Welcome to Canis Major

a wolf and animal rpg (role-playing game)

Canis is a writing community for play-by-post (forum-based), freeform roleplay set in a fictional dream world in the intrusion fantasy genre. Most characters on Canis are wolves; many play elements are focused around wolves and canids, but the world makes room for a large variety of other animal characters such as dogs, horses, cats, bears, deer, and many, many more.

Our community is focused on flexibility, creativity, and collaboration. That boils down to a few important features:

• There is no set activity requirement to write
  • The setting and plot are member-created and staff-supported
  • The game is continuously improved to increase fun and decrease stress

Learn more in our Rulebook!

AW
Perseverance

Early Morning Sunny/Clear
AW
Northfall
Adventurer
10-05-2022, 07:26 PM (This post was last modified: 10-08-2022, 08:36 PM by Flora. Edited 16 times in total.)
For what seemed like a mere few minutes, the autumnal female felt like she was free running into the an endless ravine, chased by her shadows.. an unforgettable past. She shed not tears of fear, anxiety or unease – instead she wept with a sense of alleviation, freedom – something she’d longed for her entire life up until now, she fought against the hardships of strange meetings, she battled against natures attempt to deplete her strength through its harsh changing seasons, she’d starved for days before finding a hearty meal, and when on the brink of giving up, she lifted herself from the depths of hell and triumphed against her shifting mentality. She was a free spirit, who’d adjusted to life alone for the past 6 months, however despite being solo, she now breathed a life prosperity, she longed for sanctity, to be blessed by the gods yet they held an impenetrable shield that she could not seem to bypass until now.

A breath of fresh air, an uncanny breeze was all it took to wake the sleeping beauty. She shifted with unease, refusing to lift herself from the sunken earth beneath her. How long had she slept? Hazel eyes squinted as they readjusted to the morning rays, its warmth struck the back of her collar like an element fighting against her. Front paws twitched as she slowly lifted herself, greeted by the insects that nestled beneath her underbelly – before she shook them, releasing them from their grip. Her coat was medium in length, though she’d soon thicken up with the coming winter. Shifting her gaze from left to right, she’d wobble slightly before regaining her balance. Her throat was dry, as she parted her lips to take a deep inhale. Better get to finding some fresh water she whispered to herself. Ears lifted upwards, erect as she listened out for the sound of running water, a feint smell passed her nostrils as she flared them. Flora knew she’d crossed the borders of a settlement; however she disregarded this as she had no ill intent. Instead, she sought refuge, even if it was temporary. A little company hurt nobody right?

Tag: @Freya@Elysia
the staff team luvs u
10-08-2022, 07:50 PM
^^

It was not one of her rambunctious brood that Freya had found that day. Nor was it anyone from Northfall. These days the goddess had plenty of time to step away from the den, @Ragnar spending time with his children meant that she could stretch her legs and not worry all the time over their whereabouts. It was refreshing, having that sense of freedom back to her was worth it's weight in spades. Being active meant that she could easily work off the baby weight she had carried from having housed eight puppies -- something that was greatly important to the goddess who represented beauty. She was near enough back to her perfect state, something that was obvious in the way she carried herself once again.

"You are a bold one," she cooed as she approached, her walk a gentle confidence as her smile sat on her freckled features. She so readily stood within a claim that was bolstering with scents yet she looked wholly unconcerned. Freya didn't particularly care one way or another, preferring to have fun rather than be a bore but she had eight children to ensure the safety of -- so someone new meant that had to figure them out.

Freya observed her, happy to note that she wasn't much of anything. Decorated in earthy tones safe for the splashes of white, the woman before her stood no chance in the shadow of Freya. That was good, it worked in her favour. "Welcome to Northfall, shall I do the usual bit and ask if you need anything?" She cooed in a tease, tail coming to playfully curl at her haunches.
^^

the staff team luvs u
Soulbound
"A deep, lasting emotional or spiritual connection between characters, typically of a psychic or magical nature."

