Welcome to Canis Major

a wolf and animal rpg (role-playing game)

Canis is a writing community for play-by-post (forum-based), freeform roleplay set in a fictional dream world in the intrusion fantasy genre. Most characters on Canis are wolves; many play elements are focused around wolves and canids, but the world makes room for a large variety of other animal characters such as dogs, horses, cats, bears, deer, and many, many more.

Our community is focused on flexibility, creativity, and collaboration. That boils down to a few important features:

• There is no set activity requirement to write
  • The setting and plot are member-created and staff-supported
  • The game is continuously improved to increase fun and decrease stress

Learn more in our Rulebook!

P
one man’s cringe

Afternoon
P
Misc Skill
08-26-2022, 11:22 PM (This post was last modified: 10-25-2022, 12:26 AM by Osiris. Edited 1 time in total.)

Osiris followed his future brother-in-law’s scent trail with a quick, short-striding steps. He was holding the piece of topaz that he had found for Leta and he glanced over his shoulder every so often to make sure she wasn’t following him. So far it seemed like he was in the clear, but he could never be too sure. This task was far too important and he wouldn’t be able to forgive himself if he got caught and the surprise was ruined.

Asking West Tryee for Leta’s hand in marriage was the last thing on his to-do list that he needed to do before he could propose. It was important to Osiris that he agreed on the union; his heart was racing as he thought about all the possible outcomes. His expression remained neutral as he searched for any signs of West, despite everything he was feeling inside.

the staff team luvs u
Paladin
08-27-2022, 06:49 AM (This post was last modified: 10-21-2022, 09:02 AM by West Tyree. Edited 1 time in total.)
warden

The woodland man hadn't been home for long, his journey taking him further than his paws had intended and his findings slowing his strides back. It had been worth it though, or...so he thought. Disappointment still weighed heavy at the realization he had been chasing nothing, er, well, a fantasy maybe, but that was all it would ever be. He knew what he had felt and yet his heart dared betray him. She had been too good to be true, too good to acknowledge whatever had strung them along even if she too looked as if she had seen a ghost. She, for whatever reason, had been that piece he searched for, but now he doubted she'd ever want to see him again.

He never even got her name.

When he returned to Empyrean West made no mention of her. It felt better to keep that to himself over looking like an idiot or crazy. This was something he would need to accept on his own. If anything, she was a ghost of the past that lay buried and wasted within his memories. His family, his friends, whatever comforts he once had laid with the memories of Easthollow. A sigh slipped unknowingly from his lips as paws dragged along the borders. He was slow-moving like the bison he kept tabs on as he passed the rocky spires that marked the outer edges of the territory, pausing to mark them before continuing along his path.

the staff team luvs u
Hunter
09-19-2022, 12:44 AM
Finally—Osiris caught West Tryee's trail, and it seemed like the trail was fresh. 

He hurried along the beaten trail, weaving between the trees and whatever else came across his path and made quick work of catching up to the other wolf. Osiris could feel the tempo of his heart increase once he'd spotted West's silhouette, and he swallowed hard against his nerves—but not hard enough to swallow the gemstone he was carrying so carefully. "West!" he called, speaking around the object in his mouth, "Wait up!"

the staff team luvs u
09-22-2022, 07:41 AM
An ear flicked at the sound of his name, though his head would be slower to follow. Quickly approaching was the familiar sight of Osiris, intention in every step though not for the borders freshly marked. No, it seemed his sights were truly set on him. The woodland man paused midstep, his paw lowering back to the earth as he swiveled to properly face the other. It was clear he was holding something from the slightly off speech and gap of his jaw, but what he couldn't quite tell. Yeah? It wasn't his most enthusiastic greeting, but it was what he could muster in the moment.

the staff team luvs u
10-15-2022, 08:04 PM
Osiris stopped once he was at a conversational distance and placed the gemstone at his paws. ”I wanted to ask you a question—” he began, cutting straight to the point, ”I want to propose to Leta and ask her to be my mate.” He place a paw on the gemstone. ”I wanted to make sure that you were okay with it before I did anything. I know how important you are to here.” Although he was fairly certain that West would agree, there was still the change that he wouldn’t.

All he could do was wait for an answer.

the staff team luvs u
10-17-2022, 08:23 AM (This post was last modified: 10-17-2022, 08:36 AM by West Tyree. Edited 1 time in total.)

