Welcome to Canis Major

a wolf and animal rpg (role-playing game)

Canis is a writing community for play-by-post (forum-based), freeform roleplay set in a fictional dream world in the intrusion fantasy genre. Most characters on Canis are wolves; many play elements are focused around wolves and canids, but the world makes room for a large variety of other animal characters such as dogs, horses, cats, bears, deer, and many, many more.

Our community is focused on flexibility, creativity, and collaboration. That boils down to a few important features:

• There is no set activity requirement to write
  • The setting and plot are member-created and staff-supported
  • The game is continuously improved to increase fun and decrease stress

Learn more in our Rulebook!

P
Across the water

Morning Sunny/Clear
P
Adventurer
Discovery
06-02-2022, 10:18 PM (This post was last modified: 06-11-2022, 12:05 AM by Galatea. Edited 1 time in total. Edit Reason: Forgot to add proper tags )

In one way or another, Galatea found herself atop cliffs that overlooked the sea. The water was a deep cerulean, with foamy white waves periodically crashing against the shore. The idea of falling into the water terrified her, and yet it was so captivating that she wanted to get a closer look.

She found a slope and clumsily made her way down onto the beach, where the sand felt pleasantly warm under her paws. She sat down a good distance away from the shore, not wanting to risk being pulled in by the waves.

Spotting a small crab, she observed as it crawled along the shoreline. She'd never had it before and wondered what it tasted like. But knowing her luck, she'd fail at catching it and get pinched on the nose.
the staff team luvs u
[Image: GALA.png?width=1025&height=218]
Hunter
Discovery
06-05-2022, 09:56 PM
Unknowingly to her, someone was within the area. Vendrussel was hunting for the hidden cache of Dragonford, due to how well the land was within it's prey. She didn't claim it though, far too much trouble and not enough warriors to even attempt — but at the very least enjoyed visiting. She'd suspect if someone were to claim it one day, whether she'd be like how Northfall treated her ford, or would they be within a peace? But, at the moment, none seemed to find it interesting enough to make such a claim. Maybe the forest hid the beach too well.

She swam into the ocean, an eye to a school of fish that was distanced away. She had dived into it's very depths from a boulder, lunging straight into the pod without a moments hesitation. The salt burned upon her eyes but she could not look away from the price. Her jaw opened in the midst of the waters, inhaling out to keep the water at bay until — the direct fish was within her mouth. As she was deep into the water it had taken some moments to gather herself from not only the flailing fish, but find herself to it's surface.

It moved aggressively, and she only bit harder as her paws moved wildly — around the same time a certain golden wolf entered the beach itself. Finally, would be breach the surface, with the fish dead in her maw! And carefully, padding back to the shores. Onto the sand she was — but before her, was someone else.

"Hmello," she said, mouth full of fish.

the staff team luvs u
06-07-2022, 10:16 PM
Galatea's thoughts were interrupted when she saw a dark shape moving beneath the waves, making her tilt her head and take a step back. It broke through the water's surface, and she at first mistook the stranger for a sea creature. But no, it was a wolf!

She had a striking coat of brilliant bluish-grey and silver, with eyes as blue as the sea itself, and she looked to be right at home on the beach. As the wolf came onto the shore, the crisp scent of ice and seawater began to fill her nostrils.

The woman held back a giggle when the stranger greeted her, with her voice slightly muffled by the fish in her mouth. "Hello there! Beautiful weather today, isn't it?"
the staff team luvs u
06-08-2022, 03:02 AM
A fairy! Was her original thought, they were soft to the look, someone that made her think like they were floating on land itself but was overall, in smell and appearance, like any other wolf. Though glazed in cold, a pretty one among the coast, colors that were rather unusual to see around these parts she thought. Though their patterns, was also an eyecatcher. As they too beamed, she followed with a smile as Vendrussel dropped her fish upon the ground.

"You are quite right! It's a wonderful day to fish. The seas are calm." Still within a drip, her fur hung tightly against her sides but she made no effort to shake it off yet ; momentarily thinking about returning to it's depths for another dive and a meal.. An eye toward how well the waves were, and the calmness that was delivering through each soft brush that came to the sands.

the staff team luvs u
06-08-2022, 06:42 PM
Galatea stared at the dead fish on the ground in curiosity. Did they really taste so good that someone would go through that kind of effort to get them?

