Welcome to Canis Major

a wolf and animal rpg (role-playing game)

Canis is a writing community for play-by-post (forum-based), freeform roleplay set in a fictional dream world in the intrusion fantasy genre. Most characters on Canis are wolves; many play elements are focused around wolves and canids, but the world makes room for a large variety of other animal characters such as dogs, horses, cats, bears, deer, and many, many more.

Our community is focused on flexibility, creativity, and collaboration. That boils down to a few important features:

• There is no set activity requirement to write
  • The setting and plot are member-created and staff-supported
  • The game is continuously improved to increase fun and decrease stress

Learn more in our Rulebook!

AW
Entry no. 001

Sunrise Sunny/Clear
AW
06-24-2022, 08:02 PM (This post was last modified: 06-24-2022, 08:05 PM by Albireo. Edited 1 time in total. Edit Reason: Minor code fix )
Anyone can come in but let @Rin reply first!

The last thing Albireo remembered was the sensation of falling. Stars and planets sped past them at a dizzying rate. The moment they made contact with the atmosphere, everything around them ignited. Searing red hot as they hurtled towards the ground.

Then, for a moment, there was nothing. Until the sensation of cold hit them, forcing them awake. Orange and blue eyes cracked open and their vision was filled with pure white. As they began to stand on shaky legs, they immediately knew something was off. They looked down and saw that their feet looked drastically different, and were covered in white and black hair.

But, that wasn't of utmost importance to them right now. As their memories began to resurface, they wondered where their ship had gone. And, where was Echo? She was always close by.

In a fit of desperation, Albireo called out in their mother tongue. Though, to anyone else it would've sounded like meaningless warbling. ". -.-. .... --- -.-.-- / . -.-. .... --- --..-- / -.. --- / -.-- --- ..- / .... . .- .-. / -- . ..--.."

They waited for a minute. No response.

They whined. How were they supposed to fulfill their mission without Echo or the ship? And with no opposable thumbs, even!

the staff team luvs u
Adventurer
06-28-2022, 05:12 PM
She realized it was not unusual for people to 'appear' from nowhere. All sorts of individuals came to the land, and more that she'd most likely meet in the future. Yet, Rin didn't connect such dots of possibilities that if full-grown adults can be found roaming, why wouldn't children be as well? Her ears flickered, the sounds of clicks in the distance that was unusual. They sounded like wolven tongue, whining as so and yet she didn't really catch whether the other was speaking, or within unknown tongues. She licked her own muzzle, a thinking that surely none speak her own mother-tongue.

As she approached around the corner, seeing the figure of a black and white persona ; the gray wolf was rather surprise to spot a near-yearling, assumingly so. They had child-like features, smaller then others as well but — something was alluring about them. A vivid gaze standing through that even from a distance Rin could see. The stagnant view of blue and orange, such a different from her own dull tones.

"Hey."

the staff team luvs u
06-28-2022, 06:34 PM
Albireo jumped when they heard the sound of footsteps. They'd been so focused on their current predicament, that they hadn't thought to check their surroundings. 

Looking nearby, they spotted one of those large, wild dogs. What were they called again? Wulfs? Wolves? This wolf was slightly taller than them, and their fur was a variation of greys and whites that reminded them of snowy mountain caps. Grey eyes gazed at the star with an expression they couldn't quite read.

Judging from the single, one-syllable word they uttered, they knew one of the Earth's many tongues. One Albireo knew very well, at that! So, that means they really did make it to their destination. Though, they thought only the featherless bipeds could speak such a tongue; but anything could be possible, they supposed.

"Greetings, Earth being! Are you from here?" they asked with a tilt of their head. "I come here in peace and wish not to harm anyone." 

the staff team luvs u
"Regular Speech" "Alien language"
06-30-2022, 02:38 AM
They were an oddball, Rin deemed. Although at the very least the child spoke similar language, and the fear of that barrier was now well within the past. Although she wasn't sure what he meant on 'Earthling?' Although she held knowledge, she knew not that some planets held names, much less if they were on the one dubbed 'Earth. Rin was aware of regions and territories with names.

