Welcome to Canis Major

a wolf and animal rpg (role-playing game)

Canis is a writing community for play-by-post (forum-based), freeform roleplay set in a fictional dream world in the intrusion fantasy genre. Most characters on Canis are wolves; many play elements are focused around wolves and canids, but the world makes room for a large variety of other animal characters such as dogs, horses, cats, bears, deer, and many, many more.

Our community is focused on flexibility, creativity, and collaboration. That boils down to a few important features:

• There is no set activity requirement to write
  • The setting and plot are member-created and staff-supported
  • The game is continuously improved to increase fun and decrease stress

Learn more in our Rulebook!

P
You lose yourself when the wind flows through your hair,

Morning Partly Cloudy
P
06-22-2022, 11:14 PM
There was more faces within the Golden Glade, some by coincidence, some by her welcoming, and others by accidents. She knew not if @Niklaus planned to stay around but did not mind his presence, and welcomed it as though. Although a clear bias may be so as she found herself attracted to such a wayfaring man, and yet.. An eye glanced toward an individual through accidents, one she found herself blushing within the cheek for the sheer reasoning of — Uriel was embarrassed.

@"Lorcan Altaire" brought her to 'home,' although within her groggy and painful state she was rather pitiful with giving directions and taking time. She apologized to him throughout the journey, maybe just a few more times then what was needed, but as she started to gain a better sense.. Her guilt started to ease up and embarrassed how she presented herself. Although Uriel limped lightly through the forest, nothing was broken, but painfully bruised.

She felt her paws grow warm and heat to her cheeks thinking how much she leaned on him. She perhaps enjoyed his presence far more then she should've, especially with a stranger ; but how she wallowed in the need of comfort of so. Maybe desperate, Uriel was, the desire of comfort another and the safety net of those around.. She was selfish. She didn't want any of them to leave, much less the horse like @Strawberry and fears the day that @Khadne would decide to leave, or even worse.. She tried not to think about it.

Sometimes when she would be alone, she would greatly desire his side — to feel warm again. He was the only individual thus far as she truly been close to in terms of bodies, for naturally.. She often kept others at an arms length away. In a fear of being hurt, in the fear that friendship being taken away ; she still dreaded, the day her home too, would be taken.

But nonetheless she could not take such a gratitude, and sought the man.

the staff team luvs u
Adventurer
06-23-2022, 02:33 AM
Lorcan had traveled here, not by choice, but by being dutifully bound to @Uriel to bring her home. He had to admit, it was quite the lustrous place. There was a layer of hedges that covered the entrance to the glade, hiding everything in between. It was a sheltered place.

It felt like a hollowed home, perfect for almost anything. A hideaway from the rest of the world. He could understand why anyone would want to stow away here; he found himself longing for something like it, too. 

Lorcan didn't have a home. Or rather, he chose not to. Settling down somewhere to call his own was not nearly on his agenda of things to do, but neither was bringing home a blonde maiden at his willing service either. Many things had changed in the past few days. 

He hadn't felt the desire to leave per-se. Lorcan would be exploring. He'd found his way to different river streams, lapping at the cool water, then traversing through to hunt and critter-watch. He'd found himself missing his little Pika friend, but that was alright. The man didn't know why he stayed.

Today would be the day that he would leave, for sure. Most definitely. He would be on his way out...

the staff team luvs u
Adventurer
06-23-2022, 02:44 AM (This post was last modified: 06-23-2022, 02:45 AM by Uriel. Edited 1 time in total.)
She never did get close enough look at him ; her adventure that day was perhaps too exciting, drawn in by the charisma of another and the downfall, of a literal fall. He was a very tall man, towering over her but wasn't a giant, he wasn't like an ogre and had a charm to him she'd admit, as any girl would blush at so. Although perhaps found herself a bit too much in vulnerable positions with him, and the best that Uriel could do was give her gratitude.

She approached, a shy smile to her face with a short greeting, unaware of his attempts of desire to explore elsewhere. She'd most likely be saddened to hear so, even if they'd just met. It's hard to have friends to pin down, to see some — maybe it was selfish, a slight desperation of a woman with no one, "Lore," her tail swayed lightly.

"I want to once more express my thank you for bringing me back to the Golden Glade," she refrained from calling it a home this time., "is there anyway I could repay you?" although she had nothing, she could fish.

the staff team luvs u
Adventurer
06-23-2022, 03:08 AM
Lorcan was about to impede from the landing, about to high tail out of the brush but a soft voice caught the coil of his ear, making him turn backward. He pivoted on his heel, facing the blonde wolf who interrogated him.

He heard his name, and his ears flickered. "Uriel," he'd return the greeting. She was still beautiful, regardless of the tumultuous fall that she took. Her tail swayed side to side; she was happy to see him? Why?

