Welcome to Canis Major

a wolf and animal rpg (role-playing game)

Canis is a writing community for play-by-post (forum-based), freeform roleplay set in a fictional dream world in the intrusion fantasy genre. Most characters on Canis are wolves; many play elements are focused around wolves and canids, but the world makes room for a large variety of other animal characters such as dogs, horses, cats, bears, deer, and many, many more.

Our community is focused on flexibility, creativity, and collaboration. That boils down to a few important features:

• There is no set activity requirement to write
  • The setting and plot are member-created and staff-supported
  • The game is continuously improved to increase fun and decrease stress

Learn more in our Rulebook!

P
spirit of the old west

Afternoon Partly Cloudy
P
09-27-2022, 09:56 PM
ooc; set before the festival, kept vague

Cassius was off doing something, but Tallulah knew she couldn't hold his paw forever. It was time to try settling down in Elysium. If he wanted to join her, he would come. After traveling for a bit, seeing sights, and meeting new folks... She figured it was better than being alone and on the proverbial road forever. Calling for Ms. @Valeska in particular, she walked to the border and sat before it again.

Better late than never. 

Tallulah waited until the pale woman drifted into sight. Her tail wagged, chuffing to alert Ms. Valeska to her position. Folks could walk the border and see no one until they did, she reckoned. It was a long border. "Howdy, ma'am" she smiled politely "I think it's time to join for true." She waited for the alpha to deny or accept — though she didn't think she'd be rejected. Elysium had been good to her. It was time to repay.

the staff team luvs u
[Image: 53568461_UCgDR8zToPO5WLQ.png]
FALLING TOO FAST TO PREPARE FOR THIS
TRIPPING IN THIS WORLD COULD BE DANGEROUS
Misc Skill
09-27-2022, 10:38 PM
It was pleasant, not having to work so hard to gather up things for the next event. Knowing @Urszula held the reigns for the majority of the festivities this season took an enormous weight off her shoulders, allowing her to focus on other tasks such as gathering the odd carcass and straightening up a few items here and there as she happened upon them.

She did notice the decor was themed a touch darker than usual - there were definitely more antlers and deer skulls than the last time - but, to her surprise, they didn't seem out of place at all. Autumn always held a strange, eerie feeling as the season deepened, and Fate's Respite was already prone to collecting fog and heavy mists over the lake.

It worked.

Presently, she was picking up the remains of a large rattlesnake skull, thinking it might look rather fetching near the dens, perhaps wreathed by a small ring of flowers.

A polite chuff caught her ear, and she dutifully turned to head toward its source. Thankfully the sound hadn't come from very far away, and as she crested the small hill to forge her way through some thicker underbrush, she quickly saw its originator. Tallulah! How lovely. She placed the delicate skull at her paws, nodding her head in greeting.

“Hello, my friend,” Valeska returned, tail wagging in tandem. She opened her mouth to ask how the woman was doing, when Tallulah reached the point quite quickly.

“Oh! Join us?” the silver wolf said, eyes flying open in surprise. A broad grin spread immediately across her face, and she looked absolutely thrilled. “That is wonderful! We would be delighted to welcome you into our home as one of our own - what has changed your mind?”

the staff team luvs u
[Image: m7jPOzS.png]
09-27-2022, 11:58 PM
"Well," Perhaps it was time to just continue being honest "I asked 'round, and Elysium suits me more" It was also the truth "I figure if some others from me old world show up, they'd like it too" And therefore, more members for the pack "it ain't strict and ye don't have lots o' rules. Just common sense, aye." Ms. Valeska seemed thrilled at the idea, and Tallulah blushed a bit. She wasn't used to such enthusiasm.

Her head slipped politely, giving a formal bow to her new leader. "So put me where ya see fit, I ain't one fer ranks... Some of me memory came back. I... was part of a community. One of many. We lived by our own rules, guided by the heads of our family" But she couldn't remember her own still "I think Elysium makes me honor me old home, but allows me to live in t' future too. Being in a pack ain't what I grew up in, but I'll try me best, Ms. Valeska."

If not, she could excuse herself before she was embarrassed.

the staff team luvs u
09-28-2022, 02:54 AM
The High Priestess chuckled at that, knowing well the appeal of having only a few rules versus a tight ship. Her own late father had been the complete opposite of herself, particularly toward the end of his life; he had grown paranoid, obsessive. No one was allowed to leave the pack, and he refused to move them from the bitter mountainside and its raging snowstorms as prey grew scarce, and so with his stubbornness came the end of their kin. By the end of it all, it was only Valeska and her father Dimas - until he, too, soon passed away, consumed by his own fury.

That was a story for another time, and she didn't want to weigh the girl down with heavy histories.

“Where I grew up, we had many rules,” she said somewhat vaguely, her tone losing its usual lightness. “I did not want to repeat my family's mistakes. A rigid way of life is not one worth living when it is so precious and short already.”

