Welcome to Canis Major

a wolf and animal rpg (role-playing game)

Canis is a writing community for play-by-post (forum-based), freeform roleplay set in a fictional dream world in the intrusion fantasy genre. Most characters on Canis are wolves; many play elements are focused around wolves and canids, but the world makes room for a large variety of other animal characters such as dogs, horses, cats, bears, deer, and many, many more.

Our community is focused on flexibility, creativity, and collaboration. That boils down to a few important features:

• There is no set activity requirement to write
  • The setting and plot are member-created and staff-supported
  • The game is continuously improved to increase fun and decrease stress

Learn more in our Rulebook!

P
Torn off clouds and roadside trees after the rain

Sunset Snow
P
Adventurer
08-26-2022, 08:00 PM
Curious... she wandered toward The Everfrost again to see if Kuhn or his bitch, Valmúa had returned. The swan had no intention of seeking them out or remaining for very long should she catch a whiff of their presence, but she had to know... did they return, and should they have... she could let the leaders of Shiroshika and Vanderfell know of this before they were surprised with those two making an appearance first.

Cautiously she wandered closer to the familiar woods, only to catch a scent that was not that of a tiger or of his companion - but of a pack. Had they been gone that long that another group had settled here in the meantime? With rose ears drawn forward, she padded on... softly on deafened steps that she appreciated now more than ever to be of arctic descent. This was her element as she swiftly with ease remained hidden in the dunes of white while investigating the scents along what she could tell were a border.

Did they know of what happened here? Were they sent by Kuhn and Valmua or were they guards to the enemies of Shiroshika stationed as a ruse? Ears fell flat as she pondered all of this... Taking a few careful steps away from the borders to give herself much-needed space to move should whoever have made these woods their home be of the unpleasant type.

With a howl she hopped to summon whoever it was leading this place, to either inform herself and the packs the swan belonged to - to keep Hotaru safe, and perhaps, share information of the bloody battle that had gone on in these woods that had probably been unknown to its inhabitants. And maybe warn them of a danger that might return one day to reclaim his frosty woods.

the staff team luvs u
[Image: SignatureSachiko.png]
08-26-2022, 08:55 PM
A howl that was foreign called her name.

Dark ears pricked forward but her body did not want to move. It had been a day since Eldritch’s return. A day since she had learned of Rosencrantz’s fate. A day of feeling so low that she did not want to leave her den. She did not want to eat. She did not want to do anything but stare at the dark walls of her cavern, watch the trickling water, dip, drip, drip. down the dark walls and upon bright violet flowers.

She missed him. That much she knew, she did not mean to say such things. Or react in such a way, she did not want to admit it but Blackfoot was right. She had risked her pack’s safety just to win. Seeing Eldritch wounded had opened her eyes to just how selfish she had been. It could have easily been Eldritch in Rosencrantz’ place. How much worse would she be now if that were the case?

But a niggling feeling crawled through her stomach and forced her to her paws. She made her way as fast as she could, or perhaps wanted to, to the summons.

If that fiery woman returned, part of her would just let her steam roll through.

But it was not. No in her stead was a small, white female. Who’s pelt would have perfectly blended into the snow, had it not been for the darker markings blending in. Greetings, You stand at the boarders of Haldis. Sorina’s tail uplifted as she paced forwards, though the brightness had faded in her eyes, she still had a duty to uphold. How may I help?

@Sachiko
the staff team luvs u
[Image: dfeo71b-911a2cce-24b2-4a18-bbb4-e6a43b76...BhW7Iv8uLQ]
Erebus is allowed in any of Sorina’s threads.
Adventurer
08-26-2022, 09:04 PM
It didn't take long for someone to answer her call - someone she assumed who led the pack considering who she had called for. The way their tail curled dominantly was strange, it almost reminded her of Ira seeing as how casual Empress Reiko normally was to her subjects and visitors. Very rarely did she ever see the Empress flaunt her role unless it was deemed necessary for one reason or another. And so, seeing this tall dark woman express her rank non-verbally was almost intimidating.

