Welcome to Canis Major

a wolf and animal rpg (role-playing game)

Canis is a writing community for play-by-post (forum-based), freeform roleplay set in a fictional dream world in the intrusion fantasy genre. Most characters on Canis are wolves; many play elements are focused around wolves and canids, but the world makes room for a large variety of other animal characters such as dogs, horses, cats, bears, deer, and many, many more.

Our community is focused on flexibility, creativity, and collaboration. That boils down to a few important features:

• There is no set activity requirement to write
  • The setting and plot are member-created and staff-supported
  • The game is continuously improved to increase fun and decrease stress

Learn more in our Rulebook!

P
We Are Indigos

P
07-11-2022, 09:33 PM
continuation from here @Edith @Warwick

His brother's resignation came with a paw between them as Calhoun allowed for the distance between them, finally releasing Warwick's throat. Edith was first to speak, cocky as ever despite their inevitable win, and while he agreed with her sentiment he was not quick to gloat. Instead, the elken boy stared back, the blood at his ear forgotten as he held Warwick's gaze. We need to talk.

Truthfully Cal would have preferred this conversation away from prying ears, but that would not come in Elkshire nor Nightwalkers. The outskirts would have to do. Looking to Edith who had already agreed to speak with him previously, he would give a curt nod before heading for the Royal Wisterian Woodlands assuming both would follow. Even Edith had yet to hear his reasons for speaking and idly he wondered if either would believe him.

This could be a mistake.

There is another reason I wished to train beyond our borders. How closely does Mother watch you Warwick? What does she share? Nothing new compared to the lectures when he still lived here surely. It's always the same, isn't it?

the staff team luvs u
07-12-2022, 08:29 PM
[narrow width=300]

[/narrow]

Warwick knew his sister too well and anticipated her to come out with a triumphant remark. His citrine eyes glinted with sarcasm, with a brimming smirk, and a snidey retort bubbling on curved lips, but their fun and games were cut short with Calhoun's tone slicing through the subsiding adrenaline of their brief sparring. The duke's face morphed from his ridicule to perplexity at their choice of words. Something wasn't right.

They moved away and instinct ushered him to pursue his brother, waiting on tenterhooks to find out what news he had to share with them.

When they elaborated, the prince raised his head taller, already feeling that familiarity of defence, adorning his rigid and tensed muscles with an armour shielding him from what was to come. The way in which they spoke, there was a reason behind such out-of-the-blue cross-examination and Warwick wasn't about to answer the questions he knew his brother would know the answers to already. 'What is this, brother?'. 

The dukes' eyes swirled with a simmering hearthstone glow, with an instant reminiscence of the last brother who spoke ill of their mother. So he prayed silently to the High Elk, that their favourite brother wasn't about to announce his departure and alliance with the disowned grey sovereign.

[narrow width=300]

[/narrow]
the staff team luvs u
07-12-2022, 09:35 PM
"We need to talk," Calhoun said to Warwick. Edith looked between her brothers, feeling both confused and intrigued. She did raise any of her concerns—instead, she followed her brother to the territory's outskirts in uncharacteristic silence. She could feel a weight settle on her shoulders and a pit form in her stomach, and her discomfort was palpable. 

Was everything okay? 

All of Edith's concerns were answered when they arrived at Elkshire's border. She felt her anxiety melt away as she looked between her brothers with prying eyes. She was a silent party in this instance; she done her part in trying to persuade the heir of the errors of their mother's ways. Perhaps Calhoun would be more convincing than she had. Edith watched Warwick expectantly, wondering what he'd say in Célnes's defense.

the staff team luvs u
Misc Skill
07-12-2022, 09:55 PM
The truth. The words fell easily from his lips despite knowing the next would not. He hadn't told anyone of his dream, none besides their mother, but even she was spared any details. Calhoun had spent months pondering on that dream. No matter how much he convinced himself it was just that, there was a weight he couldn't shake and a shiver that would roll down his spine as words repeated themselves in his head, in his dreams.

