Welcome to Canis Major

a wolf and animal rpg (role-playing game)

Canis is a writing community for play-by-post (forum-based), freeform roleplay set in a fictional dream world in the intrusion fantasy genre. Most characters on Canis are wolves; many play elements are focused around wolves and canids, but the world makes room for a large variety of other animal characters such as dogs, horses, cats, bears, deer, and many, many more.

Our community is focused on flexibility, creativity, and collaboration. That boils down to a few important features:

• There is no set activity requirement to write
  • The setting and plot are member-created and staff-supported
  • The game is continuously improved to increase fun and decrease stress

Learn more in our Rulebook!

Group Only
I'm that bad type,

Afternoon
Group Only
Elkshire
Adventurer
06-03-2022, 10:34 PM (This post was last modified: 06-03-2022, 10:34 PM by Célnes.)
@Warwick had mentioned he knew where his siblings were most likely at. The Nightwalkers. Maybe it shouldn't be so surprising some were curious enough to go meet their donor, she never discouraged their roots, nor' did she encourage. Whether they named him father or not was not up to her, for the fine line she had nobody to fill into that role for them. But it couldn't be denied she was saddened to think they would leave without a word, and wondered whether.. She didn't train them enough to be loyal to herself. She knew not why they would question her if so, or whether they were simply kidnapped by the man himself.

But she doubted. Would he really sink their alliance for kin? When the man himself cared so little to everything that lives? He seemed to care not to be involved with her young, and wondered whether choosing him as the father helped in anyway with their alliance — even if it didn't, she was still blessed by her young. Though.. that didn't explain where her other child was, the Gray Earl, the only one within the litter that was neither white, or brown. The Queen had no idea he had been lurking around, she the entire time she was stuck within the den and couldn't pick up his scent.

It was a wonder if he was alright — the boy was always pessimistic, wouldn't even leave the den when she tried to make time for him. It couldn't be denied she didn't really pay attention to him ; for his denial to move forward and shut out the world around him, had her react the same. Even in truth — his color was secretly a favorite to her.

She already informed everyone to search, and for the Princely Heir to form a search party if he so saw fit ; but the efforts were fruitless. None reported so far.. Except, she vaguely smelled something amiss.

There was a none Elkshirian roaming within, though the smell was gradually blending it, it was not one she knew off.. Yet, was so familiar that Celnes had to double check the smell to make absolutely sure. A glee was spreading to her heart, if such assumptions were right as she followed this very trial to what hopefully, would lead to the very same figure she was hoping it to be.

"@Edith?"

the staff team luvs u
Adventurer
06-06-2022, 08:59 PM
Edith had been purposefully meandering for most of the morning. She had found herself reconnecting with The High Elk since returning to Elkshire—their communication had been sparse in Blackwood Reach—and she sought a secluded spot to speak to him directly. She traveled down familiar and unfamiliar paths and felt genuine surprise when she came across an area she had not explored. 

"How did I miss this before?" Edith thought to herself repetitively that day before moving on. She'd searched most of the Elk's Crown with little to no luck; there hadn't been any places that felt quite "right" and sacred to her. Yet, despite this, she trekked on, determined to speak to Him today. 

"Edith?" Célnes called. 

She halted—heart pounding and throat drying—and glanced over her shoulder. Edith hadn't expected to run into her mother (especially since she'd been actively avoiding her) and wasn't sure what to do now that they'd been reunited. 

Her emotions tugged at her uncomfortably, wrestling in the pit of her stomach as she turned to face the Queen. Edith would always hold a special place for her mother, and despite all of her contradictions, she still loved her deeply. 

"Mom," she answered, holding her ground. Needing an outlet for her anxiety, Edith lifted her forepaw to her ear and scratched. 

"It's ... been a while."

the staff team luvs u
06-06-2022, 09:38 PM
"My dear daughter," Even if the other seemed a bit awkward, and slightly different — Celnes approached, with every attention to drap her head over the head within an affectionate pull of a hug, if Edith let her. She missed her daughter — they all held a special place in her heart but there was no denial at some moments she thought of others compared to most, and for the Queen, Edith was one of them. Her beautiful girl draped in browns, an eye of mahogany like a darkened version of her own, "We've missed you," an indication that her other siblings as well, had asked though.

She smelled lightly musty, the similar tang of what she knew well off, though weakened highly by her time within Elkshire. How long had she been in the forest, and yet never visited her own mother? In such a reunion she even ignored the moment of lapse of being referred to as 'mom,' for Celnes only cared whether her daughter was returning or..

Visiting.

"Warwick mentioned were you may have been.. Alongside with Calhoun — but Aldritch as well is missing.. Is this true?"

the staff team luvs u
06-07-2022, 07:50 PM (This post was last modified: 06-07-2022, 07:51 PM by Edith. Edited 2 times in total.)
Tags for reference!

Edith surrendered to Célnes's embrace. She was her mother, after all. Unlike the Queen, who spoke and remarked on how they'd missed the princess, she nuzzled deeper and breathed deeply. There was something off about her mother's scent, and quickly she put one and two together to decide that she smelled like milk. @Morag had been pregnant when Edith and @Calhoun had left; Blackwood Reach held the milk's odor in the missed. She pulled away, looking at her mother confusedly. 

"Yeah," she answered, "Calhoun found me." 

"I left because Father almost killed me," she revealed next. "I realized that I couldn't defend myself and needed him to train me."

