Welcome to Canis Major

a wolf and animal rpg (role-playing game)

Canis is a writing community for play-by-post (forum-based), freeform roleplay set in a fictional dream world in the intrusion fantasy genre. Most characters on Canis are wolves; many play elements are focused around wolves and canids, but the world makes room for a large variety of other animal characters such as dogs, horses, cats, bears, deer, and many, many more.

Our community is focused on flexibility, creativity, and collaboration. That boils down to a few important features:

• There is no set activity requirement to write
  • The setting and plot are member-created and staff-supported
  • The game is continuously improved to increase fun and decrease stress

Learn more in our Rulebook!

P
swallowed by eternity

P
Misc Skill
08-05-2022, 09:01 PM
Osiris had finally found the perfect stone to propose to Leta with. He had found it at Stone Mountain, nestled in a particularly stubborn piece of granite. It had taken a considerable amount of time and effort to retrieve it, but ultimately he unearthed it and returned it to his treasure stash. He hid is towards the back of the cave and covered it with some skulls to hide it.

He sought out @ "Hydra" the next morning and led her to his recently re-located storage cave. Leta and Elke had been the only ones to see the new location, as they were the two (aside from his mother) that he trusted most. Once they arrived at the cave’s short entrance, Osiris dropped onto his belly and army-crawled into the den. Once inside he turned his back on the entrance and began to rummage through the bones to find the topaz he had found.

the staff team luvs u
08-26-2022, 05:38 PM
Much had been on her mind as of late. @Dirge was away to scout their surroundings, and with their children old enough she felt content to let him range to see if he could find any other of their blood. There were wayward cubs of theirs, grown to adults now she knew, that she longed for and wondered about. But she was happy with what she had before her, and would never take it for granted or forget such. When Osiris came, she was grateful for the distraction. He was in good spirits, and it seemed contagious despite her stony features. For all of that, her gaze contrasted the rest in its softness and its warmth when cast upon her son.

Hydra watched him, settling primly on her hindquarters. Her mind was at work, but she looked present. Her senses remained attuned to their surroundings, listening for any potential threats that might come upon them. Truthfully, Empyrean did well with removing them far before they would ever reach this point... but she was ever prepared.

the staff team luvs u
Misc Skill
08-26-2022, 11:01 PM
Osiris pushed aside a crow’s skeleton and revealed a stone that had been loosely wrapped in a snake skin. He had done his best to make it inconspicuous, but the curled up shedding made it stick out among his treasures. After carefully unwrapping the stone, he picked it up and turned to face his mother.

”This is the rock that I found for Leta,” he said once he had placed it at her paws. Hydra was an expert when it came to trinkets, and he wanted her seal of approval before moving forward. ”Do you think it’s good enough?”

the staff team luvs u
10-20-2022, 12:49 AM
Inspired by my friends MIL, here, LMAOOOOO.

Hydra looked at the beautiful stone. She knew who it was for, and what it meant, even before he spoke... and yet she could not help but ask: “why have you not found such a lovely thing for me?”—who could tell if she meant it, or if she jested? Perhaps there was some truth in the jest; Hydra herself thought nothing of the words, though she did want such a lovely treasure for herself. Dirge had been gone on his travels for some time; perhaps he would bring something back for her. It must be him Osiris found this giving spirit from! Certainly not from her.

“It is perfect, my son. If she does not love it, it would mean her eye is not so sharp as yours, or mine. We can only hope my grandchildren would inherit ours...” an idle comment, but all that Hydra said had its purpose! She gazed at him sidelong, knowing how it all went. First came love, then marriage, then came... well, she would think no more on it, though she quietly delighted at what he might.

the staff team luvs u
Misc Skill
10-20-2022, 01:16 AM
“Why have you not found such a lovely thing for me?” Hydra asked.

Osiris couldn’t tell if she was joking or not, and decided to err on the side of caution. ”Who says I haven’t been looking for a stone for you?” he replied smoothly; he now had the task of finding his mother an even better gemstone. ”Whose to say it isn’t in here, either?” he added, humming as he looked around his trinket store. There were various skulls, gemstones, and bones scattered about the cave in an order that only made sense to Osiris.

