Welcome to Canis Major

a wolf and animal rpg (role-playing game)

Canis is a writing community for play-by-post (forum-based), freeform roleplay set in a fictional dream world in the intrusion fantasy genre. Most characters on Canis are wolves; many play elements are focused around wolves and canids, but the world makes room for a large variety of other animal characters such as dogs, horses, cats, bears, deer, and many, many more.

Our community is focused on flexibility, creativity, and collaboration. That boils down to a few important features:

• There is no set activity requirement to write
  • The setting and plot are member-created and staff-supported
  • The game is continuously improved to increase fun and decrease stress

Learn more in our Rulebook!

AW
ACT II SCENE I

AW
05-25-2022, 04:20 PM
"Eirene?"

"EI-REEN?"

"EYE.. REEEEN!!"

The pale boy squawked loudly for all to hear as he trudged through the unfamiliar territory. Having lost Eirene a short while ago, he was eager to get her back. Scared even.

With numb paws and a shaking frame,  Primrose squinted against the wind as it whipped his delicate fur and clouded his vision. He definitely wasn't built for this land, and grunting as he shook his head in vain in an attempt to rid of the piling snow on the bridge of his nose, Primrose swore as soon as he found her he would beg to leave.

the staff team luvs u
Paladin
Northfall
05-25-2022, 05:12 PM (This post was last modified: 05-25-2022, 05:12 PM by Aarkron1.)
He hadn't spent much time in Northfall meeting others. Aarkron didn't care much for mingling in the first place and only occupied his time trying to find herbs and keeping the place relatively clean despite the harsh weather.

There was thankfully not much excitement around these days which meant he could do just that - other than today as he was making his way to the borders when a young lad was out and about wandering their lands calling out for someone.

With a less than impressed expression, he approached. Creases in his brow and bridge of the nose made for a certainly opposing figure as he cut across the lad's path. “No matter who you're looking for, trespassing is not an excuse.” To nail his point across, the frown onto his face deepened even further.

the staff team luvs u
05-25-2022, 05:56 PM
In time the snow took shape, and looking up with a gasp, Primrose was met with the icy stare of another. Their fur, just as white as the snow itself seemingly blended in, and despite trying his best, Primrose was unable to differentiate between the wind and them. Only their mismatched eyes gave away.

Crouching lower into the snow as if trying to disappear, Primrose gulped with his tail tucked between his legs, his frame shaking ever so violently from the cold and stress. He had never been looked at this way. "I-I-Im looking for my..." mother "mother," he squeaked, clearly uncomfortable under the gaze of this man.

"H-have you seen her?" He attempted to peer around the leg of the stranger, mouth stretched into an "o" of wonder.

the staff team luvs u
Paladin
05-25-2022, 06:15 PM
[Image: b9c9f294df89a1862831a07a88af0a84.jpg]
Though usually, the mountain of a man didn't care much for battle, he wasn't afraid of it either. Even if he was intimidating 24/7 without realizing it, he knew what kind of chill he could send down someone's spine when he wanted to.

At least this one was easily intimidated and didn't seem to want to fight or anything. Which was understanding, they were either a midget or a child after all. Quick to speak up and say he was looking for their... mother? “And who is that?” While the young boy looked around behind Aarkron's legs, he would bend and lean to make sure he was always keeping eye contact with the lad.

Whatever was Northfall's way of dealing with trespassers he wasn't sure of... but this was working well enough for the time being. Hopefully, no one would come rushing in with the desire to hurt the kid otherwise he might be a traitor here too if he had to defend a child from a Northfallian from doing onto this one, what Dragonford had done to them. “Can't help you if I don't know who they are...”

the staff team luvs u
05-25-2022, 06:39 PM
Any attempt to look elsewhere was futile as the ghost moved with his vision, and surrendering, Primrose instead chose to look down at his own paws with a crumpled expression—  Far too scared to glance at the monster above, les he be eaten or carried off into the unknown.

"E-Eirene," he mumbled, before noticing moments later that the giant had not heard him. Again, he said her name louder with eyes scrunched closed and lips trembling. He licked at his nose anxiously, tears beginning to form on the corner of his eyes in fear. Where was she? Why would she leave him alone?

He stuttered a small breath, ears pulled back and body curling in on itself. "D-Don't eat me. Please, I didn't mean to t-trespass."

the staff team luvs u
Paladin
05-26-2022, 03:29 AM
Aarkon's placement in the pack had not gone missed by Ragnar. The large white wolf often looked out over the borders as he exit from them. He would spend much of his time away though when he returned it was with a bundle of herbs in his jaws. This pleased Ragnar. Like @Harper, he was a gentle giant. He could fiercely fight if needing too, a shield for those which he protected. He could heal, too, and this meant Northfall did not have to 'wait and see' if their injured would die before help could arrive from another land.

