Welcome to Canis Major

a wolf and animal rpg (role-playing game)

Canis is a writing community for play-by-post (forum-based), freeform roleplay set in a fictional dream world in the intrusion fantasy genre. Most characters on Canis are wolves; many play elements are focused around wolves and canids, but the world makes room for a large variety of other animal characters such as dogs, horses, cats, bears, deer, and many, many more.

Our community is focused on flexibility, creativity, and collaboration. That boils down to a few important features:

• There is no set activity requirement to write
  • The setting and plot are member-created and staff-supported
  • The game is continuously improved to increase fun and decrease stress

Learn more in our Rulebook!

AW
your hand on my neck

AW
07-22-2022, 03:05 AM
While not satiated as a wolf should be, the woman lounged on field rocks. Belly containing the meat of a few rodents, though they were not voles or mice, not even rabbits. She had never seen such creatures before, but they were tasty all the same.

Her wounds were healing nicely, as she spent a few days in the fields. It was a nice place to relax before her eventual moving on. She needed the mountains, something called her there and she knew that is where she must go. The way they loomed over the surrounding land, it gave her a rise of authority. If she was to lead, she must do it from the mountains.

Sprawled out onto a rock and enjoying the sun on her fur, the woman was clearly pleased. She had not been able to enjoy subtle warmth but, being out of the desert and finding time to truly relax gave her that ability again. Being away from the horrid place was already a blessing and yet so far, she hadn't encountered any fellow wolves who wished for her blood. Or any Warcrest, for that matter. Did they even care she was gone?

the staff team luvs u
[Image: 89HrhAg.png]
3 - 3 - 3
07-22-2022, 03:18 AM (This post was last modified: 07-22-2022, 03:18 AM by Boa. Edited 1 time in total.)

The man had ventured further today, straying from the cold, harsh mountain and savouring the feeling of grass underpass before he'd turn back around and head towards the saltwater ocean. Eventually, he'd get back to Mei.

One – well, the only one – way he could lift the feeling of gilt from his shoulders was with knowledge.
 The further he strayed, the more he learnt, and the more he learnt meant the more he could teach the woman.

With a sigh, Boa continued throughout the trees, before he the break of the forest was on the horizon. Right there. He saw it. Leisurely walk speeding to a quick sprint, the man hurried towards – what looked like – the plains. 

Bushes rustled as he pushed past them, broad shoulders heaving as he panted from the fast and short run, but, the sent of wolf, blood and prey quickly caught his nose, and the beast's attention was caught for a moment.
 It seemed he was meeting many strangers throughout this mountain, though he couldn't complain.

With one more sniff, he began forwards, stalking through the uncomfortably low grass..

One round out!

the staff team luvs u
3-2-3
07-22-2022, 11:30 PM
His scent caught on the wind, the woman turned up her nose. Eyes searching back and forth for their distinct orange shade, which crept through short grass and rocks closer to her. Her eyes narrowed before she barked, announcing herself and letting the feline know she saw him.
"What do you want, cat?" Her voice laden with a subtle grumble, unhappy to be disturbed- especially by a cat.

The pale woman didn't move from atop her rock, merely raised her head and puffed her chest to seem bigger.

the staff team luvs u
3 - 3 - 3
07-24-2022, 01:47 AM

The beast chuckled at how the stranger seemed to be displeased by the very fact that he was a feline. He decided not to take it personally, though, and padded towards the cream-pelted woman.

“Nothing, nothing. Just passing through” It seemed his English pronunciation was getting better, his accent only just grasping a few certain words. “You seem to be enjoying yourself, no?” 

With a huff and a rumble that seemed to shake the very earth, Boa sat, tilting his head and studying the woman with curiosity.
 It seemed she'd gotten in a bad fight, though it would've been old with how well her wounds seem to be healing up. Was she good at healing? Had she treated herself, or was someone else with her here, now?

The man took a weary sniff, before shaking his head lightly and returning his attention to the stranger in front of him, who appeared to be trying to make herself look bigger, scarier, almost.
 He had to suppress a chuckle.

