Welcome to Canis Major

a wolf and animal rpg (role-playing game)

Canis is a writing community for play-by-post (forum-based), freeform roleplay set in a fictional dream world in the intrusion fantasy genre. Most characters on Canis are wolves; many play elements are focused around wolves and canids, but the world makes room for a large variety of other animal characters such as dogs, horses, cats, bears, deer, and many, many more.

Our community is focused on flexibility, creativity, and collaboration. That boils down to a few important features:

• There is no set activity requirement to write
  • The setting and plot are member-created and staff-supported
  • The game is continuously improved to increase fun and decrease stress

Learn more in our Rulebook!

P
Playing hooky

Sunrise Partly Cloudy
P
Elysium
Medic
08-29-2022, 10:40 PM (This post was last modified: 11-01-2022, 06:15 PM by Valeska. Edited 2 times in total.)
She made sure to leave as quietly and carefully as possible.

Valeska had hardly left the pups unattended since their birth, nor had she left the perimeter of Fate's Respite. It made sense, of course; they were young and vulnerable and needed their (more responsible) mother, but now that they were a very mobile three months old and making their own mischief, she felt secure enough to sneak out at last.

Silent paws threaded their way out from the den and into the early morning sun, blinking as she breathed in the peace and quiet. Harper was den-bound at the moment, so she thought it might be nice to find her something she'd appreciate - she had a fairly limited knowledge of herbs as a whole, but prolonged coexistence with her sister made sure that she picked up a few helpful tidbits.

As the pale wolf crossed over into the general mountainous region, still careful not to stray too far, she eventually spied something red in the distance. A cluster of little crimson flowers - Red Columbine, as she recognized them - waved enticingly in the gentle breeze, growing beneath a small gathering of trees in the shade. Valeska recalled they were good for stomachaches, and recalling her own experiences with early child-rearing, she thought they might be useful to Harper.

Movement flashed at the corner of her eye - but it was probably just nerves. She hadn't been out and about in quite some time, after all.

the staff team luvs u
[Image: m7jPOzS.png]
09-16-2022, 04:31 PM

The home… her pack… the familiar faces had all but disappeared into the abyss. She waited for them in the Temperate, looking fractiously. She had been sure… surely she was not mistaken. The scent lingered but it was as if it was a ghost - stagnant but unreachable. Her spine began to tingle as she could feel her shoulders grow heavy. She had not meant for them to leave her behind… had her memories returned then perhaps they would have invited her along with their travels. Did they head to the other realm without her, Olympia only felt like a distant memory over the few stagnant years she had been here.

Blinking momentarily into the darkening shroud of where the Pantheon had taken their roots. She had only herself to blame, she should not have left without a word of her disappearance. It would assume that they would belong to her memories as well. The second half of her story would not be dwelling on the past, she had intentions of living her life how she had intended to as a goddess. Booze. Amphitrite, the goddess of the sea, turned her back to the forest. Starting her travels back to the mountains, telling herself not to cry over those who did not bat an eye when they found she was absent.

The mountains were not far off, a few days of a trip and she was back… it seemed as though she was more comfortable in the familiarity of the trees. Amphitrite was stripped of her title as a goddess, she had tried her best to forget those memories that lingered within her mind. It was unfair to return to her when she was back to being alone. The cruelty of life… wishing nothing more than to create more brooding and unhappiness in the woman. A deepened breath hitched into her chest, before pushing it out through her agape mouth in a sigh. It was a new beginning and she would try to bring light to the situation she was in. The keyword would be to try.

She shifted her form, moving to a sitting position as she felt the rumble against her stomach. A paw rested on the empty morsel - continuously calling out to be fed. Grumbling to herself as she had been on her feet all day, she began to search for what would become her lunch. Her tail would swish behind her as her nose fell to the ground.

Sniffing deeper into the earth she followed a scent she was unfamiliar with. Holding a perfume scent as she padded off towards the mystery stench. Pulling her head back up as she sniffed straight into the pollen of a flower, her nose became irritant. Her eyes went wide momentarily before falling behind her lids, “A-choooo!” She bellowed out, loud enough to make a wandering creature curious about the noise. Shaking her head she soon began to let out another sneeze. Until it became so unbearable she had to move away from the flowers, “Ugh, stupid flowers.” She said between sniffs.

the staff team luvs u
Medic
09-17-2022, 06:17 PM
If not for the fact that she was already mostly white and that her tender pink skin was swathed beneath layers of thick fur, Valeska would have turned white as a sheet.

