Welcome to Canis Major

a wolf and animal rpg (role-playing game)

Canis is a writing community for play-by-post (forum-based), freeform roleplay set in a fictional dream world in the intrusion fantasy genre. Most characters on Canis are wolves; many play elements are focused around wolves and canids, but the world makes room for a large variety of other animal characters such as dogs, horses, cats, bears, deer, and many, many more.

Our community is focused on flexibility, creativity, and collaboration. That boils down to a few important features:

• There is no set activity requirement to write
  • The setting and plot are member-created and staff-supported
  • The game is continuously improved to increase fun and decrease stress

Learn more in our Rulebook!

AW
Hope for the world but prepare for the worst

Sunrise Partly Cloudy
AW
Adventurer
11-04-2022, 08:56 AM (This post was last modified: 11-04-2022, 09:21 AM by Obelisk. Edited 1 time in total.)
Edgy title but listening to As it Was by Harry Styles so I want a happy Obelisk! | The day after his previous threads :)

Continuing throughout the tundra was easy, having gotten his paw thankfully unstuck. Now, as he traversed the snowy wasteland, he came upon a tall, jagged mountain, where the scent of wolves rode the currents. Quirking a brow, the man sniffed around the forming borders, curiously venturing how far he could get before he was hailed upon by one of these pack-wolves.

Or, at least, what he expected to be a pack wolf. While the smells were few and far, it was clear that there was at least a group here. Trying to form or not, the man figured it'd be best to say hi, right? Flicking his tail, a smile tugged at his features. Obelisk didn't know why, but he was feeling particularly jovial today, so it seemed that mercy would be upon any new acquaintances he'd have the pleasure of meeting today.

Not that he hadn't been merciful lately. If anything, he'd been quite kind!

the staff team luvs u
Paladin
Formation
11-04-2022, 09:41 AM
You travel boldly for claimed lands. The Princess was unsure just how long the loner lingered beyond their borders, but he had been easy enough to spot amongst the pale snow. She had watched him encroach for a fair moment before deciding he had traveled far enough. Her voice however would ring out before she willed her legs to move. Shiroshika may have moved somewhat recently, but their numbers were strong enough that any wolf should be able to smell their claim. He was a stranger, one with unknown intentions as he knowingly trespassed, and they could not differ more. Where she was small and pale, he could easily tower her with a figure that cloaked like the shade of a tree.

Needless to say, he was a downright intimidating voice that screamed from the back of her mind. Inhaling, she allowed her eyes to close momentarily while she pushed the noise out and by the time her gaze refixed upon him, she would have exhaled the demons that haunted her if only for a moment. Rather he stopped or not she would grow closer to bar his path, Have you no manners or are you in need of something? It would have to be urgent to travel without calling, but she did not hold him to such trustworthy standards. Either way, he had her attention.

the staff team luvs u
11-04-2022, 09:51 AM

It didn't take too long for the sire to be found, and a bastardly grin formed across his maw as the approacher began to speak, voice laced with aggression that Obelisk saw as unnecessary; “You travel boldly for claimed lands.” The man dipped his head as her voice rung across the snow, reflecting off of trees as if it were the sun on the water's surface.

He hummed for a few moments, allowing her to continue.“Have you no manners or are you in need of something?” Quick and concise, down to business, she seemed. Obelisk shook his head with a chuckle, only drawing out the moment for a few seconds before clicking his tongue and beginning; “Apologies for my obliviousness,” He purred, watching as she stepped closer.

The shadow stopped in his track, staring her down intently, though a devilish smirk continued to pull at his face. She was quite tiny, he observed; like a bug. “I am Obelisk, merely travelling the snowy region. Do you take on a title, princess . . ?” If pet-names had gotten him anywhere with Alya, perhaps they'd work with this lady, too.

the staff team luvs u
Paladin
11-05-2022, 08:26 PM (This post was last modified: 11-05-2022, 10:59 PM by Hotaru. Edited 1 time in total.)
He heeded her call, though his words oozed in a manner that caused her skin to crawl. Did he think this was funny? That he could step wherever he wished without consequence? He had not been the first to test their borders and it was certain he would not be the last, but one thing was certain, he would not repeat his mistake. A frown tugged gently at her lips, though she'd resist from fuming openly, Princess Hotaru, yes, of Shiroshika the grounds you currently stand by. It was clear he had intended to use her title as a jeer, but perhaps her introduction would silence him.

Doubtful. But worth a shot.

