Welcome to Canis Major

a wolf and animal rpg (role-playing game)

Canis is a writing community for play-by-post (forum-based), freeform roleplay set in a fictional dream world in the intrusion fantasy genre. Most characters on Canis are wolves; many play elements are focused around wolves and canids, but the world makes room for a large variety of other animal characters such as dogs, horses, cats, bears, deer, and many, many more.

Our community is focused on flexibility, creativity, and collaboration. That boils down to a few important features:

• There is no set activity requirement to write
  • The setting and plot are member-created and staff-supported
  • The game is continuously improved to increase fun and decrease stress

Learn more in our Rulebook!

Group Only
He was all you'd ever want

Afternoon Drizzle/Rain
Group Only
Dragonford Isles
10-03-2022, 05:31 PM (This post was last modified: 10-03-2022, 05:39 PM by Vendrussel. Edited 1 time in total.)
optional participation!
@Altair @Chasm @Villentretenmerth @Valtyr @Absinthe @Ghost @Olympia-Elune @Mirri @Saxa @Vedette @Campion @Jun @Baelfire

this would be set a day or so after THIS thread

"We have both new and old faces.. It has been some time since war has hung overhead, and many thoughts whether to change or move, and otherwise chances to fight. We stayed, and we protected ourselves — even through their ambushes. However it now seems the end is near, for word of the north has brought news." Vendrussel called the pack to inform them of this new development. She wondered how long had it been thought out, and who would be joining in this pleasure. She immediately knew surely Northfall would be there, and some part of her did think it was a trap.. But that one owl was not from their land, and smelled different. Smelled of Duskguard.

"Messengers had been sent, they have informed me there will be a court against my actions," an eye toward the newcomers, "it is no secret it started over territorial dispute on their end, but worsened, when I hastily had slain their yearling. It is a regret, that has long been cursed for over a year." If they had any questions, they were free to bring it up.

"I do not know what it will entail, but I will invite you all to join me. In due time, it will be held within Elsewhen, past Cloudrest. Whether soley my sins will be lain, or their actions as well, is a mystery. Even the Gods could not say what the outcome will be, and what the Court of the North will demand from me." She emphasized, they were not demanding the pack of Dragonford ; but solely of Vendrussel.

"When the time comes, I will call, and all can join."

the staff team luvs u
Medic
10-03-2022, 06:13 PM
He was largely quiet, unused to big group events outside of battles and sieges. Bae did not so much as a shuffle when Vendrussel spoke. His good and bad eyes focused on her. She spoke of slaying a yearling in a dispute. She spoke of Northfall and Dragonford. She spoke of a court being held to decide her fate. While he had questions about that — as in what would happen if something were to happen to her... He held his tongue until she stopped.

Bae cleared his throat. "If anyone requires some herbs to keep their strength up" the healer began, forcing his voice to be louder than he wanted "I have gathered some. It would be helpful for travel, especially if we meet a predator on the route." And, unsaid if this turned into an ambush from Northfall or their allies. Vendrussel probably assumed this, had thought of it... He didn't need to say it. The strength enhancements would tide anyone over who felt under the weather too.

Or was recovering from injury. But, mostly they kept their stamina up. No need to look haggard upon arrival at an important event. "I will participate; unless you require me to stay behind, Vendrussel." Looking after those who remained, protecting their land, etc etc. He would do as asked.

the staff team luvs u
[Image: 59631057_gcZT0fbEQJ1yZ2Q.png]
IF YOU CAN'T FIX WHAT'S BROKEN
WHAT ARE YOU THEN?
10-03-2022, 08:18 PM (This post was last modified: 10-03-2022, 08:20 PM by Chasm. Edited 1 time in total.)
Chasm had been out of the loop for the most part, he knew all from word of mouth and yet he still wasn't sure why Vendrussel had summoned them all. He had a bad feeling, like a discount sale price upon an item that was brand new. Odd, unusual, and nonsensical. He had stayed by himself as Vendrussel spoke, making sure his stretchy clothed band looked as tight upon his muzzle as possible. Like a kid with ear buds, he did not want to be addressed. The words that Vendrussel said would proceed to shock him, causing his mouth to agape wide open, eyes wide.

Vendrussel was a wolf he admired. In terms of shows, she was like the mentor figure that allowed him to grow and gain footing. She was motivation and a goal to strive for. Now it was sinking in that she was about to be persecuted for war crimes, he didn't realize their story was going to be featured in judge *udy! Would *hoenix *right be a better comparison. Either way he had to immediately speak. 

Chasm was young and inexperienced, the grim realities of the setting he was placed into were finally seeping in. Before he would have felt excited for the exposition in his plot. But this was no game and the stakes were true and brutal. Reality really was scarier than fiction.

