Welcome to Canis Major

a wolf and animal rpg (role-playing game)

Canis is a writing community for play-by-post (forum-based), freeform roleplay set in a fictional dream world in the intrusion fantasy genre. Most characters on Canis are wolves; many play elements are focused around wolves and canids, but the world makes room for a large variety of other animal characters such as dogs, horses, cats, bears, deer, and many, many more.

Our community is focused on flexibility, creativity, and collaboration. That boils down to a few important features:

• There is no set activity requirement to write
  • The setting and plot are member-created and staff-supported
  • The game is continuously improved to increase fun and decrease stress

Learn more in our Rulebook!

Group Only
Even if you know that you don't,

Group Only
Elkshire
06-27-2022, 08:12 PM
She awaited her children to approach ; patiently waiting for the moment they'd come forth revealing such motives and why they left without a word. Although, it bothered Celnes greatly it never did. Finally did she approach @Edith, to welcome her back with full arms and news she continued on planning to train within the midst of grotesque smell, sometimes bringing it back. The mother knew if outright said she didn't approve, especially by those two, it would be more of a headache then a win upon her part. There would be a greater gap, and let it be.. She didn't wish to delve into politics with her young upon the line, but at the very least, they looked and seemed relatively alright.

She had caught one, and now sought @Calhoun. His presence around Elkshire, his smell intermingling between the two and ah.. Him. The one that made her re-look whether she was truly seeing her cousin or her son. Everyday they intermingled, but ah ; perhaps that was on her for giving the same name. And yet something felt it compelled her to. An honoring to the sweet loyal cousin who swore oath to the family, but by rumors betrayed her so. Oh, she respected him.. But did that haunt her even now?

She wasn't sure.

"Calhoun?"

the staff team luvs u
Hunter
07-06-2022, 09:35 AM (This post was last modified: 07-06-2022, 09:35 AM by Calhoun.)
Calhoun was no stranger to Elkshire. It was, after all, his home, and he felt he would always view it that way. Still, he had felt a rift tear between him and his mother. She had never been particularly grand as a parent, but then again he never knew what a proper parent looked like. Perhaps it was only the lies that drove him further from her embrace. Lies few knew about or failed to acknowledge. Still, as Queen, it was only a matter of time before he would have to face the woman again...so it came as no surprise when he heard his name upon her lips.

The elken boy had moved beyond the Royal Woodlands today braving the heart of the territory if only to see the elk up close. Any that managed to stray by the murky northern woods steered clear of any interaction and for good reason. They were not protected in the open world and His light as lost to those ignorant or tarnished. Withholding the sigh on his lips, Calhoun merely flicked an ear back to the approaching steps as he responded, Mother.

His gaze was locked on the herd that grazed between the Range and home of Elkshire. Some had surely noticed him, but none seemed to care, just as they should in the face of their protectors. They had grown since he last visited. Youth ducked and weaved between adults sparing curious glances his way, but none dared venture from their mothers' sides.

the staff team luvs u
07-07-2022, 06:55 PM
He was a boy that was more well-suited to direct speak, then of flowery-words and comfort from another. She approached to his side, if an allowance was given but a small affection of her tongue washing behind his ears before addressing further, "You never said goodbye, or even a hello." He reeks of the forest his donor came from. A place where he and her dearest daughter washed away to without even a simple goodbye or a direction where they were, and instead a worrying mother and a pack she sent to scavenge around for him, and her, and the other. Yet even when he returned ; she didn't even get a hello.

Something around it irked her ; like they were indifferent.

the staff team luvs u
Hunter
07-11-2022, 09:42 PM (This post was last modified: 08-08-2022, 05:39 AM by Calhoun. Edited 1 time in total.)
I never truly left. Not in his eyes at least. The Nightwalkers were not his home, nor would they ever be. They were simply a means of getting what he wanted that he couldn't have in Elkshire. A single care. A mentor. One that would look beyond the forsaken pelts of his younger siblings and raise up those who actually held potential. I'm here, aren't I? At home? Only now would he let his gaze drift from the elk as his mother reached to kiss at his ears.

