Welcome to Canis Major

a wolf and animal rpg (role-playing game)

Canis is a writing community for play-by-post (forum-based), freeform roleplay set in a fictional dream world in the intrusion fantasy genre. Most characters on Canis are wolves; many play elements are focused around wolves and canids, but the world makes room for a large variety of other animal characters such as dogs, horses, cats, bears, deer, and many, many more.

Our community is focused on flexibility, creativity, and collaboration. That boils down to a few important features:

• There is no set activity requirement to write
  • The setting and plot are member-created and staff-supported
  • The game is continuously improved to increase fun and decrease stress

Learn more in our Rulebook!

AW
Wet Dog

Evening Hail
AW
05-19-2022, 08:31 PM
He hated this so much, hated the way the small rocks that fell from the sky lodged into his fur. Perhaps he was vain, but he still liked to keep his fur free of things. Even if it did melt, it would just make his fur all wet and he would look stupid. he needed to find someplace to camp for the night, or at least until this passed. 

He sniffed the air as he approached a cave hidden under some snow. He could smell the scent of others, but he didn't see any just yet. For now, he would duck into the cave and if someone came out yelling at him, then he would just deal with that when it happened.

the staff team luvs u
  • Common
  • Mongolian
[Image: 63161113_aYIpOLLmgPvIAMb.gif?1680739723]
Formation
05-19-2022, 08:38 PM (This post was last modified: 05-22-2022, 04:30 PM by Tiberius. Edited 1 time in total.)
^^

He was not long away from seeking @Olive back out to tell her of the new mountain that had overtaken the old one, it's cresting mountains and looming trees that hid it's haven between the shadows had him feeling good -- and he had an inkling his lady would feel the same. Yet it was not time to return yet, his molten gaze shifting as he hauled his weight through the snow, hail choosing now to fall. They battered their small rocks against his spine and his crown, his silvery brows pulling together as he let out an irritated huff -- it wasn't often that it hailed here yet when it did, it was irritating like sand stuck between your toes.

The titan knew that it was pointless to be out right now, hail sending most creatures seeking shelter and he would be no different, not willing today to play with the weather. A scent clung to his nose that had his molten gaze curious, it was canine but not wolf and ahead he saw a darkened frame slip into the mouth of a cave. A cave, a good source of shelter and Tiberius rolled his shoulders as he grumbled to himself: when had he become so willing to be in someone elses company?

He blamed Olive.

Tiberius drew himself towards the cave as the hail grew more persistent and he huffed, "fuckin' shit." The titan stopped at the mouth of the cave and chuffed, "aye," ducking his head he sought to find the one who had entered. "Git room fer one more?" ^^

the staff team luvs u
05-19-2022, 09:05 PM
As he entered the cave, he was content to see that there wasn't anyone here. It smelled like others had used this cave before, but currently no one called this place home it seemed.

It wasn't long after he ducked inside that he heard someone call out to him. Quickly the man would turn around, noticing the wolf that entered. He was slightly taller than him, but wasn't as chunky as the dog was. Not that he minded really, he had no reason to fight this man over housing. With a simple nod, the man would make room for the other, moving to lay himself down near one corner of the cave. 

"Sure, ain't my cave to police." His voice was deep and gravely, thick with a Mongolian accent. He caught the scent of others, or perhaps just one other, on the wolf and curiosity got the better of him. "You got a pack?" He didn't know much about wolves and how they did things, but he was always curious about pack lives.

the staff team luvs u
  • Common
  • Mongolian
Adventurer
Formation
05-20-2022, 04:20 PM (This post was last modified: 05-22-2022, 04:31 PM by Tiberius. Edited 1 time in total.)
^^

He didn't hesitate to push his way into the cave once the man had given the greenlight, ducking through the mouth of the cave and shaking off his fur from the silly hail stones that had settled along his spine and crown. "Seemin' like it ain't no ones," he rumbled as he shrugged and settled himself into the open corner. 

Definitely canine but seemingly really fuckin' poofy, too, he noted as he observed the other man. The man questioned his ties and he tilted his chin, "aye, sorta," Tiberius grunted, "me an' mine lookin' fer somewhere ta settle an' start up." He couldn't help but wonder what the fuck this man even was. "Yer ain't runnin' wit' no one," the titan noted, his scent being his and his alone. ^^

the staff team luvs u
05-21-2022, 12:31 AM
Laying himself down, the man would start to groom himself, something that he noticed not a lot of wolves tended to do. But with as much fur as he had, he would have to if he didn't want to walk around like a tangled mess. Though he wasn't looking at the man, he was still listening, only turning his attention when he spoke of him being alone. That was accurate as the man never really saw much reason to join any packs. At least not until recently. Nothing really had changed, he always had a curiosity for packs, but because he figured he was getting older so he might as well try it out. 

"I am alone, ain't got anyone currently. Why, is ya looking for members?" He noticed the curiosity every time the man would look at him and with a deep chuckle, he would speak up. "If ya have questions, you can ask."

the staff team luvs u
  • Common
  • Mongolian
Adventurer
Formation
05-21-2022, 07:36 PM (This post was last modified: 05-22-2022, 04:31 PM by Tiberius. Edited 1 time in total.)
^^

He hummed, "we lookin'," Tiberius informed but he continued to watch the canine with an air of curiosity. Focused on cleaning the mounds of fur that shrouded him, he wasn't looking back at him until his latter words and Tiberius gave a short shrug. "Yer wantin' somewhere ta call 'ome, mate?"