"This is ridiculous!" He exclaimed, the views he kept mostly to himself (except for his encounter upon Sindri), leaked out. "This war is pointless for both sides! Instead of talking among ourselves we look for retribution and vengeance?! An eye for an eye never solves anything. This court will go nowhere because no one wants to let go and be vulnerable enough for a true discussion. I am sick of it all!" His eyes watered, voice straight and true for once as he took a few steps closer to face Vendrussel. "You'll get hurt or worse if you go!" He got even closer, a few tears finally leaving his face. The tough-act he had was gone, his true feelings being exposed to all for once. He could not bare the idea of his teacher, his leader, and his friend, facing such a scary fate. He was sure the outburst was surprising, but he really did care and worry and love this pack and all in it. He couldn't even feel ill-will with Northfall. They were just trying to live their lives too. "I...Ven...please...don't go. Lets just move the pack." His voice was quiet, shaky, fragile. He was pleading, he didn't care how stupid he looked, this court summons would not go well. He could feel it in his bones.
the staff team luvs u
10-06-2022, 01:40 AM

Worry stained a pale face that seldom ever showed it. Her announcement was concerning that she should stand before people who had attacked them outright and without warning before. They would surely harm her- if not kill her.

Campion would stand beside her no matter her decision.

"There is no knowing if such court will be safe. They will be biased and push to kill you- I'm sure!" The man's sultry and western accent was more prominent now in his worry. Caring not if his words were very clear, just that his voice be heard.

"I wouldn't want to rob you of a land you own but, perhaps we should just lie low awhile." He echoed what Chasm suggested in solidarity. Though the man worried if his words would stick through a gathering and talking crowd.

the staff team luvs u
[Image: WF32jc7.png]
The Wild still lingered in him and the wolf in him merely slept.
Counsellor
10-07-2022, 05:17 PM (This post was last modified: 10-18-2022, 05:13 PM by Villentretenmerth. Edited 2 times in total.)
When the wolves of Dragonford were summoned, Villentretenmerth answered with his presence. He looked briefly around the group as he joined them before his blue-green gaze lingered a little longer on the Alphess. The gilded brute dipped her muzzle to her, respectful, then assumed his place among those who had gathered.

Vendrussel spoke of wartime, and that the time had come to be judged for her crime. He perked his smooth ears in familiarity at the announcement of a "court". He'd seen his own share of trials in another lifetime, had played several different roles and witnessed from all angles. Dragondford's leader had never denied her involvement in the death of a Northfall youth, though he couldn't shake the doubt that a jury of her peers would accept her reasoning.

A young wolf cried out against the plan, and Villentretenmerth eyed him coolly. He was emotional in his plea, throat hoarse with what he assumed to be fear. He was right to be, the blonde brute thought, for things could definitely end badly for Vendrussel. He frowned deeply as another shared concerns that a court could be something of a trap, a way to lure the Alphess from her ford and place her in a vulnerable position. He inhaled deep. “If we flee,” he began, “then we accept that Vendrussel is guilty, as does the world. Absconding is not the answer.” He tread carefully with his words; he was new to Dragondford and he did not expect them to trust him, but he hoped to provide a level head. His eyes sought the face of his leader, “you must go.” She knew that already, he felt, “and if you wish for support, then you shall have mine.” He would go with her and stand with her for as long as she had need of him.

the staff team luvs u
Paladin
10-10-2022, 08:21 PM

She is there as soon as Vendrussel makes the call. Her faith never wavering in Vendrussel, in the Ford. This was her home and these wolves, now her family. Whatever that meant. 

The dusk dragon sat near their newest member @Villentretenmerth, watching those around them either agree or protest in moving. Her jaw was set, irritation in her face. They'd been over this before. If they left, they'd be admitting fault, basically giving Vendrussel to those in the North, and Vedette would not let her go without a fight. 

Once the new member spoke, Vedette chuffed in response, agreeing with him. "You know my thoughts, Commander." Her voice rough, like she'd been yelling all night, "My faith is in you. In us. In what's right." Even though her resting bitch face, with her eyes set on Ven, emotion peered through. A toughness you'd only see in those who went to war and had friends taken from them — a strength that knew she wouldn't let it happen to Ven, or anyone in the Ford. "If you go to the North, so do I." After all, where was a soldier to go if not behind their General? 

the staff team luvs u
10-15-2022, 07:27 PM (This post was last modified: 10-15-2022, 07:28 PM by Absinthe. Edited 2 times in total.)
 Absinthe was late arriving; but he had come, and that was what mattered. He only hoped that Vendrussel did not take offense to his tardiness, for her view of him was the only he cared for.

