Welcome to Canis Major

a wolf and animal rpg (role-playing game)

Canis is a writing community for play-by-post (forum-based), freeform roleplay set in a fictional dream world in the intrusion fantasy genre. Most characters on Canis are wolves; many play elements are focused around wolves and canids, but the world makes room for a large variety of other animal characters such as dogs, horses, cats, bears, deer, and many, many more.

Our community is focused on flexibility, creativity, and collaboration. That boils down to a few important features:

• There is no set activity requirement to write
  • The setting and plot are member-created and staff-supported
  • The game is continuously improved to increase fun and decrease stress

Learn more in our Rulebook!

P
the likes of curious company

Evening Drizzle/Rain
P
Content Warning
11-15-2022, 07:10 PM (This post was last modified: 11-15-2022, 07:13 PM by M’Jakuna. Edited 1 time in total.)
Content Warning
This post contains content that may be unsettling to some readers, including:
  • Mild Gore
Set a little later in the day following this thread.

"You talk in your sleep," said M'Jakuna, having long since cleaned the bird's bones of flesh (save for the few pieces which fell aside and he watched a myriad of bugs tend to instead), he now laid lazily on his side, watching a light drizzle hit the lake before them. A few of bones, small and shattered, laid before him where he gnawed on them but abandoned them—never a fan of gluttony nor waste, he'd simply return in due time. Maybe after this. He glanced toward the male for a moment before letting his eyes return to the lake. "Was it restful at least?"

the staff team luvs u
11-15-2022, 11:02 PM
He awoke abruptly.

“What?”

the staff team luvs u
11-16-2022, 12:35 AM
”You talk in your sleep,” he said, flicking his tail and adjusting his body to better watch both the lake and the bones. ”You’re the first I’ve seen do that… Did you still sleep well?” After a beat, he chuckled. ”Hopefully it wasn’t so beyond brilliant… since I’ve woken you and all.”

the staff team luvs u
11-16-2022, 01:36 AM
He huffed.

Yawned.

Smacked.

Curled and coiled into himself, he stretched.

“No I don’t.”

the staff team luvs u
11-16-2022, 02:06 AM
M'Jakuna nodded, hummed. "That's a shame," he said, flicking an ear. "We can blame the rain. Hard to sleep wet."

"Hungry?" he motioned toward the lake. "Plenty of fish if you favor catching one, they're just troublesome to me but... Well, I'm not the most agile, or quick."

the staff team luvs u
11-16-2022, 02:20 AM (This post was last modified: 11-16-2022, 02:29 AM by Daighre. Edited 1 time in total.)
He huffed.

Rolled onto his stomach.

His head rested between his front paws.

“Not hungry.” He grunted. And then, “Catch me one.”

He stared.

the staff team luvs u
11-16-2022, 02:49 AM
M'Jakuna yawned something that broke mid-way when the male spoke, he shut his jaws and blinked at him. Catch him one? He hadn't offered but he supposed he'd give it a go, the male looked like he'd benefit, after all.

"Want to watch me flounder, do you?" he said, slowly rising to his forepaws in a still lazy sit.

the staff team luvs u
11-16-2022, 02:52 AM
He huffed.

”No.”

He rose to follow him. His fur dark and damp. He shook. Stretched.

the staff team luvs u
11-16-2022, 03:14 AM
He huffed amusement, finally hitting all fours and moving toward the lake, tail swaying behind him. Looking back only once to see the male in tow.

"I can't promise I'll get anything," he forewarned, reaching the sodden edge of the lake with carefully squinted eyes focused on the flow of the water that went disturbed by the rain. M'Jakuna fell quiet then, narrowing his eyes to slits. He'd seen his brother hunt fish once... or twice, it was about patience, eyeing shadows and ripples—well, maybe shadows today.

the staff team luvs u
11-16-2022, 03:40 AM
He yawned.

Stretched.

Shook.

Muscle tensing and untensing.

The sky overhead grey. The lake puddling and piddling. A million tiny raindrops, all hitting and landing at once.

It was cold, and wet.

the staff team luvs u
11-16-2022, 04:10 AM
How long had passed since watching the waters began, M'Jakuna wouldn't know, entirely keen on the task at hand.

Rain pelted him. The lake. He heard the male behind him, somewhere.

Below, a shadow flickered fast, returned, and jetted off again.

Repeated. A bizarre pattern of movement M'Jakuna caught onto.

Another repetition.

He leapt awkwardly, hind paws cutting into the earth as he snapped out to grab ahold of the figure, teeth cutting wet flesh, water up to his eyeballs and sprinkling out.

In a flurry of movement that would look more dramatic than it was, M'Jakuna reared back, shaking not to kill but to sink his teeth further in for a firm grip as he turned and tossed it between them both rather clumsily. To his relief, he must've punctured something to snuff it quickly, it didn't flop, barely twitched what he saw most do in their final seconds.

"All yours," he said, feeling a little bolstered. Of course, M'Jakuna couldn't see how stupidly the water slicked his fur around his cheeks like a freshly groomed pup. Noble.

the staff team luvs u
11-16-2022, 05:26 AM
The unending shade of grey of the sky overhead, and the sudden abrupt movement and flurry and flutter of movement.

A fish between his jaws.

His fur dripping and wet.

His ears rolled back.

“Whatever.”

He took it.

the staff team luvs u
11-16-2022, 06:06 AM
Chuffed with himself, M’Jakuna would bask in his success, shaking out his fur despite that truly meaning little with the rain there to touch him again.

And he’d lay down, belly to damp earth, stretching out his forelimbs and tucking his tail close to his hocks. For a moment he’d watch the male and the fish before turning his gaze to the lake again.

After, he’d close his eyes—a moment of repose, but far from slumber.

the staff team luvs u
11-16-2022, 01:07 PM
He huffed.

His ears splayed back. Twin awkward, airplane ear angles on top his head.

He settled next to him.

Near him.

On his stomach. The fish braced beneath a foreleg. He pulled and twisted and chewed. Fish scales in his gums. Its meat between his teeth.

the staff team luvs u
scroll to top