Welcome to Canis Major

a wolf and animal rpg (role-playing game)

Canis is a writing community for play-by-post (forum-based), freeform roleplay set in a fictional dream world in the intrusion fantasy genre. Most characters on Canis are wolves; many play elements are focused around wolves and canids, but the world makes room for a large variety of other animal characters such as dogs, horses, cats, bears, deer, and many, many more.

Our community is focused on flexibility, creativity, and collaboration. That boils down to a few important features:

• There is no set activity requirement to write
  • The setting and plot are member-created and staff-supported
  • The game is continuously improved to increase fun and decrease stress

Learn more in our Rulebook!

AW
I used to Wish that I Could Fly

Evening Sunny/Clear
AW
Nightwalkers
Adventurer
07-22-2022, 09:58 PM
on NW borders <3

A yawn emitted the yearling’s jaws as she awoke from her slumber, tilting her head back as a second filtered through.
 She shook her head ruffly, squeezing her eyes open and shut before scanning the area.

What.

This… wasn’t.. home..? Where was she? The young woman swung her head around, panic fluttering in her chest as her heart attempted great feats of gymnastics.
 Though.. a scent wafted past her nose; Dirty and bloody, though… pack-like..?

It wasn’t anything Alis wanted to be involved with, that was for sure;
 So, gait fast and ready to run, the yearling swirled around, paws quickly scrambling to get out of there before someone found her…

Short post cos i’m writing on mobile lmao

the staff team luvs u
Adventurer
08-08-2022, 06:12 AM
The elken boy traveled north alongside his siblings, though at times they would split paths remaining close enough to be at one another’s beckoning call. Now was one of those moments he had drifted to be alone. He loved his siblings, @Edith and @Warwick especially, but he still found himself wanting time to himself if only for his own sanity as the trio explored.

Calhoun grazed the home he had come to frequent, the stench of Blackwood bleeding out even here. He never did grow accustom to the scent, but he couldn’t find it in himself to turn away the mentor he needed. Still, he did not particularly wish to run into @Vengeance today. Moss blanketed his steps as lazy ears flicked to listen to his surroundings. It was only when he heard hurried footsteps that he paused.

Soon enough a figure came scrambling, a girl closer to his age than any other beside his sisters, though she was drenched in the unholy bleaching that took away from what were rather pretty features. Calhoun resisted the urge to curl his lip at her pelt. She was revolting, but he quickly would remind himself that ignorance was a fault that could be corrected. Those stains were not her fault. Not yet.

You shouldn’t be here. She was too close to monsters that lurked, not that he cared particularly. She didn’t belong. It was as simple as that. He couldn’t smell the scent of others on her fur, she’d have no one to protect her should she be caught. Maybe no one who would look either.

the staff team luvs u
08-09-2022, 03:52 AM

The yearling tried to run, they really did, but quickly, they were found. 
 No, no, no, her thoughts prayed, still trying to run. Don't you dare stop me. It's not like he was weak, but... Alis certainly hadn't trained nearly as hard as her siblings had. Don't touch me.

So, they continued to push forwards, dodging past trees and throwing himself over bushes;

Run, run, run, their brain screamed. Run. Alis knew that of this wolf caught her, she'd be in danger, but the yearling wasn't smart enough to consider that running may only anger the stranger even more...
 Billowy frame with legs skinny enough to snap underneath even the slightest pressure; That was the yearling.

Apologies for the short post! Just a lil something to get the ball rolling ;)

the staff team luvs u
Paladin
08-09-2022, 07:56 PM
The boy sighed as he watched the girl continue her strides. It seemed she had no intention of stopping which...only made this more of a pain than it needed to be. Frankly, it mattered little to him if she passed so close to the Nightwalkers, but he was technically with them as much as he was Elkshire and so it was his duty to question her or make sure she continued on her way. Rolling his eyes, Calhoun took chase with long strides to try and corner or get her to stop. It shouldn't be hard for him to catch up with the endurance and muscle he had built, but it was an effort all the same. Hey! Don't be difficult!

the staff team luvs u
08-10-2022, 06:05 AM

”Hey! Don’t be difficult!” The stranger chasing her had ordered. Well, sorry, Alis didn’t really feel like listening to someone who was chasing them. That didn’t seem very nice.

