.

the staff team luvs u
Visionary
12-06-2022, 05:26 PM
All of that effort - all of that planning - all of the nerves, the tension, the stress - every ounce of responsibility had been lifted from their weary shoulders with the single strike of a lightning bolt. Valeska did wonder if divine intervention had occurred to save the collected wolves from a worse fate. No one could say for certain how Northfall might have reacted to a less-than-savory verdict in their favor, but it still seemed... unfair.

Unfair that Vendrussel had not even been given the option of life. In the snap of an instant, all illusion of choice and democracy had been snatched away from them - dealt instead with the swift hand of the gods.

Valeska still felt a vague discomfort over the situation.

“I was glad for your company,” she said gently, wishing she possessed the right words to comfort her friend. “But I am regretful of the outcome - of what we all had to see.”

Tallulah was habitually a grounding force among their ranks, and witnessing her so shaken up was difficult for the Priestess to stomach. Such an event would rattle anyone to their core - yes, even the ranch-girl, normally so level-headed and practical.

They were all mortal - even here, even reborn.

“Yes. I hate the helpless feeling myself. The tragedy has left uncertainty in its wake, something that a full trial might have seen to a conclusion - but now, who knows what unresolved tensions may fester,” Valeska conceded, flickering her gaze briefly toward the west where Northfall lay. Tallulah ventured a question, then, inquiring after the silver pup they had allowed to come along for educational purposes.

Valeska did not regret bringing him. The boy had wanted it more than anything, begging for days, almost weeks, but she regretted the trauma that had been seared into his eyes by the blinding light of holy justice.

“Oh, Dimitri. I, too, worry for my son; he has taken it hard, though he puts on a front of strong conviction,” she said after a moment. “He had always been interested in the Five, but now he is taking it... I should not say to an extreme, as faith is not a bad thing to have by any means, but he has expressed much stronger belief and eagerness than I anticipated.”

The little wolf sighed.

“Houtu works in mysterious ways, but I must still teach him to harness his faith in ways that will not be harmful to himself.”

the staff team luvs u
12-08-2022, 03:23 AM
Valeska was doing her best to cheer and comfort Tallulah. The piebald woman recognized it and moved on from her personal feelings to focus on what they could both bond over. Little Dimitri. The boy's actions at the Trial had been acceptable until a point, when Vendrussel was struck down he began to show signs of fanatic behavior. It was not appropriate in the wake of a death, to say the gods had spoken and killed someone for their 'crimes'. Crimes, she thought, that was not reacted a verdict on.

"Thank ya, fer talkin' with me though." But. She wished...

It was not her place to say anything to Valeska about it anyway; Dimitri was not her son. She had no hand nor voice in how he was raised but realized he may need to learn some tact. "I wish I had been faster," She expressed to her friend "I was right near him" Her head bowed somewhat, knowing the pale alpha didn't think Tallulah was responsible for it but feeling responsible all the same "if he wants t' talk bout it later, let him know... I can talk wit' him if he wants?" Someone who was going through the same thing...

It seemed appropriate to share feelings and 'grieve' in their own ways.

Valeska would no doubt stick closer to her son during the days to come, so Tallulah relayed the message to her. Shaking herself free of doubt, fear and anxiety, she tried to gain her control back. Sorry felt silly to say to the other woman. Tallulah was always apologizing about something, even when the situation did not call for it. Moving to bump her shoulder against Valeska's, she attempted to smile. "Come on, we should git back 'fore they come lookin' fer us." The smile was uneasy and strained, but genuine enough.

No doubt Urszula would wonder where they had gone and come looking, Dimitri in tow. What was Tallulah supposed to do then? Feel as pathetic and helpless as she looked? No. She had to make a brave face. She was one of two guards. If a guard wasn't going to look brave and sure of herself, the whole caravan fell apart. "Ye can tell me of The Five on t' way back to the Respite, aye?" She added over her shoulder.

the staff team luvs u
Counsellor
12-13-2022, 07:47 PM
Valeska gave her a pained smile, understanding the brevity of Tallulah's words. Her son was excitable at the best of times, but a traumatic event coupled with his obsessive tendencies might prove to be a ticking time bomb before he did something truly foolish. Dimitri needed guidance - and she was not at all opposed to other, more experienced wolves in the pack offering it.

“It is nothing - feelings are meant to be talked about,” she replied affectionately, trying to lighten the mood. “Otherwise, how else would we sort them? Why, the gods know even I do not understand myself unless I speak through it first.”

The silver wolf was grateful, at least, for Tallulah's offer - she was a level-headed woman and would likely know best how to talk sense into the boy. He already had a glassy-eyed look about him, and Valeska worried greatly of the lasting implications this might have on his personality.

(She had no idea.)

“Thank you,” she returned, “I will let him know. It might also do him some good to begin attending hunts; Dimitri is soon to be six months, and it might help ground his mind in the... tangible.”

The woman moved to bump shoulders good-naturedly, and Valeska felt some of the tension ease out from her tired muscles. She hadn't realized how stiff she had been since the incident - as if every nerve of her body had been humming with the same electricity that charged the air, but finally, with contact, released.

She breathed a quiet sigh.

“Yes, good idea,” she called after her, moving to catch up. “We must collect Dimitri and Urszula so that we may journey back.”

At the mention of the Five, however, the High Priestess perked up visibly -

- and happily yammered away.

{Exit Valeska}

the staff team luvs u
scroll to top