Welcome to Canis Major

a wolf and animal rpg (role-playing game)

Canis is a writing community for play-by-post (forum-based), freeform roleplay set in a fictional dream world in the intrusion fantasy genre. Most characters on Canis are wolves; many play elements are focused around wolves and canids, but the world makes room for a large variety of other animal characters such as dogs, horses, cats, bears, deer, and many, many more.

Our community is focused on flexibility, creativity, and collaboration. That boils down to a few important features:

• There is no set activity requirement to write
  • The setting and plot are member-created and staff-supported
  • The game is continuously improved to increase fun and decrease stress

Learn more in our Rulebook!

AW
I like me better when I'm with you

AW
Discovery
03-16-2021, 11:40 PM
The massive forest had been his home now for a few weeks. He'd settled into the routine of checking it's borders, seeing how the edges slipped into loaming pastures and plains. The nearby lake was a recourse he appreciated but today it wasn't his target. The first week or so he'd check it's shore daily just wondering if anyone else would come stumbling along. Instead he'd found portions of his life before showing up like whispers of before. They brought with them the memories he tried and yet couldn't clearly remember. Maybe it was a matter of protecting himself. Maybe it was something else.

Hades scratched his shoulder against a tree, trying to get an itch his teeth couldn't quite reach. With the seasons starting to shift his winter coat was beginning to bother him and loosen its grip. He'd shed and look ridiculous for a bit but he was used to having fur all over him. 7 dogs did that. A sudden thought hit him and he worried over his small zoo. Were they a pack? Cordon Bleu never liked anyone really so surely that wasn't possible. Hades gave a soft sigh before he headed back up towards the rise to see if he could find the woman Persephone had claimed to have met around there. It took him awhile to find the circle of trees again, remembering how Persephone had described the woman and Winterheart Forest. The more he thought of it the more it became its own entity.

the staff team luvs u
Discovery
03-18-2021, 08:29 AM (This post was last modified: 04-25-2021, 04:57 AM by Valk. Edited 2 times in total.)
Memories came and went like dreams until eventually, even her dreams ran dark. It was a void of nothingness, one in which she floated, slumbered, as the time passed. Almost as if it had been the blink of the eye, however much time had truly passed, there was no way of knowing. All Hecate did know, was the sensation of a weight which now pressed at her sides. It was slow at first...like that of a weighted blanked, though soon it grew too heavy.

She shifted, hoping to alleviate the feeling or find something more comfortable, though any movement came with great difficulty. It wasn't until a few more wiggled shifts that she took note of the all-encompassing and almost suffocating surface around her. Hadn't she gone to sleep the same as any other night? How come it felt so...wrong? In an instant she shot up with enough force for dirt and snow to spray out and away from the makeshift grave she now sat in.

Dirt clung to her pelt as yellow eyes blinked to her surroundings. A...forest? with trees that towered in a circle around her. For a moment longer, she sat there processing, like some creature from a horror scene before she coughed, dirt sputtering from her maw. “What in Seven Hells!”
— Written by @asori

the staff team luvs u
03-19-2021, 10:20 AM
^^He and Persephone hadn't been able to find the woman that had told Persephone the history of Winterheart Forest. It had been through a lot, seen a great deal of change but stood until the earth itself reclaimed it. He was curious if somehow this realm was all at the mercy of the Fates. Maybe they'd gotten so bored just dealing with mortals so they decided somehow to rig the gods into their puppets. That was a conversation to have with his brother at some point. Persephone seemed to have no ideas or connections to that part of their lives, and Hades wasn't going to force it on her.

A sudden shout caught his attention and his ears turned to seek out the sound. The rise was in the distance and he climbed just a bit more until he saw a figure there - his blue eyes bright and confused. What was shock was quickly replaced with joy, a smile spreading wide on Hades maw. “How did you end up here?!” He asked quickly, one paw reaching between the trees to reach out to tap her. “Surely you didn't feel my panic all the way back at home.” Hades was teasing, of course, but seeing her there was comforting to him.^^
the staff team luvs u
Discovery
03-21-2021, 06:36 AM (This post was last modified: 04-25-2021, 04:57 AM by Valk. Edited 1 time in total.)
The empty woods wouldn't remain empty long as a set of heavy pawsteps caused her ear to twitch. Truthfully if it had been anyone else to cross her path after the rude awakening they would likely regret stepping foot here, but the voice that graced her ears was familiar. Quickly Hecate's eyes moved to the tall dark form that now reached out to her with a wide-set grin. Hades.