Offering a little bow, Sachiko knew to show respect to anyone holding a rank where she, here, meant nothing. She may be Countess now in Shiroshika, but here, she may as well be a civilian. “Countess Sachiko of Shiroshika.” A quick introduction to let the woman know who she was talking to. “I came to investigate the woods after an incident many moons ago and I was surprised to find a pack residing here. Have you had any troubles lately?” Any of the orange and striped variety?

the staff team luvs u
08-26-2022, 09:18 PM
Sorina’s head uplifted ever so slightly as the woman bowed before her, yet it did not stop the smile that curled upon her features. Noting the names silently, before dipping her chin in a slight, singular nod. Yet she knew better than to lower her defences straight away.. who knew what this pack—-Shiroshika, allied themselves with.

came to investigate the woods after an incident many moons ago and I was surprised to find a pack residing here. Have you had any troubles lately? Lips pursed as a thoughtful hum rumbled from her jaws. You are not the first to say they were surprised… yes, we unfortunatley suffered a small raid from a band of rogues… I believe they called themselves “Enemies of the Sheep”. A small scoff. Even the name sounded ludicrous. Have you been troubled by these miscreants, too?

@Sachiko
the staff team luvs u
Adventurer
08-26-2022, 09:26 PM (This post was last modified: 09-21-2022, 05:25 PM by Sachiko. Edited 1 time in total.)
The features of the dark woman had lifted lightly which wouldn't go unnoticed. Sachiko was happy to have made the right impression at least, even if it was a small step, it was one that was in the right direction. Straightening herself up, Sachiko would not sit to talk as a sense of unease continued to flow through the branches of these trees as though the ghosts of their past haunted these woods.

So she was not the first to find them here and was surprised. Who else had come? The mention of trouble made her heart skip a beat. Eyes wide in a held-back sense of horror to think that Kuhn had tried to take back his woods… but no. It was… A group? A single brow curved curiously. “No… I haven’t heard of them until now.” Maybe these woods were cursed with bad luck.

“No sign of a large feline with an orange coat and a poppy-pelted woman?” If the only thing was a raid, she was certain already of the answer.

the staff team luvs u
08-26-2022, 09:34 PM (This post was last modified: 08-26-2022, 09:34 PM by Sorina.)
The woman’s eyes widened with such terror it churned Sorina’s stomach. Had that ragtag group let Haldis off lightly? Did they do much worse to Shiroshika? No… I haven’t heard of them until now.” Evidently not. Dark ears swivelled as confusion struck the Lady Paramount’s features. Then who?

“No sign of a large feline with an orange coat and a poppy-pelted woman?” Onyx brows rose as her dark crown shook. As far as I am aware, no. Ah… if only she had not chased away her only Sentry. He would have been able to provide further insights into who exactly visited Haldis’ borders. May I ask what they did? So I may warn my wolves?

The last thing Haldis needed now, was more threats.

@Sachiko
the staff team luvs u
Entertainer
08-26-2022, 09:49 PM (This post was last modified: 09-21-2022, 05:25 PM by Sachiko. Edited 2 times in total.)
It seemed this meeting would definitely benefit both sides of the table as both women were caught off guard by what was said. Dangers unknown to the other lurking in the frosty north just waiting to rear their ugly heads. Just as the black woman’s shock had faded, so too did Sachiko once told that a tiger and his companion had not stopped by here.

Friendly, or no.

“They harassed our pack for many moons. Trespassing, threatening our members and playing childish games with which… if you ever saw a beast that calls themselves “tigers”, is a dangerous game to play.” Huge, powerful enough to fend off a pack and kill a couple of wolves all the while disappearing into the blizzard. The size of close fangs and claws, none of it was a laughing matter when any moment it could snap and end them just because they felt like it.