Osiris's words were like cold water dumped on him. The sluggish pull that had just about consumed him was momentarily forgotten as the woodland man processed the words, ensuring he had heard him right. Propose—

He probably should have been happy, even if he and Osiris had never spent much time alone. Since day one, Leta had been glued to his hip. It was obvious how happy he made her, and yet...

West felt the roots pulling him straight back into his metaphorical muck. Leta was really all he had left, and if Osiris became her mate— he felt his heart quicken, the rapid drumming drowning his ears as his maw slowly pulled open, I— but what was he supposed to say? There was only one answer, one right answer. He would be an asshole and selfish to deny the Ostrega's advances...after everything he and his family had done for both of them.

I don't want to be alone.

Tears threatened to prick his eyes as he forcibly swallowed and spat out something, anything, before he lost control. I'm honored— Ah...yes— yeah, of course. She'll be thrilled. And it was the truth. West forced a smile, desperately hoping it appeared natural as he swallowed again. She deserves to be happy. Words he'd repeat in his head over and over to drown out the noise. When—? There had meant to be more to that question, but the words vanished on his lips. He just needed to know...

how much time until she was gone too?

the staff team luvs u
10-19-2022, 10:40 PM
Osiris could sense that something was wrong. He wondered what was going through West's mind—and hoped it was nothing regarding the proposal—but he didn't ask about it. He took his future brother-in-law's words are face value. 

"Within the month," he answered. Osiris was still unsure of the timeline, but having West's permission would help speed things up. "I'll make sure to let you know before it happens."

the staff team luvs u
Paladin
10-21-2022, 09:01 AM (This post was last modified: 10-21-2022, 09:01 AM by West Tyree.)
bodyguard potentially shrug

Had he been alone, he may have shriveled on the spot. A month. A month at most. It was admittedly longer than he expected, but still all too short. He wasn't even sure what to do with that time, but a few ideas were coming to mind. The woodland man merely nodded, at a loss for words. Was there anything else to even say?

At some point, his gaze had fallen from Osiris', but he would fix that with a slow raise of his head as a more hardened smile filled his face. Just so you know...I doubt I need to tell you this, but— treat her right. Even through the pain, he'd be sure his gaze pierced. She was all he had, and despite letting go, he would never stop being her big brother. Osiris wasn't the type to hurt her, he was almost certain, but that wouldn't stop him from delivering his promise.

From one older brother to another. You know what you'd do for them. And so did West. Pack be damned, he'd kill for @Leta.

the staff team luvs u
Misc Skill
10-24-2022, 10:44 PM
Osiris understood and respected what West said. ”Of course,” he replied, ”I would do the same for my siblings as well.” There would be nothing to worry about; he had no intention of ever doing anything to hurt Leta.

”I’m sorry to cut this conversation short, but I’d like to stow the gem away as soon as possible.” He didn’t know what she was doing, and there was a chance that she could come across them. ”Would you like to meet me for a patrol later? I keep all the treasures I find in a cave not too far from here, and I should be more than an hour if you’re still free.”

the staff team luvs u
Paladin
11-03-2022, 07:11 AM (This post was last modified: 11-03-2022, 07:12 AM by West Tyree. Edited 1 time in total.)
warden

It was fortunate that Leta had found a guy who really...had no problems. If there were any ticks to Osiris, he didn't know them, and he knew realistically that he would be good to his sister. Luckily, he understood exactly what he meant, and West believed him when he said that he would care for her. It wouldn't fill the cracks tearing through him, but it was somewhat comforting to know Leta would be alright. The woodland man solemnly nodded as Osiris changed the subject. He had no reason to hold up Osiris, and he...more or less wanted to be alone right now.

Something told him even that was not a good idea though. It went against every fiber screaming in his body, but he was better off spending some time with the man who would eventually be his brother in law. Resisting the sigh deep within his chest, he'd respond rather flatly, Yeah, sure. At the very least he had an hour to get his shit together and hopefully distract himself from the dove at the lake. I'm going to finish up here since I only have the teeth left, but we can meet near the river and head towards the cove?

the staff team luvs u
Paladin
11-06-2022, 11:39 PM
“I'm going to finish up here since I only have the teeth left, but we can meet near the river and head towards the cove?” West proposed. 

"That sounds good," Osiris replied. "It's been a while since I've made it to that area—it'd be good to refresh the borders there." Although he knew that others had patrolled the area, he liked to spread his scent wherever possible. He felt a great deal of possessiveness over their territory and wanted to make any outsides well aware of who they were dealing with if they dared to trespass. 

"I'll see you soon," he promised before heading off to do everything he needed to get done before their patrol.

the staff team luvs u
scroll to top