Welcome to Canis Major

a wolf and animal rpg (role-playing game)

Canis is a writing community for play-by-post (forum-based), freeform roleplay set in a fictional dream world in the intrusion fantasy genre. Most characters on Canis are wolves; many play elements are focused around wolves and canids, but the world makes room for a large variety of other animal characters such as dogs, horses, cats, bears, deer, and many, many more.

Our community is focused on flexibility, creativity, and collaboration. That boils down to a few important features:

• There is no set activity requirement to write
  • The setting and plot are member-created and staff-supported
  • The game is continuously improved to increase fun and decrease stress

Learn more in our Rulebook!

Group Only
2BDamned

Afternoon Partly Cloudy 88° F
Group Only
Elkshire
06-22-2022, 11:44 PM

Looking for someone from Elkshire to find him as a soft joining thread/pre-joining thread! Backdated to 6/08/22.

Doc awoke from a dreamless sleep.

No, that wasn't right... he had definitely dreamt, but as soon as his eyes opened, the memory of it began to bleed together and fade like watercolor. Beams of golden light pierced the odd, angular apparatus on his face, blending into an orange as it passed through the red glass. It was a gentle awakening.

Drowsily, he lifted his head from his plush grass pillow. He felt... different somehow, but he couldn't put his finger on it. Glancing around, he was surprised by the lack of hard angles of manmade invention. Even on the off-chance he'd fallen asleep outside, he would've expected sand and rock on a flat expanse, not the lush greenery accompanied by the sound of birds chirping. This place was so utterly opposite to what Doc was used to, he was convinced he'd been transported to a new world.

How strange... He mused inwardly, slowly rising to stand. His bones creaked in protest. Well, that was actually normal. Comically, he attempted to stand only on his hind legs, but that seemed... unnatural for this form. Unable to retain his balance, he fell to all fours again and glanced down at his feet. They were not as he remembered. Drawing his gaze back to what he could glean of the rest of his body, that was different, too: Covered in coarse fur and designed to traverse the land parallel to the ground. Reaching a hand— no, a paw— to touch his face, Doc was comforted to find his goggles were intact and present, at least. It was one familiar thing to root himself, a reminder he was still him.

Well... now what? He appeared to be in the middle of nowhere with no clear indication of where to go, what to do, or even who he was. Did he just pick a direction and start walking? Doc took a step, unsteady like a child's first. Thankfully, the act came naturally, some primal part of his brain already understanding the process and taking over. Perhaps he could use a stroll to jog his memory.

Yes, that sounded good. Carving his own path through the overgrowth, he began to wander, digging through his grey matter like file cabinets for any memory, no matter how insignificant. Meanwhile, the outside world faded into the background. It felt safe here— something he noted surprised him. That had to mean something.

Doc had no idea where he was going, but at least he was getting somewhere.

the staff team luvs u
Elkshire
Adventurer
06-23-2022, 12:38 AM
Whenever a figure came near Elkshire, it was often herself of her son @Warwick that tended so. A curiosity set forth by the Deorwines, a 'kindness' that one was real and the other was not, but none truly had faced the wrath of said-pack. Although.. Couldn't say that they held the manpower to do so, she thought, as her tail swept below and she sought out an unfamiliar scent within their unofficial grounds. Smelling them, knowing they were near and finally ; within sight.

Tall as they were, though gray to the view. An unusual look, but not unlike @Niklaus, although they held.. An unusual something near them, something that reminded her of what the raccoon wore, and vaguely wondered if it had something to do with the civilization that @Nikitas mentioned oh-so long ago. An unusual one, who was here, then not ; awakening within the land of her own and she approached with a smile, "You are within Elkshire land stranger," she greeted, "although.. You seem to just awaken," as she so assumed. As so many have before him.

the staff team luvs u
06-23-2022, 05:08 AM
Sensitive ears picked up on the presence of another, and he turned to face them. A chocolate brown wolfess greeted him, a warm smile on her face. “'Elkshire'?” He parroted, voice coarse from sleep. It seemed he was intruding, but she did not seem bothered by it. The way she spoke of "awakening" had him questioning if she understood what was going on here. Neither did this surreal occurrence seem to phase her. “Er... yes, I just woke up here, though I have no idea how I got to this place. I don't mean to intrude,” Doc explained.

“Is it commonplace for people to wake up in strange places and different bodies around here?” He asked half-jokingly, willing to risk being seen as a bit "out of it" if it meant getting an answer.

the staff team luvs u
Adventurer
06-23-2022, 10:49 PM
They were awkward ; everything about them seemed rather awkward. To their presence within the forest, the voice itself and the unusual attire upon their head that looked to be uncomfortable and generally, didn't seem to stay on well.. Like they were close to slipping, "It's quite alright. My pack is not so hostile to chase out those who do not show aggression." A friendliness exterior, for any use that another would bring and a kindness to possibly follow. To be of use, or not? That was the life of plain walkers who ventured into the crown.

