Welcome to Canis Major

a wolf and animal rpg (role-playing game)

Canis is a writing community for play-by-post (forum-based), freeform roleplay set in a fictional dream world in the intrusion fantasy genre. Most characters on Canis are wolves; many play elements are focused around wolves and canids, but the world makes room for a large variety of other animal characters such as dogs, horses, cats, bears, deer, and many, many more.

Our community is focused on flexibility, creativity, and collaboration. That boils down to a few important features:

• There is no set activity requirement to write
  • The setting and plot are member-created and staff-supported
  • The game is continuously improved to increase fun and decrease stress

Learn more in our Rulebook!

P
late night scuffle

Late Evening Partly Cloudy
P
Elkshire
Adventurer
Entertainer
11-11-2022, 01:28 AM (This post was last modified: 01-07-2023, 01:14 AM by Godbrand. Edited 2 times in total.)
With another year, he was older. It felt surreal almost, and perhaps that's why he could not find rest. Rising from his den, Bran walked through the Crown alone and unaided. He did not see any wolf around that he knew by name. Hell, he did not see anyone. They were probably snoozing in their dens. It was almost midnight by now; he didn't blame their lack of entertaining presence. They couldn't keep him company all the time.

The man began to hum softly, not vocally enough to be called out on it. He was still a bit... embarrassed to admit he liked the performing arts. It didn't seem very masculine, or useful at times. He kept it mostly to himself until he felt confident in his abilities. About to rise in pitch, a twig snapping alerted him of another's presence. He jerked his body around to face — a girl. It was not Edith, nor little Faust. He did not know who it was. Relaxing the spiked fur along his shoulders, he sighed.

She smelt of Elkshire. She was allowed to be here. He would not attack her for trespassing, then. "Greetings," he began formally "you cannot sleep either?"

the staff team luvs u
[Image: 9499574_uiTsbKbAofAwJY7.png]
STANDING AT THE GATES OF HELL
STILL WANTING MORE MORE MORE
11-25-2022, 11:44 PM (This post was last modified: 11-25-2022, 11:44 PM by Mauve.)

Darkness would envelop the sky, Mauve had not noticed the time of day while she was searching for herbs and flowers to bring back to the healer’s den. Hoping that they would be able to take her under for guidance and training. An apprenticeship would be wonderful in hopes that maybe they would help her grow in knowledge about the various plant properties. She had understood the fundamentals, some smelt poisonous but others had a sickly sweet scent she was too nervous to pick. They seemed suspicious. Between clenched teeth were several herbs, all in various sizes but most were sage green.

Stepping quickly over fallen branches, it seemed as though she had missed her placement. A loud snap echoed along the bushes as she paused momentarily. Knowing how late it was, she was sure that the patrol would be out and about to investigate the noise. She sighed inwardly, the younger crowd seemed to get the bad reputation of doing something troublesome but she swore all she had done was misplace time.

Eyes of silver and blue would peer across the meadow until she was greeted with hues of gold. She looked to the other, unsure who exactly he was. His hackles were raised and she tilted her head, had she scared him? She did not mean to at least. Though it was kind of sweet how alert he was in the middle of the night. Mauve had been more of the careless type, hence her delayed timing in getting back within the pack’s borders.

Her ears perked forward, eyes widening momentarily as she was about to speak. Only to be muffled by the plants that inhabited her mouth. Moving her head to the ground she gently placed them there, making sure none of the herb’s valuable parts would break off. Head shaking, “No sir, I had simply lost track of time.” She confessed her voice showing a smidge of embarrassment. Having a hard time admitting that she simply was lost in her mind to not realize the setting sun.

“I take it since you had expressed that I may be in the same situation… you cannot sleep?” She was incoherent about the age gap that wedged against them. She twisted her gaze to the various dens of sleeping wolves, “I take it since you are the only one up that you were the one humming. I didn't mean to interrupt your serenade to the moon.”

the staff team luvs u
[Image: mauve_bean.png]
Adventurer
11-26-2022, 12:03 AM (This post was last modified: 01-07-2023, 01:12 AM by Godbrand. Edited 1 time in total.)
He grunts.

Acknowledgment, though not willing to press or even call her out. She had lost track of so much time, it would seem. How much was not known, though she appeared to be shocked at the actual time of day? Bran could be mistaking it. The girl turned it back to him rather quickly; though she did not do it in a manipulative or cruel way. Perhaps she did not care to extend her words further. He could understand that much. "I cannot, no" he replied to her "I never sleep on my day of birth. Too much to think about."