She gazed back up at the stranger with a smile, her golden tail swaying behind her. "Do you like fishing? You seem to be very good at it." She looked out towards the ocean. "I don't know if it's something for me though...I'm not very good with water." 
the staff team luvs u
06-09-2022, 05:30 AM
Vendrussel calmly looked at her, and noticed her gaze upon her fish ; but they didn't seem like someone that needed a meal or would attempt so. She was calm about it, smiling idly as they looked overall nice and held a tone of so, "I do! I live near the sea, I couldn't survive without knowing how to." and thus laughed lightly in a light rejoice.

"Oh?" she had not heard many that claim to be afraid of the sea. Vendrussel gazed at the others wet paws, they could touch the ocean but not enter? Sometimes the abyss was scary, and it was true though there was dangerous depths. One had to be extra careful about it, "any reason in particular?"

the staff team luvs u
06-09-2022, 06:47 PM
The woman nervously averted her gaze and glanced down at her paws soaked in salt water. Waves gently glided over them and receded like a foamy blanket. "It's so scary..." she admitted. "I fear that if I'm too careless, I'll get pulled in." 

Sometimes the water appeared to be beautiful and calm, but looks could be deceiving. If you get pulled in, there's a chance you won't come back. The water consumes you, and it will continue to do so until you can't think or move. Until no one could hear your pleas for help. Until your soul became one with the depths.

But, she wouldn't dare say that to anyone. They would think she'd gone mad.
the staff team luvs u
06-09-2022, 10:35 PM
Vendrussel nodded in an understanding, she knew more then most how fearful it could be. Rembeodes, strength of the sea, often brought those downwards to his very depth into a death of unknown. The waves were strong, they were vengeful if not respected, and easily one can be overconfident by riding them, "You just need to read the signs to know when it's safe or not."

Her paw pointed to the very shores they stood, "you see how slow and low it coming? The currents are relatively safe to swim. But if you see them coming in too fast, and bringing too much toward the beach, then the currents can drag you away if you venture a bit further."

the staff team luvs u
06-09-2022, 11:56 PM
Just read the signs, she said. Galatea nodded after taking all of it in. The wolf seemed to have plenty of experience, so she took her words seriously. With uncertainty, she took a step further into the water, making sure to watch the waves. Just pay attention and don't panic.

Once the waves reached further up her legs, they began to gently pull at her. Her heart leapt in her chest and she quickly backed up onto the dry sand. She whimpered and her ears folded back in embarrassment. "S-sorry...I panicked."
the staff team luvs u
06-10-2022, 05:24 AM
"That's alright. Even trying is a great courage." Vendrussel praised her lightly ; for overcoming fears was not an easy feat. She understood well the wariness that came with the ocean, and it wasn't a quick journey to overcome such ways. Her own paws led further into the ocean, now ankle-deep within as she smiled to the fairy wolf.

"If you call, i'll help you. You won't be lost." Confident within her words and even her smile, the dragoness was a well-suited swimmer even to the more rapid situations. Currents were difficult, but she knew well to ride with them if it was right. Sometimes though, she wouldn't admit to the other, she would be stuck for a long while if sucked by the rapid ones. That was why she had to be especially careful to read the waves ; for she had been in those moments.

"I am Vendrussel, of the ford. I live by the sea further north."

the staff team luvs u
06-10-2022, 11:34 PM
"Thank you." She bowed her head in gratitude. On shaky legs she stepped toward the waves once more until they were paw-deep, but decided not to tread any further. "I'll make sure to take your advice to heart."

She truly meant it. Ever since waking up in this place, her life felt full of various uncertainties. But, as she slowly began to explore further beyond, she learned that not everything is as scary as she thought. Sure, it's mostly been baby steps so far, but it's still something. Smaller things can lead to bigger things. Maybe one day, she'd be able to navigate through water with no issue at all.

As she looked at the woman fearlessly standing within the blue, she could feel the kind yet strong aura that radiated from her. The sunlight that sparkled upon her wet fur made made her seem like a benevolent guardian of the sea.

Vendrussel. She'd never heard a name like that, and yet it fit her so well. "I'm Galatea, but you may call me Gala if you'd like." she looked towards the sea with a sad smile. "I don't really have a home. Not yet, at least."
the staff team luvs u
06-13-2022, 03:02 AM (This post was last modified: 06-13-2022, 03:03 AM by Vendrussel. Edited 1 time in total.)
They were like a fairy, so soft and nice. The energy radiated back to Vendrussel, she felt warmth and kind ; something that was relatively difficult to feel with tensions roaming at times. It felt nice to simply be at peace, and often she did try to throw these thoughts back to her head, but they always resurfaced with 'what ifs.'