She hummed lightly, "although many come to these lands as plain walkers, I do not believe I have heard the exchange of bodies." A new one indeed, Celnes thought. Although she vaguely remembered some individuals saying they had a different life, no one had truly come out to say they were anything but a wolf ; just places and kingdoms that were unlike any other. How pitiful these lost souls were.

the staff team luvs u
06-23-2022, 11:07 PM
“ My pack is not so hostile to chase out those who do not show aggression,” The woman explained. Well that was... reassuring, he supposed. 'Elkshire' must've been the name of her pack, then. She used the term 'Plain Walkers', which seemed to hold some deeper meaning. It seemed what he was experiencing wasn't entirely unheard of, then.

“'Plain walkers'?” He again asked indirectly for clarification, parched for knowledge. It'd been a long time since Doc had felt this utterly confused. “I don't mean to bombard you with questions, you just came along... well, right after I arrived in this world, I guess. It's a lot to process.” On one hand, there was a wellspring of new knowledge to be had. But on the other, Doc felt vulnerable not knowing anything. Knowledge was power, after all. And... he was totally alone. Had anyone from his past come to this world? And if they did, would he ever have the chance to meet them? Would they even remember each other? He shook these troubling thoughts away for now, finding them unproductive.

“I remember being called 'Doc' in the past, so that name should do,” He said with an awkward chuckle. “It's nice to meet you, miss...?”

the staff team luvs u
06-23-2022, 11:21 PM
"It is but a nickname we made up — to dub those who came here, from nowhere, like you, and myself." Although at the time, it had been a full year since she was 'wisped' to this land from her previous, supposed death. She still remembered it vividly, she remembered her home, oh-so vividly. She remembered her first home into flames itself and her second a rebuilding of, only for traitors in the midst to occur. Was it better to have memories, or to lose them like this man?

"It is quite alright. You are not the first, and surely not the last.." Her eye wandered beyond him so, almost as if to think another would appear without a thought as they done so. Sometimes some wolves come in pairs, some alone, or the searching for another. Her pumpkin gaze retraced and went back to him with an elegant smile, "I am Celnes Deorwine, Queen of Elkshire."

the staff team luvs u
06-24-2022, 01:38 PM
Ah, so that's why she was not shocked; she, too, had awoken here like him. The fact that this phenomenon wasn't all that uncommon after all gave him a dense of déjà vu. Maybe this world and the last were connected somehow. But that hypothesis was best saved for later.

“I see...” Doc mused, keeping his observations— and subsequent questions— to himself for the time being. The woman's introduction was leaps and bounds more formal and refined than his. She was regal not just in title but how she held herself with poise, and how her speech was gracious and articulate. Célnes embodied everything his land of origin was not, his gut noted.

“It's a pleasure to make your acquaintance, Célnes,” Doc said, trying to at least return a fraction of her manners. The question of if could join this 'Elkshire' was hot on his tongue, but he chose to let her guide the conversation, instead.

the staff team luvs u
06-27-2022, 07:41 PM
Strange and gray, how would her young react to such a man within the woods? Already have they shown such tendencies against white, but.. In truth the Queen wasn't sure how they became such colorists when she pointed them to a tamer road and couldn't help wonder if someone like @Corliss fed into their heads of so, or simply came to their own conclusions. Not that she generally corrected either, it was a rather unbothering trait that simply brought a few moments of headaches. As long, as she wasn't challenged, all seem fine.

"Now that you know of so, what is your plans?" She thought of such a paw of invitation, but first digged to whether he seemed interested, or was but another loner in the midst of these lands.

the staff team luvs u
06-29-2022, 06:34 PM
Célnes asked him what his plans were. He had no idea; Doc hadn't the memory of himself or where he came from to have even the slightest clue. To traverse these unknown lands alone would be like feeling his way deeper into a vantablack cave. But Célnes and her people knew— they were the ones who held the torches to lead the way, surely knowing the labyrinth that was this world like the backs of their hands.

“I'm still quite lost right now, in every sense. If I could join your 'Elkshire' to at least get my bearings, that would be greatly appreciated.” It didn't feel right to only ask of something and offer nothing in return. But what did he have to offer?

Think, damnit!

The epithet 'Doc'... there was some deeper piece of information within it, wasn't there? Why did everyone call him that? “I believe... I was a medic, before,” He began, brow furrowing as his hippocampus worked in overtime. “I'm confident my memory and knowledge will come to me in due time. I would do my best to repay your kindness.” There was scarcely an overabundance of medics, no? Doc hoped this would suffice.

the staff team luvs u
07-07-2022, 07:30 PM
"We could always use more wolves.. Many children roam these woods, we especially would be pleased to welcome more medics." Although at the moment there was just Cynefrid, for some time she has been rather low-key and within her own den. Celnes didn't even call her for when it was time to give birth, and minded her time idly. No one within Elkshire had been so damaged though thankfully that any was truly needed ; but medics were always wanted, as well as warriors. He looked like a man that could duel-wield such, despite how unusual he may seem.

"Welcome to Elkshire," she said with a widened smile.

the staff team luvs u
scroll to top