Every hair stood on end at the sound of the sneeze, echoing through the surrounding landscape like a gunshot from a high-caliber rifle. She stood absolutely motionless for a time, too stunned to force her body back into motion as her brain remained engaged in a primal defensive state, unblinking and unseeing as she waited for the perceived threat to pass.

The seconds rolled by as she gradually relaxed once more, looking slightly disheveled but a little more like herself again. Sacred Wolf Mother - that was a shock. Shaking out her fur, she listened curiously for the source of the fright, and caught the tail-end of someone muttering bitterly toward a cluster of flowers. Valeska turned and spied the owner of said voice, and carefully made her way closer; there had been quite a lot of activity in the surrounding area of late, and she was keen to meet all who passed by out of curiosity more than anything else.

“You also do not agree with the change of the seasons?” she said with a small grin. “I would recommend rosemary for that - my sister is an herbs-expert, and she said it helps to reduce the inflaming of the lungs and reduce such reactions. If you would like, we can find some to assist?”

Clearing her throat, she added: “Apologies. My name is Valeska, and I live nearby. I was searching for herbs for her just presently, as it happens, but I heard you and thought I would introduce myself.”

the staff team luvs u
09-18-2022, 07:09 PM

Her nostrils flared, trying her best not to breathe in more of the pollen, stiffening her form as she soon took in a deepened breath. Only to instantly let it out in a sputtering of spit and not. Not the most attractive introduction a woman could give. Usually she was so stoic and poised in her movements but now she found herself a mess. Sniffling, she opened her gaze to a soft voice, one that carried rather close in proximity. She wondered how she was not affected by the treacherous pollen that crowded around them. Amphitrite trying to hold her composure, quickly nodded at her observation of the seasons not agreeing.

Breathing in quickened breaths as she tried her best to keep from spraying the individual with snot. Beckoning the other to follow her, they soon had lost sight of the flowers and she breathed in the fresher mountain air. Relief wavering over her form as she checked herself, trying to prevent the drips of bodily fluids from her nose. She gave a laugh, “Goodness, what a way to introduce myself. Apologies if I managed to… erm… get you back there.” Sniffling she had slowly begun to return back to normal.

She remembered her speaking about a plant that would help with the inflammation of her allergies. Her eyes widened as she wagged her tail, “I had no use for medical properties in my other realm, well, unless you knew a good hangover concoction. The amount of booze I had to drink just to be able to stand my -.” She paused abruptly, knowing that the past would no longer be a part of her presence. Clearing her throat she offered the woman a smile, “Yes, I would love to gather some - Rosemary?” She questioned, making sure she got the herb right, “However, we will need to avoid those flowers.” She laughed.

Unsure where they grew or what they actually looked like, her stomach had grumbled once more. Remembering why she was searching around the mountains to begin with. Shuffling her paw to press against her stomach trying to quiet the hunger that demanded to be extinguished, “Oh, I am Amphitrite. A pleasure to meet you Valeska.” My wasn’t she lucky to have been seen by her, “Your scent smells familiar, I am sure I have passed by your lands in my month of being here. I just got back… after losing my own pack. Thought it would be a good opportunity to search for anew.”

the staff team luvs u
Medic
09-18-2022, 07:22 PM
Honestly, it wasn't as bad as Amphitrite imagined.

Valeska was a mother. A relatively new-ish mother, even now, with her pups walking and talking and rummaging where little noses ought not to be, but at this point she had been sprayed with so many different bodily secretions, she remained utterly unfazed. There was nothing on this earth that could disturb her in that manner, whether it was blood or snot or other, less desirable fluids - and even though she did feel a light misting of mucus from her new acquaintance, she hardly even blinked.

Parenthood was a trial by fire.

The poor woman seemed to suffer enormously from the change of seasons, sniffling and wheezing with every step as she fought to retain her composure. Valeska didn't particularly mind, as she herself had plenty of embarrassing experiences in new company - this was hardly the worst. Besides, she was clearly in anguish, and more than anything she just wanted to help out.

“Do not be worried - I have five children at home, and anything that comes from a nose is hardly worth getting upset over,” she quipped with a light chuckle. The stranger mentioned 'another realm', which, prior to this world, would have had Valeska wondering if she was quite all right in the head, but at this point seemed a matter of course. She nodded along, but stopped when she said the word 'booze'.