“You could try being more civil..!” The yearling shouted back, screwing her eyes shut and barreling forwards. Probably shouldn’t of said that..
 Oops, whatever, too late now.

So, they continued, stamina lacking as he ran. Uh oh, uh oh, no, no, no!! He could not slow down. Not yet!

The yearling panted as they slowed, kicking up dirt as a final attempt to try and thwart their chaser. No, no, no! Her paws were aching, tired from the effort of running after just waking up.

Not fair at all, but was anything really fair?
 Didn’t seem like it.

the staff team luvs u
Paladin
08-22-2022, 03:37 AM
I was trying to warn you! His words were released with a frustrated growl as he continued his pursuit. If they wished to ignore him then so be it, but it wasn't his fault if she trespassed or drew a loud enough commotion to bring someone worse. Fortunately, she wouldn't last long as her steps slowed and her breath grew heavy. Calhoun used the moment to close the distance, though winced as dirt was quickly thrown in his eyes.

Would— you— STOP?! Annoyed he lashed out in an attempt to grab a hindleg mid-air between his teeth, though if he managed to grab her he wouldn't apply enough pressure to draw blood. That would only happen should they struggle more and rip free from his grasp and if they did he'd pull her back.

the staff team luvs u
08-22-2022, 03:46 AM

Wincing after the stranger's teeth wrapped around her back leg, Alis shouted in pain. "I was trying to warn you!" He'd shouted prior. “Could of said that earlier!” She said, now rolled on her sighed, panting.

Tired and exhausted, he lay still, eyes screwed shut. “What ar'you gonna do now?” Alis asked after a few moments. “Kill me?” It probably wasn't likely, but the yearling would be an easy target. Especially when they were so tired.

the staff team luvs u
Paladin
08-22-2022, 04:13 AM
Thankfully for both, she was quick to give up her fight. Just another reason she did not belong. Calhoun released his grip having no need for it now that she had stopped. I did. Why did you run? Or what had she run from first? The lines had now blurred as to rather or not his presence caused her sprint, but it made his once generosity now a chore. You think every wolf is a killer? He had no reason to kill her. What would he possibly gain from that? She wasn't inherently wrong though, not here. Some in Blackwood would gladly toy with her for their own amusement or worse.

If you know what's good for you, you'll keep your voice low and hope your commotion hasn't drawn someone already. It was perhaps his last olive branch as he took the time to finally look her over. She didn't look injured. Older than him, but still young. At first, he had mistaken her coloring for white, but it was now clear she only held His colors, faint as the cream may be... perhaps there was a reason he was the one who found her first.

What are you doing here?

the staff team luvs u
08-22-2022, 04:26 AM

“I did. Why did you run?” Alis thought that saying "You shouldn't be here" to someone was more of a threat than a warning, but the yearling shivered at the question. I was scared, she wanted to say. There was really no reason not to, and since this yearling was younger than Alis, why'd they feel afraid?

What was the point of holding back, though? Alis sighed. “I was scared,” He admitted. “You're right; I shouldn't be here. I don't know where I am, or how I got here.” “You think every wolf is a killer?” Well . . . Not every wolf was kind, either. “No,” Alis admitted. “But not all wolves chase after strangers and latch onto their leg, either.”

And then, the boy said something that Alis was sure was a threat. “If you know what's good for you, you'll keep your voice low and hope your commotion hasn't drawn someone already.” “I don't have much of a choice,” With a growl, the yearling would try to get out from under the stranger, shaking out their fur and turning to look at him, before sitting.

“No idea,” It was the truth, as much as it sucked it say. “Randomly woke up here, away from my family. That's why I ran.” He didn't want to have "tone" with this wolf that had others scent all over him, but man was Alis disgruntled with this whole . . . Situation.

the staff team luvs u
Paladin
08-22-2022, 04:52 AM
You left me little choice. He'd retort back without pause. She could justify herself all she wanted, it wasn't as if he hurt her and he didn't want to. Again. No reason. She'd squirm out from him as he busied himself with what dirt still watered his eyes with a grunt. If you're scared of me then nightmares lurk where the haze takes the woods. That's what I'm trying to warn you of. He wasn't inherently betraying the Nightwalkers if he never called himself loyal to begin with. Besides, he was keeping their borders clear while simultaneously preventing a fly from walking into a web. His father wouldn't starve from the loss.