"I didn't realize until then how easy life was in Elkshire." This wasn't intended to come across as good or bad—it simply was how things were. 

the staff team luvs u
06-09-2022, 09:18 PM (This post was last modified: 06-09-2022, 09:18 PM by Célnes.)
Celnes raised a brow as her daughter went on, mentioning of Vengeance nearly killing her so — but she doubted lightly. Would a man risk such an alliance for a pup he barely wants to claim? He didn't care one way or another and she was thankful for that, but her young seemed keen on calling him some-sort of parental name. Perhaps a little bit of jealousy that did now show ; the Queen more liked when she held the single parental title.

She hummed lightly, for that was the truth. Made it easy for them to survive, barely anymore hardships and the safety net of powerful alliances — there wasn't much going on around. She tried though to teach her young to be careful of this devils who whisper sweet things, forgetting some of the true devils were right next store.

"Are you returning home?" was the most important question — was Celnes betrayed?

the staff team luvs u
06-16-2022, 11:08 PM
Edith scoffed at Célnes's lack of concern. "Are you going to really ignore me like that?" she shot back with some hurt in her voice, "He tried to kill me—and he could have easily done so but he let me go." Why did nobody believe her? What hurt especially was that the disbelief came from those she loved the most. 

Her ears fell back and she looked at the ground. "Do you ... not care about me anymore?" she asked, feeling her next thought come up like word-vomit, "When it's so obvious you have new kids to attend to?" Edith was assuming so; the smell of milk on her mother was undeniable.

the staff team luvs u
06-17-2022, 12:01 AM
She looked at her daughter, quiet, for a moment, "I had thought you were ignoring me," her eyes drifted away to the forest, "I looked for you. I sent others to search for you, to only find out from Warwick of possibly of where you were." Looked at Edith, with a saddened look. How heartbroken to hear to think her son and daughter betrayed her, on going elsewhere without even saying anything. She did not know that he had wisked her away, but what could be done? The hurt to think that her own blood she raised so carefully, left, "we had thought you left, to join Nightwalkers."

"I have cared for you since the day you are born — more then any mistakes that i've committed. That is why, I want you and Calhoun to come home." She stepped closer, wanting to envelop her daughter in a hug so and desire her back in the cradling of how she was a child ; but she wasn't a child anymore. Grown with her own opinions and packs itself, and the control the Queen had lessened greatly.

But she didn't know whether her daughter would accept her anymore. She seemed angry, angry at her.

the staff team luvs u
06-17-2022, 12:14 AM
Edith hadn't anticipated the sadness that seeped into Célnes's expression, and she frowned as she listened. "No," she replied, unsure how to feel. "I could never stay away—@Calhoun either." It was never their intention to stay at the Nightwalkers forever. They only needed time to train with Vengenace. "This is our home," she dared a step forward, trying to catch the Queen's eye. "Plus—it literally stinks there. I don't know how I got used to it quickly." She shrugged and remembered something else: "They also eat elk there and make fun of me for following Him." Why was she staying there? Especially when she was an apex figure within Elkshire. 

When Célnes stepped forward, Edith nodded and allowed her mother to cradle her. "Will I still be able to train with the Nightwalkers?" she asked, looking up to the underside of the Queen's chin, "I would like to continue my lessons—but I think that sleeping and living here would be better."

the staff team luvs u
06-23-2022, 10:29 PM
She chuckled lightly at the mild insults given. Never personally visiting the reach, she knew not of their smells ; although just in general there was something about it that was rather foul, "Those who do not follow our ways would never understand, even those we call allies." She would never expect allies or any future ones to know of their ways or even follow ; to achieve power and so it was the only way. To only live in a harmony of those who were so different.. Her children, although she tried to raise so, were a bit too luster within the High Elk's ways.

Groomed her daughter lightly, cooing like the caring mother she was, "If they allow so." By previous conversation Vengeance seemed relatively alright with having a paw within whatever was so, and any harsh training that was brought forward. She was internally amused of the complaints of Remus's training, and yet diverged to somewhere much darker and tougher..

As long as they returned.

"Welcome back, Edith."

the staff team luvs u
06-23-2022, 10:51 PM (This post was last modified: 06-23-2022, 10:55 PM by Edith. Edited 1 time in total.)
Edith smiled; she liked getting what she wanted. "I'm sure they will," she replied, "Vengenace said that me and Calhoun could come and go as we pleased." Edith didn't see why that'd change if she lived in Elkshire. 

She smiled up at Célnes then, lulled by the grooming. "Thanks, Mother," what she said was genuine, "It's nice to be here." It was nice to be missed and wanted—nice to feel welcomed. She hadn't felt this way in awhile.

the staff team luvs u
06-27-2022, 07:57 PM
At least no issues then, she would dread to think if the actions of her children risked a headache of battles and negotiations. Although the donor seemed alright with it, for the meanwhile the anger of some would be settled. But in an honesty the Queen wished they not leave period ; but she could not provide such battle prowess as others have. There was a few males in the mix, and even a deer, but it seemed no matter her children would rather be taught the more brutal way.

And the consequence of so, would be a rather harsh treatment. Celnes only wanted them to return home, to comfort from that and doctrine to even more loyalty for herself. So now settled so, and welcoming her daughter home.. She could only hope to persuade @Calhoun as well. And so she hugged her daughter tightly, until it was time to re-attend to the borders.

the staff team luvs u
Paladin
06-28-2022, 03:41 PM
Their embrace was short-lived, and then they went together to patrol for a while. The borders were quiet—something that would take some time to re-adjust to—and once they were done, Edith parted ways with her mother to find her brothers.

the staff team luvs u
scroll to top