It sounded exotic.

“What is - booze?”

But they continued on their walk as they spoke, and at last, the spied something that looked wonderfully familiar hiding behind a cluster of bushes. Rosemary - a nice fat wad of it, too, growing up in tall stalks with its strange little leaves. She smiled and gestured the woman over. “Here - this should assist,” she said, sitting down. Harper had used it herself with the blooming of new vegetation every few months, and seeing how much relief it had brought, the High Priestess naturally took to it as well.

Amphitrite - that was her name. Valeska had never heard it before, and wondered what its origin might be, but didn't want to pressure her by nosing around in a past she may not necessarily want to speak of. “It is nice to meet you. You say you lost your pack here - what - happened?”

the staff team luvs u
09-19-2022, 03:40 PM (This post was last modified: 09-19-2022, 03:40 PM by Amphitrite.)

Apart from feeling empty about her newfound knowledge of the possibility that she may never see her friends again… she had thought to look at the grass that was on the horizon. It was a mental journey that she would need to take - though seeming so far. She knew it would only be a matter of time before her sour thoughts would be replaced by peace. Maybe it was for the best that they all went their separate ways. It was only a matter of time before someone had figured out how to get home. She just was hoping that it would have not been without her. Now, here she was, sputtering snot and spit in front of the new company. She was unfazed and just as she was about to ask she managed to grab hold of the answer.

Five children?! Hell, she barely was able to take care of herself let alone a pack of five kids running around.

She had to applaud her, “You look well for having such a large number of offspring. Congratulations on your family, I hope the gods bless them in prosperity and health.” She was not the goddess of blessings but Amphitrite would like to extend the blessing with the ocean’s tide.

She chuckled, “Booze. Alcohol is the more universal name, it is a type of liquid you drink. You start to feel heavy and loose the more you drink. Eventually, your mind kind of shuts off but your body does whatever it wishes. Usually ends up with a headache and a night unremembered.” She could get into the technical makings of said booze but she was unsure if they had the mechanics to make it here. Maybe… they could find a way. A drink would be well appreciated as of right now.

Soon they were off on their adventure of finding the herb that would help ease the inflammation of her lungs. Following after the pretty female she gestured over, paws padding in a brisk walk over. Settling near, “I just eat it?” Awaiting the instructions she gripped it in between her teeth and stiffened. It was bitter, very fragrant as it hit her nose. Knowing instant release from her allergies was not to happen. She swallowed and would wait for the effects to take place, “Thank you.”

Her ears fell downwards as she knew the question would have been expressed. She smiled wearily, “I am unsure what had happened to them… I had been taken through some portal and was lost in the mountains. By the time I had returned… it was the stale scent of my family that greeted me.” Amphitrite would stiffen visibly, “Now, I am in search of another. I have heard that vagabonds do not strive as well without the protection of others.”

the staff team luvs u
Ecologist
Content Warning
09-19-2022, 04:00 PM
Content Warning
This post contains content that may be unsettling to some readers, including:
  • Mention of drugs
Having absolutely not the faintest idea who Amphitrite really was, she smiled warmly, taking the blessing in stride. “Thank you - the gods do have a sense of humor, I find. Though I have striven to raise them well, it seems that the forces of nature and souls deemed it fit I should have a child with the sour attitude of a toad in the desert,” she laughed, thinking of her beautiful, wretched daughter Violet. Such a shame; perhaps she might grow out of it one day, but until then, she would have to enforce stricter rules and more meaningful punishments to try and keep her growing temper in check.

Hearing her description of booze brought Valeska to full attention, ears pricked forward and eyes wide with interest. Now that was something they shared - it seemed like this 'booze' held a similar purpose, but delivered opposite properties compared to their peyote and ayahuasca roots, which they often consumed for their mind-altering effects and spiritual lure of visions. “We have plants that will render the body inert, but take the mind to higher planes,” she shared in turn, fascinated. “I would like to try this booze you speak of - it sounds marvelous.”

She had no clue. Not an inkling.

That was half the allure.

As Amphitrite related her unfortunate tale, describing mournfully how she had returned to find empty dens and only faintly-lingering scents of her former packmates, Valeska felt a twist of sympathy stir in her gut. It didn't seem impossible that others could be taken from this land, considering how swiftly and immediately they were all dumped within it - she wondered if there was any reasoning or trigger behind it, but at this point, she didn't know if she would ever want to go back. Her home was here, now - her family, here - but for Amphitrite, she had been utterly abandoned.