Words that made his fur stand on end for no good reason. No reason at a glance at least.

@Cynefrid had shared much with him when he still slept at the Crown. She shared of their origins. Of Kingslend and the land their family had come from. She had also been the first to point out his Mother's flaws. He had caught contradictions before and watched as she failed to explain what he truly wished to know. It was beyond suspicious and it was Cynefrid who had brought light to why he felt that way. Our mother has lied to us. To everyone. She does not preach what our kind was instructed to...it's difficult to see at first. She tells enough of the truth to make it appear true, but she changes bits and pieces to her liking. That influence has been spreading through Elkshire and if she does not stop it will corrupt us all.

There was no telling what the High Elk would do for punishment. If he would even bother with his warnings or simply wipe them in one fell swoop for ignorance and betrayal. If there was anything that scared him, it was the wrath of the only god he knew. Our siblings who have been stained, it's not their fault, nor is it their future...they bear the sins of their parents. Of our mother. And she has fooled us all to hide her straying from His light.

Surely both would have their questions, if they even believed him. The boy paused looking between both siblings, his expression not once wavering to reveal some secret joke. This was real. The only question was if he would be believed or written off as a raving lunatic out against his own mother. He wasn't sure what to even do with the information, but maybe that was the real reason he had chosen to tell Edith and Warwick. They had always tackled challenges together, even when pitted against one another.

the staff team luvs u
07-13-2022, 08:18 PM
[narrow width=300]

[/narrow]

Warwick sat at the first two words. A story was to be told, and there was no need to be standing. His crown elevated, very much like his mother's idiosyncrasy. A stillness conducted his body, eyes still steadily growing in that incandescent heat. Narrowing them at his brother with a frown burrowing into his forehead when they chose to start with the very accusing words that Aldritch did too. The duke took a visible deep breath, to withhold himself. This wasn't the same brother, this was Calhoun, whom he respected and this was a tale that was too convincing to be a lie, and he searched their eyes for any molecules of fault, of deceit but found none. 

The duke's ears stood tall, receiving each syllable, and every detail of his brother's speech. He then look a glimpse to look at Edith's portrait, during Calhoun's short pause, returning to look at him when they resumed. And their thoughts were the very own Warwick had of the new siblings. He never looked at them in the way his other siblings did, with the obvious lick of taint on each. It was their mothers doing. They represented her misconduct. 

'I believe any of our brothers or sisters who bear the white mark are from mother's own immoralities', he nodded in agreement, still mulling and digesting all that his brother revealed to the duo. 'How are you so certain of such bold allegations?'. It wasn't the first time he had been forewarned of his mother's lies, and he already took a hit of betrayal himself, but who was feeding Calhoun with such facts?

[narrow width=300]

[/narrow]
the staff team luvs u
Visionary
07-13-2022, 08:54 PM
Edith followed what Calhoun said at first. What he revealed to their brother included everything that they'd already talked at length about; she stole glances of Warwick as she tried to suss out how he was processing everything. She was looking at the heir as their brother dropped an unexpected bombshell: "Our siblings who have been stained, it's not their fault, nor is it their future...they bear the sins of their parents. Of our mother. And she has fooled us all to hide her straying from His light."

[Image: wait-what-john-krasinski.gif] 

She was speechless for once. She processed the information with her face scrunched; how could it make sense and no sense at all? She looked between her brothers as Warwick talked, and then she looked at Calhoun again. She agreed with him. How did he knows this and—better yet—how had he not told her any of this before? Edith was hurt; she was under the impression that they told each other everything.

the staff team luvs u
Misc Skill
07-13-2022, 09:32 PM
Well, all things considered, it was a better reaction than he had hoped for. Neither spouted notes of betrayal or claimed him a liar, instead, they were simply...stunned and uncertain. Perhaps he would have been too had things been reversed... it was hard to say when he last fully believed the words from their mother's mouth. When he had last not held suspicion or curiosity. Because He told me so. Red eyes would skim to his sister to find her shock and disbelief. He had hurt her somehow, or maybe it was Mother who wounded her.

