Welcome to Canis Major

a wolf and animal rpg (role-playing game)

Canis is a writing community for play-by-post (forum-based), freeform roleplay set in a fictional dream world in the intrusion fantasy genre. Most characters on Canis are wolves; many play elements are focused around wolves and canids, but the world makes room for a large variety of other animal characters such as dogs, horses, cats, bears, deer, and many, many more.

Our community is focused on flexibility, creativity, and collaboration. That boils down to a few important features:

• There is no set activity requirement to write
  • The setting and plot are member-created and staff-supported
  • The game is continuously improved to increase fun and decrease stress

Learn more in our Rulebook!

Group Only
Some look for trouble,

Afternoon Partly Cloudy
Group Only
Medic
Duskguard
07-21-2022, 08:39 PM
marked some time after she arrived

"Miss, although I do not have yet worthy experience as one, many of the other midwives have given me their tips. One was to help ease a pregnant womans sore belly." As Aries arrived, and full-due to her promise, she was diligent in scavenging for herbs when @Olive could not. She was gaining her barrings and knowing the inside of the land lightly better ; and how flourished it truly was on not only prey, but the overall flora that was as well. Despite how cold and empty the tundra may seem, like always found its way. She was slowly gathering remedies and herbs to help the soon-due mother.. But the snow-hare had others way as well.

She would show the Priestess of a small hole within the ground. The snow was a bit deep, while there was a lining of a hare's pelt within it, "Laying upon the side helps ease the restless brood, many times the midwives I knew would dig holes and lay them with pelts to help the mother." At the very least that was the advantage of living in a snow-land, where digging in it was easier then the dirt itself. She remembered the discomfort the pale woman shown during her first arrival, and she hoped before she was due.. Perhaps it could help.

Although the other may have expertise as well and surely had her own dues.. Aries still went forth in any attempt to ease what may occur. Maybe by chance she was sent by the Gods to help — but in the end would never truly know, for her knowledge within the area was so bare.

the staff team luvs u
Medic
07-25-2022, 06:48 PM (This post was last modified: 09-18-2022, 03:22 AM by Olive. Edited 2 times in total.)
Olive was delightfully surprised and enthralled by the wolf that had simply fallen into Duskguard, and had chosen to stay. She had seemed to take on her self-appointed task with much pride and glee, seemingly happy to prove her worth and place within Duskguard. It was incredibly helpful to Olive, who had a to-do list a mile long, but did not have the energy to inherent desire to do any of it. Somehow, her herbal stores filled despite herself. Somehow, food always found it way to her. Despite her not doing so herself, her den lined itself with the softest furs, fit for pups. Behind the acts, there was always some member of Duskguard.

It was a little bit strange to Olive, who was not only new to this coddling experience of motherhood, but new to her own sense of leadership. As foreign as it felt for other wolves to dedicate their own precious hours to her health and safety, she couldn’t deny how good it felt. Others wanted to help her. They were grateful to her and Tiberius. The couple provided something that their followers could not otherwise provide. It felt good to Olive, as good as it might feel to care for her own children, she rightfully assumed.

She was responsible for the safety and livelihood of them all, were they not?

So when Aries wanted to show Olive something to ease her pain, she rightfully obliged; although there was a moment when she thought snakily that there was nothing the snow hare could not tell her that the midwife didn’t already know herself. However, she was (again) delightfully surprised when she was directed towards a small, lined bowl carved out the snowy earth. Olive simpered as she settled herself atop of it, and felt relief as if her belly was being cradled by the hand of the Gods. Then, she sighed.

“I had never thought of such a thing…” Olive admitted, wondering how this might have been able to help her past patients who complained of such things. Perhaps she was too focused on medicines to think how one might be able to manipulate their surroundings to better accommodate a gravid woman. “Perhaps these are the things you learn when raised in the North,” Olive attempted to justify, if only for herself — her own education was given on the fly, and her nomadic family hadn’t the time to dig dens, nonetheless dig belly-shelves and line them with dried furs.

For once, the Priestess appeared to be at-ease.
“You know more of body-work than you let on,” she commented with a wry glint in her eyes. “Will you tell me more about yourself?”

the staff team luvs u
[Image: Sprite-0005.gif]

duskguard  /  healing    /  lineage
Medic
07-26-2022, 12:30 AM
"I have observed and learned, but was too young to put into practice." Watching was knowledge to be gained, and Aries spent much of her life studying under various wolves as per' the desires and wants of the land. Knowledge was power was the classic term and they believed wholeheartedly, where it too was instilled into her very soul from her mother. She was glad at the very least this was then taught to be shared with another and even reduce just a bit of ache that came to the mother.. For a moment Aries thought that would be her position, but she also wasn't so yearning of it just yet — she knew her own heart and soul was not yet ready.

