Welcome to Canis Major

a wolf and animal rpg (role-playing game)

Canis is a writing community for play-by-post (forum-based), freeform roleplay set in a fictional dream world in the intrusion fantasy genre. Most characters on Canis are wolves; many play elements are focused around wolves and canids, but the world makes room for a large variety of other animal characters such as dogs, horses, cats, bears, deer, and many, many more.

Our community is focused on flexibility, creativity, and collaboration. That boils down to a few important features:

• There is no set activity requirement to write
  • The setting and plot are member-created and staff-supported
  • The game is continuously improved to increase fun and decrease stress

Learn more in our Rulebook!

P
gave me no compasses, gave me no signs

Late Evening
P
Adventurer
Discovery
05-13-2022, 05:21 PM (This post was last modified: 05-13-2022, 05:22 PM by Edith. Edited 2 times in total.)
@Oisin! Tags are for reference!

Edith had wondered @Vengenace was faring in her absence. Surely he was pining for her; @Lilith was the only other daughter he had within the woods (that she was aware of), and she knew how dreadful the brat’s company was. After briefly mulling over the situation, Edith decided that she needed to suss out the situation. She left for Blackwood Reach later in the afternoon, knowing that her father was mostly nocturnal. Her jaunt towards the neighboring territory didn’t take as long as the first time, and she arrived at the borders just after sunset and began to walk the length of the forest’s parameters towards the north. She didn’t want to march right up to Vengenace, as such directness wasn’t her forte when it came to the boogeyman. He was somebody she approached with caution, knowing their shared blood wasn’t enough to save her.

She didn’t find him—but she did find something that caught her attention. There was a forest, and somehow, it was glowing. Edith had never seen anything quite like it, and she approached the forest cautiously. Her curiosity was answered once she stepped into the woodlands. The mushrooms were the cause of the glow—something that she didn’t know was possible—and their spores danced in the wind, adding to the luminescence. She wandered further into the forest, curious to see what else there was to discover here.

the staff team luvs u
Discovery
Adventurer
05-13-2022, 05:58 PM
He'd braved the venture and set off past the nestle. It brought Oisin to a river once at it's end, one that he was quick to cross because it seemed to tease the doctor with greener grasses on the other side. While he hadn't take much time to deliberate, he was still cautious. This new world was no one he knew well and as wolves were simply wolves, they were unpredictable at best if you came across different terrains. Mountain wolves were hardy, the gruff sort - though not as angry looking as tundra wolves. He'd never been to such a lush environment so to know what kind of wolves were here was something that daunted the even tempered gentleman. 

It was already late by the time he'd arrived at a woodland, far too late to turn back so he thought perhaps he'd take shelter there if there was nothing too untoward that might jump out at him and while he was not easily scared... Oisin did not find himself enjoying the presence of cougars or bears. Not very battle hardy in the slightest. Still, he waltz around care free, nose feeling out all the scents he could find around him with great interest in anything he could potential take home to dry out. It wouldn't be possible to transplant anything from so far away but at least drying was an option!

As the sun set lower and the sky darkened, Oisin found himself in a hypnotic type of daze. The forest was coming alive, even with the bird song dying down and on each tree the fungus that grew began to emit a bioluminescent glow. How fascinating! Each step he stood was cushioned by mossy carpets until he stood before a grand old tree in the centre of a small clearing of what could be seen as a fairy ring. There was no light let in by the old tree's canopy that still interlaced with those around it. Only mushrooms grew at the foot of it, the glow intenser than that of the fungi of the surrounding area because of the sheer amount on the single trunk itself. 

Oisin sat outside of the pixie ring and could only look up, down and around with awe. He'd have to bring Kore here for what a sight this was.

Perhaps this would be a mistake for he didn't realise how much he'd put his guard down but in that moment, the male was dazed in wonder and could see nothing else in the world.

the staff team luvs u
3-3-3
this characters thoughts, feelings and opinions do not reflect my own.

Misc Skill
Discovery
05-13-2022, 06:55 PM (This post was last modified: 05-13-2022, 07:51 PM by Edith. Edited 2 times in total.)
Foxfire Woods was unlike anything Edith had seen before, and she was sure that The High Elk rewarded them with the bounty of the woodlands. It was breathtaking; balls of light were in the air, lifting from the mushrooms that had nestled themselves close to each other. She was swept up in the beauty of it all, losing herself in the presence of His glory and beauty. ”Thank our High Elk,” she whispered in prayer. 