I have told no one so do not look at me as if I'm crazy or spreading lies. Some moons ago, many now really, I had a dream. Although dream still did not feel like a proper way to describe it. When I awoke, Mother could see I had been ruffled by whatever I saw. I did not tell her what it was, but she mentioned that the High Elk sometimes spread his word in more direct ways. Signs and dreams. Visions. A vision. Yes, that was a better word for it. Perhaps even a prophecy.

She could not explain much as she plainly admitted to never being capable of receiving his signs like others could...so she sent me to Cynefrid who could share more. Cynefrid is another to have survived our family's outcast by the fires of our homeland and twice resettled beneath our mother. She is entirely devout and she shared with me the true religion. How it was meant to be taught and showed me how to interpret His signs. Even she did not know what he had seen. Maybe it was for the best that she did not if only for her protection as well as their own. Even though...he had no clue what would come from this conversation.

I have bided my time mulling over details to try and make sense of what I saw...I wanted to be sure and I have a few theories, but no matter how it's twisted it's a warning. Mother can not be trusted. I say this because I trust your judgment and would hope I can confide in you. If you do not believe me I can't change your mind or show you what I saw, but the signs are everywhere. All I ask is you do not rat out your closest of kin. Calhoun paused for a moment, a wave of silence washing over him no matter how long it actually stretched. He was not prepared to share before, but even now after he was certain he felt his paws itch in mild uncertainty. It was not too late for his siblings to leave. For them to turn their back to him. I could show you...if you want. There is a lot to learn that is not taught here.

the staff team luvs u
07-14-2022, 09:29 PM
[narrow width=300]

[/narrow]

Warwick couldn't remember a time when Calhoun expressed himself so vastly. Word after word compiled sentences, that were all once held captive in his brother's mind. But the duke did not feel hurt in the way Edith did. Just like Vermillion, she also had her own inner demons and thoughts that she never spoke to anyone, only speaking to the duke privately when it was all too late, and ultimately was already being lead onto a different path, on toward a second pack.

He didn't avert his gaze in the whole time they spoke, trying to interpret Calhoun like a book, reading his story, and Warwick's thoughts trailed behind his words. Keeping up with them with pen in hand to jot everything down, to memorise all. When they were referring to one thing in particular though, this is what the duke honed in on.

'And what was your vision exactly?', his voice was steady, as though containing little emotion. Not wanting to sound judgemental, or angry at such a bewildering story. 'If you suppose mother is incorrect in her beliefs, in the way she has educated us, then it is our duty to lead her back to His light'.

A golden locket with mummy's regal portrait is what the duke would be hiding within his waistcoat if he wore one. She was the unflawed diamond in his eyes, and if an edge of hers needed cutting, to make her shine brighter, then he would do all he could to help. If she needed correcting, or if this were the High Elk's way of guiding her back to the right place, via her brood, then the duke would rally his siblings to help her.

[narrow width=300]

[/narrow]
the staff team luvs u
Visionary
07-18-2022, 08:17 PM
Calhoun continued to elaborate—which surprised Edith given how much detail he'd already gone into—and it began to make sense. There was a reason why Célnes was so incompetent, and there was solid proof to back her suspicions. "That makes sense," she said. "I believe you, brother." 