To find out more about Freya's soulbound adoptables, please look here! Interested? Drop me a message. 
10-08-2022, 08:19 PM (This post was last modified: 10-08-2022, 08:26 PM by Flora. Edited 6 times in total.)
The silence of the mountainous, frost coated earth was nothing entirely new to Flora, it was something she was used to – after being alone for quite some time since her departure from her homelands. As tranquil as it was, its stillness was interrupted as a female laced in porcelain approached her. She’d glanced over her beauty, paws shifting uneasy beneath her, as she took a step back to avoid confrontation. Mind your step’ She purred, words laced with honey, The grounds can be unpredictable.

She’d nod acknowledging as the white lady spoke; Bold.. perhaps She mused; Though I suppose the gods have sent a beauty like you to my aid’ The snowy female was indeed quite the specimen, her eyes golden, her face freckled and presence somewhat alluring. Flora observed her movements, eyes wandering, from her feet, to her stomach, hind and finally meeting her gaze once more. She was medium in size, though her muscle would no doubt be hidden well beneath her thick coat. Forgive me, I’m just visiting – She’d pause; You mention Northfall? Is that the name of this place? Nostrils twitched as she inhaled her aroma; This lady did not live alone like Flora… no she smelled of youth, perhaps a pack member? A new/recent mother? Though no pups we're to be seen as of yet. Nothing for the moment, though I don’t mind the company. I’m new to the lands.

Tag: @Freya
the staff team luvs u
Paladin
10-09-2022, 11:12 PM

It was hard to keep the growing youth still. She was always out and about when she could get past her siblings and her mother. And as soon as the sun came up on this fine morning, she found herself tracking her mother towards the borders — which was quickly becoming her favorite place! It packed action and meeting new wolves all at once! It was quite the place to be. 

Sylvi finally caught up, but it appeared that Freya was not alone. The little fluff ball came bounding out of the evergreens with her hackles raised and her nose wrinkled, showing those cute little puppy canines. "Mamma! Er í lagi með þig?" There seemed to be no danger. The stranger didn't present it to them yet, at least. But Sylvi found herself wriggling right in front of her mother's forelegs and sniffing out at the strange woman with caution in her olive eyes. 

the staff team luvs u
[Image: sylvi.png]
Paladin
10-11-2022, 10:53 PM
There was a few of the pups in Freya's litter that were like little shadows to their father. Sylvi was one of them, though this time Ragnar himself was the one playing the role of 'the shadow'.

He followed after her, not all that far behind and it led him to that of Freya and another... another he did not quite know. Already, Ragnar had once been met with a stranger in his land. A coyote, one which was a ward of @Aarkron. This was a second. Had their healer brought another to their home?

“Did the one that invited you to visit not tell you the name of this land?” It seemed odd to him and it shown in Ragnar's expression as he drew nearer to the side of Freya and their daughter. “What is your name then, visitor?” He asked.
the staff team luvs u
*Ragnar frequently has black feathers woven into his scruff, curiosity of his good friend, Krakarak.
10-12-2022, 07:30 PM (This post was last modified: 10-12-2022, 07:30 PM by Freya. Edited 1 time in total.)
^^

She was used to the terrain for it was her home, to have the other speak of it as if she were the new one... well, it rather rubbed Freya the wrong way. Had it not been the saving grace of her next comment, Freya might have been spitting venom. The goddess preened beneath her words, tilting her chin with a coy smile upon her lips, "the gods," she purred, "funny you should mention them." She recalled her first life easily, as if no time has passed at all despite it being... many, many lives since then. "Freya, a pleasure," one of the things she had been the face of, of course.

Freya always would take nicely to compliments upon her beauty. It was quite a sure way to keep yourself within her good graces. She did not cower beneath her wide-eye observation, standing confidently as she always did and tilted her head, smile still coy and perched on her lips. Just visiting, she said, and Freya laughed. Softly it fell from her lips like honey from a comb, her ears perking as she quirked a brow, "visiting. I think perhaps trespassing might be a better word," she cooed, "though as I believe it was out of your control, I will let it slide." Freya hummed, teasing the other readily. She nodded, "Northfall are these lands, homed by the Pack who take after it in name." Freya hadn't thought on it before, Pack and territory alike sharing a name -- but she supposed it wasn't the first time she had encountered such a thing.

