Welcome to Canis Major

a wolf and animal rpg (role-playing game)

Canis is a writing community for play-by-post (forum-based), freeform roleplay set in a fictional dream world in the intrusion fantasy genre. Most characters on Canis are wolves; many play elements are focused around wolves and canids, but the world makes room for a large variety of other animal characters such as dogs, horses, cats, bears, deer, and many, many more.

Our community is focused on flexibility, creativity, and collaboration. That boils down to a few important features:

• There is no set activity requirement to write
  • The setting and plot are member-created and staff-supported
  • The game is continuously improved to increase fun and decrease stress

Learn more in our Rulebook!

P
pocket full of possies

Morning Drizzle/Rain
P
Medic
06-19-2022, 11:02 PM
Elke had many, many, cousins. She cared for each of them, even if she did not have a close relationship to them. A reserved and reclusive as she were, there was little she were close to. But she was a full grown adult now and needed to get up off her ass and insert herself as a good woman to her pack and good family to family.

Determined this morning, despite it being dreary and drip-dropping with rain, Elke carried a bundle of herbs within her jaws and a destination at play. She would seek out @Osiris and with the hopes to do right by him. After they had all seen creatures dancing in the sky it was no wonder he was having a bit of trouble sleeping...
the staff team luvs u
06-20-2022, 10:22 PM
This wasn't the first night that Osiris's sleep had been interrupted by horrifically vivid dreams. They were glimpses into his former life, recollecting his last memories before death, but he didn't put one and two together. What he knew was that these dreams were getting more violent with each passing night and that he needed help. Osiris called upon Elke early in the morning, after he had distanced himself from the den that he shared with @Leta, hoping she could help. 

Osiris sat in the rain, eagerly waiting for Elke to arrive, and stood once he saw her figure ascending the mountain towards him. He chuffed, hoping to grab her attention and let her know where he was/

the staff team luvs u
Medic
06-22-2022, 02:11 AM
Elke had not forgotten her life on Moonspear. Had not forgotten the life with her father previously and the many travels she and her sister had undertaken at such a very young age. She had woken into these strange new lands as well as she rest, cuddled into the side of her aunt @Hydra. ...But she had not forgotten.

Elke woofed out in reply to her cousin, mouth filled with various goodies for him. Her tail waved back and forth, brushing her hocks. Settling them down at his feet, she nosed him affectionately. He had been one in the first group Hydra had mentioned came to these lands after what had happened to them...

“I've brought you a number of things, cousin...” She spoke as she pawed over them. “Lavender: lay the flowers in the den, to breathe in but not eat. The leaves and stems you will eat for anxiety. Yarrow leaves and flowers you will eat too and it will help you sleep restfully. Poppy seeds, the same, but you will need to be careful not to eat too many.”

She lifts her head from the herbs, looking to Osiris with a deepened smile. Maybe it was a bit too much to start... For all the time she had spent learning of herbs, she hadn't many patients.
the staff team luvs u
06-24-2022, 02:07 PM
Osiris was impressed with the variety of herbs that Elke presented to him, and he nodded as she explained the benefits of each of them to him. 

"This is wonderful," he complimented, lifting his gaze to meet her eyes. "You've really stepped into your role, cousin. Lyra would be proud." Their aunt had been scarce and his cousin had picked up when there was a need. "Am I allowed to take them all together?" Or would it be overkill? Osiris wasn't familiar with medicine in general, but like anything else in life, he believed that everything needed to be taken or approached in moderation. Surely the dosage and use of these plants were similar?

the staff team luvs u
Medic
07-03-2022, 04:12 AM
Her cousin praised her and spoke of Lyra the same and with a thought that she would be proud. Elke's smile is bashful, her soft lilac eyes fluttering downwards as he looks to her.

“Thank you, cousin. I do appreciate your kind words...” She speaks delicately, her tail a slow wave down at her backside. Elke often felt her reclusive nature would show to others her lack of love and care for them. Elke knew now Osiris had not thought these things of her.

Elke did not exude the strength or sternness of a guard on their borders, nor the stealth or diaploacy of a scout. Often she felt she did not harbor the precision of a great hunter, either. Her life was a simple one, a quiet one and had taken great love in her garden and watching the children. Elke could only hope it was enough.

She shakes the raindrops from her head and speaks, “You may have the lavender with either, though I would not eat both the poppy and yarrow in the same night. Save the poppy for the worst of nights and still, just eat a few seeds.” She explained though did not question in turn, what her been plaguing her cousin's mind so.
the staff team luvs u
Misc Skill
07-03-2022, 02:55 PM
"You will continue to grow into your role—it'll be a matter of time before you'll be running about the mountain tending to my siblings." They were as rambunctious as he had been at their age; he and Lyra had spent a lot of time together due to the injuries he'd amassed. "Call for me if they're ever opposed to your care." He knew from experience how pride could get in the way of rational thoughts. He also knew that his cousin was meek, and would take some urging and experience to boost her confidence. Osiris would be there for her however he needed to be.

Elke went on to explain the proper dosage and combination of the medicine and he nodded; he'd have to relay this information to @Leta in case he forgot. 

