Welcome to Canis Major

a wolf and animal rpg (role-playing game)

Canis is a writing community for play-by-post (forum-based), freeform roleplay set in a fictional dream world in the intrusion fantasy genre. Most characters on Canis are wolves; many play elements are focused around wolves and canids, but the world makes room for a large variety of other animal characters such as dogs, horses, cats, bears, deer, and many, many more.

Our community is focused on flexibility, creativity, and collaboration. That boils down to a few important features:

• There is no set activity requirement to write
  • The setting and plot are member-created and staff-supported
  • The game is continuously improved to increase fun and decrease stress

Learn more in our Rulebook!

P
And I know you're out there in the shadows,

Morning Snow
P
Adventurer
06-06-2022, 10:17 PM (This post was last modified: 06-06-2022, 10:17 PM by Uriel.)
@Kuhn

As her feelings settled upon matters, Uriel grew a bit more confident to roam within areas she once feared. Though it wasn't as if the tundra scared her, she was more.. Exhausted by all that was within it, it felt like a series of misfortune came to be and wondered lightly if she was the bad luck of it. A small break of all that intimidated her, and a peace that didn't seem to come to even the plains. The storms came and the sky crashed..

At least over time, she stepped into so. It snowed lightly, the snowflakes brushing against her pelt as she wondered within. It strangely seemed rather empty, smells that once were around were absent? She knew a few individuals within the tundra, though wasn't sure if she was technically close to any of them — at the very least, there was some warmth after the whole walrus incident.

She roamed through this light sprinkle of frost, curious, on where everyone went.

the staff team luvs u
Hunter
06-09-2022, 06:20 AM
Over the crest of a small hill, the cat had caught something and was now in the tail end of disassembling the carcass.  Out in the open the birds circled waiting for the demon to finish his work.  Strewn about where fragments of bone, a leg here and a rib there.  Dried blood not only stained the ground, but also the underside of the cats chest and jaws.    

Hunched over a ribcage, the muscular definition of the big cat's back was clear in the afternoon sun. In the midst of his work, he could hear something approach from behind.  Turning his head to look over his shoulder, his face and lower portions of his mane where matted together with a fresher sanguine color.  Taking a moments break, his ears listened to the silence and watched to see what would cross over the hill.
the staff team luvs u
06-13-2022, 10:52 PM
Her nose twitched, the unsettling tint of metal was within the air as wind caught upon it and delivered. Though she wasn't too far from the supposed area of a victim ; but was not expecting to see the grand tiger hovering of so. Though he was different, and she furrowed her brows in a wonder and worry. Before her eyes was a grand beast absolutely coated in scars, scars that not but a simple brawl could happen and an unknown battle. Even at the distance she could see they were relatively healed ; as it happened long ago. But when she had seen him, Kuhn was fine.

"Hello," though she chuffed lightly, announcing her presence to the other as already she was open within the tundra wilderness.

the staff team luvs u
Hunter
06-15-2022, 06:53 PM (This post was last modified: 06-21-2022, 12:20 AM by Kuhn. Edited 1 time in total.)
Looking over his shoulder, still perched on his kill, a bloodstained smirk spread across his lips. She seemed so much more receptive of him this time.

Digging his claws into the carcass just a bit possessively. He eyed the wandering woman up and down, letting a moment hang between them.

"It's been awhile...", Hummed the cat, stabilizing himself on the kill.

"I haven't seen you since the hunt...", He added, a small shred of respect peeking though his tone.
the staff team luvs u
06-16-2022, 07:10 PM
She grimaced lightly seeing him tear into the carcass, taking a step back. It deeply disturbed her to think if the one beneath his paws happened to scream, to cry out in words so ; she couldn't stand the very thought of hunting anymore. Although, would never stop others from doing so, especially as most, if not all predators, have to eat, "uh, yeah.."