The woman snorted and shook her head, “Of course it's you.” Hauling the rest of her body out from the ground she'd press through the slotted trees shaking lose more of the dirt that insisted on clinging to her pelt before pressing her head to Hades's shoulder in an embrace. “I thought you would have learned by now that when you're in deep shit I will always be two steps behind to haul your ass out.”

“Speaking of—” Hecate pulled away glancing around the lush mysterious forest. It held an almost intimidating air between the beauty and shrouding fog, with trees that towered like great walls above them. She almost didn't want to ask what he was doing out here, but first things first, Where are we, Hades?
— Written by @asori

the staff team luvs u
Formation
03-21-2021, 11:20 PM (This post was last modified: 04-11-2021, 06:05 AM by Hades. Edited 1 time in total.)
^^Hades just grinned at her - looking every bit the confident King she knew. Well. Mostly confident. Fairly self deprecating. Typically only Hecate really saw that, though. “Would you rather have Zeus?” Hades asked. He moved back and watched as she pressed through the trees. He made sure to give her space and reached out to brush some of the dirt away from her face with his muzzle. “Trust me, I'm extremely grateful for it.” Hades stepped back to look her over and made sure that she didn't have any injuries or issues.

“This forest is called Winterheart. And it's where I'm establishing a kingdom, with Persephone.” He couldn't remember if they'd known one another before but really, it didn't matter. He was happy to share his plans with Hecate and know that Hecate was there to support him. “We woke up about a month ago by the lake....no memories. They're showing up slowly, and I've found a how host of deities.” Hades admitted. He had no idea the rhyme or reason and if it was something that was planned he would have appreciated the heads up and being included in the plan. “Let's get you back to the river so you can get something to drink. All that dirt can't taste good.” Hades said, nodding back towards where he'd come from - the river wasn't too far away after all.^^
the staff team luvs u
03-23-2021, 12:06 PM (This post was last modified: 04-25-2021, 04:57 AM by Valk. Edited 1 time in total.)
“I'd rather be a mortal sent to the seventh layer of hell than go through the personal torture that is your brothers.” Well, that was a little unfair. Posiden wasn't that bad, but Zeus and his temper tantrums were more than a headache. She rolled her eyes as Hades brushed off what she couldn't reach, but would give him an affectionate bump for the help...well...until she froze at his words.

Persephone?

The king didn't slow, maybe he hadn't yet noticed the shock that quickly overcame her as she still tried to process everything in the catchup. As nice as water sounded after the dirt bath, that could wait a moment, “Back up. First part. You're creating a kingdom... with Persephone? Demeter's Persephone???”

That girl was a child, just barely an adult at best. She was probably one of the few individuals to even know of her existence. Demeter had always been protective of her daughter and practically hid her away her whole life. What was she doing out here with someone like Hades? Demeter would kill him. The moon-kissed woman leaned back with an overly owl-like gaze and forced smile as she forced out her next words, Did you finally lose that head of yours?!
— Written by @asori

the staff team luvs u
03-23-2021, 03:51 PM (This post was last modified: 03-23-2021, 04:45 PM by Valk. Edited 1 time in total.)
^^Hades laughed warmly, nodding at that. “He's....a lot sometimes. It's nice having him in small doses.” Although he didn't particularly mind some of the visits to Olympus. He did enjoy seeing Hebe and Hera. Poseidon could be fun, he managed to make most anything fun to him. It was nice to break down from his...well. Coldness sometimes. He knew stick in the mud was a term used on him often. No matter what he'd said he didn't understand why Hecate stopped in her tracks, looking at him like he had sprouted three heads. “Hecate?” Hades asked, head tilting in confusion. Before a hand would have brushed his hair back, nervous fidgeting as he tried to process things.