“Are you alright?” His tone was laced with a question he dare not ask, as he didn't want to be snapped at, though if she decided it was okay, she could answer; What happened to you? “Your wounds seem to be healing up well.”

the staff team luvs u
3-2-3
07-24-2022, 04:22 AM (This post was last modified: 07-24-2022, 04:25 AM by Sabira. Edited 1 time in total.)
She was surprised to meet another so decent in behavior, especially a cat. The expression on her face softened a bit. Even a cat knew to respect her better than some of the fools on this land.

The woman nodded to his question and flopped her tail a bit. "The sun is very enjoyable on these rocks." She revealed to him, relaxing and resting more on her shoulder. 

Her eyes squinted suspiciously as he found rest and, too, laid down. Clearly she didn't mind too terribly, even if he was a stinky old cat. At least he wasn't trying to bully her away or ruin her day, which was better than what she had experienced so far. Sabira observed as he looked around and sniffed, unknowing if it was some sort of peaceful cat body language that she didn't know about.

The woman's ears flattened to his question but, she did not turn up her nose. She felt weak to even have wounds, and her muscles tensed in response. Shifting back up into a stronger position, still laying. "By the grace of god." She said, a bit sarcastically. "Water is a source of healing, you know." Sabira took the opportunity to mansplain(womansplain?) a bit but, also subtly explain that she had healed on her own. It felt stronger that way, to know that her body fought through and healed itself without much assistance. In reality, she was lucky any of them didn't get infected or worse. The woman could've lost a limb or died. 

Sabira turned her head away from the tiger, trying to distract herself from the topic. The memory didn't bring her any comfort and only worked to remind her that she was likely still being hunted.

the staff team luvs u
3 - 3 - 3
07-24-2022, 04:59 AM

A cackling laugh boomed from his maw as the woman made her sarcastic statement, and physically tilted his head back. “Ah,” He panted, left with no breath after a good laugh. “You are a funny one.”

He nodded as she went on about how water was a source of healing and such, tilting his head curiously as she spoke. Perhaps she could teach him.. though they barely knew each other.

“That's quite impressive,” Boa spoke in an awed manner, fascinated by such a skill. Though, the man doubted a beastly tiger could learn such a gentle and, well, dainty, art form. “How? I mean, how'd you heal yourself?”
 He'd await an answer, before nodding.

Though once she turned her head away, the beast knew to drop the conversation, and instead turned his nose back to the air. Perhaps she'd be happy if he hunted something for her?
 The stranger didn't really seem very co-dependent, but neither was he and the man loved free food.

Stranger, right. 
“I'm Boa, by the way,” He started idly, still searching for a snack. “You do not have to tell me your name, if you do not want to.”

He understood what it was like to.. go through things. Boa gave but a simple invitation to talk, and if she didn't want to talk, they wouldn't talk.
 It didn't concern the beast one bit.

the staff team luvs u
3-2-3
07-25-2022, 05:32 AM
Her tail unknowingly swished to see the feline laugh at her sarcasm. Eyes watching curiously, unsure how she caused such rise in him. Yet strangely charmed to have done it either way, though she tried not to show such thoughts on her face.

He continued on but, she struggled to answer in a way that was delicate for herself. Yet instead she observed how the cat stood and began sniffing around. What was he searching for? Sabira wasn't so sure she hadn't already scared everything off, if he was looking for a snack.
To think what could feed such a big animal. How fast. Could he carry himself to catch it? The woman hadn't spent much time thinking of the lives of cats before now.

"Sabira. It's a name I'm most proud of." She responded, and seemed pleased to share it. To her it was name built on strength, and the more she journeyed and the more she pushed on, the more true that meaning became to her.

the staff team luvs u
3 - 3 - 3
Hunter
07-25-2022, 04:31 PM (This post was last modified: 07-28-2022, 03:29 AM by Boa. Edited 1 time in total.)

Unfazed by the fact that the woman hadn't answered his previous questions, Boa nodded as she stated her name, only half-paying-attention as his nose caught on to something. 
 Pika. 
 He was familiar with the small rodent, but if he could catch two, maybe this Sabira lady would like some.

He flicked his tail at the woman, before dropping in to a low crouch. The scent was close, slow, and he was surprised he hadn't made it out earlier.
 Stalking forwards, the squeaking and the chirping of the pika quickly grew louder, and the beast pounced with out-stretched claws.

It was an easy, quick meal; But, he was already full, so, he returned to Sabira and dropped in near her boulder, backing away from the prey.