She gazed around before looking at some of his scars, and straying her gray gaze away once more, "are your.. Wounds alright?" Although she was not the best at medicine, Uriel had a bit of knowledge she was happy to give. Especially as he wasn't the villain she so thought he was.

the staff team luvs u
06-17-2022, 03:31 PM
Letting go of the carcass, he took a step off. "Just scars now... I think I'll live.", He jested, with a low rumble.

Turning himself around on all fours, the bloodstained cat turned to face the woman more appropriately. Standing between the wolf and the kill, his instinct told him not to share. Though, after what they had went through together, he felt an odd kinship to another member of that rescue party.

"Are you hungry?", asked the gore soaked cat, narrowing his brow.
the staff team luvs u
06-19-2022, 05:35 PM
She wanted to ask, for the time during his moments of the walrus were mot as severe and now she looks upon him with a wariness, not for him, but whoever attacked him. She dare not think there was more tigers within the tundra, and if there was.. Uriel could only hope they were not as beastly as she knows them so, and although Kuhn was bit, perhaps stoic as she could only think, the dame would prefer that over any predator anyday.

She shook her head, "I don't eat meat besides fish." The golden girl admitted. He can enjoy it all he wants, she didn't feel comfortable having any.

the staff team luvs u
Hunter
06-21-2022, 12:17 AM (This post was last modified: 06-21-2022, 12:21 AM by Kuhn. Edited 1 time in total.)
Shrugging, he wasn't going to tell her what to eat.  Besides, for right now he wouldn't have to share.   

There had always been a certain awkwardness between them.  She was quiet in an odd way, and always seemed to miss the mark in some way.  But, none the less,  the tiger did see the value in someone like this; who could gather and organize so many different creatures from across the tundra. 

Though, he understood silent people, useful words where always in short supply.  He decided that he would likely have to put in the effort to carry the conversation.  "So, what have you been doing, ever since we killed that walrus?", he asked, turning back around to re-take his position on the carcass.  This time facing her, with a perked ear.
the staff team luvs u
07-01-2022, 11:00 PM
"Uhmm," Uriel tried to think, there wasn't really anything in particular that had happened since then, "nothing in particular. I been staying mostly within the plains." Her nose gestured to the east of them, where it so lives. It was pretty close to the tundra, and even some part of the plains grew cold by it's winds. Particularly the Golden Glade was at it's edge, but nothing in particular was around.

"You seem to have been busy, are you alright?" Although he mentioned his wounds were fine, she asked about him in particular. Although Kuhn was scary in form, she dubbed he wasn't a bad guy, just.. They were awkward together. She feared anything bigger and stronger then herself and it was hard to deter her primal instincts away from that. She was still sitting at a fine distance, to calm her own anxiety.

the staff team luvs u
07-06-2022, 06:31 AM (This post was last modified: 07-06-2022, 07:06 AM by Kuhn. Edited 2 times in total.)
The big cat's attention was on the woman, opting to wait to returning to his meal.  Using the back of his wrist he wiped away a thicker streak of red from his chin.  "The plains... I have actually never been there.", he replied, voice calm.  Looking east with the woman, momentarily, he wondered what the plains was like, one day maybe he would have to hunt the lands beyond the eastern mountains.  

Subtly cocking his head back, the nature of her question obviously caught the striped beast off guard.  Not many people really ever asked him that question.  Most usually probably just assumed that he was alright, perhaps fooled by a harsh or confident exterior.  

Once again kneading his claws into the skin of the carcass, his tail lashed in discomfort.  "I have been managing...", he said with a sigh.  There was a good handful of things on his mind.  Looing out at a formation of clouds,  "I'm just not sure what i'm supposed to do now..."

Turning back to the woman, his face though covered in blood and gore, had picked up a warm expression.  Just having someone ask was refreshing.
the staff team luvs u
Counsellor
07-08-2022, 03:18 AM
She followed his gaze and too looked at the plains, "they're nice," Uriel said, speaking up, "very open.. Lots of bison and horses." Perhaps for a predator as large as him would enjoy such a way. Bison were far trickier then caribou, and she wondered if they rivaled a walrus, in some way? Would he able to do that? Although as curious as it may be, Uriel most likely wouldn't stay around to watch. Hearing the cry of one, is.. Is something she couldn't find herself near anymore.