If you wish to run then run north. Why? Well, he didn't exactly trust his mother to not poison her with lies and it was her or Vengeance so long as she stayed here. At least she'd have a chance elsewhere...What do you mean you randomly woke up here? That doesn't happen. Maybe she had frightened herself so much that she ran until she collapsed and then quickly repeated upon regaining consciousness. It was the only thing that made sense to him unless she was taken, but in that case where was her kidnapper???

My siblings and I are heading towards the mountains if you are so scared of being alone. The offer was left without much thought. He wasn't sure why he had offered, but it's not like she would be forced to stay or even accept. Her intrusion on the trio's journey was...risky if certain topics came up, but perhaps he could poke her brain about the High Elk while they traveled. She would be safe in his light and it would be pleasant to have someone He actually trusted. Then again she was missing her family and would likely see them out... It wouldn't be favorable unless they too held blessed coloring, but perhaps favor would come his way anyhow for aiding. Maybe you will find your way home.

the staff team luvs u
08-22-2022, 05:07 AM (This post was last modified: 08-22-2022, 05:08 AM by Alis. Edited 1 time in total.)

"You left me little choice" Alis huffed in a frustrated matter, furrowing her brows and turning her nose away, if only slightly. Fuckin' hell, this boy was annoying. He could've said "please slow down, this place is dangerous, let me talk to you" and use some manners, but nooooo, of course he had to grab her by the leg! FUCK! She wanted to shout in his face and turn away, but then he spoke again. “If you're scared of me then nightmares lurk where the haze takes the woods. That's what I'm trying to warn you of.”

She almost chuckled. No need to be so poetic, but instead, she rolled her eyes and said something that not even she'd though to expect; “Well, thank you, but I don't think I can be blamed for seeing someone chasing me and thinking "oh shit, I might die," and keep running. As much as Alis was annoyed, he did somehow acknowledge the fact that the other yearling was only trying to help. At least the intentions were good, right? They began to feel themselves calming down.

“Yeah, sure,” Alis sighed, rolling his eyes as he turned his gaze towards the north, where mountains stood tall. Hm, that'd be nice, would it not? Maybe the yearling would run in to someone nicer. “What do you mean you randomly woke up here? That doesn't happen.” Well, seemed this guy just kept butting heads with him. 
“Well, I don't know what to tell you, but it did. Sorry. And then . . .  He invited her to travel with him and his siblings?? The hell??

What? They didn't even know one another's name, why was he so quick to invite a stranger to travel up north with them and their siblings? “Maybe you will find your way home.” Oh, okay. Right, it was probably just to make sure Alis got out of their territory.
“Maybe I will . . .” She murmured. Maybe travelling with the would help. “Sure, I'll travel with you.” And, with a sigh, Alis realised that sharing their name's would be necessary. This does not make us friends. As much as he'd like to be friends with someone . . .

“The name's Alis. Alis Anges. You?”

the staff team luvs u
Adventurer
08-22-2022, 05:23 AM
Explaining how lucky she was to be found by HIM proved to be comparable to bashing one's head against a tree. They were only going to go in circles and he saw no point in arguing with her further. She would either learn and cry about it or carry on ignorant to things far scarier than a fresh yearling. He nearly opened his maw to argue again as she insisted on her unrealistic scenario, but decided to save himself some headache and move on.

She had...agreed to come with him. Again, not really sure how to feel about it despite him being the one to offer, but he supposed it was a sign in itself. What was meant to be would happen through His guidance. All Calhoun had to do was trust. Unfortunately, he was not so trusting of the stranger now accompanying him. She offered her name, but he had already vowed to keep his birth name reserved for those of kin or followers.