Besides, it seems your attention is required elsewhere now. He had not missed the smell of milk. It was one of the first indicators he and Edith had found upon their original return. He hadn't seen them himself, but he knew of the bastards she bore while they were away. With who he didn't know, but then again did it really matter? His own father played no part in his life until he asked of it. His younger siblings would only follow the same path set before him.

the staff team luvs u
07-25-2022, 09:05 PM
"But are you truly? Even your scent is no longer one of us." The question to be whether he was to remain under the Nightwalkers pelage or stay within the Elkshire homeland, where he seemed to be for the current times. Perhaps a deal such as Edith was doing, where it seemed to be crossing over ; but she knew not how the other pack would feel about this, although true doubt wasn't there, for months ago there was mention of it lightly. But she knew if was switched, Celnes wouldn't be pleased, and isn't pleased, by the switching of what seemed loyalty in homeland.

Her tail flickered, and she wasn't sure how to respond. They existed — but wasn't love, "and yet my focus is elsewhere. Such as you." But her first would always be the most importance, such as where they were and what they were doing.. But alas their upbringing was toying away from what she wanted, and unknowingly, straying from the religion she adjusted.

the staff team luvs u
Misc Skill
08-06-2022, 05:00 AM (This post was last modified: 08-08-2022, 05:41 AM by Calhoun. Edited 1 time in total.)
Scent doesn’t determine loyalty last I heard. It was actions and the reasons behind them. His scent was only a momentary shift while he received what he desired. Attention, sure, but a teacher more so and one that could teach him something new. I’m expanding my skills. My Father is providing where Elkshire can not, but his woods are not my home. My loyalty would never stray from His light, no matter what others may try to beat into truth. A stab at more than just Vengeance’s teachings, though he would never press that suggestion onto her. What exactly interests you then if I have your attention as you suggest?

the staff team luvs u
08-07-2022, 06:54 PM
He had gained a tongue, or perhaps always held ; taking much of the cousin who laid in the ground that was caused by her. Uncanny within the way spoke back, and even the control she attempted to exert thinned greatly, most likely non existent and part of that hurt. Although a look of a cousin, in the end the newest Calhoun still came from her womb, her blood and effort to raised, "And yet you never said where you were, assumed to be lost with the others where search parties were sent," and she did not think to look within Nightwalkers, "only Warwick, told where you were."

Though it was true that Elkshire did not have the powess Nightwalkers held, bathed in blood and gore, warriors of the mafia-kind that the elken pack could not have. Even Remus, one of the warriors, vanished and she did not know where he was. It had been some time, since left with Vermillion.

"You are my son," she coo'd, "why would I not look for one who I hadn't seen in so long?"

the staff team luvs u
Misc Skill
08-08-2022, 05:39 AM (This post was last modified: 08-08-2022, 05:41 AM by Calhoun. Edited 1 time in total.)
She was quick to place blame onto him. It was his fault for not saying where he was, his for taking her attention elsewhere in search of him. If she had tried so hard though, why not go to her allies? The Nightwalkers were not so far to leave out of the picture if she truly cared. He could only conclude that she hadn’t tried very hard, if at all.

Telling her such would get him no where. He didn’t feel like arguing how she had failed as a mother and the boy still suspected she was not as ignorant as she led on. I never intended to go without a word. I was looking for Edith like the rest and found her in our father’s domain. It was a half truth. He had gone in search of Vengeance himself, but that did not mean Edith was out of his mind while he did so.

I wanted to visit him for some time…and fate happened that I would kick two birds with one stone. He didn’t give much opportunity to come back between training sessions. What spare time we had was often used to rest. That much, was in fact, true. As you can see, that is no longer a problem. He had put in the effort to travel more even on the days his muscles screamed, but he had adjusted with time and practice. Now he could do much more than he could before without his body failing him.

the staff team luvs u
08-13-2022, 06:27 PM
Though training he achieved, Celnes was still displeased, but tried to not let that show upon her face. She didn't enjoy the feel of losing control, and especially when shown an uncaring to her concern. The tactics of attempt to lure back under the name of Elkshire looked to be in vain, in words scent meaned little and loyalty remained, but she didn't enjoy the scent of her son, under another pack altogether. Musk that she hoped to wash off.

"I am proud of what you achieved, but wish you would remain," perhaps an honesty of a mother, would give some leeway into her desires, "Edith as well, plans to stay once again." Next to him she was, and smiled lightly.

the staff team luvs u
Misc Skill
08-22-2022, 03:28 AM (This post was last modified: 08-22-2022, 05:08 AM by Calhoun. Edited 1 time in total.)
She praised him with artificial words, her desire painted plainly for all to see as she made a request he'd argue was closer to demand. But really, what would she do if he denied it? Well, if his dream was even an ounce accurate he was better off not testing that question, but in his current state he did not fear gambling. He may be younger...but he was not blind to his mother's doings and while she had grown fat and given birth, he was off training to fight.