“You can have it, if you want,” Boa offered, dipping his crown. “But if not, I will gladly take it.”

the staff team luvs u
3-2-3
Formation
Adventurer
07-25-2022, 05:38 PM (This post was last modified: 08-09-2022, 06:51 AM by Sabira. Edited 1 time in total.)
She watched intently as he stalked away a bit, slinking around the rocks like an enormous stripped snake. Even up until he pounced, she watched with an intrigued and judging eye.

Her head lifted in a curious surprise when he presented the meal to her. Nobody had done that for her, at least not since she was but a child.
For the first time in a while, she actually let a subtle smile stretch her maw, though she shook her head to deny the pretty item.
"I have already filled my belly, though I appreciate the sentiment." Her tail wagged a bit, but came to an end as that look of curiosity came about again.

"You would make a fine creature for my kingdom." The pale woman admitted, looking at him a bit more intensely then she had before. "And I hate cats so, that's saying something."

the staff team luvs u
3 - 3 - 3
07-25-2022, 05:46 PM

The man nodded his head in understanding, taking the rodent and moving it aside for later.
 He still felt like holding up a conversation, so once the were finished, he'd tuck into his meal.

Boa couldn't help but attempt to suppress a chuckle as Sabira wagged her tail, whether purposefully or not. It was amusing, especially to a non-canine like himself.

“Your kingdom, you say?” He replied, a silky tone lacing his tongue that quickly turned to a chuckle at her next statement. “Well, colour me complimented.”
 The tiger dipped his head and reached out the sole of his paw and a grateful manner, before curling his tail around his feet and perking his ears.

“Is this kingdom.. established, yet? Or, will you need some help?” Boa felt.. odd.. willingly giving himself over to a group so easily? He felt as if he were betraying Mei.. but...
 Maybe Sabira would let Mei join, since the ocean-loving woman and the beast were... friends...

the staff team luvs u
3-2-3
Formation
Adventurer
07-26-2022, 12:39 AM (This post was last modified: 08-09-2022, 06:51 AM by Sabira. Edited 1 time in total.)
"Yes, a kingdom." The woman mimicked him a bit. "A place where even the lowest of creatures can pursue something more noble.. more, scholarly." She lifted her paw and inspected it a bit, posh in the way she did so.
"Even a beast like you could pursue a medical career, if that's what interests you." Her eyes looked him up and down when she turned her head, their honey amber glowing in the mid-day shine.

"No, not yet. I'm seeking proper grounds in the mountains, something of a respite for me and my scholars." The way she spoke sounded a bit like an invitation, and the matter of her saying the intended location to boot. She looked still intently at the cat, waiting further questions of intrigue. How she did love it when questions were asked, and answers could be given.

Yes, even a stinky old cat could find greater purpose in her government. This she was confident about.

the staff team luvs u
3 - 3 - 3
Paladin
07-26-2022, 12:55 AM

She confirmed it, a Kingdom. It sounded all too... familiar; As if he were paranoid, yet.. this seemed like a brilliant opportunity to meet others and actually have guaranteed safety.
 Not only he could be safe, though. He could protect others of the kingdom, and Boa found himself quickly coming to liking that idea.

“Hah, no, I am not interested in the medical career myself, but, I do have something in mind..” 
 He wouldn't tell her the thought just yet. That'd ruin the surprise, no? Instead, the man perked his ears as Sabira explained how the Kingdom lacked territory. 

The beast dipped his head in understanding, though quirked a signal brow.

“In the mountains, you say? Why's that?”
 Perhaps he could go do some scouting over there... find somewhere for them to stay..?

“Or is it just for sentimental value?” If Boa was being serious, though, Sabira didn't seem to be one to have many good memories, at least, from the way she acted.
 His voice had a teasing tone, thought and the statement was more to lighten up the mood.

He would wait for an answer, before revealing his idea; “If you were to... accept me in to this kingdom..” The man begun, slowly. “I believe that I could serve and protect. I am probably bigger than any wolf; I am a shield.”

the staff team luvs u
3-2-3
Formation
Adventurer
07-26-2022, 01:33 AM (This post was last modified: 08-09-2022, 06:52 AM by Sabira. Edited 1 time in total.)
Sabira was surprised with his further intrigue and was grateful the cat was allowing her to voice this idea.
"It feels familiar and safe, though I have no reason why." Her voice laden with a melancholy aftertaste, wishing for memories that were now void and empty. Did she even ever have a mother? She couldn't remember.
But the mountains felt like such arms, warm and caring. A maternal feeling in them, calling and inviting Sabira to feel safe within their grasp. Yet they had a silent cold to them, though this she seemed not to mind.
She had felt this way about every aspect in her plan. Even down to the idea of a monarchy. Such echos of memories did linger, even if she found no ability to place them.