Warwick wondered what their brother's vision had been, and Edith was curious, too. But, before they could delve further, she had one more thought to add: "She is not our responsibility. It isn't our fault that she lives the way she does." She could have sought help instead of spreading lies; the damage was already done.

the staff team luvs u
Misc Skill
08-06-2022, 04:53 AM (This post was last modified: 08-06-2022, 04:54 AM by Calhoun. Edited 1 time in total.)
Calhoun could only bite his tongue as he waited with baited breath for his siblings responses. To his relief, Edith was quick to accept his truth, though that surprised him little. She was opinionated, but she had always seemed to lean on him to some capacity. It was Warwick who made him itch with anticipation. He would not outright challenge his claim, though naturally he looked for proof, just as he would had the tables been turned.

Mother tried to kill me. Tried? Succeeded? Or a version of me… It was a bit confusing, but I think I saw the cousin I was named after. He was the one who perished at her paws, and when I spoke it was mirrored by him. His lips tugged into a frown as he sat on the faded faces of his dream. Maybe it was a warning from his cousin, not the High Elk, if that was even possible, but it was His will either way.

I do not think mother can be redeemed… it shows in the offspring she produces…and if my dream— vision is correct, there is more she is hiding than just the truth of His word. Her paws may be bloodied, and if not, her intentions might be. It was a terrifying thought to think that their mother might hold such dastardly ill intentions, all for some kind of sick glory and personal worship. It was not the way of their family, and if that was the path she wished to take, he did not want to uphold this family’s name.

the staff team luvs u
08-09-2022, 06:37 PM
[narrow width=300]

[/narrow]

He found the sincerity in his brother's eyes in the same wave as it came from his lips, as he listened to them divulge their vision. He was perplexed and held doubts about their words and further questions. Questions that were best appointed to the source of such concern. How was Calhoun so sure if mother had killed another form of him if they hadn't deserved it? Was mother abolishing and cleansing their bloodline of such sin? Or it could be a reminder to Calhoun to not stray from his path, should he wish to perish at the paws of their dam. 

During these questions in his head, he remained quiet, listening to Edith's snappy response, and one he did not agree with. He shot her a glance that spoke of this disagreement and upset, frowning at her in his silence before looking back to their brother. 

'I need to speak with mother. I need to hear her side', was all he muttered, 'I'm not saying I do not believe you brother, but I hope she can elaborate and fill gaps'. 

Warwick understandably had yet to have a reason to question his mother's morals, she had never done him wrong.

[narrow width=300]

[/narrow]
the staff team luvs u
Visionary
08-14-2022, 09:44 PM
Edith felt Warwick's disapproving stare—but she ignored it. She didn't regret speaking her mind, and she wasn't sorry that she had spoken ill of their mother. 

"Mother tried to kill me." Calhoun said. He had her attention, and a million questions raced through her mind, but she remained quiet as he elaborated. She thought she'd know much about their religion, but his story made her feel otherwise—it felt like she was starting over all over again. Edith steadied herself with a slow exhale. "So ..." she said slowly, "What you're saying is that our siblings aren't ... bad?" The statement felt foreign on her tongue. "That their sin was inherited?" Had she been wrong all along?

the staff team luvs u
Visionary
08-22-2022, 04:28 AM (This post was last modified: 08-22-2022, 04:28 AM by Calhoun.)
In an instant the elken boy felt his stomach drop. Calhoun had never really been one to show fear, nor did he ever really feel scared, but for once, he did. While he was not doubted he had been unable to convince his siblings in full of what he had seen. Warwick couldn't tell their mother. He had been careful thus far and it was a risk to share what he had, but it was one he felt he had to at least try. High Elk smite him should he leave his family without at least attempting to guide and keep them in His light.

Warwick.  His name came faster than he would have liked as he stared down his closest brother. If you love me, Brother, you will not reveal anything I just said. Even should he be wrong in his interpretation it was not as if his intentions were foul. He wanted the best for all of them and to ensure they stuck to His path. If he could visibly sweat he would have, but instead he would be left with the deafening sound of his heart racing within his chest.

Calhoun would risk a glance to Edith as she murmured her own confusion, but ultimately he was less concerned with how she had taken his news in comparison. I understand you both may have reservations. It would be easy to deem me a heretic, but you both know my devotion. I don't ask that you trust blindly. I wouldn't in your position either.