It was disappointing to hear Edith had fallen for this gimmick, but then again she never really wanted to be in their father's domain from the start. Edith can do as she pleases, just as I will. Have you not looked around, Mother? Elkshire is weak. Those you show mercy to do not serve Him. We have little means to defend what is ours from those who do not understand. How many adults are there to children now? How many with the ability to feed these mouths through our means? Though his temper grew, his words were chosen carefully. He spoke only in the name of the High Elk, but full devotion in its truest form would likely not please her. She wanted loyalty. Fine. He could claim as such.

I live in rotting woods braving scoundrels and skeptics to learn the means to defend this family while others laze about. You would really wish for me to give away this opportunity? You would rather trust unindoctrinated strangers to uphold His glory? No. She may say yes only furthering the idea that she worked for herself, not Him, but if she was loyal she would never agree. The only wolves who would care about the High Elk were from their family, and as things stood, the majority were children.

the staff team luvs u
08-23-2022, 06:25 PM
"It is a truth that cannot be denied, the seasons grow tough with new blood as many though toy with thought of Elkshire, venture elsewhere. Our pack only word of the wind as many inquire but never stay." She couldn't deny it, and was lightly displeased of so, and part of Celnes had blamed her cousin, for taking away so many bodies away. However so much time had passed and she struggled to fill those gaps, where more and more children came — but at least, they were growing and able bodies within Elkshire.. But defense, at times brought light worry. Not enough to the Queen who felt assured with the neighboring allies.

No matter what words she sprinkled, he continued holding down. Too much of the Calhoun she so saw, that it lightly darkened her heart and only looked at him with a light silence for some moments, "It is valuable experience," agree yet not openly, Celnes was never one to so bluntly say that she agreed with another that went against her original thoughts, "but I do miss you so," and sighed with a smile, "and only hope once you achieve your desired training, to return home officially."

the staff team luvs u
09-06-2022, 07:35 AM
She was stubborn, just as he was. Even if he was not fond of her, there was no denying the parts of him that were her...but she wavered. Just enough to leave him be as he desired. It wasn't as if he loved the Nightwalkers or his Father, it was only his best resource. He would be a fool to not abuse it while he could. Really, even if his words had been picked carefully, each and every word was true. As I said, I know my true home. More pretty wording to avoid spelling out directly what might potentially sour her ears.

This was his home, yes, but under the guidance of the High Elk. He would forever live wherever His guiding light may shine. Presently, his Mother just so happened to be there as well. I will be back when I am stronger. Then maybe no one will have need of the Nightwalkers. She could take whatever intentions she wished from those words. He had no plans for Vengeance, but his family did not belong in those clouded woods, and had he believed he had another choice, he likely wouldn't be there at all. His family was his and he meant what he said about their protection. They were still blood. They were still His followers. Until then, hopefully, my visits will do.

the staff team luvs u
Visionary
09-28-2022, 06:05 PM
Stubborness ran through the family it so seemed, and although this trait would best be used upon others ; displeasure was stirring in the Queen's heart over her young's choice of words against her. She did not like this feeling of losing the tie that binded, but she would be a fool to not see it — and it had cracked since Vermillion confessed to that cursed deer to all that was, and ever since then, continued on. She knew she should've stopped and killed when she had gotten that chance, but alas — he ran, and she did not chase. An omen, Celnes cursed in her heart, a sign of what was coming. She may not be able to read signs rightly, but by the High Elk will, she believed that was one.

"You will always belong here as a rightful Prince," how she would rub her snout against his face in but a love of a mother, wanting to comfort and affectionate to what was their bond. But what was the bond, not even she could be said.. Only hoped to be better then him, who lay underneath the earth.

wrap?

the staff team luvs u
10-03-2022, 08:27 PM
That's all I wish for. Even he was not sure if he lied or spoke the truth. Rank mattered little to him, unlike his brother who seemed to flaunt his position as the heir. He didn't need fancy titles to prove his worth or dedication. The High Elk saw all and would know regardless. Celnes offered a rare form of affection that the boy would not shy from. It felt wrong almost, but she was still his mother, even if he did not agree with her path, so he would return the gesture. Family was family after all... I've lounged long enough. I will see to the borders for now. Until then, Mother.

the staff team luvs u
scroll to top