Ragnar would see the man again in the distance, moving out towards the Moors. He had no intention to follow, not until a calling attracted the both of them. Aarkon had stopped the little wolf in his tracks, whom now faltered before the healing guard. He was but a delicate thing and shivered as the winds of the north tore at him.

Ragnar came to stand at the side of the much larger male, looking down at the bot with an icy eye and flat frown on him lips. “You are young and still learning. You must be observant if you are to survive. You are lucky you came to our doorstep instead of our enemies, south. They kill pups who tresspass their lands.” Ragnar was firm, ready to put the fear of God in the boy and then after a few moments to let it sink in, he would try to comfort the boy, appear less threatening (Aarkon could take care of that perfectly on his own- boy was he glad he wasn't on his enemy's side anymore) Ragnar came down to a sit before Primrose, tail moving over his paws.

“Eirene is here. The mountains have called to her. Allow me to as well...” He speaks cool and calm and then lifts his muzzle to summon for @Eirene.
the staff team luvs u
*Ragnar frequently has black feathers woven into his scruff, curiosity of his good friend, Krakarak.
Counsellor
05-26-2022, 08:56 PM
Eirene had been tirelessly scurrying about the wit's end of the territory, furiously searching for Primrose. Filled with anxiety, her paws shook as she trodden across the lands, fear encompassed. "Primrose? Primrose!" She would call, jumping upon the highest of rocks in an attempt to find the small tufts of peach fur. 

To no avail, her ears would fluctuate, awaiting a call. Howls of her own left her throat, a raw and cutting sound throughout the atmosphere. Nothing. Primrose probably didn't even know the sound of her howl, much less knew where he was. It was stupid for her to leave him alone for even just a mere moment. At the moment that she did, he had fled from her side. She swore it was only for a moment.  A moment that was worth a lifetime. 

Then she heard it, distantly, a call. 

She bolted. She knew it was Ragnar who had called her, surely...surely it had to have been for Primrose. Was she going to get into trouble? Was she going to be punished? No— Ragnar was not juvenile as such. The Gods brought Primrose to her; he would have to see that. 

"Gods Primrose—!" Eirene bounded over to the child, ignoring the others surrounding him. Her nose would scent into his neck, making sure that it was in fact him. The tenderness of her hold around his body warmed her, loosening the anxiety that piled onto her shoulders. 

"Don't you ever run off again, do you hear me?" She would nip his cheek as an affirmation, a low plain growl in her throat. With polite mannerisms, she covered her body in front of his own, turning to the two males before her. Her head bowed out of respect, eyes locking with Ragnar, then to the other white wolf; she would bow to him, too. The woman felt scrutinized, and most sincerely embarrassed. 

Eirene stood her ground, shoulders perked forward, before breathing an apology; "I apologize, your grace." She felt as though she owed Ragnar an apology...for, well, having the responsibility of a child. "Primrose—" Her head gestured to the boy, "he is not mine by blood. Yet he was wandering on the outskirts of the territory. We were on our way to find you before he got distracted by the flowers." Eirene would swallow nervously.

the staff team luvs u
Paladin
05-28-2022, 01:39 PM
He almost felt sorry for the kid. The desire to coddle and comfort the child who was trembling at his feet had gone ignored for the kid's sake. He shouldn't be so comfortable roaming into other pack's lands - especially with Vendrussel around who was so willing to kill youth like him. He had to be taught this fear - at least in Aarkron's eyes. That not all adults would be so understanding and loving. At least with the rough healer, he wasn't in any real danger other than perhaps pissing himself.

Ragnarr's voice cut through after a while, joining the interrogation and for a moment Aarkron was ready to defend the kid against his new leader. Turning ever so slightly and studying his approach, only to relax and regain that gargoyle-esque appearance of his, staring down the child as Ragnar chose a gentler approach. Good he thought. Not wanting to side with another leader who would just mindlessly fight, main or kill a child for the sake of nonsense.

The king of the mountain took the questions from here and knew of Eirene that the boy sought. Calling for her as Aarkron would have no idea who she was even after the boy had told him of her. At least she was here.

Soon enough the woman in question appeared, no longer feeling the need to beam empty threats to the kid, the once dragon reborn relaxed. Softened his expression as much as one could with a resting bitch face like his and simply listened. He had nothing to add other than to be a part of introductions, offering a similar bow that she did feeling it was unnecessary for him to be treated so highly just yet. After all, it was possible in the eyes of the pack, Eirene was already much higher on the ladder than he was.

the staff team luvs u
05-28-2022, 10:26 PM
Enimes, Kill, Tresspass, Moundtains.

Such words meant little to the boy at this point in life, but like all youth, he would soak up the knowledge in time. He would steal glances at the adults above, increasingly becoming aware that perhaps they weren't here to eat him. However, It wasn't until he heard the comforting voice of Eirene that he would spring up, untucking himself and rush towards her with his tail wagging.

Just as she did, he would revel in the warmth and smell of her around him. His face rubbing into her fur and paws clutching gently to any part of her he could reach. "Eirene," he shuddered, sobbing in relief. "Im so, so, sorry. I tried looking for you- but I ran into someone mean. I thought he was going to eat me! I promise I won't. I promise I promise!"

