Welcome to Canis Major

a wolf and animal rpg (role-playing game)

Canis is a writing community for play-by-post (forum-based), freeform roleplay set in a fictional dream world in the intrusion fantasy genre. Most characters on Canis are wolves; many play elements are focused around wolves and canids, but the world makes room for a large variety of other animal characters such as dogs, horses, cats, bears, deer, and many, many more.

Our community is focused on flexibility, creativity, and collaboration. That boils down to a few important features:

• There is no set activity requirement to write
  • The setting and plot are member-created and staff-supported
  • The game is continuously improved to increase fun and decrease stress

Learn more in our Rulebook!

P
invest a dime

Sunset Drizzle/Rain
P
Hunter
08-27-2022, 01:15 AM
 He felt sticky, hot, tired, and his limp was a bit more aggravated. He was looking forward to getting back to Duskguard where he could rest and recuperate with the pups and with his friends. He'd come this far south because he'd been tracking a particularly old and slow caribou. Normally he wouldn't bother but it had seemed a bit tired, a bit worn out. Perhaps it had simply duped him, for now, he couldn't find the scent anymore.

He huffed and figured he'd write this one off as a loss and head back to his "homestead" in Frostfang. Maybe he'd find a seal on his way back for the pack wolves, surely they'd love that.

In any case, he kept walking and walking until--

Plop! He landed his round bear rump on the soggy ground with his tongue blepping out of his mouth. Ugh... he needed a break. A rest. Recuperation. He'd continue on a bit later... maybe after a nap. He opened his mouth in a cavernous yawn, looking around in the growing darkness to see if there was any place for him to rest.

the staff team luvs u
[Image: deve50g-63ea11b5-eb48-4527-800d-5e485a56...OPfa-MLat4]
08-27-2022, 01:26 AM
Caribou. Catching the passing aroma of a single caribou passing by on the wind, she was uncertain where it could be and if it was worth sending out hunters to go and take it down. Was it selfish of her to yearn for it? When was the last time she had such a beast for a feast? Long enough. It made her homesick for Tsukiishi. A winter wonderland in comparison to the sleek grey that surrounded them now. Thankful for Ira's offer, the Empress was also feeling tired from consistently being in the mountains of stone and greenery. It was also terribly warm too.

Catching herself daydreaming again, the woman sighed as she returned to reality. As much as she missed the snowy peaks of Tsukiishi's more squat mountains, she had grown accustomed to the thin air of the mountains, her legs felt stronger too while navigating the terrain.

“Hm?” Did she spot some snow on the ground up ahead? In this weather? Curious she quickened her pace, ears drawn forward and only slowed as the lump of snow eventually had a face upon closer inspection. “Thraximumder!” Well she tried. Had practiced for a while since their first meeting and honestly thought she had nailed it. “Is everything alright?” He looked exhausted.

the staff team luvs u
[Image: df686pz-0c7a3fc2-8eca-4da1-8429-49fa07fd3bab.png]
translator, I'm sorry if it is horrible for anyone fluent in Japanese!
08-27-2022, 01:37 AM
 "Thraximumder!" Huh? That sounded like a close approximation of his name on the wind.

He turned his head, tongue still blepping out of his mouth as he looked around for the source of the noise. There was a tiny wolf coming towards him. A tiny white wolf. Ah-- ah-- Reiko! He smiled, endeared at the manner that she called his name. "Reiko! That was perfect!" It wasn't... but it was so endearing that he couldn't dare to correct her.

It was a beat later that he realized --or remembered-- his conversation with Kuhn. Of the attack and putting the pieces together...

And realizing that she'd attacked because she'd felt cornered... and knowing that it would do no good to bring up old wounds and creating more grief. Kuhn was alive. Reiko was alive. If they wanted to make amends he would facilitate and serve as a mediator. If not... he would stay out of it and let them heal on their own.

So, he stuffed it down and let himself be happy to see that the timid woman was alright.

"Quite, lass. I'm just an old bear. An old foolish bear who followed a caribou all the way down here despite how hot it is and how broken down I am." He chuckled and then gave her a roguish grin. "A word from the wise... don't ever get old, lass." And then he bellowed out laughter. "How have you been? Is that the smell of milk I scent on you?" Goodness! Did she have pups too? It was the season of love wasn't it? It was such a good thing, all these new litters!

the staff team luvs u
08-27-2022, 01:54 AM
Perfect! The bear said! Which made the feathers on her tail sway happily as it brushed the ground to and fro. She was beaming for a moment and only faded while he explained what had brought him here... the caribou and what had happened to him to collapse like this on Shiroshika borders. Relieved, she chuckled as she seated herself not far from him, letting the smile grace her pale lips once more.

