Welcome to Canis Major

a wolf and animal rpg (role-playing game)

Canis is a writing community for play-by-post (forum-based), freeform roleplay set in a fictional dream world in the intrusion fantasy genre. Most characters on Canis are wolves; many play elements are focused around wolves and canids, but the world makes room for a large variety of other animal characters such as dogs, horses, cats, bears, deer, and many, many more.

Our community is focused on flexibility, creativity, and collaboration. That boils down to a few important features:

• There is no set activity requirement to write
  • The setting and plot are member-created and staff-supported
  • The game is continuously improved to increase fun and decrease stress

Learn more in our Rulebook!

But then i wake up… again

Early Morning Partly Cloudy
Adventurer
09-18-2022, 11:06 PM (This post was last modified: 09-26-2022, 12:26 AM by Nexus Vulpus. Edited 3 times in total.)
Right in between Maelstrom Bay and Sundance Grove! FYI: This a formation thread! If you’re looking to join That of Stargazers, take a look at their interest check!

She’d ventured from the bay, heading northeast in an attempt to skirt around whichever pack may be taking their claim nearby. It was too early for relations — negative or positive — for That of Stargazers, in Nexus’s opinion.

But, it was never too early to recruit, right?

Well, perhaps it was, as the sun had barely risen yet, and she and her new… companion? Partner? Mate? Hadn’t had much time to really discuss what this could really… be, but that was the fun part!; not being able to predict or control how a concept might flourish, and that was what the woman loved.

So, she’d venture, hoping it’d be as easy as finding someone stargazing, and then inviting them to her pack, where stargazing is like… a job, or something.

the staff team luvs u
3-2-3 Rated.
Ecologist
09-26-2022, 12:16 AM (This post was last modified: 09-27-2022, 02:59 PM by Nikita. Edited 2 times in total.)
ooc; i hope this was the right thread lol

The early mornings refused to allow the stars out. They were now locked behind, with Lady Moon, the sun, and His brightness. Nikita wandered a bit from the Mountains, having skirted the Plains and entered this new location. Her eyes locked onto the frame of a greyscale woman. She chuffed to alert the other she was here, with her tail wagging, and approached. 

This could be the beginning of yet another friendly socialization! "Hello," she dreamily said, stretching her jaws into a wide yawn "oh, pardon me... I slept restlessly" Nikki stopped a distance away, planting her paws and refusing to go closer. Just in case the woman wasn't as friendly as the bluebell assumed. Snapping her jaws shut, she smiles kindly and tilts her head "it's a nice morning though, no?"

the staff team luvs u
Ecologist
09-26-2022, 12:25 AM (This post was last modified: 09-26-2022, 12:26 AM by Nexus Vulpus. Edited 1 time in total.)
It is! <3

It didn’t take long for her to be found, a woman of midnight approaching her, though stoping at an appropriate distance. Nexus nodded her head with a smile. A recruit? Perhaps… “Hi there,” The seer hummed.

"oh, pardon me... I slept restlessly" The woman said after a yawn, and she could only chuckle and nod. She, too, was quite tired after the long night with Caligo. It’d truly been… something. “Of course. I too slept… poorly. I was up all night stargazing…” Perhaps this stranger would have similar interests.

And then, the woman asked if it was a fine morning, and Nexus gave a small shrug. “I suppose so, though, as always, I’d prefer to be under the stars,” With Caligo. “But there’s not much you can do. I’m Nexus, you?”

the staff team luvs u
3-2-3 Rated.
Ecologist
Visionary
09-26-2022, 07:27 PM (This post was last modified: 09-27-2022, 02:59 PM by Nikita. Edited 1 time in total.)
Nikki kept her smile pleasant. Sometimes, others easily guessed the hobbies and interests she had by just looking at her. She was one of the stars, the night, swathed in their colors. When the woman mentioned the stars directly and not just once but twice, she could not help but pique a bit inwardly. Do you need something of me, I wonder? Good or bad?

"The Lord Sun gives His energy to the day so that nature grows" Nikki began "but only the Lady Moon appreciates His gesture, and therefore Her creatures do as well, fully at night." It stood to reason they saw beauty more during the dusk and night hours. Nexus introduced herself shortly after. It caused the wolf mix to nod, lowering her head somewhat.

"Nikita" she hummed, her tail swaying once more "a pleasure to meet you, Nexus."

the staff team luvs u
09-27-2022, 03:08 AM

"The Lord Sun gives His energy to the day so that nature grows, but only the Lady Moon appreciates His gesture, and therefore Her creatures do as well, fully at night." Curious. Was this some sort of religion? Nexus tilted her head; she wanted to learn. It sounded… nice.