But though she couldn't help some, she can try to help others. Maybe one day the wolf dubbed Gala, would be able to proudly swim in the water, "I would love to welcome you to my home," she said, "but unfortunately that would mean crossing water." The other looked as if she wanted one, but as much as the dragoness would want to give her one, it was unfortunate timing. The home within the isle, and not only do they usually have to swim toward it, there was the trial of diving.

She couldn't even step further in, would she be able to dive?

"Fortunately I know a few I can direct you to."

the staff team luvs u
06-13-2022, 06:45 PM
Gala's stomach nearly dropped at the possibility of having to swim. In her current state, she definitely wasn't prepared for that whatsoever. "Ah, t-that's too bad.." She let out a nervous chuckle.

She perked up in interest upon hearing Vendrussel's offer. "Really?" 

While she did enjoy roaming around and seeing new things, it could get tiring after a while. It would be wonderful to have a place she could come back to and settle down in whenever she pleased.
the staff team luvs u
06-15-2022, 04:45 PM
"Like any pack, it comes with troubles. My own, Dragonford, is not without their enemies." She laid it open, for the other was was too nice not to be toyed in and brought in the midst of battle if she did not. There was always the risk, if she would ever claim their name and event scent itself. Though every pack usually had some sort of history to it of war, although she didn't know if any would say they were in the middle of one like her own. Her smile was a bit tense, an indication they were still within that trouble.

"But you are always welcome, and I would help you learn to swim when you feel ready. Further north, beyond here is a beach full of fog. Call for me if you find yourself there." A home, to any desiring especially as the other perked up to such a thought. That is what she wants Dragonford to be, a home to any that so desire ; a further their life itself into companionship and loyalty among each other.

Vendrussel awaits the day of peace. Although wonders when, and if, that would ever occur.

the staff team luvs u
06-19-2022, 07:56 PM
"Oh dear...that sounds very tough to deal with." Galatea's ears folded back and she looked down. "I'm not sure if being part of a pack is something I could do. I'm afraid that I would just be a burden and slow everyone down." If she was thrown into the midst of a war, what would she even do? She wasn't at all confident in her ability to defend herself, and she didn't know anything about healing wounds. Someone could easily snuff out her life if she let her guard down for even a second.

She tried not to let it get to her. "But thank you very much. Because of you, I got to learn something new! I'll make sure to come back again sometime." She gave Vendrussel a bright smile with her tail gently swaying behind her.

The woman sat back down on the warm sand, briefly gazing towards the horizon. "Is it alright if I rest here for a while longer? I like it here."
the staff team luvs u
07-01-2022, 08:14 PM
Vendrussel shook her head, "the point of a pack is to rely on each other. No one is a burden." Although she grew up as warriors who even tossed away those deemed weak, Vendrussel didn't have that heart. If she someone someone abandoned or in need, she felt a compassion to bring them to the isle. The hope of new beginning and familiar-ship to occur, where the dragons could rely upon each other even when they no longer could do much. Within it's midst were abandoned children and a variety of rather odd wolves.

But the other was kind, she seemed wary of what packs may have and especially didn't blame with battles in the midst, "you are always welcome to find me for more help with swimming." Even if she didn't want to join, Vendrussel offered a paw of help for her.. Phobia, of the water. It felt unusual to meet someone of such opposites, where she was so into it's depth that it matched with her colors.

"This place is neutral territory, a free for all. Perhaps we can watch the sunset together," the Alpha laughed lightly.

the staff team luvs u
07-04-2022, 04:32 AM
Would this be a good place to end?

Those words struck a chord within Galatea. No one is a burden. Could someone like her actually have her own place, where she belongs? Considering they just met today, she didn't know much about Vendrussel, but she could sense the experience and hardship behind those ocean eyes. She doubted the woman would say things like that and not mean it. Perhaps, it wouldn't hurt to rely on others every once in a while.

Something about the sea wolf's offer, along with her laugh, made her heart skip a beat, and she was transfixed for a moment. After regaining her bearings, she smiled softly and replied with a voice full of gratitude, "That would be nice. The sunset is always beautiful."

After gently shaking off her wet paws, she settled down in the sand farther from the water. She sighed in contentment as she felt warmth on her fur and gazed at the ocean, glittering like gems in the sunlight.
the staff team luvs u
scroll to top