"Herbs can do so much during and after the birth, but before is important to the mothers care." With so she brought out a Jewelplant, a thankful note that the children were not due near winter.. Although they were in the tundra, Aries noted as she drifted below the land was much hotter ; and led her find more herbs in order to help. It was only due shortly that Olive would give birth, and the plant she thought helped before and after, compared to the others. Maybe reduce some swelling, she so hoped.. Although the woman before her held much more knowledge and would know whether she should or should not take ; so the hare kept it within view.

"What is it you would like to know?" She wasn't one to hide such history or pasts, especially being accepted so readily.. Aries was more then happy to share any curiosities the Priestess had, as she smiled lightly.

the staff team luvs u
Visionary
08-02-2022, 07:11 PM (This post was last modified: 09-19-2022, 05:13 PM by Olive. Edited 2 times in total.)
Olive listened to Aries and she was brought back to memories of her own childhood, living with her small natal family and learning the arts of herbal healing and psychosomatic health. However, not once did Olive's mother consider her too young to practice her learnings — the fae remembered with a soft fondness how nervous she had been when holding closed a wound while her mother worked. That was the way of things: her mother was a workhorse, and her father had his head always with the Gods, and Olive had always been there, focusing solely on the care of others,

What would they have thought of her now, that she was the patient and mentor, all in one? Would they be proud of her, or would they have been as Riannon was, and deride her as 'distracted?'

It mattered not. This was a new life, almost entirely; not that she loathed her upbringing, but when it came to studies, she was rather lazy and she much preferred to be surrounded by creatures such as Tiberius and Aries, who saw her as profound and knowledgable, than her parents, who saw her as a perpetual child. Olive smiled, the warmth of the fur causing her belly to flutter. A beautiful jewel plant was produced, and Olive smiled in turn, as it was fresh and vibrant — a valuable ally in battles to come. 

The woman nosed the bloom, inhaling its musty scent.
“I’m pleased to be your first patient!” she chimed, often wondering at the splendor of such a woman being dropped amongst Duskguard, nearly on the eve of her birth. It helped the new mother to find a confidence in the way things were, and she found in this a new trust in the Gods and how the unendingly provided for her. If all they required of her was that she steward the wolves and lives of Duskguard, then that was her cross the bear. 

With the idea of family on the forefront of her awareness, she asked
“Do you miss the North that you came from?” and then bit her tongue, wondering if that was too forward, and if the demure Aries might suddenly devolve into tears at the mention of family lost.

the staff team luvs u

Medic
08-03-2022, 06:53 PM
"I hope not to fail you," she said with a smile and jest to the other, feeling a bit warmth that officially so, by technically Olive was her first patient. New within the life of herbs, she would glance at the jewelplant and lightly wonder what else to grab later, "do you need any other herbs to prepare?" would she then ask in an effort to double-check with the more experienced medic, and midwife. Though Aries at least though she had grabbed a good portion of what was needed — maybe more huckleberries.. Aries only knew few minimal what can help during childbirth, and most was with natural and whims of the Gods — support of the community, and the best that she could do to help.

Then she hummed lightly within her smiles, looking at Olive, "part of me misses the familiarity, but the vale provides that very well. Although.. I do miss my sister. She was the only family I had left." Aries would admit with a more saddened look to her — although she had friends and a court to call to, who could replace the only blood she had left within the world? She was able to ease in so quickly to Duskguard with the help of Olive, who reminded her of the court-woman, and the land itself being a reminisce of what home is — the tundra was not something she could leave so easily, being that of an arctic wolf. 

At least her thoughts of anything more dread was pre-occupied with helping.

the staff team luvs u
Visionary
08-26-2022, 01:58 AM (This post was last modified: 09-19-2022, 05:12 PM by Olive. Edited 1 time in total.)
The girl was eager in her desire to learn, which made up just fine for an acute lack in technical know-how; but Aries had great things to teach her such as this belly-in-the-hole trick, and it almost made Olive reluctant to offer Aries any such suggestions, wanting to see what the necessity invented for such an astute learner. "The oats are likely plentiful this time of year,” she offered anyways, knowing they might not here, but they would at least grow in the alpine grasslands nearby. "Collect their milky tops, if you can. Store them in a dark place. They're wonderful for milk production,” One always hoped that would not be a problem, but Olive tended to have a windy constitution, and this would be a good eventuality to prepare for.