"Please," he'd shake his head, rejecting her offer. "It was my fault that you got hurt." Lorcan was evidently nervous as he looked over his shoulder, briefly disconnecting their eye contact, but looking back at her. She looked enamored by him, almost desperately wanting him to stay. He didn't know if he was making that up. Maybe he wanted it to be true— he didn't know. 

"No, no. I insist, it was the least that I could do for you." I'd rather do much more, the words almost spilled from his tongue but he refrained. He held his tongue on this, biting it until it bled.

the staff team luvs u
06-23-2022, 03:27 AM
"Oh no.. That was on me.. I wasn't careful enough." She knew at heart it was her fault ; falling for such a charisma without checking what was around. Without even a headstart to go forward as well, and simply diving with a thought and an open-heart. It wasn't the first time she found herself within a tricky situation, and most likely will not be the last.. Uriel knew she could blame no one besides herself. It seemed every time she left the Glade, there was trouble upon the wind. Her luck was just not well.

At the very least, it made her meet a few individuals that she enjoyed.

"I can offer uhm, perhaps fish.. or show around the plains more,"
her eyes trailed beyond, he stood at the edge and looked to be facing out out he turned to her. Like a light-bulb her eyes dimmed lightly, realizing he was most likely on his way, "if you're leaving too, be careful — there's a lot of, not-so good wolves south and territorial horses." Her ears tugged back lightly, flattening remembering the red terror down below, and the thoughts of the horses running around.. Although some were relatively nice, she didn't wish for them to cause grief against others.

the staff team luvs u
Adventurer
06-23-2022, 04:31 AM
She had a kind heart, Lorcan could assume that much. She wanted nothing more than to be feeble and loved; it reminded him faintly of someone he once knew, and an oddity along with it struck his heart narrowly. 

"I'm not a fan of fish," he'd making a face, tongue sticking out of his mouth in disgust. "But I'll take you up on that tour." he'd smirk lightly, approaching her. His gait was amiable, swaying his broad shoulders, her scent engulfing him. The more he was around her, the more it seemed to linger on his coat. 

The verbose truth was: is that he didn't mind it all that much. She wasn't annoying, at least yet, and seemed to be kind, docile. He liked that. 

What he didn't like was the way her eyes dimmed as if the light was leaving them, and how her ears had flattened. He was upsetting her. "I'm not leaving—" he'd quickly retort, his own ears flattening in response. He thought that it was her becoming allured to his personality, but it might just be the very opposite. He didn't know much about the plains, and he wasn't really in the sight-seeing operation when he was focusing on her, only on her, on his trek back to her home. 

Right. This was her home. She had called it a home, but now she referenced it as the Golden Glade. Interesting— he wondered if it was her who had named it. It reminded him of her. Bright, part of the sun, beautiful.

the staff team luvs u
06-24-2022, 07:24 PM
"I hope i'm not keeping you," although Uriel was more then pleased as shown by her tail lightly swinging low, but she would hope she was not pulling him back. Very much did she understood the loner-life and the lust for adventure, as she too held that once firmly. Yet.. It was scary, admittingly, and more then ever did she start to hesitate going into unknown places, even though she could see some oddities within a distance. .. She saw the forest within the desert over yonder, but forcibly tore her curious gaze away days ago, and stored the thought at the back of her head.

"There's a lot to see in the plains.. Although lately it seems many are claiming the territories around." As her paw pointed down south, within the large distance, where if most likely the two ventured further, they'd see the land of where the castle stood, and next to it where a new pack emerged of an unknown name. She hoped the cat clan and wolf pack were at least at peace.

"Is there anywhere in particular you are interested in?"
As she dedicated herself to be a tour-guide of sorts, her ears flickered and looked to him. His eyes held a gold, although she did not notice.. There seemed to be flecks of other colors within them ; a slight difference within the gold that matched her pelt. Uriel blinked lightly while looking.

the staff team luvs u
Adventurer
06-28-2022, 08:15 PM

"—Yet." Lorcan would finish his sentence. That would be a lie: he was prepared to leave then. However the glint in her eye, that oh-so-sweet tenderness of her retinas practically begged him to stay. Just a little while longer couldn't hurt, could it? He had no place to be.

Nowhere but here.

Lorcan's eyes would flash with something, unbeknownst to him, akin to a narrowed slit of caution and envy. More packs? Why would there need to be more of them? "Are you afraid of them?" The man couldn't help but tease her, devilish toothy smile blossoming across his narrowed face. 

Lorcan understood it was part of a wolf's identity to...be with others, but he held no such commitment to wanting that. He wanted...well, he supposed he didn't know what he wanted. He enjoyed the vagrant lifestyle; no connections, no responsibilities, and certainly no regrets. Everything he did was left in the past, only continuing to live in the present. He thought it was a mere waste of time to dote on things that had already happened. 