Edith’s path weaved through a stretch of land heavily populated by evergreen and leafy trees alike and led her towards and around the grand old tree that Oisin sat in front of. He was the first thing she saw once she had entered the clearing. Edith stopped in her tracks as she saw him,  her breath catching in her throat as she realized her situation. The High Elk’s will had lead her towards her intended match; a husband for her to marry and create the next generation to carry on His will. Oisin was perfect in every way. He looked solid and tall—much like her people. Her heartbeat increased, and knots tied in her stomach. 

”It’s beautiful, isn’t it?” Edith called out, her voice a velvety coo as she stepped towards him. She pressed herself against the oak, her movement fluid and feline-like. ”Almost as beautiful as me,” she added silently to herself. Although she had no experience with these mature feelings, she acted instinctively. Something told her to make herself soft and sweet, lure him in like a piranha plant attracting its next meal.

the staff team luvs u
05-13-2022, 07:29 PM (This post was last modified: 05-13-2022, 07:30 PM by Oisin. Edited 1 time in total.)
A youthful voice cradled his attention, beckoning his gaze as he dragged it down the oak to a figure almost as tall as he. she was a shadow under the darkness but illuminated by the green glow of the fungi. So too was she like himself, a brunette; though he favoured the lighter hues. He was not alarmed by her presence, not outwardly anyway despite kicking himself in his mind for not picking up on her scent sooner. He just gave in to nature too much at times and found himself so distracted... It would truly be the death of him, he sighed in his mind. 

His classic, easily charming, lopsided smile pulled at his darkened maw in greeting, and his warm sombre hummed a response with ease without his gaze wavering from hers. Perhaps something that could be easily miscommunicated as infatuation.  

"Nothing's more beautiful,"

Oisin being a thick a the oak itself, didn't catch onto to flirtation so easily, especially when the love of his life was the topic of conversation. He couldn't get enough of the earth and it's wonders. To him, this conversation with this child was harmless. Simply appreciation. He didn't expect anything else. Steadily, he returned his eyes to the trunk of the tree and breathed in a deep breath before sighing. This was the life.

the staff team luvs u
3-3-3

Misc Skill
05-13-2022, 07:51 PM (This post was last modified: 05-13-2022, 07:53 PM by Edith. Edited 1 time in total.)
”Nothing more beautiful,” Oisin replied in a deep baritone.

”Wrong,” Edith thought.

She forewent her pride for now.

”Mmm,” Edith hummed in agreement. ”I agree,” she hesitated, searching his face. ”Well,” she tested, teasing, ”I believe that you’re a close second.” She was testing the waters, wondering what he’d make of the compliment. She smiled sweetly at him, her tail thumping against the gnarled oak’s trunk. 

the staff team luvs u
Medic
05-14-2022, 02:07 PM
His smile remained easy as he looked up the solid trunk of the oak studying each fungus. Some glowed more than others, illuminating the caps of the others around even those that did not seem to have the same amount of light. Such funny things had little more purpose than tasting bitter on the tongue but they did at least have one thing they could do. 

His cheeks warming as he realised what she'd said about him. 

So direct for someone so young, Oisin wasn't often one to deal with such comments head on so he simply did what he knew how to do best. "If you find yourself bleeding, chew one of those frilly ones into a paste and put it on the wound. They stop the bleeding." he hummed to no one in particular before giving the girl a coy, closed-eyed grin and a somewhat embarrassed bob of his head. It all looked like a introverted shrug, shy almost as he tried deflecting the situation with his knowledge.

the staff team luvs u
3-3-3

05-14-2022, 02:40 PM
What did that mean? Edith was confused and mentally fumbled, but she did not fall. Instead, she took a minute to regroup mentally; after all, it seemed like her words had struck a chord with him.