“Well,” she said softly, “I will happily over Elysium to be a home for you - for as long as you wish. We are not a pack of many strict rules, just that you treat others fairly, and to help on the hunt and perform standard duties, as we all do.”

Also - she really, really wanted her to teach them how to make 'booze'.

“It would be our honor.”

the staff team luvs u
10-28-2022, 04:06 PM

She could not help but chuckle at her analogy, children would only blossom into their personalities… Unfortunately, all they may inhabit is bits and parts of you and your significant other. That was the fascinating distinction of another individual, they are a part of someone but hold nothing to them besides some personal traits that come together to become their own. They interpret the world differently… they take their paths and directions… it was to shape them into something of their design. Versions of themselves. Amphitrite began to think about her children, ones she may never see again. Biting down against her bottom lip, it was to keep her from tearing up at the thought. She only wished her memories had not returned, it was more tortuous to know the life that was taken away. Slowly she would emerge from her thoughts, “A parent’s advice and love are all that is needed for a child.” She said, offering solace advice from one mother to another.

The subject was changed from children to the drink that made them sometimes procreate children. Her attention was fully erected, ears outstretched to catch the mechanics of something she did not know. Drugs. She spoke of drugs. Smiling once more, she seemed to act just like a puppy who had heard of a faraway world that was full of majestic beasts. Amphitrite would have to remember how to recreate the drink for the young lady. She had managed to cure the sniffles for her, the least she could do was give her a chance to try ambrosia. Giving a curt nod, “I have heard of plants such as these, have never dabbled in them myself but perhaps if I were to have someone to accompany me in taking them I would try them. You can try it, of course, I am sure these mountains have the ingredients I need.” She was a little afraid of what would happen if she tripped by herself, rather than someone who had done it before. Grapes… though they were not ideal for their ingestion so she would have to think of another type of fruit.

As her tale had closed… giving her information that had been trapped in her mind for the last few days. Wondering idly that maybe it was her fault they all had left her. She was the last to regain her memories and maybe they did not wish to wait. Valeska was generous in her offer as she spoke of her home in the mountains. How they only wanted respect among one another, her tail began to swish from side to side. The mention of a new home… she had opened her mouth to accept but closed it. Unsure… but the moment she had reassured her that it would be a pleasure to welcome her in with open arms. She could feel her heart pick up a bit, could this be somewhere… could this be permanent. Only hoping… she would not give her heart so easily away. Instead, it would be just a trial run, she didn’t have anywhere else to go.

“I accept.”

the staff team luvs u
Medic
11-01-2022, 06:13 PM
There was something strange about the woman, and Valeska struggled to place just what. Of course, there was something a little bit odd about everyone who arrived to this uncharted land, showing up with all sorts of oddities on their person carried over from their former lives - she thought briefly of Tallulah's hat, and Nikolai's collar - but the way Amphitrite carried herself was different.

Her eyes were chilled and distant, though not unkind. A weight - a heaviness - lay behind their depths, hinting at a wealth of knowledge concealed well below the surface.

The woman seemed sad, somehow.

What all had she lost by coming here?

With a great deal of second-guessing, Amphitrite pulled herself together and up from the shaky unknown to finally utter her response to the invitation - and accepted. Valeska was more than a little surprised, wondering what had happened to the stranger to find her so apprehensive; haunted, almost.

Still, the High Priestess smiled widely, wagging her tail several times for emphasis.

“We shall be glad to have you,” she replied cheerfully. Reaching down to gather up the cluster of Red Columbine within her jaws once more, she rearranged them gently so that she might still be able to speak.

“I hope that the rosemary will help you; ah, it is such a great regret that we do not possess the booze of which you speak, or I am certain that will cure your medical condition with haste,” she lamented, still not quite understanding what the stuff was (or did). “I suppose I shall make do with my Red Columbine for now - Harper and her pups will still make excellent use of it for their belly-aches - but it is my hope that we may recreate Booze in the distant future.”

The children might especially like Booze.

“I shall lead you back, if you wish to gather up any other stray flowers you find. They keep long enough to retain their properties in a pinch!”

Gesturing with her head to follow, Valeska departed.

{Exit Valeska}

the staff team luvs u
scroll to top