So, he would continue to live in the present. With Uriel. 

She'd ask him what he wanted to see, but he wasn't sure. He didn't know what this place was, really, just that it was her home. "Show me..." his voice was deep, gruff. "Where you sleep, yeah?" that cheeky smile rose again to his cheeks.

Lorcan watched the way her eyes got lost in his; that dilation of her pupils, offsetting from his own. It made him smirk, bring his muzzle closer to hers. "If you wanted a better look, all you had to do was ask, angioletta."

angioletta—little angel

the staff team luvs u
06-28-2022, 08:35 PM
He was strange, she so dubbed. It honestly felt like with every word he gave it purposely left one wondering, waiting ; what would he say or mix into? She felt if she looked away if he would be gone ; just as she suddenly met by the cliffs and onto and suddenly watching him gaze to the lands before. A flicker of the sunset, the small slither of dark just before the night itself came. It was alluring, yet almost felt too unreal to be true that she held her breath at this encounter.

She could feel her cheeks warm and paws sweat, "oh, apologies, I didn't mean to.. Stare." An awkwardly that caused her own gray view to turn away, to a shuffling paw. Uriel thought that was quite rude of herself, and was quick to try and move on from that embarassment, as she retracted to the land beyond, "but uhm.. It'd be a lie if I said I wasn't."

Although she dreamed of a pack of her own with friends and family she knew ; Uriel was afraid of it. She didn't want to venture to an unknown pack with unknown wolves. She feared the unknown, she feared being surrounded by strangers who could look at her with a scorn. But she feared the packs in the plains, in the thought if they so decided to expand.. Would the glade be next?

Then she looked back into the small, dispersal forest, "I don't have a den, I just.. Sleep wherever available."

A den meant that was an intention to make a home. Uriel had to prepare for the worst.

the staff team luvs u
Adventurer
06-28-2022, 10:42 PM

He liked the way she turned from him, cheeks flushing out of embarrassment. Lorcan got a little laugh out of it before he shook his head. "Don't worry," he'd pucker his tongue, making a 'pop' sound before he muttered his next words, "I like it." She'd meander away from him, looking outward to the land. He'd follow her, albeit sideways and enthralled by the other trees— they were skinny, but broad in leaf structure. How interesting.

Lore would shrug his shoulders, his head following the motion as she confessed her fears. "Do you know who lies around these edges?" The man would think of a multitude of different convents that opted for different things. He'd encounter nomadic tribes, cults almost, and warmongers. The opportunities were endless for what really lied out there. Yet, Uriel didn't seem the type to want to wander. Her being...out on the ledge of that cliffside seemed like a risk as is. "Maybe not all of them bite," he'd suggest, but finding his words to be rather untrue. His tone had been pessimistic as is. 

The man continued to follow her, loosely, as he went around smelling the trees, marking a few of them while she wasn't looking. He knew that many intruders wouldn't take a female's scent into consideration, but maybe his own could make a difference. He didn't want her to know, so he hung back. Only a bit. He still listened to her, ears flickering towards the soft tinge of her voice. 

Her eyes would travel backward. He stood up straight, cocking his head to the side, and would follow her gaze around the area. The small heap of a forest was what she called...a den. How interesting. "You called this place home, no?" He didn't quite get it. If you called some place home, why not make a den? He would do that. Absolutely. Maybe...maybe there was more to it.

the staff team luvs u
06-29-2022, 04:23 AM
Uriel could not deal with teasing, flirting, or even courtship. There was quite a few men and woman who showered her in compliments and words of minor romance, and she tried her best to suck in and move aside.. For generally, she had no idea how to deal with it. Does she do it back, does she compliment, does she say thank you? All there was, was the flush felt through her cheeks and anxious ear flickering, a silver gaze unable to make contact and words that could not come out ; always left speechless, an awkward.. Yet her heart and soul always rejoiced.

The golden dame shook her head, "there is a cat clan, although I do not know the wolf packs down south.. Ah, I believe one is called Greenwood though." They were near the forest, if she remembered. Although hasn't particularly ventured that far due to some minor fears, there had been a few moments she went a bit deep and encountered some. What was his name.. @Oisin that told her of them, "oh, but beyond to the desert is a pack led by a man named @Satan." That was one she did know and had gotten an invitation, although in the moment rejected. She wondered how the albino man was doing.. Him and his, quite unusual name. He seemed nice.

Was it rude to think about others in the company of someone?

"I think there is a sunflower field near their way.." Uriel muttered quietly as her paws led her to the outskirts once more and looking into that direction. They couldn't see it where they were, but she vaguely remembered at one point seeing a few, and yet never ventured forward.. She kept forgetting about it.