”Would you help me if I found myself in that situation?” Edith asked, feigning helplessness. ”It seems like you know your stuff and that I’d be in good paws.” She looked down at the fairy ring and smiled softly. ”I don’t know too much about healing properties … “ she admitted. Although she loathed admitting her weaknesses, she wondered if it’d make her more approachable—easier to sympathize with and embrace. Edith looked up to him then, her eyes doe-like.

the staff team luvs u
Medic
05-14-2022, 04:39 PM
He seemed to have caught her off guard but her recovery was unexpectedly smooth, it ruffled his feathers but the doctor remained calm under whatever weird atmospheric pressure this was. Instead, he gently wrapped his tail around his feet and chuckled lightly, a warm, hearty one with words that rolled off the tongue like honey. 

"Of course," it was an easy response and one that was followed by more, "I know a fair amount, but there's always more to know. I could teach you too, but you might have to get permission first." he wasn't nose blind, even if he did initially miss her scent to begin with. She smelt of many, a mixture of packs but one was far fainter than the other. She belonged amongst them so if she wished to train elsewhere, it was often common practice to get approval before going elsewhere for an apprenticeship. That was... If she wished for one.

the staff team luvs u
3-3-3

05-15-2022, 11:26 PM (This post was last modified: 05-15-2022, 11:29 PM by Edith. Edited 3 times in total.)
Edith blushed, smitten that Oisin would do the bare minimum of being a decent individual by helping her. She smiled to herself, glancing down as a gentle blush spread across her face. She remained in the moment, blissfully unaware of the backhanded insult she was handed next.

When he mentioned obtaining permission, her excitement disappeared, and she fixed him with a hardened expression. ”I don’t think that'll be necessary,” she insisted and as sweetly as she could manage, exhaling slowly. Edith reminded herself to get a grip, but she felt bitter and was insulted. 

She was hardly a child—she was nine months old! Nearly a whole-ass adult!  

the staff team luvs u
05-16-2022, 07:18 PM (This post was last modified: 05-16-2022, 07:18 PM by Oisin.)
The male let out an awkward somewhat forced chuckle before standing. This girl was... something.

"Well okay then, I guess we'll be travel partners then if you really wish to come with me." his was was warm still, light with jests and willingness to see himself with an apprentice. 

He'd yet to enter the fairy circle and would refuse to. @Kore would be proud of him for not trespassing on the sacred ground, perhaps prouder than he wouldn't be dancing himself to death. He simply took a step back and glanced lightly to the oak once more before turning entirely and showing the girl behind him his plump booty. He supposed they'd best find somewhere to rest for the night if anything was the case. It was dark but this forest was too alive for him to sleep soundly with so many lights behind his eyes. Shaking his brunette coat out, he took a deep breath and readied himself to leave. It would be a totally normal night, nothing at all weird about it. 

No child being strange with strange thoughts...

"Would you like to know anything before we find a place to rest and set out in the morning?"

the staff team luvs u
3-3-3

05-17-2022, 11:55 PM
Oisin was doing everything right, and Edith smiled. Everything was going according to His plan. ”I do” she confirmed with wedding bells ringing in her ears. But, of course, she didn’t know where they were going, but that didn’t matter—she’d follow him to the end of the earth if she had to. 

When Oisin turned away she got a glimpse of … that ass.

[Image: giphy.gif]

She was transfixed; it was perfectly plump and perky. She’d never seen such a nice booty, and she couldn’t help but stare. Edith snapped out of it when he spoke, and she pranced to his side. Though she had many questions for him, she could only think to ask one thing: 

”Where are we going?”

the staff team luvs u
Adventurer
05-19-2022, 09:24 PM
Blissfully oblivious as he was, when Edith joined him at his side, he simply offered her a welcome smile before looking back ahead at the glowing forest. Somewhere he was sure there would be a fallen hollow they could cozy themselves up in. An Ancient tree in this place would also create an embankment or overhang so that would always be another option if the pair of them didn't fit. 

"To the east, a pack called Greenwood resides in the plains. We focus on the medicinal value of plants."

They just had to cross a river to get there and quite frankly, had Oisin known the doe eyed girl beside him was so openly eyeing him up, he'd likely have wanted to avoid it before he got too embarrassed. His coat wasn't water tight so if he got just a little big soaked, his entire body would be on show without his fluff. 

Little did he know though, this girl was going to be a terror to handle in the first place. He was just excited to share his craft.

the staff team luvs u
3-3-3

05-20-2022, 02:44 PM
"To the east, a pack called Greenwood resides in the plains. We focus on the medicinal value of plants.”