He watched her bow and instantly stumbled to mirror the same, blissfully unaware of the mannerism meant but wanting to please all the more.

Grace? he thought, following his caretaker's eyes to the figure of the larger male. Primrose didn't understand what was going on but marveled all the less. This male, this Grace, was something to fear- he knew that much. But he also couldn't help but wonder if he too would grow up to be as tall and commanding, if he too would be pretty and carry the same air of greatness.

Gulping he would look to the both of them, becoming aware that perhaps he didn't near to fear if Eirene wasn't. "Uhm..." He began. "I'm sorry for trespassing, my name is Primrose. M..May I please stay here?"

the staff team luvs u
Paladin
05-29-2022, 04:49 AM
And there Eirene came. The young woman flying past the two pale men where Primrose would meet her, their reunion filled with a flurry of affection. She is loving yet sharp with the boy, growling and pinching his cheek as she scolded. Ragnar stood back up, taking a step back to in order to offer them more room.

Eirene then turns, protecting the boy with her own body. She bows, but she looks to Ragnar directly and her shoulders forth. Respectful but not groveling. Ragnar's own tail was out rigid behind him, standing firm in his spot to insure the situation would not be taken lightly.

Eirene explained how she had found the boy, how he was not her own. She looked to be quite a young woman to have had him her own self so it made sense that she had taken him in. Many wolves arrived to these lands completely lost. The boy then apologized again, wishing to stay.

“Primrose is welcome here, of course. He is your son.” Whether by blood or not, it was obvious they had already grown fondly of one another. Eirene's worry and protective nature had shown in these moments. And the child even was calling her mother.

Ragnar's grim expression did not ease, however. He looked both to Eirene and the pup with a hard-lined frown. “But you must keep a close eye on him. Pups will surely test their limits as they age and our enemies on the islands to the south have killed one of our pups for tresspassing... Even when just on their hunting grounds.” He warned, to the both of them. Maybe hearing it himself would keep Primrose from straying south like some kind of bedtime story to keep them in line. But this was no fairytale. This was war.
the staff team luvs u
*Ragnar frequently has black feathers woven into his scruff, curiosity of his good friend, Krakarak.
Counsellor
06-02-2022, 01:43 AM
Eirene took note of Ragnar's expression: harsh and convicting, telling her, reminding her with great urgency that this was not child's play. Eirene turned backward to face Primrose, eyes widening as he declared he wished to stay. The King would let him stay. Thank the Lords, if he hadn't...there would've been an issue. 

"Thank you, sir. Your kindness will not be forgotten." Eirene's head dipped to a bow once again, a smile spreading across her face. At his warning of their enemies, a frown took a toll on her features, confusion ridden on her face. How could a pack— no, a wolf kill a child? Eirene would never be able to fathom it. Ever. The innocence laid on Primrose was enough to make her heart melt as time continued to pass, but the thought of murder never crossed her mind. 

It didn't cross her mind on the daily, anyways. 

The woman would turn to the child, lowering her head to lick over the tufts of fur on the top of his head, grooming him. "Enemies of the south? Do we know more of them?" Eirene was nosy now, wanting to know more. She had to for Primrose's safety. The woman would look to Ragnar and the white wolf beside him, awaiting an answer as Primrose was between her frontal paws. In between sentences, she'd flatten his fur.

the staff team luvs u
Paladin
06-05-2022, 06:51 PM
Introductions were made. The boy as well as his guardian both asked if the child could stay in Northfall - a decision that wasn't for Aarkron to make so kept silent on the matter. Ragnarr was quick to accept the young boy into their ranks and wisely warned them of the dangers that lurked beyond their borders. This was a war after all, and who's to say that Vendrussel wouldn't kill another whelp left unguarded just because he smelled of Northfall?

If Aarkron had his way, both Eirene and Primrose would have to find a home elsewhere. Away from the war-torn packs and not get themselves involved until Primrose was trained and ready to defend himself should an attack come unprovoked. But, this wasn't his pack... and instead, he would just have to keep a close eye on the kid and make sure he wouldn't go anywhere near Dragonford or their precious hunting grounds they would so gladly kill for.

Only when Eirene voiced wanting to know more about Dragonford did the pale man speak up. “A group led by a cowardly woman.” His voice boomed. “She has no qualms with starting and continuing war for selfish needs and will come up with lies and excuses to her followers to justify her poor actions.”

Already wound up and wanting nothing more than to go to the field of herbs and flowers he had been drawn away from, the giant began to wander. Letting the rumble of his baritone vocals speak beyond his back. “She will say and do whatever it takes to further her own goals. Peace and mercy mean nothing to her.” With that said, he wandered off without looking back or another word. Those were his own warnings to stay away from the southern dragons as nothing good could come from it.

Exit Aarkron

the staff team luvs u
scroll to top