Sifting through the assembly, he pushed to where he could be seen. A dark statuette, silent and discontent. All this talk of war and courts. He liked none of it, as he could image Vendrussel didn't either. 

He listened as each spoke their piece — some with more to share than others. But when all fell silent, the dark dragon finally cleared his throat to speak. “Since the day the sea returned me to the isles, I vowed to always stand with you-” His eyes fixated solely upon Vendrussel, heavy and sharp like his words. “I do not intend to break that promise now. If you choose to go, you can count on my presence at your flank.” Perhaps for some, the decision of where he stood would have been up to the alpha, but he would not wait for such a thing. He would stand where he felt he was needed. And now, that place was at her side to ensure she was far from harms way. 

the staff team luvs u
'' The rain is my escape. When it falls, so does the wall concealing my identity from the world. It the only time I can truly be me and dance in the rain, nothing but free. ''
10-17-2022, 09:44 PM
She looked at Chasm who plead and begged, though fearless that she named him, in truth he wasn't so. She hoped he would harness this though — and yet Vendrussel understood his stance, "An eye for an eye will never make it, but whose to say if we leave, they will not try and find us? I know what I had done and did, it was not honorable by the laws of these lands and my own thoughts of regret of so — a change and warp to how I was raised and learned through. I could've done more, could've prevented ; but now we can." Her tail flickered, a strained smile.

"As Villentretenmerth said," a mouthful, "fleeing will make us — me, look guilty. My sin stands, but what of their own deeds? Whose to say we will be the last?" She had to breath, a deep, deep breath through her chest and out the mouth. They had discussed, they mourned, they argued ; some even left over what occurred, and in the end..

She was determined to see through this.

the staff team luvs u
10-18-2022, 12:32 AM
He felt a ripple of some irritation. His offer fell flat in the face of Vendrussel's plight, but that was fine. He accepted there were more things to worry about; even if nobody even acknowledged him or looked his way. Bae felt a bit invisible at the moment, so he only addressed the storm-hued woman; their leader. The events did not interest him so much; he felt it was something she had to own up to. Running away would solve nothing.

"I will prepare some of those traveling herbs for the road. For anyone."

He made a point to say again, before lifting himself and excusing himself in one fell swoop. No reason to stick around if nobody was going to even say 'hello'. Bae wasn't the most friendly guy, but even he felt that was a bit rude. Giving a nod of his head to Vendrussel, he left to do exactly what he said. Back to his den, back to the cache. Prepare the traveling herbs and prepare himself mentally for this... Judgment. If one could call it that. He was quite sure Northfall was just as guilty in some aspects.

/exit

the staff team luvs u
[Image: 59631057_gcZT0fbEQJ1yZ2Q.png]
IF YOU CAN'T FIX WHAT'S BROKEN
WHAT ARE YOU THEN?
Counsellor
10-18-2022, 05:34 PM (This post was last modified: 10-18-2022, 05:34 PM by Villentretenmerth. Edited 1 time in total.)
A she-wolf close to him gave voice to her support of his announcement, and Villentretenmerth lifted his chin. He knew he was not wrong, perhaps arrogantly so; running from one's problems was never the answer. They always seemed to catch up to them in the end, and it was a far braver thing to square shoulders and brace for impact. He listened quietly as a another, one with a darkened pelt, reminded Vendrussel of the vow he'd made upon his arrival to the ford, though his gaze and focus remained primarily on the Alphess.

She welcomed their camaraderie, their loyalty. She valued it. He could see it in the blue gleam of her eyes, the brief upward tug of her lips.

It was then that the teal-eyed dragon swept his gaze from his leader to glance toward each of his pack-mates, even the herbalist who sought to make a swift exit. They did not entirely agree with one another, but their willingness to stand with their commander was admirable. Villentretenmerth felt pride swell within his chest to have found himself among them. No matter the outcome, he was confident that they would make it through.

“Long live Dragondford,” he barked, gathering to his paws.

the staff team luvs u
Paladin
10-25-2022, 09:13 PM

Vedette's mouth stayed in a firm line, her burning orange eyes surveying around them, waiting for anyone to step out of place or say something untoward. Though, the remarks never came. A new dragon of the Ford remarked he'd be gathering herbs for the trip, and seemingly, the group started to disperse after that. "Long live the Ford." The woman hummed in response, lifting herself from the ground to return to her border patrol. Recently, she'd seen more activity on the Brim, and yet, was ordered not to be violent towards anyone, Vendrussel's rules. The dusk dragon's shoulders slacked, but her mind still set on war. There would not be a time she'd be caught off guard, even if she had to sleep on those damned rocks. She'd be aware if any harm ever breached their waters, and she'd be there, welcoming it with her keen teeth. 

the staff team luvs u
scroll to top