Welcome to Canis Major

a wolf and animal rpg (role-playing game)

Canis is a writing community for play-by-post (forum-based), freeform roleplay set in a fictional dream world in the intrusion fantasy genre. Most characters on Canis are wolves; many play elements are focused around wolves and canids, but the world makes room for a large variety of other animal characters such as dogs, horses, cats, bears, deer, and many, many more.

Our community is focused on flexibility, creativity, and collaboration. That boils down to a few important features:

• There is no set activity requirement to write
  • The setting and plot are member-created and staff-supported
  • The game is continuously improved to increase fun and decrease stress

Learn more in our Rulebook!

P
how the night dances

Late Evening Partly Cloudy
P
Ecologist
Adventurer
11-13-2022, 01:46 AM (This post was last modified: 11-21-2022, 05:51 PM by Nikita. Edited 1 time in total.)
She was aware there were at least two packs in the area, and while she only knew Elysium's by the name she was not going to press her luck with the other one. Valeska had been a kind presence and she would probably be welcomed should she want to tell her fortunes at the pack, but Nikita didn't venture that close. She was becoming a hermit near winter, trying to find somewhere to buckle down. To hold the fort.

She had found plenty of caves and old dens that used to be used, but nothing felt very right. She wanted it to be a spark, immediate knowing... Like what happened when she told fortunes or spoke of nature. Finding a place to settle was still a foreign concept to her. But she did need to do it. She had to. For herself and her safety through the bitter season. Perhaps she would camp near Bluewater Lake, for it was full of fish and had various herbs situated there.

It held shelter but promised no safety. Nowhere did when you were a vagabond. Sigh. As she turned around, facing where she knew to be Rippling Heights in the far distance, Nikita could not help but feel apprehensive. The blood moon made her feel fear, despite knowing it was a natural occurrence. It had happened before in her world, even if she hadn't been privy to seeing it. "H-Hello?" Steps behind her caused the woman to falter, her bravery (or foolish obliviousness) breaking.

She turned to see a tall and imposing woman before her.

the staff team luvs u
Ecologist
11-13-2022, 02:31 AM
^^The blood moon was an interesting, naturally occurring phenomenon that happened when everything lined up correctly: the moon, the planet, and the path of the sun. A giant shadow from Canis/Earth that cast itself over the moon.

Some folks saw it as an omen. A big red marking in the sky, after creatures had danced there a few months (or so) ago? Seemed shady as hell, if Harper didn’t know any better - but she did. She totally did.

Yet, if anyone were to believe in omens, it was the one true Devil Wolf.

Tonight was a nice night, and with her children tucked in, Harper set off to mark the borders, and perhaps do some foraging. Winter was coming, after all, and she needed to refill her own cache. She stepped towards some Yarrow, pausing a moment when a new scent caught her attention, and Harper followed it.

H-hello?

The smaller woman before her looked like she could have been related to her very late husband, Crux. Slate-blacks, and creamy whites, with speckles of white on her torso, though Harper had never seen a curled tail on a canine before, or really, at all.

“Oh hello! Did no mean to u-er.. fray-ten” (frighten) - Harper mused, sometimes forgetting that she was a large canine and others saw her as intimidating. “I just fore-aging be all..” Harper smiled softly, using this strange wolf as testing, Harper was trying to work on being more friendly.
^^

the staff team luvs u
Ecologist
Adventurer
11-13-2022, 03:24 AM
While the smile seemed a bit forced, not in a bad way, Nikki relaxed a bit. She let loose a breath of air she hadn't realized she had held for that long. It felt like her lungs had become constructed, only realizing this when the danger passed. "Hello," she repeated her own words and the woman's. A beat passed and she tittered with a bit of laughter "oh, but I did say that already, yes?" She felt if the other wolf wanted to converse, they meant her no real harm.

She also smelt of Valeska. A welcoming smell; the woman had been kind and friendly. Even open to being her first fortune told in this world. Her curly tail wagged a bit. "The Lady Moon just... unnerved me a bit" she glanced at the bloody orb, frowning softly "I am not used to seeing Her in such a... violent... color." The moon had always been a constant companion, one of peace and tranquility. One to understand others where nobody else did. To the near pacifist... The blood moon was an omen.

"Y-You're from Elysium, mhm? I met Valeska once. She is a good woman" Her tail wagged in doggish nature as she spoke of fleeting friendships "my name is Nikita. Nikki works though. Who are you?"

the staff team luvs u
11-14-2022, 02:51 AM
^^Lady Moon.

What a perfect, mysterious name for the moon.

And though the greeting was repeated, Harper hadn't minded. A friendly woman, Nikka was the perfect canine for Harper to practice on!

“ That be alright. I understand.” Harper smiled softly.

And not only did the two share similar smells from being related and being in the same pack, but they held the same accent, though Harper's was thicker.

“ Lady Moon,” Harper whispered, liking the name, as she nodded her head. “ It do be a bit ee-ray,” Harper came to agree.

“ E-spee-chuu-lee follow the fig-you-ares,” (especially follow the figures) - Harper noted with a grimace. Some words would forever be hard.

Though she would smile and wag her tail at the mention of her dear little sister. “ Ah yes, Valeska do like to spread cheer and happy time,” Harper giggled.

“She is me sister. I am Harper, Elysium's Divine Thornweaver. It nice meet friendly friend of Valeska! Is good? You want come fer visit, since so close to border?” After all, this did not seem like a political visit, but more of a social one.
^^

the staff team luvs u
Ecologist
Adventurer
11-14-2022, 06:01 PM
Follow the figures. Hmm? "What figures?" Nikki was curious, tilting her head to the side "I've never heard someone say that word when associating it with Lady Moon." Was it a new way to look at the sky and stars? Oh, she wanted to know so badly now! She resisted jumping everywhere, barking and kneading the ground like an uncivilized beast... She stood still. As much as she wanted to jump though... Jumping was fun!

Harper readily asked if she wanted to go visit Valeska. Nikki shook her head. "I'll be around Fate's Respite for a few days. I think Valeska has her paws full with her little ones, yes?" She remembered the woman's secret desire for more children too "I don't want to accidentally wake any of them up!" Her eyes flew open at the thought. How awful of her, if she did that! "I'll visit another time. It's quite late, Harper." She nodded a few times, expressing a slight regret.

She sniffed, finding the scent of puppies on Harper's coat. "Oh, I'm not keeping you from your children too, am I?"

the staff team luvs u
scroll to top