Her eyebrow raised to the cat's words. "Then you would find honour in such work." She gave an idle nod, acting out her expressions. "A kingdom will always need the mighty and brave to guard it." Her tone very matter-of-fact and confident.

the staff team luvs u
3 - 3 - 3
07-26-2022, 02:08 AM

As Sabira explained how she thought the mountains were familiar and safe, Boa hummed lightly, neither agreeing nor disagreeing.

He could see her argument, though; Mountains were solid, unmovable forces that keep out anyone that may want to hurt you, but, then again... they were so tall and imposing, they were chilling to the bone.
 What if you were crushed under a rockslide?

Then you would find honour in such work, The queenly-woman had stated. Queen Sabira. He could get used to it.
 And, the woman continued. Boa struggled not to blush in the midst of compliments. A kingdom will always need the mighty and brave to defend it. 

“And that's exactly what I plan to do,” He hesitated in saying your highness or your majesty just yet, since it seemed too odd at the moment;
 Especially when they barely knew one another.

Was he the first to take interest in her kingdom, or the hundredth?
“If I may, I mean. If you would like me as a part of this kingdom you talk about.”

the staff team luvs u
3-2-3
Formation
Adventurer
07-26-2022, 04:03 PM (This post was last modified: 08-09-2022, 06:52 AM by Sabira. Edited 1 time in total.)
She seemed visibly surprised that he took to the idea so swiftly but, then again his behavior so far was only wrought of an intelligent and loyal creature. Her lips softened to a smile, dipping her head slightly.

"Come find me soon, in the mountains. If you have any companions who act much like yourself, they too will be welcomed within my walls. You could bring them along if you wish." The woman explained before turning and directing a paw towards the mountain of her choosing. "That is where you will find me."

The expression she held was serious, yet hopeful. She may not like cats but, sometimes she was aware of the need to put aside our likes and dislikes for the greater good. And this one seemed decent enough, capable and strong.

"You may call me too ambitious but, I want that mountain in particular." She jested but, wouldn't be surprised if her joke went under the bridge and not over. Sabira wasn't always the best with humour.

the staff team luvs u
3 - 3 - 3
07-26-2022, 09:55 PM

The beast hummed as Sabira signalled to the mountains. That is where you will find me, she spoke.
 He nodded, and turned his gaze to scan over such tall-standing beasts.

Though, his serious and brooding expression wasn’t there for long, because as soon as she said she wanted that mountain in particular,
 Boa erupted.

Another rumbling chuckle, as if the earth and ground was about to split apart, and he aimed a tail-flick at Sabira’s nose.

“You really are a funny one, eh?” The man sighed, another laugh exiting his maw.
 He stood, stretching in a feline-like fashion, and flexed his shoulders and paws. There’d be a long day ahead of him..

“I’ll go find wolves and creatures worthy for your kingdom, Sabira,” He announced. “Any specifics? No dogs? No horses? I already know you want limited cats, 
 Boa smiled a goofy grin at his own joke, awaiting the queens answer.

the staff team luvs u
3-2-3
Formation
Adventurer
07-27-2022, 03:16 PM (This post was last modified: 08-09-2022, 06:52 AM by Sabira. Edited 1 time in total.)
The woman reflexed back to avoid a proper booping. Giving sly glances left and right to see if his booming laughter would alert anyone out there. Thankfully not, and she turned back to the cat with a smile.

She observed his long, stretch and how his paws stretched with the rest of him. His paws were massive, to say the least. Perhaps having a cat around would be all that bad, especially one with some decency.

It was almost foreign to the pale queen, but a weird bubbling rose up to his statement that hadn't been there in a long while. A soft giggle did leave her, dainty in the way it did. Especially so in comparison to the tiger's much louder laughter.
"Hah! Very funny!" She used a paw to hide her face a bit amidst her giggling.
"But no, All who are willing to improve themselves for something greater are welcome." The white wolf finished up her statement with a serious smile, letting the glee and giggling officially die down.