The rain continued to fall, and Osiris felt the precipitation seeping into his undercoat. "Let's continue our conversation indoors," he said, standing and shaking out his coat. "I have a second den not too far from here," Only Leta knew its location; it was where he stored his treasures. "It's large enough for us to sit in it comfortably."

the staff team luvs u
07-13-2022, 02:12 AM
Elke laughs softly, as Osiris spoke of his young siblings and how Elke might find herself running about the lands, trying to capture them to cleam their wounds, pull a thorn out from a paw or help stifle a cold. Elke pictures it and could not help but laugh again. “I'm sure trying to keep up with them will require a bit of patience and persistence. I'll make sure to call for you if they give me any trouble.” A bit of a grin then is offered to her cousin and a further waving of her golden and white tail. Maybe one day, she'd be tending to his pups, too.

“Okay.” She then agreed, shaking out her pale coat in the same manner which he had and gathered up the herbs, ready when he was to lead the way.
the staff team luvs u
Misc Skill
07-18-2022, 12:39 PM
Osiris lead Elke to his hideaway. He climbed slowly—mindful of the slick ground underfoot—and checked over her shoulder every so often to ensure his cousin was doing alright. 

[Image: rocky-mountainside-with-small-cave-RK707N.jpg]

The den was small, unassuming, and perfect for storing and keeping his treasures safe. Although he had to army-crawl to get into the cavern, he could stand at full height once inside. The inside of the cave was lined with various skulls, gemstones, rocks, and feathers.  He used whatever natural shelving to showcase some of his more prized possessions and to keep the items out of reach of whoever might find his collection. Osiris turned towards the den's entrance, watching as his cousin arrived.

the staff team luvs u
Ecologist
08-08-2022, 07:11 PM
Elke was quite mindful of her footing, her cousin needed not fear. Before Empyrean's mountain and before Moonspear's, Elke had also lived with Sagtannet both within Nova Peak and of course the Sawtooth Spire. Those peaks appeared like rows of jagged teeth, reminding her of the mountain peaks here. Elke had lived within four mountains already and had learned to navigate them well even in her few years of life.

When they arrived, the young woman dipped down, easing her way into the small opening and then lifted once within, settling the herbs down. The den was nothing special as far as looks or location went but within it was lined with all manner of trinkets. “Quite the collection you have here.” She wondered if these objects had all been found in these mountains or if he had traveled elsewhere and found them. She made a note to one day add to it, perhaps with dried flowers or a nice pelt.

“Would you like to go to the cove sometime together? We can find some shells to add to it.” While Elke had been to the cove she had not quite gone down to the water. It had been a bit overwhelming but maybe she would find strength with Osiris at her side.
the staff team luvs u
Misc Skill
08-09-2022, 08:48 PM
"Thanks," he replied. "I've been collecting everything since we arrived here." There were trinkets from different biomes—a piece of ore and an iron ore from the tundra. Those were the unique items in his collection. 

Osiris's expression brightened when Elke suggested that they visit the cove together. "That'd be great," he said, "I haven't had much luck finding any eye-catching shells, so a second pair of eyes would be appreciated." He had visited the area recently with his younger brother, Raiden, but he hadn't had the time to look for anything for his collection. "We should go when it gets cold, so we don't overheat on the sand."

the staff team luvs u
Ecologist
08-23-2022, 03:07 AM (This post was last modified: 08-23-2022, 03:07 AM by Elke.)
Elke could see the brightness in her cousin's eyes when she mentioned going down to the coast to look for shells. He mentioned having not found anything yet and also that they should wait until it got colder so that they didn't get overheated.

“I've been to the cove, but never had gone down to the sands...” She admitted and with it, that she did not know how hot if was down there or how hot the sands could be on her footing. The cove was the closest thing to open ocean she had ever seen and still had remained at a distance even then.

“The cove... That's ocean water isn't it? I've never seen the open ocean before but I've heard the water is different- none drinkable?” It was strange to have such an abundance of water right there for fresh drinking but.... you couldn't???
the staff team luvs u
09-18-2022, 11:51 PM
"It is," Osiris confirmed. "It'll make you sick if you drink it." He had learned that the hard way. 

"The ocean goes on forever," he added, thinking of all of the times he'd searched the horizon for anything that might be just out of their reach. "I'm not sure if there's anything out there—and I don't know if we'll have a way of ever finding out." He had never been able to paddle too far from shore. The currents were constant and strong—at least they had been whenever he have been out—and he tired easily under their force.

the staff team luvs u
Ecologist
10-04-2022, 05:37 PM
“That sounds terribly scary.” She admits after her cousin goes on to explain how the water went on forever, with nothing out there that one could see. Bigger then any lake. Then any open plains or desert.

“But I have heard it's very beautiful...” Beautiful to look at but apparently quite dangerous but even then Elke had yet to know about waves and tide pools and sharks. Once, a shark had fallen from the sky in this home but she hadn't realized it was this. “I'm still excited to go.” She then decides. In the Fall.
the staff team luvs u
10-15-2022, 08:39 PM (This post was last modified: 10-15-2022, 08:39 PM by Osiris.)
Wanna wrap this one up?

Osiris nodded. ”It’s well worth it for the view,” he assured her, ”You’ll stay safe if you stick to the shore. Most of the danger is in the deeper water.” Hopefully that’d put her mind at ease.

”Come and find me when you’re ready, and I’ll join you.”

the staff team luvs u
11-02-2022, 05:28 PM
will do!

“Its a date, then. ”She spoke with a little grin, tail waving low behind her. “For now, takes these and get you some rest cousin.” She said this as she lowered her head, nosing the cluster of herbs closer to him. After a parting poke to his neck, Elke slipped off into the pitter-patter of rainfall once more.
the staff team luvs u
scroll to top