“It is quite warm here I fear.” Funny how moments ago she thought of such a thing, missing the snow of the North and now a northerner crashed onto her borders! A silly thing wishful thinking was. “I was just caught in my own thoughts remembering the snow of Tsukiishi, I thought you might have been a lovely pile of snow!” She squealed happily. And now reminded of how the old Polar Bear must have completely cleaned out their old caches. How thankful she was that their food had not gone to waste, especially all the lives of the prey they had hunted - not left to rot and not hunted as wasted lives just to be wasted.

Don't get old lass. He said, and oh how she giggled at that too! He was a funny old bear. “I will do my best to fend off age.” She said while puffing out her chest as though a great battle would come from it, deflating almost immediately as he catches the telltale sign of children. “Yes.” Her face felt warm. This was not her first litter - but it was a first she wasn't fearful with. Shiroshika was safe. Her husband was loving. “They are with their father right now, but perhaps when they are older I would love for you to meet them.”

the staff team luvs u
08-28-2022, 10:54 PM (This post was last modified: 08-28-2022, 10:55 PM by Thraximundar.)
 "Haha! I'm glad that, even if only momentarily, I was able to remind you of your old beloved home. And, that is quite the compliment!" With his fur yellowing from age, it had been a long time since he'd received the vast compliment of being compared to snow. "Before long the winter shall be here, mayhaps I'll be able to make more frequent visits south when that happens." Perhaps by then her pups would be old enough to visit. What a lovely thought that was, to get to meet the cute lil youngsters and see the next generation. "I eagerly await the time when they'll be old enough to meet!"* He said with a smile.

"But please, tell me, are you and yours settling down nicely? Is there anything I can do to help you at all? I know this is a lovely home but if you would like, I can keep an eye out in the tundra for a spot that you might like better. I get around a lot, you know. The mountains are nice but nothing compares to the cold ice of the north."** He couldn't abide staying down in a warmer place for too long and he had to imagine that a woman made after the snow and ice itself wasn't too dissimilar to himself.

the staff team luvs u
08-31-2022, 05:55 PM (This post was last modified: 08-31-2022, 05:55 PM by Reiko.)
I'm gonna date this after QS's thread!

“By then they should have found their feet and are capable of understanding your stories.” For right now they barely understood her words, let alone that of a stranger with a different dialect than their parents. Still, she would like to know more about Thraximundar and have Quicksilver meet him before the children are introduced, but so far... she has had a good feeling about the old bear. His gentle and friendly demeanour was comforting and perhaps one day she could trust him as some kind of babysitter if necessary and he, of course, be willing.

“Thank you... but that may not be necessary.” She sighed happily, thinking back to the conversation she had with Quicksilver. “My husband wants to check on Tuskiishi and see if Kuhn or Valmua have been lurking. Should it be safe, we hope to return.” With a sway of her tail, she could barely contain her joy at the thought of going back home. Of not completely abandoning what was theirs because of some northern bullies who couldn't respect boundaries.

“I was wondering... if you could check it over quickly before my husband does? Make sure it is safe for him. I would be grateful and ensure you have a tasty caribou in return, or perhaps see about easing your arthritis.” Perhaps even both, honestly. No request of hers would ever be expected to come free after all.

the staff team luvs u
09-10-2022, 02:11 AM
 Oh? May not be necessary? He was delighted to hear why and nodded his head, though he would feel terrible if he didn't warn her of one thing. "Hmmm..." He rumbled thoughtfully and then, "Of course I'll check it out for you, no need to add any bribes... although I'm thankful for any relief you can provide. This leg just hasn't healed back the same way since that fight!" Blast that damned walrus! And blast his own bravado and recklessness when it came to fighting.