There is plenty of snow to traverse unclaimed, and there are creatures far more unforgiving that linger in these lands. Shiroshika had never been one to execute violence without questioning, but she could not speak for what other packs now settled. Additionally, there was a fair chance Kuhn or his friends still roamed the tundra. I apologize if I come off as blunt, but we have been troubled by other individuals in the past. I will not stand to see their faults repeated. If there is something you seek perhaps I can direct you, otherwise please care for our borders.

the staff team luvs u
11-05-2022, 11:15 PM

“Princess Hotaru, yes, of Shiroshika the grounds you currently stand by.” A proper princess, hm? By the ways he spoke, it was quite clear, and of Shiroshika as well, though he probably wouldn't end up remembering, nor needing to use, the name.
“Pleasure to meet you . . . Princess Hotaru,” He smiled with a dip of his head. “I am Obelisk” The sire said his name with such strength that it may've came off as a threat, though he was just proclaiming himself.

And the pale woman – Hotaru – continued; “There is plenty of snow to traverse unclaimed, and there are creatures far more unforgiving that linger in these lands.” Well, apologies if he was curious; first pack he'd scented since . . . since . . . since he could remember? Surely that couldn't be right. Where had he been . . . beforehand . . . even before meeting Alya . . ?

“Apologies for my curiousness, it's the first pack I've scented in a while, so I cannot help but be inquisitive.” He said, breaking through the thoughts like a rushing river through a dam.

Some sort of other faults, being troubled, and that if he needs something specifically that she may be able to direct him, or he shall back off. Right, yep, okay, he saw how it was, but then again, he was also really really curious about new places and wanted to just burst in at a sprint. Obelisk needed to somehow squash down this puppy-like wonder.

“I mean no harm,” He insisted, brows raising as if he were shocked that the pale princess would even think of such an outrageous thing. “I am merely passing through; a newcomer to these lands, if you will.”

the staff team luvs u
Adventurer
11-06-2022, 08:59 PM
Obelisk. What a weird name. She wouldn't comment as much, of course, but the thought was intrusive nonetheless. She did not return his pleasantries, perhaps soured by her own assumptions to admit that he may be indeed harmless. Though could one blame her for being defensive? The last curious and quirky individual to cross their borders ended up tormenting them along with his companion until they were forced to move and assault him. Every day she wondered if @Kuhn would find himself back at their borders with bloodlust laced into his gaze. She prayed he wouldn't.

As frustrated as that man made her, she frankly did not have the energy anymore to care. He could live, and they could live, but they were too different to live beside each other. Hopefully he agreed... There's not much to find out this way. Tsukiishi is as far as you will find in this direction. Aside from us, the Tundra is rather plain. There's another pack to the southern woods, but that is all I know. The words were met with an ending sigh as she offered the information freely. She was being rash and despite those who ruined her trust, there were still plenty of good wolves in the world. If you are looking for others, many lay in the mountains. Are you in search of a home?

the staff team luvs u
11-12-2022, 09:57 PM

“There's not much to find out this way. Tsukiishi is as far as you will find in this direction. Aside from us, the Tundra is rather plain. There's another pack to the southern woods, but that is all I know.” So, this was it, huh? Obelisk's face fell a notch, though slowly rose back to its' previous state. He looked back to where the woods lie; perhaps another pack for him to go sniffing about, though he was uncertain whether or not they'd be more or less aggressive than the pale princess.

His sunfire gaze settled atop the lady once more as she continued speaking, though, calling for Obelisk's ears to perk as he listened; “If you are looking for others, many lay in the mountains. Are you in search of a home?” Was he in search of a home? In all honesty, he didn't really think so, though perhaps he could get to know these strangers if he welcomed himself into their pack for a bit. No, no, Obelisk didn't think he'd be able to take the pressure, and being tied-down to a specific dot on the tundra. “No, I'm merely a nomad. Curious about what this new world may hold, I am, though . . . if you have any suggestions on where to go next, they'll be gladly taken . . .”

Perhaps he could convince her to lead the way, hm? Maybe she'd point out another band for him to sniff around and annoy. That'd be fun, although it implied that his first goal here was to be a nuisance, when it strictly wasn't. He was here to get a glimpse of the packs in this world; that was it. Yes.

the staff team luvs u
Adventurer
12-30-2022, 07:54 AM
A nomad...therefore a man without a home. She couldn't exactly complain that he had no desire to join, even if Shiroshika may benefit from his paws, but it seemed he was not quite ready to move on. Hotaru couldn't help but wonder if she had not just given him a direction to search, but perhaps it was not the answer he sought. The one in the woods may be closest, Unaware of Duskguard's settlement thus far at least, but beyond that are others clustered. I have not traveled the plains, so if you want a surprise, then you may favor them.

the staff team luvs u
01-07-2023, 03:38 PM

The man smiled, dipping his head in gratitude as the woman gave him a few places to scope out. Taking a single look behind him, a charismatic smile rose to his maw, before parting it. “I suppose I'll just have to explore for myself,” he purred, eyes flitting back to the snow-white figure. “Again, it was a pleasure.” for a moment, he'd linger, in case there was anything else she'd like to voice. He gave her an expectant look.

the staff team luvs u
scroll to top