“In these woods we tried to end it by hunting the beast who calls himself Kuhn, and his companion Valmua. But we failed. A blizzard swept through, ending our chase… and we now know nothing of their whereabouts or future plans.” These trees and grounds were stained with the blood of her people and that of the beast who scared them emotionally and physically.

the staff team luvs u
09-04-2022, 11:26 AM
Sorina allowed herself to sit, it was clear that the conversation was not hostile. Simply exchanging information. Though she despised small talk, she knew that she would be a fool to not listen. If it came to the safety of her pack, she would stand and watch ice thaw if she had to. Her tail curled neatly around her right side, with paws perfectly placed.

They harassed our pack for many moons. Trespassing, threatening our members and playing childish games with which… if you ever saw a beast that calls themselves “tigers”, is a dangerous game to play.”

Dark ears pinned to her skull. Haldis did not have the numbers or strength to fend off this beast, should they decide to return. Dark brows furrowed. Not even Rosencrantz would have stood a chance, but that did not stop Sorina of thinking of him. Had he still been here, alive.

“In these woods we tried to end it by hunting the beast who calls himself Kuhn, and his companion Valmua. But we failed. A blizzard swept through, ending our chase… and we now know nothing of their whereabouts or future plans. She noted their names and would send the orders to keep an eye out for such individuals. Yet it did not stop the worry that churned her stomach. In a rare moment of compassion, the Queen’s gaze met the Countess’ I am sorry, truly for the loss your pack has suffered. Please.. offer my condolences to your Superiors. As well as your thanks. This is truly valuable information indeed. A sigh flared through her nostrils. A way of dispelling the tension that wrought over her spine.

. My worry is that Haldis would not survive an attack such as you have described. We have only just begun and are small. Easy pickings, if one knew where to strike. Forging Alliances is my upmost priority. In such times we need to band together… would Shiroshika be interested in such a possibility?

She would be a fool not to try.

@Sachiko
the staff team luvs u
Adventurer
09-21-2022, 05:23 PM
A part of her mourned Haldis' own peace. Now they knew the possibility of some creature coming at their door and making them the next target to their silly little games they had once played with Shiroshika; on the other hand, Sachiko felt she had prepared them should that day come. They would be wise to their trickery, unlike Shiroshika who had tried fruitlessly for months to appease all involved. With a light bow of her head, she appreciated the sympathy shared by Sorina.

“I believe an alliance would be in the cards.” She couldn't speak much on the behalf of the Emperor and the Empress when it came to alliances with other tribes or empires, but she had a feeling they shared the same thoughts as she on the matter... the more allies they had, the stronger they would become should Kuhn and Valmua return, or even Tiberius if she chooses revenge for his wounded friend. “I can't speak for my leaders, but I'm confident they too seek more allies to prevent the same tragedy from reoccurring. With us, or anyone else.” Maybe with stronger forces, it would be more likely that the packs would be left alone and Kuhn and his companions would have to keep to themselves or find different targets far from Shiroshika and their allies.

“I can pass on the invitation if you wish to speak with them further on the matter.”

the staff team luvs u
10-02-2022, 02:55 PM
“I believe an alliance would be in the cards.”

Perfect. A smile grew, that was as genuine and as warming as Sorina could make it. Alliances were what Haldis needed and especially after learning The Everfrosts rather... traumatic past, her small Empire would need all the help it could gather. Before it would be too late. "It would be an honour." She offered, dipping her skull in respect-a rare signal given, especially for a woman like Sorina, of such standing. “I can't speak for my leaders, but I'm confident they too seek more allies to prevent the same tragedy from reoccurring. With us, or anyone else.” Her plush, ebon' tail began to wag to and fro behind her. "My thoughts exactly." 

“I can pass on the invitation if you wish to speak with them further on the matter.”   "If you would be so kind. My Sentries shall informed to hail me upon yours, or  their arrival." Indeed, there were not many... not now that they had lost Rosencrantz...she would not linger on the absence felt. "I shall look forward to hearing from them." Slowly, her dark crown turned to the left to look upon The Everfrost. Her home. "Do you require anything, food? Or rest before your journey back?" Well, if she were to make alliances... she would have to seem nice.

@Sachiko
the staff team luvs u
scroll to top