“Is this…” She began, flicking her tail in an attempt to muster the words. She didn’t want to say religion, that sounded too intense, but if she said belief, that’d sound mocking… “Your, uh, Pantheon?” That.. worked? She hoped, anyway. "Nikita. A pleasure to meet you, Nexus."

The woman smiled. “You too, Nikita. Would you… like to walk with me? While the clouds may cover the sky, it’s dawn nonetheless. As much as I speak about them, the stars may still be out. Do they call to you, too?” Nexus had certainly begun talking a lot more ever since… last night? Probably the best in her life, really.

the staff team luvs u
3-2-3 Rated.
Visionary
Ecologist
09-27-2022, 03:08 PM
"Not quite" Nikki grins cheerfully, patient "the moon and the sun are real objects. Pantheons are oft sustained by a belief in deities we cannot see" It was terribly different in her humble opinion "I associate Lady Moon as a motherly force, cradling a sort of harsh reality Lord Sun made. Respite and comfort are feminine things. Facing anything, brave or foolish, is often masculine. It could be the opposite; They could be switched. I have not had a long conversation with either." She giggles.

Nexus would offer company, and Nikki was only too eager to take her up on it. She moved gracefully and whimsically to the greyscale woman. "I think all of the nature calls to me" she replied "but I'm more in tune with Lady Moon and the water and shiny things. Like stars, or pretty shells" She grinned widely now, not at all shamed "I try to take as little as possible from it" Respect was a two-way street after all! "even though it's very hard." Shiny objects would be squirreled away at times.

Only to be put back. A long dance. She giggles again. "If I had a den, it'd be full of interesting and shiny things."

the staff team luvs u
10-06-2022, 04:25 AM
Sorry for the wait! Nexus muse has been... very low :'/

Ah, so, the motherly moon, and the fatherly (flames?) sun, that made sense. They weren't deities, but rather personified objects that already existed, Nexus guessed, though she also assumed that it wouldn't be unlikely that her assumption may be far from the truth.

Nikita was quick to assumed her place near Nexus, and the stormy-furred woman was glad for the company. She felt awfully lonely without her companion, @Caligo, but having another by her side managed to comfort that void, even if only by a bit. No one would be able to top the memory of she and the pale man under the willow tree... No, that was one of her favourite memories here.. so far.

"I think all of the nature calls to me, but I'm more in tune with Lady Moon and the water and shiny things. Like stars, or pretty shells." Huh, it seemed they aligned pretty well. Stars? Perhaps Nikita would be interested in a group that was completely devoted to such a thing. Well... saying devoted made the group sound like a cult, and that could be further from the truth, but Nexus had some ideas for the pack relating to such a concept...

"I try to take as little as possible from it, even though it's very hard." Nexus smiled. She knew such a feeling, wanting something, yet being afraid to ask. Or, well, maybe that was a personal thing... with a specific person. The woman suppressed a chuckle at the very thought of her special someone. "If I had a den, it'd be full of interesting and shiny things."

“I could help, y'know,” She began. Recruiting was always hard, and pretty awkward, she knew; even though she hadn't, ah, done it before. “My–” Uh, what to call him?
“–Partner and I are working on starting a pack where we travel and follow the stars. It sounds like you might like something like that..? Of course, there's no pressure to join us, just... keep us in mind, yeah?” Nexus laughed, trying to soften the awkwardness that might come with such an offer.

the staff team luvs u
3-2-3 Rated.
10-06-2022, 07:08 PM
She had a feeling it would come to this. Nikki hummed inwardly, wondering if she fits with this concept or if Nexus was desperate to collect members regardless. She couldn't perceive everything! The poor woman seemed to awkwardly recruit, as if not used to the song and dance. "Hmm, I appreciate the offer" she turned to look at the other wolf "though it'd be very foolish to accept and not meet your partner as well. Maybe we wouldn't mesh. Maybe we've met and didn't hit it off. There are so many factors."

She leaned back a bit, staring at the morning sky. "Perhaps it is fickle, but I don't like to rush into things" Nikki tried to explain this so Nexus wouldn't feel sad "if you could also tell me more about your group? Like, what location would you claim or... rules and regulations. That sort of thing?" She, again, didn't want to rush. Rushing led to regret, and she wanted to make sure she could have friends outside of the forming pack. Like Duskguard. She made a few acquaintances there. If Nexus and/or her partner didn't like Duskguard... She'd have issue joining.

the staff team luvs u
scroll to top