If you want the truth, then I beg you, ask the High Elk directly. He will guide you if you ask and there is no denying his signs like there is the word of a follower. Wolves can be greedy...and our family has been stained before. I only wish to prevent us from being led astray again.

the staff team luvs u
09-13-2022, 01:21 PM

The desperation reflected in his brother's words could've nearly stunned him. Warwick looked at his brother, with a long, deep moment of thought. The citrine of his eyes looked from one eye to the other, back and forth and he contemplated disputing such, but alas, after taking a breath he spoke clearly. 'Alright'. It was a promise.

When Calhoun continued, Warwick could only listen. He had asked his questions and he still held his doubts. It was all too much to take in, still so fresh to already establish an opinion or indeed choose a side. He felt his sister was wrong to believe their mother was not their responsibility. She had their duty to them as infants just as he would have for their Queen when she was bound by illness or age. 

'I will ask and look for the signs'. He hoped this would satisfy his brother for now. Enough for him to process this and come to his own conclusion and overall solution to the matter.

the staff team luvs u
Visionary
09-18-2022, 07:26 PM
Edith nodded. "I'll go and speak to Him after this," she promised. 

Although she didn't anticipate her brother being incorrect, Edith needed to confirm everything for herself. There were too many questions that had come about because of Calhoun's revelations—which challenged her entire way of thinking[madsh]and she needed answers. 

Edith stood and shook out her coat. She was ready to go and collect the antlers she used to communicate with The High Elk, seek out her place of prayer within The Crown, and speak with Him at length.

the staff team luvs u
Visionary
09-22-2022, 10:12 AM (This post was last modified: 09-22-2022, 10:13 AM by Calhoun. Edited 2 times in total.)
Though he wouldn't show it, the boy could heavily relieve his held breath. It wasn't a yes, but he was certain the High Elk would guide his siblings true. He would never claim to be a prophet, but there was no shaking that dream nor the feeling it invoked within him. The High Elk had shown it to him for a reason, rather or not it was real. That he was certain.

Hopefully, his siblings would agree.

Trust takes time however and he would not gain his brother's loyalty as fast as Edith was willing. There was no telling if their other siblings would even hear him given the stains on their coat. They should know however it is no fault of their own. He had suggested as much to @Aldritch once before, but he left before he had gathered the pieces needed to hold water to his growing theory. Perhaps time would be kinder moving forward.

You have my thanks. I pray He leads you true. That is all I have to share at the time... It was rare for him to feel so low as he did begging for his brother's mercy. It was simply something he never did, but it showed the worth of his words, or so he believed. I want to see the herd while I'm here. You both may do as you wish, but I wouldn't mind if you joined me to catch up either if you have the time.

can prob wrap up here

the staff team luvs u
09-28-2022, 04:55 PM

He had a lot to think about, to mull over and seek the place he would whenever he sought out their deity. 

Warwick nodded, after the emotional rollercoaster of reuniting with his long-lost siblings and then diving straight into the depth of the revelation his brother shared, a casual stroll to seek the herd would be the best to lull his mind. 'I'll join you'. 

He would move alongside his brother, bumping his shoulder into them in affectionate gest for them to know all would be okay.

the staff team luvs u
Visionary
10-05-2022, 08:40 PM
"I'll catch up to you guys," Edith said, "I've gotta do something first." 

She needed to speak with The High Elk before moving on because she had too many questions that needed to be answered. "I'll be quick," she promised. 

Edith went on her own, collected her antlers, and engaged Him in a short conversation. Although she didn't get all the answers she wanted, He provided enough information to satisfy her curiosity for now. She then rushed to rejoin her brothers and made it just in time—right as the sun began to set. They spent the evening together and kept a close eye on the herd while enjoying each other's company.

the staff team luvs u
scroll to top