Although it seemed despite his stoic appearance, even he has issues, "I uhm, can be an ear to listen to?" maybe. She wasn't maybe the best at solutions, or even attempting to help ; but the golden dame had ears. She could listen, and sympathize with such a giant. Something had happened anyway, the scabs and scars proved so, but she did notice.. The scent of the everfrost was not on him anymore.

the staff team luvs u
07-08-2022, 06:12 AM
"One day, I might have to see for myself", he breathed softly imagining what a horse or a bison could be, a change of scenery could be nice.  It was odd that the meekness of the woman seemed to soothe the big cat, relaxing himself further.  Taking a moment to look down a his meal he opted to not interrupt this conversation even for a moment for another bite.  

His warm expression cracked into a gentle smile.  Her offer obviously touched him in a way.  "I don't want to load anything on your shoulders really...", he continued, with eyes betraying his appreciation.  It's not that he didn't want to talk, but he seemed to almost be asking for permission.  Everyone seemed to have enough problems, why would she want to take on another.  "Its just the usual things I suppose..." 
the staff team luvs u
Counsellor
07-12-2022, 02:49 AM
"I don't mind." She especially, knew how well it felt to simply vent to another. Even more-so with them being mostly strangers, anything he was worried of feared of had a less likely chance to be spread. Not that she was a rumor starter ; wolves weren't one's to diverge in such gossip when laws of the human world didn't apply for them. Especially when it came to loners who barely had anyone to speak to.

Uriel just understood the need to.

the staff team luvs u
07-12-2022, 06:40 AM
"It probably sounds stupid, but maybe I just don't know what do do with myself now.", he sighed, rubbing the side of his cheek with the back of his wrist. 

"You know, for awhile there I was probably happy just holding a territory and hunting... But, now I owe so many people so much.  For awhile there... it was easy, all I wanted was some justice for what happened to me.  All I could think about was getting even.", he continued, looking at his own paw slowly extending and retracting his claws, his face rather bittersweet as he watched, recounting every night he lost sleep; thinking of disassembling @Reiko, @Ira.

"Now I know there is more important things. Though, now I feel like i'm at a loss for purpose I guess... A loss for a home?"   The cats tail thrashed in discomfort, and his gaze retuned to the woman looking a worried about sharing this.

As if to try and reel it all back in, the cat quickly blurted, "I'm sorry, none of this probably makes any sense." 
the staff team luvs u
Counsellor
07-17-2022, 06:59 PM
"Is justice worth the sacrifice to get to it?" Gathering her words together, Uriel pieced together gingerly ; a man full of wounds that could not be simple as another. She had thought that perhaps it was another tiger, but the marks and slashes did not indicate the same claw he held, as a gray gaze wandered to it, and back toward the stripped man. And a loss for a home.. An attack by wolves who surely felt threatened by him ; is what she would estimate — especially as she could understand that reasoning. Uriel too was quite afraid of him for some time, especially as he had accidentally attacked her so and she meakly ran away. But as she talked to him more, a realization was that their species were so different, that an awkwardness settled. What was normal to one, was not to another.

"I can relate," her paws grasped the snow and she looked down, "I'm.. Afraid to lose my home. Afraid to be told to move, or a pack tries to claim. A loss for a home, that I want and desperate to have." Ironically enough, the small tidbit that @Valmúa gave was enough to plant a seed of doubt for a home. She and another attempted to stay within the Everfrost, but was told it was home to another, particulary Kuhn's home ; and slowly she realized how in-depth the land was and how many claimed to it's realm. Uriel was afraid to be told to move.

"Home isn't a place, it's the people who make it. Although I cannot remember who told me that.. You have those who care for ; those who can make a new place and surely have a land elsewhere. Do you feel so strongly to that home, you would leave those behind?"