Which was true. He suffered from insomnia on that particular day, too deep in thought. Wondering where his littermates were; wishing they were either well if alive or at peace if dead. Seeing as he never came in contact with them before The Fee from his original world, and Mother did not know where they were either... Bran found it sad. An ear twitched at the brown girl's admission she had heard him humming. "It is fine," he replied, sucking back his shock he had been so loud "at least it did not burn your ears."

Was that a joke? Difficult to tell. He moved on. "Are you a healer in Elkshire?"

the staff team luvs u
11-26-2022, 12:32 AM

Though subtle the grunt easily noted how he felt about the situation of her losing track of time. Irresponsible. She should have fibbed and said she was visiting a friend… though perhaps he would take that as a guy friend… since that was all girls had on their minds at such an age. Please, an intellectual mind would be more fascinating than a male with big muscles and eyes to drool over. She was correct in how he was unable to slumber within the confinements of his den. She had a wandering gaze, okay, maybe the girl’s kinda thought boys were cute. He certainly was rather handsome in a ruggish way. Snapping out of it rather quickly, her eyes widened. A smile fell against her facial features as she moved a little closer, careful to step over the herbs, “Oh! Today is your birthday?! How exciting… Why are you not off celebrating with your friends? By now I would certainly see you partaking in a hunt or something more exciting than… walking aimlessly around.”

Mauve, though meaning nothing out of it, had not understood the components of talking more subtly about context clues. That he had trouble sleeping because of a traumatic experience on his birthday… even then… she wished she knew when she was born. She had no memories to fall back on as he did. Perhaps he had faces to names and names to faces. Did he remember his family… Maybe that is why it was so hard to walk amongst the world with memories. Knowing that your past life was something different. It held those that were loved once… She frowned visibly, “Apologize, I didn’t mean to overstep.” My two ‘sorries’ in a row. She was certainly on a streak.

The subject was changed as quickly as it went, he had made a joke. She gave a soft giggle, “No, you had a good pitch.” Though it was merely a hum his rhythm and voice didn’t sound obnoxious.

He asked her a question, her eyes retorting back to the herbs that splayed across the ground, “I hope to be, yes.” She replied, “My tactics in fighting are merely … eh at best. Though, I hope to get better at that as well.” She felt so useless in the pack without talent, without any knowledge to fall back on that she could have remembered when she was in her other world.

the staff team luvs u
[Image: mauve_bean.png]
Entertainer
Paladin
11-26-2022, 01:16 AM (This post was last modified: 01-07-2023, 01:13 AM by Godbrand. Edited 1 time in total.)
Friends.

He knew he only really had Edith as a friend in Elkshire. Perhaps Calhoun, but the boy was living in his father's pack. Did he really lack friends his own age? Why did he seem to get along with yearlings over more experienced wolves? The girl's emotions flickered into her words, excitable and happy for him. Bran... could not seem to be happy. "I shared my birthday with littermates," He informs her, attempting to keep his own voice flat. However, it did quiver a bit "they are not of this world. I do not know if they are of any world, to be frank." They perhaps died is what he was attempting to say. Dead. Long gone. Did this world have an afterlife?

He did not know if there was a duality to the High Elk, akin to some religions. Some benevolence forces had another force, less than kind. They typically ruled over all that was unholy and decayed. "I do not see sense in celebrating when they are not here with me," He adds to the girl, attempting to shrug casually "I have no family or kin here" As they had just met, Bran did not wish for the girl to make a mistake again. He merely told her how it was, in his life. He didn't expect sympathy or compassion. He told her due to them being packmates "as for friends... I have not gotten that far in Elkshire, I confess. A singular friend, yes, but she is busy with duties, I suspect." Edith perhaps did not know it was his birthday anyway.

And the girl apologized too.

"You did nothing wrong," he shook his head, dismissing it in the end. Mentioning he had a 'good pitch', Bran raised a brow. She did not seem the type to lie anyway, so he took it as truth "it is something to work on, my performing" She also confessed to being lackluster in fighting "which you share, albeit with fighting" He inclined his head "I have some experience fighting defensively and offensively. If you want, I can teach you some things."

the staff team luvs u
scroll to top