Edith cringed inwardly. What a bunch of fucking dorks. ”Sounds cool!” she fibbed through clenched teeth, beaming despite the cringe she felt. What was she doing? Was this part of His plan? If it was, it sucked.

At least Oisin was nice to look at.

”Are there’s lots of different plants out there?” Edith couldn’t be alone with her thoughts. They only deterred her and made her want to run for the hills.

the staff team luvs u
Adventurer
05-20-2022, 03:14 PM
The child part of this girl was showing through, perhaps more than Oisin has originally realised. Her question, though he was thankful she'd asked, was also very silly. There were plants everywhere. Nevermind, he thought, she was still young after all. Not quite a yearling, if his eyes weren't lying. The man's gentle gaze looked to her and ran over her body lightly, considering how much she'd filled out and grown. She seemed to be around the time that children looked quite plump until they had their final growth spirt. 

He supposed she was somewhat plump, despite her lean build. 

It was always so difficult to know exact ages with children unless you'd watched them be born. 

"Sure, they're everywhere," he simply responded with a nod, before turning his attention back to finding a place to sleep. Oblivious but also getting a reel that this girl wasn't perhaps the brightest yet. That must be why she wanted an apprenticeship so bad she didn't have to ask anyone for permission.

It wasn't long before he found an area shrouded in darkness and a soft 'ah!' parted his lips. A fine old tree with it's roots casting an dark overhang from the glowing night. He was quick to trot over to the hideaway to size it up before he cast a look over his shoulder to the girl. 

"Is this okay for you? If not, we can find elsewhere." quick to question but hoping for a yes, Oisin was very aware of the time that was going by in the forest even if he didn't see much of the moonlight. He wanted to get home as soon as, though he doubted it would be any time soon.

the staff team luvs u
3-3-3

05-20-2022, 04:06 PM (This post was last modified: 05-20-2022, 04:07 PM by Edith. Edited 4 times in total.)
I'M SORRY EDITH WAS LIKE THIS! Oisin is so lovely, and I hate her for this. ): Feel free to fade and archive! Thanks for the thread!

[Image: Screen_Shot_2022-05-20_at_11.43.24_AM.png]
The longer Edith was in her mind, the further the ick spread. Had the High Elk sent her this guy? Or had she been wrapped up in the picturesque moment? After all, Oisin was a handsome guy—she couldn’t deny that—and would produce beautiful children. She sighed, the feeling overwhelming her as they paused their search. 

She took a step back, looking between the knoll and the medic. ” Actually,” she said suddenly, ”This isn’t for me.” Edith was going off the rails, an alarm sounding in her mind: RETREAT! RETREAT! RETREAT!” ” Plants are fucking boring.” She was eloquent as always; Edith decided that this was not His plan. Edith fled then, whirling ’round at the speed of sound. Whatever Oisin said was blatantly ignored, as she’d lost her interest. 

[Image: N1l2fNs.gif]

She would return to Elkshire in the early morning, where she would reconnect with @Calhoun and @Warwick. She wouldn’t mention her misinterpretation, only that she had checked in on the Nightwalkers with nothing to report. She would then hide away for the rest of the day, now wanting to face the music: she had been so wrong.

the staff team luvs u
05-20-2022, 04:25 PM
Like a slap in the face, she was retreating and apparently plants were... boring? 

Shock lathered the mans face and something bitter dwelled within his stomach just for a moment. It was a strange feeling but to call plants boring was like calling himself boring. Oisin knew it wasn't sitting right but it made his mind reel back at their interactions. He'd never gotten her name so the blame was hard to place. To each their own, the laid back man thought, attempting to let the interaction go over this head like the wind. 

Immaturity, it would be his leading opinion of the girl, but the smells that settled on her... They would be something he would remember, ingrained into his mind as he grew unsettled.

Hopefully this girl wasn't a reflection of her friends, because if they were, they had no standing to be on Greenwoods good side. To not respect someones craft and to shove it back in their face when they were so willing to offer help and study, was insulting. The red toned male lifted his head as he crane to watch her go before tutting. 

Like a kicked puppy, the man was crushed, potentially pissed if he were somebody else. But the feeling was foreign to him, laid back as he was, he tried  not to focus on it. Little did he know such nonchalant words spoken from the child would resonate within him. It would spiral him into a world he did not understand.

the staff team luvs u
3-3-3

scroll to top