Aries took her next question in stride and her response actually elicited a smile from Olive's thin maw. Olive too had a sister, and the brief mention of such relation brought her memory to the forefront; but the image of the pale sprite was not so easy to brush away.
"Please, share a story with me about your sister," the seraph nearly begged, whole-heartedly, "a fond memory." the priestess felt that such space to share might be welcome, but if it wasn't, she explained briefly "Stories are how they can live on, forevermore." with a small roll of her shoulder to act as punctuation.

the staff team luvs u

Medic
08-26-2022, 07:23 PM
Aries would nod and remember of this, thinking lightly of the oats, and would need to venture further to sight for them. With little experience and outriding to the outside, she wasn't as adept as would like to what was beyond. Mentally mapping of what was, she would make a mental note on a day to find them. Oats that were somewhere, and maybe she would have to go beyond the snow — but was willing to if it was to help a mother who was near due. A help for milk, and a storage for another day.. She smiled and softly thanked for this drop of new midwife tactics. 

Melancholy took over, a nostalgia of a smile as she thought of her, "my sister takes much after our father. My mother and I, and generations back, have always been light-coated, silvers and whites with a bit of height to us.. But my sister Wren, held soft fawn-brown tones, she was short and dainty. Far younger then myself, I always felt it was my duty after my mother passed, to ensure her a warm and safe life. She always been a shy and meek girl.. I remember when she first was born, I was still a very young girl, and her smile lit the room. She often cried when I left.. Always had to be with both myself and our mother." 

Such memories brought a peace to her, and yet a great missing to this sister. The best she could do was pray she was alright, and did not fall into the whole alongside herself. It'd be better to say within the Winterglade, familarity and a home.. It'd brought great fear if she happened to wound in this land, alone for the first time.

the staff team luvs u
Visionary
09-06-2022, 06:18 PM (This post was last modified: 09-19-2022, 05:12 PM by Olive. Edited 2 times in total.)
Olive listened astutely and with an open mind as Aries divulged the requested facts, emotions, memories and stories about her sister. She listened, knowing that Aries's experience of these memories were infinitely more vivid and more nuanced that anything she could conjure herself, so Olive simply nodded along and allowed her friend to steep in the memory of her loved one. "She sounds so sweet," the Priestess said finally, thinking that the way Aries cared for someone so much younger made her sweet, as well.

Olive took a short inhale.
"I'm sure Wren misses you immensely." The sylph wanted to ask more questions, but what more could be said about a reality that no longer was — a life that Aries could no sooner go back to, than she could walk straight into the sky she fell from? The snowhare had volunteered what information she desired, but there was something that loomed far larger than the past: the present. "I know you've only just come to these lands, and I do not want to be too forward, but..." why did this segue feel so unnatural? Still, the necessity of what she wanted to say drove her ever-forward.

"It is a goal of mine that you do not lack for the sisterhood you desire," she said, verbose as could be, but anyone could see how deeply the Priestess meant it, beaming upward at Aries from her lil' hole in the ground. She missed having a sister too. "Perhaps, overtime, we might forge a bond that resembles blood." Presumptive, was it? Yes, but how else was manifestation expected to work?

the staff team luvs u

Medic
09-08-2022, 12:45 AM (This post was last modified: 09-08-2022, 12:45 AM by Ari.)
She would wonder where her dear sister was, and pray she was doing well. That was all that Aries could ask, as they were the last of the blood from their deceased mother, and fallen father. The small shred of what was left of so, and the names given that bonded them together. One way or another, Aries would always be connected to her sister Wren, but it pained her not be able to see her grow.

She smiled at the Priestess, "That is something I would like, as wolves we naturally yearn for others.. And I wish nothing more then to rebuild a family I once had." A serenity, a serendipity, Aries could not say she was close to many, but how she relished in the court and those who hailed to it, to bond and blossom as woman would do, and men to parade within their prowess. The festives that took ; and the memories of smiling to her mother.

"Although for the meanwhile.. To focus on the upcoming time," she said, turning around lightly and reaching for something, "I had heard sleeping with lavender can warm someone to a good sleep, perhaps it will ease your nights." To think she would find something within this snow-barren land — but they were not entirely cut off from the warmer region, and relatively close. When she found it

the staff team luvs u
Entertainer
09-18-2022, 03:48 AM
Aries felt similarly, and Olive smiled, happy to have sisterhood in her life once more. It was kindred, and Olive easily got lost in the reverie that was her life — timelines ruptured, yet timelines sewn together. It didn't make any sense, but it always inspired Olive to see how many wolves lived in spite of the wrenching pain of loss. herself included.

There were few things better than a story, and a belly-hole lined with furs, and fresh lavender to soothe one into a sense of pseudo-sleep. The few things that exceeded that might be found family, or the promise that someone else was there to hold you in your time of need. All of these things, Olive felt she had in droves, and she accepted it all readily and rumbled her happy acceptance of it all as a wave of relaxation came over her, and her head laid lazily across one thin wrist.

the staff team luvs u

scroll to top