But what she said made him almost reel back, neck jerking like she'd bit him on the damn nose. DEMETER. Red flags went off in his head, panic everywhere, brimstone and pitchforks stabbing into him. “What do you mean Demeter? He asked tensely, eyes wide. “She said her Mother was intense but she never told me her name He said quickly. Hecate didn't stop though and Hade had no idea why. “I mean we get along really well? It's just....easy with her?” Confusion struck him hard and he shirked back from Hecate in a way that he never did from anyone else.

“What am I missing because this shouldn't be a big deal?” Hades didn't like the way she was looking at him so incredulously and the King didn't know what Hecate knew that he didn't. It happened often enough, really, but it didn't make it any better in this situation.^^
the staff team luvs u
03-28-2021, 07:27 AM (This post was last modified: 04-25-2021, 04:57 AM by Valk. Edited 1 time in total.)
For a moment he just stared bewildered at her like he had no clue. Well, he did have no clue, but in his panic spouting, he did little to ease her nerves. It was easy with her? Easy?! An uneasy smile sat on her lips as Hecate played the words over and over in her head. Had she a heeled shoe to tap it would certainly be clicking against the ground right now. “Hades I swear to the titans if you are taking advantage of that girl because she is EASY I will Personally. End. You.” Each word was spat through gritted fangs, the smile remaining all the same as she took a step forward.

“You realize she's AT LEAST half your age, don't you? How did he stand there so oblivious. Not knowing she was Demeter's daughter was one thing. A lot of people didn't know Demeter even had a daughter, but to not see how much younger she was is an issue all on its own. She's a child. Actually...was she? It hadn't been that long since she last saw Persphone, but maybe more time had passed than she recalled. Either way, she was still too young for him.
— Written by @asori

the staff team luvs u
03-28-2021, 07:43 AM
^^It wasn't exactly uncommon that Hecate was more clued in than Hades. Despite being King of the realm, he tended to miss some of those smaller details in the oversight of all of it. So Hecate often served to bring those finer small details to his attention. Now however, it hurt more, the stress of her silence filling a multitude of spiraling in his head. Silence invited the whispers of the demons after all. “Take ADVANTAGE of her!” He stared down into her yellow gaze, blue eyes hardened. “I'd never and you should know that.” Regardless of who Hades wasn't like that.

No. No he had no idea her age. They hadn't talked about it after all. Hades thoughts shifted and his demeanor crumbled right with it. He was never against Hecate and regardless of their status they never quarrelled over those details. “Half?!” He sputtered, head tipping back with an exasperated grimace. “That's not even fair to suggest - I've never been good at telling ages!” How fair was it, given that after a point Gods never aged? He huffed and then leveled his gaze on Hecate again. “She's an adult on her own, Hecate, she's capable. She doesn't need to be babysat.” Hades pointed out.

He turned away from her, looking back towards the river, hoping that whatever Hecate thought she'd realize if she saw them together it might prove to her. “She's different than anyone I've known before.” He admitted. “And we aren't rushing anything - we don't....I don't....Hecate, I don't...” He winced, suddenly doubting himself. Or at least, finding the reason to doubt this good thing in his life.^^
the staff team luvs u
04-02-2021, 05:08 AM
Hecate!!

She knew that voice anywhere, though she wasn't close enough to make out exactly what they were saying. Bounding through the forest, near where Persephone looked frequently for the woman of Winterheart, she dove into the scene to practically tackle the older, darker woman with fierce affection, though it was hardly enough to knock her over.

“When did you get here?!” She asked, springing back, unable to keep her feet still in her excitement. “Do you two know each other??” She asked, gaze landing on Hades, a flutter happening in her chest when their eyes met.
the staff team luvs u
[Image: 32742104_CtCyQBtRsKxdbdr.gif]
— Hades is welcome in any thread Persephone is in, and, may powerplay her if the need is there
— Mother, please stay out of my threads :c
04-07-2021, 05:55 AM (This post was last modified: 04-25-2021, 04:58 AM by Valk. Edited 1 time in total.)
He snapped back, his voice raised as it so often was towards his subordinates, but rarely had he ever done so towards her. Hades stared down at her easily, his height only adding to the glare he shot her way. So she shot one back. The smile slowly fading from her features as she was left with a cold moon-like stare. Of course Hecate knew better than to think so low of him, and truthfully she didn't, but just because they were close did not mean that she would drop her threat so easily.