The queen wouldn't be too prime to admit it was a cat that had made her laugh after so long.

the staff team luvs u
3 - 3 - 3
07-28-2022, 03:38 AM

The man smiled. Very funny, Sabira had said, and Boa couldn't help but feel proud.
 Though, she quickly refused his offer in finding people for her kingdom. What a shame, how would you ever figure out if they were worthy when you never asked or looked..? 

But, all Boa did was dip his head in understanding.

“Of course, but, respectfully..” He started, slowly. “Why not at least observe? And if they seem worthy enough for the kingdom... let them know of it? They come on their own terms, of course.”

The tiger delivered his own advice, and whether Sabira accepted it or not would be the queens decision.
 Her majesty's decision, on that note.

Boa attempted to mimic her serious expression, brows furrowed yet politely listening; Posture poised in waiting; Paws ready to get moving...
 As if he was paused in time, ready to sprint.

the staff team luvs u
3-2-3
Formation
Adventurer
08-08-2022, 05:56 PM (This post was last modified: 08-09-2022, 06:53 AM by Sabira. Edited 1 time in total.)
The royal woman gave the cat an intrigued eye. Impressed with his readiness to perform civil duties for a yet established government. If this continued, she might even begin to like him, despite his species.
"If that is a duty you are willing to perform, by all means."
Her paw folded out from under her in a way to grace the cat, as one of high society does. The expression on her face grew a smile of raw confidence before she stood and with a voice of a future commander, she spoke henceforth. "Tell them Queen Sabira sent you." Finally divulging her name to the cat, in confidence.
Sabira's tail swished once or twice behind her, though otherwise kept a cool and readied disposition.
She looked down at him seriously from atop the rock. Her tone shifted.
"There are those who would use the knowledge of my whereabouts to bring harm to me and the kingdom. They fall under the allegiance of Warcrest and Demonia. You must be wary of these people." When she spoke of harm, the woman briefly used her nose to point to her own wounds. Though she would not dive further into their origins, she hoped Boa would find the implication in her actions. 
Leaning, nearly falling off the rock towards the cat- her eyes serious as serious could get. "I will strike down any who lead those pigs into our safe respite." She studied his face and hoped that Boa would study hers. The conviction in her voice and the look her those honey amber orbs, she was clearly not bluffing.

the staff team luvs u
3 - 3 - 3
08-08-2022, 10:47 PM (This post was last modified: 08-09-2022, 06:54 AM by Boa. Edited 1 time in total.)

"If that is a duty you are willing to perform, by all means." With a curt nod, the tiger finally stood, ready to get moving – to return to Mei – until Queen Sabira continued speaking.
 “I will,” He hummed, a smile tugging at his face.

Until, the woman went on about what sounded like enemies... “Warcrest and Demonia...” Yes, he'd keep a look out.
 Following her gaze to her wounds, understanding the motion, at least, vaguely; They must of done this to her, surely, which meant they'd harm the civilians in the soon-to-be kingdom, as well.

“I'll make sure they don't even get a scent of the kingdom,” He dropped his front-half in a bow. “Trust me.”

As she continued that she'd "strike down any who lead those pigs into our safe respite", Boa nodded and flicked an ear.
 Our kingdom? The feline wasn't sure he could share the duties of leading a kingdom with anyone besides @Mei, but he'd gladly take his place as a royal advisor.

“I need to go,” The tiger let his gaze trail towards the direction of the sea. “To find people for our kingdom.”

the staff team luvs u
3-2-3
Formation
Adventurer
08-10-2022, 03:30 AM (This post was last modified: 08-10-2022, 03:31 AM by Sabira.)
The woman would stand high upon the rock, chest boasted and chin high. She smiled a confident smile, and nodded to the tiger.
"Godspeed, Boa." The Queen's eyes glimmered amidst her white coat, which caught the wind when she stood tall and proud. 

To put ones faith in a cat was not what she was expecting herself to do. Yet this one seemed strong and loyal, determined as well. The woman hoped her trust would not be misplaced, that her seriousness would keep him from the worst.

Little short ending post, no need to reply if you don't wish to!

the staff team luvs u
3 - 3 - 3
scroll to top