Although she could relate ; Kuhn was the opposite.

Uriel didn't think she had any to call 'friends,' or anyone who would care for her enough. She was desperate to cling to something that could make that.

the staff team luvs u
07-18-2022, 01:03 AM (This post was last modified: 07-18-2022, 01:07 AM by Kuhn. Edited 6 times in total.)
"No, its not...", he replied through bloody lips, letting the statement hang. "They made me do something I never wanted to do.  But, the scales are tilted in my favor.  So the burden of forgiveness is on me." , looking up to the sky, the tale of Yness and Vendrussl danced through his mind, making his own issue seem small. 

"There was a time when I wanted to find them, I told myself that I would pick them off at night one by one. I savored the idea"

His eyes drifted down to the mutilated carcass below him, "And... your right, it was the people that I... care - for.  Just having them around made the idea of vengeance so much less appealing. They are worth so much more."

Laying behind his meal, the tiger draped his paws over the carcass, getting comfortable.  "So you have been kicked out from somewhere before?" Though his ears where slack in relaxation, he to looked ready to listen, though they had fought together, he hardly knew anything about her.
the staff team luvs u
Counsellor
07-26-2022, 02:26 AM
"I don't know what you went through.. But I don't know if I would have the heart to move on either. But I couldn't forgive myself if it was that big that others would be wrapped into my problems." Vengeance was scary idea, especially thinking of anyone whose enemy was a tiger was even more fearsome, and she couldn't help but wonder who was bold enough with this idea, or was there another truth to it she did not know of? She knew there was two sides to every story ; and that the tiger before her was a man prone to misunderstandings.. But something caught up, and caused what he was now.

Though it was true, even if strangers were involved, Uriel didn't think she had the heart to involve others, if a sacrifice was needed. It was another reason they didn't fight for moving, because there was too much to lose if it was the truth.

"It is nice you have friends you care more for," she smiled, envy and jealousy within her bitter heart. She knew these feelings weren't good, but couldn't help it due to the desire she held for companionship, but was afraid to get close to others. Putting herself in this situation, and remembering of @Satan.. All she could do was keep herself closed.

"I, and alongside others attempted to make a home within those forests," her neck craned to the everfrost, "but we were told it was claimed by a lord and found another home.. Although they all disappeared, and now I live alone, waiting the day someone will claim it and I will have to leave."

the staff team luvs u
07-26-2022, 05:56 PM (This post was last modified: 07-26-2022, 05:56 PM by Kuhn. Edited 1 time in total.)
Laying comfortably, he listened to the aloof woman's story, trying to figure out what sort she was. The cat's eyes narrowed momentarily when the golden woman insinuated that he had drug others into his problems. His nose wrinkled slightly as the thought settled. What could she know.

"Ya, it is...", snapped the cat. Grateful for his friends, but obviously a bit upset from the woman's assertion.

Pausing for a moment with a slightly up curled lip, he looked out to the direction of the Everfrost. "Did a red wolf tell you that...", the big cat asked sternly, with a barely audible growl. This story sounded like @Valmúa 's doing, there was awhile there where she was very fond of calling him: Lord.
the staff team luvs u
08-01-2022, 04:06 AM
When he snapped she couldn't help but flinch and start to stir lightly within her spot. Her paws digging into the snow, and eyes looking down ; not understanding what she said was wrong. Uriel didn't know, but she didn't mean to infer he was dragging others in, but more how fate led to others wanting to help him so, and she too would feel awful if someone close to her, wrapped into so. Jealousy, was key in the words she had spoken, but with a good heart into it.

Not able to look him in the face, Uriel meekly nodded, an ear twitching lightly.. He knew of the red wolf?

the staff team luvs u
08-02-2022, 05:06 AM
"Shit...", he uttered under his breath when the woman's nod confirmed his suspicion.  It seemed that @Valmúa had been hard at work doing wolf things, locking down the Everfrost when he wasn't around.  