"Company is certainly one thing you will find in Northfall," she mused, when one of her more actively rambunctious children came bounding forward. "Sylvi, little shieldmaiden, you might need to talk in the common tongue." Freya encouraged with an amused glint in her multicoloured gaze. Not long after did Ragnar come, as if he were summoned by a strangers scent intermingled with hers and as if he had a sixth sense for ensuring their daughter didn't stray too far. 

Freya welcomed him to her side, lifting her tail to draw it along his flank as he came to stand by their sides. "Come now, Ragnar, have some leniency; she speaks of my beauty." The goddess laughed, smile cheeky and pleased.
^^

the staff team luvs u
Soulbound
"A deep, lasting emotional or spiritual connection between characters, typically of a psychic or magical nature."

To find out more about Freya's soulbound adoptables, please look here! Interested? Drop me a message. 
10-12-2022, 08:02 PM
The stillness between the two ladies was all too short, for a young wolf approached, shifting beneath white lady, Flora’s head cocked, ears flicked and gaze fixated on the small fragile wolf beneath the one she referred to as mamma. The little wolf resembled her mother quite well, she held the same freckles scattered along her nose, and she spouted a pelage of neutral tones, with her hind as light as her mothers and her eyes an olive tone. She’d often poke her nose out towards Flora, which made the female take another step back before settling her haunches into the cool earth.

She’d watch momentarily as the two just ahead of her exchanged gazes, only to be interrupted once more with the crunching of paws in the frost laden grounds. They were a large wolf, and Flora had predetermined his gender due to the strong scent he held, he was perhaps this groups leader. He held himself well, strong and proud as he stoon next to his two deities, though she didn’t look this man in the eye – her goal was to avoid and confrontational situations and out of respect she lowered her head, eyes averting themselves to the ground beneath them – after all she was the outsider here. My apologies, I may have bumped my head on the way down the rabbit hole’ she’d muse, jokingly a smile creasing at the corners of her stoic expression.

Her head thumped, and she’d often twitch as the fresh, icy winds unravel themselves beneath her medium autumnal fur. Her eyes shifted from the ground upon the small wolf beneath the white lady. My name… Flora. She’d reply, her breath hastening. Ears lifted upwards as the deity lady spoke, mentioning of Flora’s trespassing, before giving her a brief explanation as to where the name originated from.Yes, sorry. I must have missed the borders; I can only hope you’ll forgive my ignorance. She mused; her words soft, delicate almost.

the staff team luvs u
Paladin
10-12-2022, 10:45 PM

Sylvi was somewhat taken back that her father had appeared almost right after her. Was he following her? Tossing a scorned look back at him. It was short-lived, hearing Freya's voice, then looking back at the stranger. Ah. Commoner. "Hrmmph. You alright, mum?" She repeated, quieter, but this time in commoners' speech. Her accent overlays almost every word, especially when she mumbled. It made it hard for those to understand, even if she was speaking in a language they understood.

Banter between her parents were tossed back and forth. But Sylvi was dead set on one thing... Someone in their land. Constance had been gracious enough to stay on the borders... and this woman wandered in? The youth's hackles stayed ruffled, still in front of her mother's forelegs, eyes glued to the trespasser until she ceased speaking. She'd then look up and over her shoulder. Another silent question tossed to him. 'What're you gonna do, dad?' The same thing she'd thought, when he found Constance. How would he handle it this time? Her head tilted slightly. 

the staff team luvs u
Adventurer
10-13-2022, 01:02 AM
It was a posture which Ragnar Stormborn held effortlessly. A posture that was confident, yet not errogant. One that was proud, which he very much was so in both his family name and in his pack and the many lives within it which called themselves either Stormborn or a wolf of Northfall. Though his head remained uplifted and his tall stature caused him to look down upon her lowered frame and averted gaze, he did not look to her as a peasant or a lesser. There was a happy curiosity in his expression and hidden beneath, always a readiness for physical action to be taken if needed.