Tiberius would be stupid if he looked past the sheer mass of the canine and how with the right training and upkeep, he could be of use to the Pack. The titan knew strength came in all places of body and mind so he wasn't being biased but sometimes physical strength was a plus. He would need to be willing to learn, though. Tiberius was unwilling to house creatures who didn't seek to be the best version of themselves and give to them as they gave.

"Yer dedicated? Yer lookin' ta work ta make a 'ome, a place ta be proud of?" Because he was and he wasn't willing to bother with those who didn't. ^^

the staff team luvs u
05-21-2022, 07:56 PM
The man nodded slightly, figuring that the man was looking for members. He was interested, but he wasn't going to throw himself at the man either. That would just be stupid. When he told him to ask his question, the canine didn't expect that to be the question that he asked, not that he minded.

For a moment, he stopped grooming himself to speak, having waited until the man before him had finished. "Someone to call home would be nice. I gotta tell ya I ain't never been in a 'pack' before, but I'm willin to learn and I'm willin to push my own weight." He wasn't against proving himself, that was something he figured would need to be done. He also didn't mind work, he was used to working and doing things for only himself, so to do the same things, but for others? That didn't seem like something he would hate too much.

"The name is Genghis by the way. Genghis Baatar" He had realized that he hadn't introduced himself yet, and figured that if he may end up working with this man, he might as well learn who he was working with.

the staff team luvs u
  • Common
  • Mongolian
Adventurer
Formation
05-21-2022, 08:20 PM (This post was last modified: 05-22-2022, 04:32 PM by Tiberius. Edited 1 time in total.)
^^

He wasn't overly surprised to hear that the man hadn't been part of a pack -- he wasn't a wolf but he was a canine, Tiberius wasn't sure how other canines operated so he wasn't about to assume he operated the same. Yet it was not something that Tiberius disapproved of, for he continued on outlining that he was willing. "Good," it was a simple answer but he lifted his chin. "Trust is earned. From yer an' from me, shit ain't a one way street, yeah?" Tiberius wanted to trust those that he brought in but he wanted them to trust him just as much.

Tiberius knew better than most that trust was difficult to gain and for some, it was difficult to maintain. Tiberius himself was working on his own issues with trust given his pain points in his past yet with the help of @Olive and @Kuhn he was doing better. He dipped his chin, "good ta meet yer, Genghis. M'names Tiberius." Tiberius rolled his shoulders as he exhaled through his nose.

"Same fer yer mate, I's answer them fer yer." ^^

the staff team luvs u
05-22-2022, 01:09 AM
The man was happy to see that he wasn't expected to know everything about a pack, something that made him even more interested. Perhaps this wolf would actually turn out to be a half decent leader, er, alpha, er whatever they called it. The talk about trust made him not, his body relaxing slightly. He didn't entirely trust the wolf, anyone would be foolish to trust someone they just met in a cave, but he seemed willing to earn his trust, so he would earn the man's right back. "I trust those that have shown they deserve it. So far, you're on the right track." He was rather blunt in his words but that was always better than beating around the bush. 

Cocking his head to the side, he would think for a moment before finally speaking up. "Clearly, I ain't a wolf. I'm what is called a Tibetan Mastiff, a dog that's bred for guarding and protecting. That's what I do best. This pack of yours, is there a rank or role that will fit that?" He was curious to know where he would fit in this little group of his. "And what is your pack called?" Hopefully it at least sounded cool.

the staff team luvs u
  • Common
  • Mongolian
Formation
Adventurer
05-22-2022, 03:57 PM (This post was last modified: 05-22-2022, 04:32 PM by Tiberius. Edited 1 time in total.)
^^

He gave a short nod, "earned," the titan agreed, "shit ain't jus' thrown around." He had made that mistake more times than he would like to admit and he was guarded now, preferring others to work for something so important. Just as he would work for theirs, too. It proved something. 

A dog. Bred for specifics. It sounded strange but not really, breeding for genes was something that was done and to some degree it made sense yet he wasn't in the business of doing it. Any children he would sire with Olive would be created from love, loyalty and adoration. It would be advantageous if they proved to be skilled -- and if they weren't, well, they could learn. 

Tiberius would dip his chin as he wondered how well Genghis would take to the knowledge he would need to prove himself before being given a rank he could maintain. From what he was learning of this Tibetan Mastiff is that he didn't mind putting in the work, so far. "Aye," the titan affirmed, "jus' like trust an' respect, yer rank is earned," they needed to prove themselves, just as he would need to prove himself as a trusted leader. "Corsairs make up our defenses an' patrollin' but 'fore yer get ta make yer mark like tha', need ta be wit' us for a while an' prove yer serious 'bout tha' rank," his molten gaze would remain on the Dog, looking to see just how serious he was about making his mark.

"See, I gotta see tha abilities of those trusted ta defend an' keep others safe. Tha ones who put their trust in me to ensure tha' they gots proper security," he wasn't going to be lax about that. It wasn't an option. "Where tha trus' comes back ta play." ^^

the staff team luvs u
scroll to top