"I must mention, however, that there is a new pack that has set up west of Tsukishii, Duskguard. The pack alpha is friends with Kuhn, although as far as I know, no one ventures as far as your old home but I will of course investigate." He didn't feel that he should mention how often Kuhn went, he liked both the man and the woman and did not wish to see them come to blows again and did not wish to divulge too much and put the tiger at risk. Then, he would fall silent and let her process that information.

the staff team luvs u
Medic
09-14-2022, 10:40 PM
Though she was certain he didn't mean the way she interpreted it as, the thought of "bribing" another seemed almost cruel. Was that what she was doing? Or was she simply repaying for a request that would take up time of another? The only response of this would be of ears pulling back slightly, almost ashamed to think that it could be seen greedy incentive. The moment quickly faded as she smiled up at the bear warmly, though he refused food there was something else she could do instead.

“I will make sure to find the appropriate herbs as soon as possible.” He was a large beast and would take up all of their current stashes to heal. “Tsukiishi is also home to a hot spring, if you cannot find it yourself, I will show you it for your use upon my arrival. It will help alleviate that pain.”

Once again... her smile faded. A dark cloud suddenly formed over the small woman at the mention of a friend of Kuhn's, Duskguard, she had a fairly good guess at who such a friend could be who could have settled where no one was prior. “If they keep to themselves, I have no desire to seek them out. Though our actions with Kuhn may have been brash, we did it with the desire to stop his torment on our lives. If Duskguard and he keep away, peace will remain.”

the staff team luvs u
Counsellor
09-18-2022, 04:58 AM
 "A hot spring..." He sounded most pleased at that. "Now there is something I haven't happened upon since my youth!" Sometimes it seemed so difficult to find something that he had happened upon previously in his life. He didn't know if it was old age or something more, he never really thought much of it and just took it as a part of living here in these lands. "That would do quite well for these old joints. Thank-you, madame, I will have to look far more closely into the territory."

He could practically see the cloud wash over her after he mentioned the news. It pained him so to have his friends at odds with each other, knowing that each did what they thought necessary. "I do not believe that they would bother you but if you have any sort of trouble I am but a call away. I can serve as a liaison between your pack and Duskguard or Kuhn if needed." And if things were going to come to blows or anything violent threatened to happen, he hoped he could mitigate any such thing. He hadn't been there before but maybe if push came to shove, he could be there now. "Even if it is not them, still call me. I am happy to help put a bit of brawn or an old-bear's wisdom to any problem you may encounter." A dip of his head, polite and a show of his future service. He was happy to aid anyone whenever he could.

the staff team luvs u
Paladin
09-20-2022, 07:01 PM (This post was last modified: 09-20-2022, 07:01 PM by Reiko.)
Having learned fro past mistakes, she smiled as he accepted the offer for a bath in the hot springs. Wanting to welcome the bear to use them whenever he felt the need to, however she had to trust him a little more first before welcoming an outsider to waltz in and out of their borders willy nilly again - especially after all the trouble Kuhn had brought them when he was originally allowed to hunt on their lands for himself. She would never forgive herself if she trusted anyone so quickly like that and risk the safety of the pack and her family once more.

Optimistically, he too wouldn't take it personally to earn each other's trust as opposed to expecting her to blindly doing so.

“Hopefully that too would not be necessary.” A dream perhaps, but she and the rest of them could hope to be left alone finally after showing they wouldn't stand for Kuhn's bullying behaviour any longer. “Your offer is reassuring however, and we all appreciate it. I pray we will never require any brawn ever again, but to have it should we ever need it puts me at ease. I would must rather see you visit to share stories over defensive reasons.” it would be nice to just make more friends and expand their families without worrying of the outside world after all.

And they could start with Thraximundar and @Rajani if things continued like this.

the staff team luvs u
10-03-2022, 02:49 AM
 Hopefully it would not... he prayed that that were true. He hoped the great spirits would allow them peace in the north but one never knew what would happen except those that ruled over all beings. He dipped his great head to her and spoke again, "Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it, I always say." And he would always be available to those that needed it. He was there to help his wolven friends, not to leave them floundering in the cold.

"But yes, I would much rather meet you and your pack under much better circumstances. Where I can share all the tales of old with you and yours. I cannot sit on all these stories without sharing," Here he smiled and let out a small laugh. "I'm afraid if I keep doing so they might burn a hole in my mind. Ha!"

He waved a paw dismissively at his horrible joke. "Regardless, I shall be sure to keep you all in my prayers that you will find nothing but peace. I feel you all deserve it." In fact, he wished everyone could have peace. They all needed it and there didn't seem to be enough of it around.

the staff team luvs u
scroll to top