Valeska suppressed an awkward smile, seeing Tallulah bow, and waved a paw with some embarrassment at the gesture. “Oh, no, do not worry about ranks - they are merely titles to inform others where your strengths lie, should you like to pursue them. No great privileges or snobbishness beyond practicing a high skill level, representation when Amara and I are unavailable, and being better able to aid one's packmates should they require it.”

She tilted her head to the side, then, and eyed her new friend curiously.

“Where do you feel that you shine?”

the staff team luvs u
09-28-2022, 02:22 PM
She moved on, but had listened. Valeska didn't seem to want to continue the history of her past, and that was fine with Tallulah. She also didn't, because she couldn't remember more. She also noticed the embarrassment with her short bow. Lifting her head up, her eyes twinkled with some amusement. "I don't bow easily, ma'am" she informed her "just means ya earned it, not that ya forced it." She chuckled warmly.

The prospect of being labeled was nerving though. She frowned, trying to think of her skill sets. "I like ta wander, scout, and meet new folks" But also "I can fight and defend, patrol" And finally "I like ta hunt" Tallulah shot Ms. Valeska a pained but amused look, lifting a brow "basically physical skills" Though "I don't rightly have a preference. Maybe huntin' more than others, 'cause it'll be useful ta feed the pack." And winter came soon.

the staff team luvs u
Misc Skill
09-29-2022, 04:25 AM
If she hadn't been covered in so much white fluff, Tallulah would have seen Valeska blush bright red beneath her furred cheeks. Although she was technically the leader of their humble pack, she didn't really ascribe to the traditional values of an 'Alpha'; she preferred to think of herself more akin to a shepherd tending her flock. She did not enjoy command, nor did she revel in shows of respect and admiration - but she could recognize a friendly gesture when she saw one, and didn't feel the need to argue the point.

Respect given freely was respect that must go unchallenged.

“Well, it is my desire to continue to deserve your kind words,” she said awkwardly, glancing down at her paws. She still didn't know how to take a compliment.

The woman mercifully shifted the conversation back to a more pointed subject: that of her particular skill sets. Valeska listened intently, nodding along, offering a 'hum' here and there to show she was thinking about it. While their newest member may not have necessarily cared for ranks or promotion, it was helpful to place her packmates in areas where they might flourish and hone their skills to the best of their ability - for Tallulah definitely didn't seem to be the lazy sort.

“I think Windseeker might suit you best - they are our fastest wolves, and they excel in the hunt for their stealth as much as their swiftness,” she mused, studying her companion carefully to gauge her reaction. “They also may act as scouts, as you say. Would you be interested? @Urszula is our other Windseeker; perhaps you might hunt together before the festival and help collect food for the pack.”

the staff team luvs u
09-29-2022, 04:02 PM
"Ye'll be t' first to know when ya ain't." Tallulah chuckled again, a little joke but also the truth. She didn't like to keep her feelings locked inside; it caused them to stew and bubble into something untoward. If she had a problem, Ms. Valeska or Ms. Amaranth would be the first to know. She owed it to be honest with them, considering they had with her from the start.

The rank of Windseeker was given to her or rather offered. "I've no issue" she responded, a short nod for physical confirmation. It seemed to suit her anyway, and who better than Ms. Valeska to gift her it? "aye, I'll start a few hunts... See who shows up" Hunting was usually hit or miss as a loner, but what would a pack hunt be like? "and..."

She glanced past the woman to the den near the border she had been using. "I'll keep usin' that den there if it's okay? I figure it'll be easier to store me things away from the bulk of Elysium's curious eyes." She smiled, amused at the reaction to her hat and scarf so far. Well, more so her hat than anything.

the staff team luvs u
Misc Skill
09-29-2022, 05:55 PM
“Ye'll be t' first to know when ya ain't.”

Some might have taken offense, but Valeska saw it in a positive light. She much preferred directness over secret thoughts and hidden distaste, and the brown mottled wolf fit right in with her desire for honesty above all else.

Tallulah seemed to accept her new title with little fuss, which brought the Priestess some relief. It would have felt like they would still be keeping her as an 'outsider' of sorts without some kind of title or skill class, so to speak, and this way she might feel more like part of the whole.

“Excellent!” she said merrily, “I believe I have sent Urszula off to begin collecting items to display around the packlands for our Autumn Equinox, but it should not be much trouble to find her. She is particularly skilled in removing pelts - perhaps you two might also be able to collaborate.”

Valeska moved to gather up the snake skull she had collected, when her companion hesitated - and asked if she might keep her den at the outskirts of their home.

“Oh, of course you may,” she laughed dismissively, “You may make your home anywhere you wish. Privacy is allowed, though it may not seem like it with our social natures and general nosiness.”

The last part she said teasingly, giving her a playful bump with her shoulder as she did so. She at last collected the skull between her fangs and made to leave, giving Tallulah a pleased look; while she could have stayed indefinitely as a loner, it felt good giving her a true home - at least until the woman might find a way back to her own, if anyone could at all.

the staff team luvs u
scroll to top