Freya, spoke otherwise. Icy eyes shifted to the side as she spoke, soothing any idea he might have had of this newcomer posing any threat to his lover and the child they shared. Freya was far more then just her beauty. She was a woman of poise and power, fitting for one of great position. She had died in battle and had been reborn in blood. Strong, healthy and her womb quite capable of birthing many equally strong and proud children to live on the name of Stormborn long after Ragnar had turned to rot and Freya moved on from this life to the next.

“Does she now?” His voice lifted, a playful smirk moving over his lips as a scarred brow rose. “Well of course she isn't wrong in that... but this is easy to see.” Freya was, of course, beautiful and the two of them together had created many beautiful children. Still, the tresspasser stating the obvious wouldn't always save her as it had now.

Ragnar looks back to her. A pretty little thing of chocolate, caramel and cream. She mimicked many of his children's colors. A shame she didn't seem very bright. At least, not in these moments though Ragnar was not one to dismiss someone so suddenly on first impression. After all, she could have just "awoken". She could be lost. She could have been drawn here same as Eirene, for she had also tresspassed on her arrival here.

“While forgiveness may be given, we cannot allow you to continue wandering through our home.” They had far too many wonderful things in their home to protect. “That is, unless you would enjoy the idea of calling this place your home as well?” A curious eye, he paused a moment before continuing. “I am Ragnar, it's King. Tell me Flora, how did you come to this place? What is it last you remember?” There were many which had their awakening close to Northfall's doorstep and some which woke even within, as @Oryx had. Ragnar was interested in this woman's story, if she were to call Northfall her home with the same confidence so many others did.
the staff team luvs u
*Ragnar frequently has black feathers woven into his scruff, curiosity of his good friend, Krakarak.
10-13-2022, 12:53 PM
^^

Sylvi did as Freya suggested and she tilted her head down to the girl to bump her nose into her crown, "of course, my little shieldmaiden. When am I not, hm?" It was sweet, the way Sylvi thought of her wellbeing. A loyal little thing she was turning out to be. She glanced up at the new comer made a comment, on that took Freya a second as it felt familiar and she shifted through her memories and recalled the tale. Her lips tilted, "shall I call you Alice, then?" She revealed her name to be Flora but Freya was settled on Alice.

Ragnar confirmed it, easily as he always did and Freya's smile was coy, edging on cheeky as she bumped her hip against his own, "you spoil me so," and it worked in his favour thoroughly. It was a shame that they could not continue on the topic of her beauty, instead focusing on the boring things like trespassing and the why's of Alice's appearance. Freya all but sighed as she glanced back to Alice, tilting her head as she lifted a paw to wrap it around Sylvi and tug her to her, trying to playfully push her onto her side beneath Freya as she kept her attention to Alice and Ragnar.

They knew there was a possibility she had been shoved into this land as many others had yet Freya didn't reveal it, looking to see if Alice would think back on her earlier comment of missing the borders. Her nose was surely working and she was a wolf, they typically knew what claims were -- unless she had been from another life, another body like Freya -- so perhaps she needed Ragnar's question to think on it. To come to her own conclusion that she might have been plucked from one universe into this one.

"Oh yes," Freya cooed, "tell us," she encouraged, curious to see where this would go.
^^

the staff team luvs u
Soulbound

10-15-2022, 09:45 AM (This post was last modified: 10-21-2022, 06:09 PM by Flora. Edited 7 times in total.)
Her chin lifted upwards, and gaze now drifted upon the masculine figure that stood ahead of her, his displayed a coat of creamy hues, and his eyes icy, reflecting the rays of the sun. His fur was thick, and his features still – her own eyes found themselves upon a scar that was embedded upon his brow – hand Flora was immediately captivated by his long gaze upon her. Does he judge me already? She thought, before shaking from her brief trance.

