Welcome to Canis Major

a wolf and animal rpg (role-playing game)

Canis is a writing community for play-by-post (forum-based), freeform roleplay set in a fictional dream world in the intrusion fantasy genre. Most characters on Canis are wolves; many play elements are focused around wolves and canids, but the world makes room for a large variety of other animal characters such as dogs, horses, cats, bears, deer, and many, many more.

Our community is focused on flexibility, creativity, and collaboration. That boils down to a few important features:

• There is no set activity requirement to write
  • The setting and plot are member-created and staff-supported
  • The game is continuously improved to increase fun and decrease stress

Learn more in our Rulebook!

AW
I'm spoken for, I fear,

AW
Hunter
08-09-2022, 07:53 PM
It was summer. The difference between the tundra and the mountains itself could be felt with the sweat underneath her pelt. Born and raised in snow, she was not so well-kept by it's heat, but at the very least, still relatively aligned with the tundra, wasn't extremely overbearing. She knew at heart, that it'd be far more difficult for travell down south, seeing the forests and plains spread before her ; and even.. The large mountain she yet to climbs to!

The smell of packs within the yonder, all around seemed to be wolves — the mountains flushed of others, and although another day of exploration and wandering, for curiosity set idly within her soul.. Her purpose was elsewhere. But ah, her stomach growled lightly, a meal was needed as Aries then skulked through the plains.

She was used to do, but within snow and ice, not of the beautiful golden and green view before her. Her frame was low to the ground, downwind and an attempt to hide her pale form from all that it was — she could smell a few trails on the way, a rabbit, an elk, and even could hear birds chirping within the distance. She stood still, contemplating which path to aim for.

the staff team luvs u
08-13-2022, 11:00 AM
[narrow width=300]

[/narrow]

A cast shadow of a tree consumed the prince in its obsidian respite. It stood tall, taking place as guardian of the plains, and he had chosen this to shade himself from the summer's heat. It was never as harsh as the sun's fervour down south, but it was summer all the same.

He spotted her first. The stark contrast of white tones against the backcloth of verdant flora, and he noticed the way she prowled. She was here with motive, but unlike his own. When she stood close by, still undetecting the sovereign, he couldn't help but let that boyish intrigue overlap his judgement of her robes of sin. 

She was beautiful. Lissom and willowy, and it suited her. Her eyes were competitively near to his own honeyed irises. And when he had established her beauty, he couldn't help but let his mind drift to his faith, of his mother's teachings. Of all the whites he had encountered, predominantly female, they held a captive elegance and grace that he couldn't ignore. They were the most alluring, with their swan-like poise and beauty. 

Was his mother jealous, was this the reason she taught them that whites were of sin? He didn't know who to believe now, the head of the church or his brothers who questioned the supreme governor.

He wondered if she was to pass by him or take a different path altogether.

[narrow width=300]

[/narrow]
the staff team luvs u
Adventurer
Hunter
08-15-2022, 12:34 AM (This post was last modified: 11-04-2022, 08:12 PM by Ari. Edited 3 times in total.)
How could she not see a boy of fine coloring? Such rich colors of brown was unseen color. Although, the closest that Aries remembered is her dearest sister, who held more of fawn light tones then anything darker. She had seen black, she had seen dark gray, and all those dressed in monochrome — a rare sighting for one of northern origins, to see anything else. Someone who looked much younger then of a fine adult, but smelled so heavily of the forest and a pack that was unknown. 

She was within the moments of hunt, her body pressured to a prowling an the scent was vaguely dangling within the air. She thought to venture further into what was possibly caught.. Rabbits on the wind that was surely only a distances away as a glory yellow looked upon their path and sniffed once more. She would remember it, she thought — before lifting herself up and looking at the duke.

Such a curiosity, that she could not help but smile from a distance, "hello, are you from around here?" did Aries inquire.

Prey was forgotten, for curiosity peeked. 

the staff team luvs u
08-16-2022, 10:13 AM
[narrow width=300]

[/narrow]

She caught his gaze and hooked it with a golden glance that stole his mind momentarily. Fortunately for him, she was not opposed to his indiscreet admiration; a curve formed along her lips. 