"I live with Duskguard," her snout pointed to the south, right below them where mountains reigned high. Although from their view it was all they could see, beyond was a forest and it's entrance itself, "are you alone? Where is your parents?"

the staff team luvs u
06-30-2022, 03:55 AM
Albireo looked over towards the mountains where the wolf pointed, albeit a bit confused. "Who is this Duskguard you speak of?" they questioned. 

Processing the other's question, the reality of their current situation began to sink in. They truly were alone now, weren't they? Their parents were back at their home planet, and the only one they could rely on now was Echo. 

"I was traveling beside my friend when I arrived here, but it seems she's disappeared from my sight." They looked down sadly, their ears folded back. "It's odd. She usually comes when I call to her..." 

the staff team luvs u
07-01-2022, 07:59 PM
"It is my pack." She couldn't remember pack names too well, and whether the name Duskguard was unusual or not. Although Rin had learned of some, such as Shiroshika, which she found was unusual only due to the language she did not know. If another was beyond something other then French or English she wasn't really sure about it, although it was also a wonder at how common it was for other languages to intermingle? This one spoke.. Something earlier, she just didn't hear it.

Rin looked around, she sniffed the air but detected nothing besides the two, "what does she look like?"

the staff team luvs u
07-01-2022, 08:24 PM
Albireo nodded. "Your pack? I see." From context clues, they assumed a pack was a group of some sort. They hoped that the others in her pack were as friendly as her. Maybe they would also help the star with their problem.

They closed their eyes for a moment, trying to figure out how they could accurately describe their friend's appearance. "Her name is Echo. She's a small creature that's covered in white and has big, black eyes. She also has two wings and a pointy mouth." Cocking their head to the side, they added with uncertainty apparent in their voice, "I think Earth beings call creatures like her...birds?"

the staff team luvs u
Adventurer
07-14-2022, 04:49 AM
"A snow owl?" Rin asked to verify. Big and white with black beak ; although there was a variety of different white birds, she knew that they were the most common of companions. What was interesting though was a child, alone, with a bird companion that was now lost. At the very least she'd keep an eye out.. For this so-called companion, but birds were tricky. Maybe he was just abandoned by her.

"What is your name?" she then asked another question, "I am Rin."

the staff team luvs u
07-14-2022, 12:17 PM
Albireo hummed. "Snow owl? So that's what they're called..." They had only the most basic knowledge about this planet's flora and fauna, so they didn't know much about different types of birds and their names. It made them wonder what other sorts of animals were out there. Could they also talk like this one?

They smiled and did a movement akin to a bow. "My name is Albireo! It's nice to meet you, Rin."

the staff team luvs u
07-17-2022, 08:16 PM
"Yeah." Such a strange boy. She was interested what he was doing earlier with the clicking and clacking, but at the moment felt time had passed too much to redirect it back. They were more focused on the factor that his companion was missing ; a snow owl by the name of echo. A boy whose parents are far, far away and let him do what he so pleases. Rin wasn't sure why she was uncomfortable seeing this small boy running around alone.

"If you need a place to stay.." surely @Olive and @Tiberius would not turn away a child, "I can bring you to my pack as we search for Echo."

the staff team luvs u
07-21-2022, 01:22 PM
Albireo nodded. "I suppose that would be fine. Thank you for your assistance." 

Whatever else they were planning to say was instantly lost once they picked up a familiar trilling sound from afar. Their ears perked up, surprised by what they were hearing. "Echo?"

The star wasted no time in speeding towards the source of the call, forgetting about Rin entirely. They didn't care where their feet took them, as long as they could reunite with their friend.

Exit, unless stopped.

the staff team luvs u
scroll to top