His gaze lingered on a moose antler—his most recent find. He hadn’t cleaned off the fur towards the base, and it was rough around the edges, but he would clean it up soon enough.

”Mother—our genes are strong,” he assured her, grinning. ”Of course they’ll have our eyes.” He wasn’t shy about speaking about his future children—especailly with his mother.

the staff team luvs u
Misc Skill
10-20-2022, 03:54 PM
Her eyes lit up as he spoke. Hydra was a vain woman, and appreciated gifts; flattery could get one places with the matriarch. So too could decent gifts. “Oh?” she asked, taking a step nearer to his treasure trove and none-too-idly looking over his shoulder. But they two were dragons with these items, and these things were his own finds. That much she could respect, even if she knew he would give to her what she asked.

She looked to her son as she withdrew, looking to her boy-grown-man with a gaze filled with her affection toward him. Blink, and one might miss it. Hydra was again looking to the item he had found for a soon-to-be daughter.

“I suppose you are right. You have my blessing,” she drawled, “and were your father home, I am certain you would have his in this as well.” Her nose moved to press against his brow, and she closed her eyes for a moment. She went back to a time when she need not reach up for this gesture, when he was as small as her paw and needed her for all things.

How the time passed, and how quickly it went, was still a marvel to her. She wished her mother and father could know the man she had raised, along with his brothers and sisters.

the staff team luvs u
Misc Skill
10-24-2022, 10:34 PM
”Thank you,” Osiris replied. He wondered where Dirge was—and more importantly what he was doing—but he pushed the thought aside. ”We won’t let you down.” It was up in the air of what exactly he meant by that, but it was something he always promised his mother when she granted him a new privilege.

He nudged Hydra’s cheek as he pulled away. ”I might have to go away for a day or two when I look for your stone,” he forewarned; he knew that he wanted to grab he a large piece of onyx that he’d seen before. It was along the border of Stone Mountain and Irchorwood and the length of his trip would depend of how quickly it took him to find it.

”Will you keep an eye on Leta—incase she goes into season while I’m away?” Osiris had been anticipating it since he’d been seriously considering their marriage and he didn’t want his miss out on his chance of creating the next generation of Ostregas.

the staff team luvs u
Paladin
11-02-2022, 01:55 AM
The matriarch looked to her son. She felt certain that he would not. Hydra saw in him all that she had hoped for among the brothers and sisters of his own litter... and where they were, she did not know. But Osiris... he made the sting of such a truth less. He was meant for greatness, and she was only glad to be able to see it in him at least. The rest... Hydra knew they, too, were meant for such. That she could bear witness to the light of her cubs radiated was a blessing she did not overlook.

She could not understand what happened that had separated them even still... but she would protect all that remained with her life. And Leta was among that number now, even before bearing the title of his intended. She was Empyrean.

But she was not insulted that her son asked such of her. Hydra had taught him to be thorough, and he, too, was a protector. And if he was busy finding her stone... well, she supposed she could humor the question at least. All the same, she would let him know, “I will always look out for her.” Hydra stepped toward him, nosing his cheek.

“Come, stow that away and let us patrol for a while before you go,” she drawled. He might be absent, but his scent would be fresh. Two days was nothing at all, and before it grew stale he would be able to do as they did now. Hydra waited for him to do just that before leading the way.

the staff team luvs u
Misc Skill
11-06-2022, 11:23 PM
“I will always look out for her.” she promised. "Thank you," he replied, nosing her in turn. 

Osiris led Hydra—once the gemstone was hidden, of course—towards a stream at the base of The Nameless Mountain where he often hunted for rocks. He often succeeded in finding unique rocks there, and their jaunt was no exception. He found a piece of agate an hour or so into their search. He gifted it to his mother with the promise: "This is one to tide you over until I find you a more fitting stone." They continued to wade for a while longer, finding some interesting rocks along the way, and simply enjoying each other's company.

the staff team luvs u
scroll to top