Warwick offered his own sweet one in return. Sometimes words were not for use, and he would've been equally content in sharing their small secret, as two living strangers passing like ships at sail. A smile on each one's lips, in a hushed sentiment of appreciation. 

The duke rose, being addressed to and he immediately sought that familiarity as a nobleman, keeping to his seat, and under the sombrero of shade.

'I am not. I reside in the south of here', he commenced, with a low tone that would cajole her unconsciously of his undesires to be hostile. 'Are you lost?'. Uncertain if her question pertained to her asking him for directions, or the fact she had never seen him in this foreign area before. He would regrettably be unable to assist the pale swan if it were the former.

[narrow width=300]

[/narrow]
the staff team luvs u
Adventurer
08-20-2022, 12:22 AM
He was polite, and words that said he did not belong to here, and more south. She couldn't but look over his shoulder and wondered what home he was from — an assumed by his colors to be a forested pack, then of the mountains she was currently living in. Below there was far more greenery and less mountainous roads, but at the moment though curiosity was there, her duty was bounded elsewhere, and would seek toward it as she answered him with a head shake, "I am delivering a message.. But my stomach got the best of me," she so admitted to her wayfaring elsewhere. A travel through treacherous slopes needed much energy.

"I am Aries, of Duskguard," the snow-dipped woman would say as she lightly bowed her head in greeting to this unknown Duke, awaiting to hear of his own name and land.

the staff team luvs u
08-21-2022, 05:09 PM
[narrow width=300]

[/narrow]

His ears sharpened at the mention of the message, intrigued by what details were covered up. If they were notes of war, or more alluringly to him, if they were from lover to another, and she was their Hermes, their messenger for the next rendezvous. 'Ah, I apologise for distracting you from your important assignment'. 

So the mountains were her castles, her home. Or so he could wrongly assume, 'Duskguard', he tasted the name, 'That is not a pack yet been mentioned to me on my travels. I am Warwick Déorwine, son of Queen Célnes of Elkshire. I'm currently on my first expedition with two of my siblings'. He had mentioned he had roamed from the south, so needn't felt necessary to pinpoint their exact territory location. It was only mere small talk between passing strangers.

The young prince remained as he was, keeping tall, a replicated essence of his mother's grace and poise. He would not stand in the woman's way if she so chose to continue on with her day.

[narrow width=300]

[/narrow]
the staff team luvs u
Adventurer
08-23-2022, 10:50 PM
"It's quite alright, it is of my own time that faltered away from it." A quick moment where needed a meal, but conversation served just a purpose that her stomach too seemed to have forgotten the substance it needed. Wolves were mammals that could survive a few days without food, and the ram realized that she was divulged to such luxurious that she ate often when needed, with caches to serve and otherwise friends.. Her life as a loner had been no less then a day, and had not had that yet hardship.

"Duskguard is far into the north, a mountain cascada surrounding a vale." Her head tipped forward, to the face of north where could not be seen by their direction, blocked by the various mountains and forest around. The land without snow, summer entrapping them but the knowledge that all would soon be like the tundra, once winter took it's time. She wondered whether he had experienced his winter yet, or the snow that graced ; a familiarity for herself, but not for others.

A name she not heard of, yet named after of elk. Elkshire, "I did not realize I was talking to a Prince on his own journey," with a paw to her chest, Aries bowed to him. She did not think she was particularly rude, but knew well that royalty among packs were a different breed to treat, a more dignified and kindness to be given, and respect given. To honor such a rank and his ability of so.. Although curiosity of where, Elkshire may be.

the staff team luvs u
09-10-2022, 04:50 PM

A boyish smile traced his lips, 'Are you a good hunter?', he asked with in mind he had distracted her momentarily from both her task and hunger. He recalled the small tribe of goats he had not long passed and would be positive they still lingered. The duke could perhaps offer a gallant hand in her pursuit of a meal unless she were the boastful and prideful type much like his sisters who did not require a young nobleman's help. 

It wouldn't be so hard to picture the pack's domain, since they stood betwixt the vast mazes of alps. He nodded obligingly, listening and storing such details for the nearby future. He and his siblings had travelled far more northerly than he had anticipated and the beyond was not a sight he would soon behold. Maybe a missed opportunity, but one that was not a necessity for the meanwhile.