Fortunately, the witch wouldn't have to say more as the previously imposing man before her cracked, a side he showed few as his insecurities and doubts seeped in. She sighed, the back of her paw raising to rub at her face as she took a moment to think. “Hades—”

And then a body collided with her.

A brief Oof— escaped her as Hecate quickly whipped her head to her "attacker". Ordinarily, anyone who might try such a stunt would leave bleeding, though the soft familiar voice that had called out to her before impact stopped her. It was as if some hidden switch had been flipped as a genuine smile was quickly slapped on while pale eyes scanned over the girl before her. “Persephone! So good to see you again, you've grown. She stole a glance to Hades herself, a knowing look despite her grin.

“Don't worry your pretty little head, I just got here. Hades is an old friend of mine we've worked together for a while now. He was also just about to show me around this lovely new kingdom he's decided to make.” Once more she'd turn back to him now smiling with her eyes closed, “Isn't that right, Hades?”
— Written by @asori

the staff team luvs u
04-07-2021, 06:42 AM
^^Neither of them were the types to go at each other. Hades, however, couldn't shake that impossible sensation and the creeping of wrong along his spine that she'd ever see him in a light like that. The rational portion of him knew that she didn't see him that way. And yet. Didn't everyone see him as this monster? Didn't they give him a new name because using his was to bring darkness to them? After so long of hearing such horrible things Hades had started to believe them. Maybe he'd always believed them, after all, he'd heard Kronos' whispering to him for far longer.

Her voice was gentle enough and it carried the weight of so much. Hades turned back to look at her, blue eyes searching her gaze but a voice broke their revere and Hades knew it immediately. A soft smile replaced the look of near panic on his face, and Hecate, she bounced back immediately. Hades was dumbfounded for a moment but Hecate took the time to explain it all. He could see her hands, clasped by her chin, as she succinctly provided all the explanation necessary. “She needs to see her home, after all.” He glanced between the two women and let out a ragged sigh.

“We've found others....Poseidon is here...but I haven't found Zeus yet.” Admittedly thanks to Persephone he hadn't exactly been focused on looking either.^^
the staff team luvs u
04-12-2021, 03:18 AM
Internally, the young she-wolf preened at the observation that she had, in fact, grown. She outwardly preened too, nosing Hecate's cheek, tail waving behind her. Though the Goddess of all things Magic and Witchcraft was an intimidating soul, Persephone was fond of her. This was obvious in the way the girl looked at her, ears perked, adoration plain on her face. “Hecate, be nice. He's not that old,” She oh-so-seriously admonished with a giggle, chancing a glance at the man in question, a playful glint in her eye. “Only old enough that he saw the dinosaurs die out.” But also, what was a dinosaur?? She knew the word but not the knowledge behind it, a curious and disorienting feeling.

Trotting over to him, her nose brushed the underside of his chin, affectionate and demure before she pulled away from him. “Hecate's staying with us?” She asked then, excitedly looking between them.
the staff team luvs u
— Hades is welcome in any thread Persephone is in, and, may powerplay her if the need is there
04-26-2021, 04:53 AM
Seeing little Persephone brimming with so much pride caused her own heart to swell. She still resembled the girl-child who she had stayed and studied poisonous plants with back in the mortal realm, but a new aura of maturity hung about her - responsibility had a habit of forcing that on people, but not everyone was able to take it so gracefully.

Hecate smiled as she accepted the nosing of her cheek dutifully, and gave the little wolf a playful bump with her shoulder.

“Hecate is staying,” she answered succinctly, not bothering to wait for Hades. He wouldn’t know what to do without his director of operations anyway, and if she were to get used to this form, better to do so whilst knocking heads together in the way she knew best. Besides, punishment for insubordination would have to be more... creative with her new physical limitations, and she relished the challenge.

“Poseidon? What is he here, a duck?” she asked incredulously. “Wonder if we could eat him.”

Glancing around them, she was clearly searching for something - answers, perhaps - but gave up. “So... this kingdom. I’m assuming less marble and stone, and more... peeing on bushes? I don’t know if I’m into that.” she stared ruefully back at her hindquarters, noting the gentle wagging of her tail - and willed it to stop. 