When she looked back at Lore, her gazed saddened vaguely, ears lightly dropping, "I'm afraid of the day I will have to leave if a pack decides to claim. Myself and a few others attempted to make home in a tundrian forest, but we were swiftly told it belonged to another. There are many wolves claiming a stake in this region." She was honest on such a reason, as much as she wanted to make it a home, Uriel hesitated. In that moment of weakness did she mutter but once more retracted it.

the staff team luvs u
Adventurer
06-29-2022, 03:07 PM

Lorcan's eyes narrowed, lip curling in disgust as he came shoulder to shoulder with Uriel. "Cats? You're being serious?" Lorcan's mouth fell open in disbelief. Cats? Cats? Lorcan hated cats. Whether they were big, small, tiny, large, he didn't fucking care. Cats were the bane of his existence. 

There was another. A wolf pack. Greenwood. Interesting. Lorcan would have to remember that, maybe even pay toll and take a brief visit. The man enjoyed the influx of information that she fed him, being able to understand a new area helped him greatly. His neck would curve towards her, his head angling curiously. "Satan? Sheesh, what is he, the devil?" The man would scoff, hating that resemblance wolves held towards a being that did not exist. They'd continue to walk together, but Lore pieced it together slowly. 

"If there was a wolf named Satan just south of here, I guess I'd be afraid, too." The man would attempt to sympathize, taking note of her flattening ears. She was clearly upset by that thought, so he'd urge the conversation along. "I wouldn't worry about those cats though. The most they can do is hiss." He'd shrug, trying to offer her a peace of mind that staked her so vivaciously. 

They'd continue to trek along through the glade. It was so peaceful here— the birds, the wind that struck the reeds upon the heaps, the scattering ground mice— it was a paradise indeed. She'd mentioned a sunflower field, yet Lorcan showed no dire interest. He'd hum in response, but nothing more. Lore didn't mind flowers, but she seemed...like she wanted to go there. He'd merely tag along, still afraid she may collapse after that tumble she took off the cliff. 

"I wouldn't mind sticking around. Linger a bit, exploring the area. I've never ventured past the mountains." He said the words cooly as they came upon the patch of flowers. His pupils were blown wide with admiration, a soft sigh leaving his lips as he took in the area. "Only if that's...alright with you." He'd follow up, taking note of her awkward demeanor and bluntness of her words. This was her domain, he was just merely a visitor in it.

the staff team luvs u
06-29-2022, 11:05 PM
His more light-hearted nature on the matters had her changed her more downpour nature to lightly more positive as she chuckled toward his responds, "the plains are quite unusual. Many who speak the same tongue, and names that are taboo for others." It was part of the reason she grown to love it, despite the initial worry and wariness that came to such an open realm. It had it's own charms, wolves and fauna coming together in a strange ecosystem of sorts ; not only she could easily find in the mountains, much less the tundra. Although.. The tiger was the exception.

And she smiled, "the glade is open to any. There's a wolverine named @ Khadne" wandering, and there was another wolf named @Niklaus that was around. I'm not sure where he is now or if he left.. But you are always welcomed here." Uriel would welcome any who lingers — it'd make it seem.. Less lonely. She enjoyed the liveliness that brought, hearing the sounds of others gave a comfort of sorts. Within a truth she didn't like being alone, but had come to accept such facts with the title of a 'lone wolf' that strung along her.

"Perhaps.. I can bring you to that sunflower field?"

They could explore together. Innocently she asked with a smile, as he wanted to venture out a bit ; and she too had a light desire to explore so.. Maybe it was alright to be selfish, just for a moment.

the staff team luvs u
Adventurer
06-29-2022, 11:43 PM

When Uriel mentioned how open she was to newcomers in the glade, especially...nevermind. A sour taste melted on his tongue at the mere thought of it, but he didn't express it visually. Her smile overrode those feelings— especially at how she beamed about the sunflower field. 

"Lead the way, angioletta." The man would utter, his words coming from deep within his chest. He'd swish his tail as they'd walk side-by-side, occasionally tapping his with her own. The glade was now growing on him, if he had not loved it before. Maybe it was being in the presence of such a glowing female such as her, but he'd vividly imagine staying here. Yeah, the hellion incarnate wanted to...settle, or at least he imagined himself to. He practically cringed at those words, but wouldn't deny himself to indulge in such a carnal thought. Uriel held an energy that made him do a double-take the first time he saw her, and eventually drag her up a cliff-side ledge after almost dying. If he were her, he wouldn't have forgiven the scoundrel for such a dubious impulsive act. 

But she was not him.

No, she was something else entirely. Something that was the opposite of him. Lorcan didn't forgive, and most certainly didn't forget. But here Uriel was, walking with the man who told her to jump off a cliff and about to walk through a field of flowers that reflected the sun. It amazed him to see someone hold so much light in their heart— he almost called it bullshit. Bullshit that she wanted him to stay...he thought he had a fever. But no, that was just who she was. Kind.

the staff team luvs u
scroll to top