The silvered pearl dipped and had she delayed her respect, she would've spotted the flash of regret upon his face. The duke was surprised by such a gesture and didn't deem it as one that others would oblige to when not upon his own turf. However, he did not want to make Aries feel awkward and smiled warmly once she rose. 'That's very kind of you. Though I admit I feel far from a prince when surviving in the midst of unfamiliar places', bedding down upon makeshift mattresses for the nights with his two littermates, though with a sense of insecurity meant eyes drew across each of their backs in those eerie black nights. And of course, no caches to collect their meals from, but this didn't trouble Warwick - he enjoyed the thrill of the chase with this brother and sister when hot on the heels of their next dinner.

the staff team luvs u
09-12-2022, 12:32 AM
"I would like to think so but ah.. I am well-equipped to the north and it's blending, I am not sure how my coloration fairs in the mountains." If she were to compare herself and the man before her, he blended well into the tree's and grass-lines. A crisp brown, smothering in a lovely warmth and beauty ; he was a handsome boy with a citrine view, and she could see him being well-traversed in hunting. Aries liked to think she was good, however.. That was due to her blending. She wasn't sure how she would do with these mountains.

"It feels respectable to greet a future Monarch. The crown upon a Kingdom is no easy feat." There was a face of admiration, for any who took upon this mantle held a lot to them. Wolves who trusted and sought to, a group to represent and decisions to make — and she could not imagine the factor of one knowing they'd take that crown. Although she knew not there was many.. Many Prince's and Princess's within this pack of Elkshire. She automatically assumed, he was but the heir.

the staff team luvs u
09-13-2022, 01:00 PM

An acceptable and valid point made. The snows hill of the Tundra would engulf the white wolf, giving her the advantage over an adversary during her hunt. And likewise, for the young prince, who felt more at home in the woodlands, they too welcomed him with a disguise to blend in with his surroundings. With that said, the brewing cold had not yet touched this region and was a moon perhaps too soon, so he used her reply as an opportunity to prove himself the man of honour that he had been trained to become. 'Allow me to join you on your hunt, then?'.

He was curious, the way she spoke was as if it stemmed from experience. 'Are you a Queen?', had he missed her title upon introduction? He knew his mother had plentiful stories to tell of the distress such a role would entail, and he hoped he was still quite far away from such a heavy obligation.  

the staff team luvs u
09-23-2022, 02:29 AM
"I would be honored for a Prince to join on a hunt," she said in a meek smile, for her stomach mildly gargled at the very word of hunt. Her starvation was ambient, and if two was on the job, Aries was mildly more assured that perhaps a meal would be granted before her discovery of the Vanderfell wolves, and otherwise more, the Shiroshikians. Ah.. Perhaps they could be a bit daring and aim for a boar!

"Ah, no. I am only by another pack wolf." She chuckled lightly, feeling lightly blushed to think she was mistaken as one ; but denied so. Any wolf can claim they were royalty, and she too held the veins of blue-blood.. But she did not think of holding a crown, such a title was a heavy burden, and often held decisions that she knew not if would do the right ones. She was content on being another body.

the staff team luvs u
09-27-2022, 05:20 PM

Excellent, came his thoughts and the vision of his features. Surprised and equally happy she had accepted his keen offer. He recalled the flock of goats that lingered and grazed neatly on his path to this point, but the writer at the time forgot goats have horns and Warwick does not consume prey with horns or antlers so let's move on from that and focus on a boar instead. 

Warwick had smiled charmingly at the latter of her corrections of him, and let that conversation subside. A matter of greater importance had risen and his attention would be fully installed on their next task. As though a nobleman would offer his arm for a waiting maiden, he would quietly walk to the side of Aries, with the browns of his hairs melting into the soft hues of her snowy pelt, and guiding her slowly onwards in no particular direction, but only one that would soon pick up a scent. 

At this intimate proximity, he quietly inhaled with each passing breath the notes of rich syrup and delicate florals that she carried so gently. It was almost a distraction for the young male, instead of seeking the stronger odour of a wild pig. 