’Gonna have to learn to control the emotional barometer, there. Yeesh.’

the staff team luvs u
04-26-2021, 05:04 AM
^^His mouth fell open, looking between the two women at their swift and unified betrayal. “This is a mistake,” He groaned out. “I didn't realize how cruel you'd be in one another's company. Hecate rubbed off on you, Persephone.” He knew how cruel Hecate could be. She often joined him in his rampages. It was often a past time they shared. “So far,” He said, moving swiftly through the conversation onto their forms. “Everyone has appeared like this. It's a cruel twist of Fate.” Hades said and shrugged one shoulder wolfishly, tail just carefully flicking behind him.

“Come then, we'll show you some of the features of the lands and get you settled.” Hades knew that there wasn't a question of if the dark female would stay. Hecate had always been so entwined in his business and realm it was hard to imagine her not here. And he'd half to talk to her more without Persephone right there on why she was so worked up about the notion that Hades and Persephone might be involved.“Unfortunately thumbs are useless here and so are any of my powers. I can't summon my bident, I have no idea where Cerberus is, I can't change anything. So we're stuck right now just getting settled. It's beautiful, though, in it's own charming way. I think you'll like it.”

Hades had to push past the idea that he didn't know where Cerberus was or any of the other dogs for that matter. The idea of the babies lost and alone out there made him nervous in a way he didn't want to comprehend. He expected between everyone they'd take care of each other. Cerberus knew his job. They'd manage. The King drew in a deep thought before he focused again on Persephone and Hecate's faces. “I don't know how long Poseidon would want to stay but so far, everyone has banded together.”^^
the staff team luvs u
04-27-2021, 04:03 AM
Short post since the grownups are chattin' <3

“Hardly,” She quipped with a sly grin shot his way, though she did at least soften the blow by moving closer to him, touching her nose to his shoulder before sweeping her tongue over his muzzle. She was, of course, entirely unaware of the talk they'd been having moments prior to her arrival, and was happy to linger close to the large male in light of that lack of knowledge.

Hades led the way, leading Hecate into the more central part of their forest then, allowing Persephone to walk between the two of them, pleased as punch at the turn of events. Her nose wrinkled at the idea of peeing on the pushes, especially in front of anyone else but mostly, the honey wolf remained silent, content to listen to the back and forth between the other two.
the staff team luvs u
04-28-2021, 09:51 PM
Charming was the word, all right. Gone were the great towers of the Underworld, stretching endlessly into the darkness above the city streets, shining and sterile; it seemed now they had traded slick modern architecture for quaint shrubbery and spiraling trees. The grass felt strange beneath her new paws, and she wasn't quite sure how she felt about the individual blades tickling her fur.

She only half-listened to Hades as he lamented his uncertainty in this new setting, the dark wolf's thoughts suddenly drifting to more pressing matters. Her stomach growled.

“Right, right, well I've got another question,” she interrupted. “You guys eaten yet? Like, ah, how do I put this... what's good?”

Hecate dreaded the answer that was sure to come, hoping beyond hope they might suddenly exclaim how they had found a magical fridge nestled in the woods that spawned endless feasts catering to its opener's desires. She could really have gone for a burger right now..

But then another small part of her thought, I get to kill something with my bare teeth, and she smiled just a little bit.

the staff team luvs u
05-03-2021, 09:19 AM
^^Persephone's little lick made him smile, the King for a moment looking down at the dappled woman as if she were the only thing in the world to him. It felt like that, sometimes, but thankfully most of his circle had shown up. Now only the dogs were left, and he wondered if they'd even get included in this whole....displacement.

Hades understood why it was a bit rough for her to think about much else - he should have asked in the first place, but, it didn't matter much. “C'mon,” He nodded towards the path they'd taken to come here. “So I have caught some food and stored it, but if you're eager to try hunting, we can do that too.” The forest was fertile and full of places to eat from. It was only a matter of what she wanted - Hades had no luck with fish yet.

He spared a glance at Persephone before offering her a smile, leading the pair to where he'd stored some of his kills. “We'll get you caught up. It's confusing, still, but not too different.” He'd at least run with Cerberus a few times as a dog - he'd liked that. Being stuck was an entirely different matter entirely.^^
the staff team luvs u
scroll to top