Tabris. It wasn't a lie really. It was the name his father gave him and one he had gone by since staying with the Nightwalkers. If he could shake hands he just might have, but instead, he opted to move to his paws as he took a few steps before glancing back, My siblings should be nearby still. We were only passing through for the night.

could maybe wrap up and have another thread with @Edith and @Warwick 1_face_thoughtful

the staff team luvs u
08-22-2022, 05:33 AM
Works for me! Sorry for how annoying Alis is being lmao

Thankfully, he remained silent. Alis didn't feel like arguing any longer, and almost snapped her teeth at him when it looked like he was just about to say something. The yearling would've loved to threaten the other back, but he knew he was incapable of doing much, certainly weaker than all their buffer and just . . . overall better siblings.

"Tabris," He said, and Alis considered making a snarky remark about it. But, no, he hadn't said anything about her name, so she left it alone. Instead, they rose, just as Tabris did, and narrowed their eyes as the boy spoke again. “My siblings should be nearby still. We were only passing through for the night.” Alis nodded.

“The faster we get out of this place, the better.” She said. “Too deathly for my liking, not enough cute elk and their calf.” Alis had always liked watching the ungulates mill and graze, they were . . . peaceful. Something the yearling yearned for in this specific situation. “And too many random yearlings chasing after strangers.” A smile grew on Alis's face, one that – instead of jeering or being sarcastic – was actually them trying to make light of something.

the staff team luvs u
09-06-2022, 07:22 AM
Sorry for the wait :'^) life busy for me and the siblings cal is traveling with rn. I can get another thread up once I catch up more on my owed replies unless you want to start something or join a thread in the mountains Warwick and cal are already in?

"The faster we get out of this place, the better."

She could say that again, but she still was blissfully unaware of what horrors he had just saved her from. Surely it must have been the High Elk's will...why else would she even mention elk when he hadn't even brought it up? You...follow the herds? He'd leave his question vague not wanting to share more than necessary should he be wrong or she turned out to be some freak...but maybe she was already a follower of Him. But a follower outside his family or pack...that was unheard of, wasn't it? Had He spared other families?

His astonishment was shortlived as she jested causing a roll of his eyes, though at least this time it seemed far less hostile. I told you already, it's because you wouldn't stop. Maybe she shouldn't meet @Edith. Only the High Elk knows how disastrous it would be if she found another girl to poke and prod at people.

the staff team luvs u
09-25-2022, 03:56 AM
Whatever works with u! Feel free to PM me <3

“You...follow the herds?” Uh... no? “My old home was near a herd... does that count? They used to migrate there a lot, and just kinda... chill. We never really hunted them, my grandmother said they were good luck or something, since they didn't mind us 'being on their territory', or something. Why?”

Yet it seemed that he'd always stay true to his character, even when the yearling was just trying to make a joke. “I told you already, it's because you wouldn't stop.” “Do you know what a joke is?” She chuckled with a similar roll of her eyes. Whatever, they should get going soon, anyway. “If you want me to travel with you, we should get going. It's getting darker by the minute.”

She'd take a few steps aside, flicking her tail impatiently, with a look that read 'hurry up and lead the way'. Forever awaiting others to make a move, she was. Perhaps Alis was just... too quick for them, and that wasn't necessarily good... nor bad.

the staff team luvs u
10-03-2022, 09:03 PM
Cal would listen carefully to the rather vague explanation. She could have easily come from some group that just happened to tolerate elk, but...the coincidence felt too strong given everything else that had surfaced as of late. Maybe they really did know of the High Elk, or at the very least faint tales of him. She needed guidance, but she was far closer to the correct path than the others his mother brought in. My family also spares elk. We live where the herds rest and act as their protectors. I'll save the rest for another day.

She was right, it was getting late and they still needed to put distance between them and the Nightwalkers. Alright, let's see if your legs move as fast as your mouth then. Never mind the fact that he had just chased her. She wanted him to go fast? Then she better be able to keep up. He'd give no other warning as he took off through the dimly lit woods, only occasionally glancing back to make sure she was actually following still before continuing. By the time they broke from the treeline the moon had already settled above, though fortunately, his siblings had stopped for the night just up ahead.

https://canismajor-rpg.com/showthread.php?tid=7470 I'm really late to making this lol. since the trio kinda split up during their travels we can say she maybe saw @Warwick and @Edith briefly but maybe didn't super interact as an excuse for not having that thread/pushing it to a later date since Edith went home. gonna wrap this one here but we can say she was on and off following cal unless she split off completely!

the staff team luvs u
scroll to top