'Tell me of your leaders, of your King and Queen of Duskguard?', he prompted, his voice mellow as he moved with her.

the staff team luvs u
Hunter
09-28-2022, 08:48 PM
They would soon start to move, a slow-paced walking with careful steps as they trotted to. Knowing well that soon their adept noses would pick up something one way or another, she could twitch at the smell of birds and mice alike, but not something she felt was adequate for a prince, and both to feast upon. Something of a prize was needed, as glory-yellows were slowly gazing across the tracking off.. Before lifting, back at the young Duke, "I follow Chief Tiberius and Priestess Olive, they are mates. They are quite kind fellows, though I would say my Chief was quite.. An accent, that makes it difficult to understand sometimes," she said with a respected chuckle. Not in a way to embarrass or degrade such an act, but more of something that would stand out to any, "I couldn't say where the dialect is from."

Her tail moved lightly, as an ear flickered, "what of your mother, The Queen?"

the staff team luvs u
10-02-2022, 07:16 PM

His eyes continuously chased the silhouettes up ahead, diverting their course into the breeze so that as they moved as an aligned weapon, they would not prompt any prey up ahead. He looked through into pockets of grass, where there could potentially be passels of hogs or flocks of sheep. 

An ear was twisted to hear everything Aries had to say, with pristine clarity. 'Chief and Priestess? I can't say I have heard of such titles thus far in my life. They sound as though they are good to you, though', he could feel the devotion she had for them in her voice. 

Her reciprocated question had his heart lurch, though he continued unfalteringly in his stride and presence. He smiled, whether she could see this or not, it was a reflexive motion just thinking of his missed mother. 'She's heavily devoted to our pack, she started from nothing and brought life and beauty to The Elks Crown, where we live. I do not believe I have ever seen her treat another with unwarranted disrespect, and holds a paw out to those in need of a home. She's a teacher and a faithful follower to our deity, The High Elk too. The divinity my family follows'.

It was no secret Warwick held his mother in high regard.

the staff team luvs u
Hunter
10-03-2022, 06:59 PM
"Many take quite a few titles, whatever feels to suit them best. Queen and King, Chief and Chiefess, Priest and Priestess, Matriarch and Patriarch, although the most common within the English-Tongue is often Alpha." From the studies she held, Aries knew of the various titles that were taken, and the most common that there was. Although some often took more unique twists to it, as she vaguely remembered some prefer the name of 'Star' within their titles, or even something such as Vanderfell would hold — the High Queen. Twists and pulls from cultures..

Her nose dipped to the ground, she could smell a trace of rabbit as a minor imprint on the grass was apparent. Her ear flickered, she couldn't hear them nearby but at the very least they seemed to pick something up between their chatter and walking. Her tail flickered, and she brushed his shoulder lightly to lead them in the direction of where the possible hunt was — they were closer.

She would smile more as he continued to speak, especially upon his mother. His tone alone would indicate a fondness over, that made Aries remember her own.. She was a gentle woman, and had long passed due to ailment, "she sounds like a noble woman, who surely belongs to the title of 'Queen.' I hope one day if my adventures take me, I could meet her." Down south in a forest called The Elk's Crown, led by Elkshire, and the Queen Celnes. A memory to take, and a hope one day her journey does take her there.

the staff team luvs u
11-02-2022, 08:32 PM

Chief and Chiefess, Priest and Priestess, Matriarch and Patriarch, all titles yet to be discovered and met. It made him realise even more so of who else was out here, of the plethora of cultures he was yet to encounter. But his time along the mountainous regions was only supposed to be shortly endured and a soft adventure to meet others along the way. He had a home, family and commitments to return to, but there would always be that young pup within him that longed for adventures and days of exploration. He had truly been in his element out in the vast unknown, but in the exact same measurement, he knew where his heart truly belonged - in Elkshire.

'You have enlightened me with such information, that I am certain you can tell I do not boast such a mind full of traditions and known heritages outside of my own', a sheepish smile that she may or may not have clocked as he turned to look at her, just as the elegant tip of her nose would dive to the earth, seeking the tail end of a scent. He too would catch the trace and allow her to gently nudge him in its direction. However, this was not what the duke had in mind. Like a young true stud, he wanted to impress the mountain princess despite the age difference (he had little care for this blatancy). But while they were navigated by the whiff of rabbit, he remained on alert for something of more substance. 