Despite the matted appearance of some areas of the man, he continued to stand proud, aligning himself to the other two wolves – this man would no doubt have hidden strengths that Flora could only hope she’d come to know and understand. Ears twitched, and her tail swayed at her hind as she listened to his words. His mention of her calling Northfall her own home sounded luxurious, and for a moment she was stunned. Did he really just invite her into his home?I’d be honoured to call a place such as this mine.. However, I do plan on a little more research, I'd assume Northfall is not the only pack residing in this realm of luxury. Her gaze did not shift from the man as he spoke, asking her how she had come to end up here; I was dreaming… Honestly its still surreal to me that I’m even here – though I felt a familiarity which is what drew me to this place. She’d turn to express to the group that the bump to her head was no lie and she’d revealed this by lowering her crown, allowing for them to see the wound, visible by the fur on her crown, a small area which was now matted due to it drying out.

In this dream I was running… for what seemed like a lifetime. I feel... as if I haven’t exactly had the perfect start in life, but I don’t recall much of my past.... Perhaps my memories will return to me in due time. Her eyes moved towards Freya, Call me as you wish’ She mused towards the porcelain queen, before gazing down towards the small wolf below her. Sylvi was it? That’s a verry pretty name – fitting for such a gorgeous princess.

the staff team luvs u
Paladin
10-16-2022, 06:26 PM

The little warrior huffed in response to her mum's comment and grumbled under her breath. She wanted to be sure of her mother's safety. If she was left up to watch all of her siblings, she might lose it. But also, there was a pure fondness for Freya, who'd kept them all warm and snuggled up when needed, and sung them to sleep if the children were too rowdy. Of course she wanted to keep her safe — there was so much more to learn, so many more cuddles to be had. 

Freya attempted to keep her busy, and Sylvi took the bait, rolling onto her side and gently biting at her mother's paws, wriggling down in the snow. Now completely fixated on her mother and their playing time together. Her name called is the only thing that dragged her back into reality, now on her back, gazing at the upsidedown stranger. 

Pretty name? Princess? What was this stranger trying to do, insult her? Sylvi rolled back onto her stomach, but didn't get up, just wrinkling her nose and showing her canines to the other. "'m a warrior. Not a princess." Call her other sisters that all day, but she was not like them. She was different, built for the thrill of battle. 

the staff team luvs u
Adventurer
11-07-2022, 10:21 PM
Intrigue touched the two parents features as they both watched and listened to their confused visitor. It was as the both of them had expected, having met many others before in such a same state. It was how Freya had been met with Ragnar, too, having been pulled from her previous life by treachery and ambush.

“Of course,” He commented tk her first phase of words. “The tundra and mountain ranges below are vast, with many packs in between. Some have already come and gone, whilst others have thrived.” As had Northfall, despite the pound of war in the back of their skulls. War was never something which had struck fear in them to not continue to live still happily and freely. To some, it was worth running for the hills. “We are viking here and value knowledge which exploration offers.” He added, to allow her to know should she decide to call this land home, she was not a prisoner to it. Wherever she went, when she returned, be it with knowledge of others, with trade of goods or another seeking a home, it would all be beneficial to Northfall as a whole.

He listened on to her story, how she had hit her head and fell then into a deep dream of running and somehow this place had called to her, was familiar in some way. She had been running a path unknown to her and yet it had led her to Northfall. She even had the bump to prove it! Though dried and scabbed over, Ragnar could not quite tell if she had simply fallen and lost her memory or if the tumble had killed her and thus, she had awoken here.

His icy eyes shift from Flora and to Freya at his side, wondering what she made of this. That is when his ears fell back against his skull at Sylvi's words and a sheepish expression touched his features for Flora. “Sylvi,” He grumbled, “Why not both? I am King and so, that makes you a princess.” Whether she liked the title or not. Her goals were set, however, though it would be much more time before she could truly called herself 'warrior'. Princess for the time would have to do.
the staff team luvs u
scroll to top