Claws kneaded into the carcass below, venting his frustration.   Noting the woman's new unease with his temper, the cat offered an: "I'm sorry...", apologizing for both his demeanor and her inconvenience in the Everfrost.  Taking care to soften himself, took a moment to look away.    

Back in the day, he wouldn't have minded having her live nearby.  The land was safe and prey was good.
the staff team luvs u
08-10-2022, 05:31 PM
She wasn't sure why he was upset, and did not connect the dots that he was the Lord, as well as knowing who she was referring to. Rather Uriel remained uncomfortable, feeling she said something that went too far and incurred a mild wrath, "It's okay.." but she wasn't sure what he was apologizing in particular, feeling it wasn't for his attitude, but didn't understand why if it was for the Everfrost.

"I gotta go back, uhm.. Be well." Would the golden girl awkwardly say to excuse herself from this more tense situation, feeling her heart beat wildly in uncomfort and a mild fear. No matter how kind he seemed at times, misunderstood she knew, instincts always seemed to kick in. Any mild changes in his temper, was always a flight responds.

the staff team luvs u
08-10-2022, 10:36 PM
Frustration wasn't aimed at the golden woman, but rather his distant princessa. She had kept secrets from him, claiming both him and the Everfrost in secret. As his temper flared for a moment, it was clear the it made the golden woman uncomfortable despite, trying to soften himself to her.

The feline was very well attuned to the response of fear, and the woman before him usually exuded it. Uriel looked like she wanted to leave, she smelled scared again.

Tension built up in the back of the cat's large neck watching the woman's movements. He half wanted to chase the woman now, thrash her around . If she was going to be scared, maybe she should have a reason.

Insulted again, he pushed his more destructive thoughts to the side. Even after all this time, she didn't trust him. "Do we have a problem?", He growled with a wrinkled nose. His shoulder tensed as he dug a set of claws into the skull of the kill below him.

Now his anger was aimed at her. If he didn't place any value in the woman, than he wouldn't have cared about her unease. Where they stood with eachother was uncertain, the cat wanted to know.
the staff team luvs u
08-15-2022, 03:09 AM
She could feel cold sweat drip to her paws and her heart thumped wildly. She couldn't even look at the cat who growled, words that felt of strife come to and what seemed to be aggression. Thoughts went back to when he accidentally attacked her, and though aimed for a rabbit, she wounded up near-neck into death itself. It was built into her muscles to fear that which could kill her ; and naturally always felt wary of strangers who didn't offer kindness at first look.

She cowered down, her ears slicked back and could only think 'please don't kill me,' while uttering, "n-no," in a very, soft stutter.

the staff team luvs u
08-17-2022, 07:08 AM (This post was last modified: 08-17-2022, 07:10 AM by Kuhn. Edited 2 times in total.)
The mild look of anger on wrinkled face of the cat, slowly began to soften into a grimace of disgust.  Reeking of fear the woman's scent prodded at the cat's senses. Looking down at the woman, she looked like prey.  Obviously, he was nothing to her. So, she should be nothing to him.  

Though he knew better, every fiber of instinct tingling in the back of his mind tempted him to toy with the helpless creature. Abandoning the hope that they could ever get along, the big cat prowled forward off his kill.  With his body low and tense, the tiger began to circle the cowering wolf, looking her over from all sides.  Every step closer, spiraling inward.  

"You could always run Uriel...", he taunted with a rumble that was meant to be both threaten and mock her cowardice.   It was meant to be vague, even he didn't know if he would chase her.  It was one last chance for her to face her fear.
the staff team luvs u
08-20-2022, 04:05 AM
Uriel ran. She didn't dare look back with slow tears forming on her face, but held back enough they didn't drip ; even through her running small sobbing could be heard within fear of thinking she would die or not, but only strove on. Often the golden dame lacked self-esteem, but she knew her energy was often excruciated to run and prayed to whatever God had brought her here, she could at least outrun him.

But on this day..

Uriel vowed she would never step into the tundra again.

the staff team luvs u
scroll to top