Her polite, kind words were rewarded with a small hum, desperate to keep it quiet to ensure they remained in predatory hunting poise. His mother was the epitome of nobility and royalty, without a question, really. 'You would be most welcome. I could be your personal escort to show you around our grounds too', he added with the huff of a restrained but alluring laugh. 

Whilst on their new, diverted path. Warwick all of a sudden stalled and came to a dead halt. Hushing his hunting companion, as to their right in a small opening alongside a babbling brook, was a lone beaver. The slick and wet mammal was hard at work, driven by the dribbling current that he was pressured to stop. He had gathered enough twigs, branches and moss to stick together, but it was scavaging its stockpile for that last twig that would ultimately turn the tap off for good within the stream. 

It was far too busy to have noticed the contrasting duo within the trees, and Warwick angled his head to Aries with his glossed, intrigued eyes still very much attached to the beaver's form. 'Stay low here', he instructed. Mainly because he could edge along the shrubs undetected with his russet and umber camouflage, but the females white could upset the animal should it become suspicious of Warwicks creeping steps. 

Shrugging to the floor, shielded behind a vast array of wild hedges and shrubs, he moved along as close as he could, with the earth just brushing at the skirt of his belly. His eyes were utterly transfixed. And he would pause every second or two should the beaver become distracted from his determination and eye up the brown wolf. So Warwick took his time, waiting for the precise moment he ought to propel himself into a fatal lunge.

And when it finally took to the water's edge once more, the young prince sprinted. Their back feet scraped up a small storm of earth and debris as he threw himself forward. The skittish animal had been perplexed for a moment and had not realised in which way the scuffling noise had originated. Sending it instinctively back toward the bank, and unfortunately within the easy grasp of the boy.

A scrap ensued, of the distressed creature attempting to either fight back or try and flee, it was not quite sure, but nevertheless, Warwick was strict with his methods and with the need to slay the mammal swiftly. No prey deserved a painful or slow death and he acted quickly, gaining access to his throat in its dazed, panicked confusion, and only moments later did it lay limp in his maw. 

Warwick remained at the side of the brook, panting with ragged breaths, searching the bushes for his wintry goddess. Hoping she had enjoyed the show of his talent. He, of course, was merely happy to present a humble meal for her, courteous and grateful for her company for their fleeting meeting.

the staff team luvs u
Hunter
11-04-2022, 08:19 PM (This post was last modified: 11-04-2022, 08:19 PM by Ari.)
Despite such a young boy, he was well-acquainted with elegant speech. His demeanor spoke all that was of the royal status, one she remembered learning of so and how even her own mother presented and wished to teach them. Such ways though could be taught were not often represented — and she could only imagine the type of future King he would be, where many would flock to his presence and adoration of so. Even Aries would have to admit if she had found a leader of his charisma before finding Duskguard, she would be lured away from the tundra she calls home.

She was more then pleased and accepting to take such an offer, and said if she ever was, she would the young Duke. So far though it was a wonder if she ever truly would meet him again — but fate was mysterious that way, and she would hope the heavens above would grant such a love. She was awfully curious to see the warming forests, blessed by the summer life and cautious with the warmth of colors. She had seen so but normally in the bathing of snow-dust, and being so close to the mountains she realized that the snow often colored the monochrome world she was so used to..

Then they dropped. To the ground they prowled, as she smiled at him and followed his wills. The prey that she thought to find earlier was within their sights, the rabbit trail just ahead as they would carefully go forth. She stood behind, knowing well her pelt was within the way of the hunt, being such a stark contrast to this mountain region. His own blended beautifully in, where he surely mastered the hunting when it came through the seasons ; and curiously smiled even more to see him once winter truly hit.

In the sights did they capture the rabbit, but the duke sprung forth! A wonderous moment where herself was not needed, and instead he had brought her a surprise that was with a gratitude, and an evening meal.. Of course wouldn't hog for all herself, and spent time sharing it with the boy. It almost felt embarassing to be charmed by someone so young, but who wouldn't? Even when they departed, she would remember him.

the staff team luvs u
scroll to top