Welcome to Canis Major

a wolf and animal rpg (role-playing game)

Canis is a writing community for play-by-post (forum-based), freeform roleplay set in a fictional dream world in the intrusion fantasy genre. Most characters on Canis are wolves; many play elements are focused around wolves and canids, but the world makes room for a large variety of other animal characters such as dogs, horses, cats, bears, deer, and many, many more.

Our community is focused on flexibility, creativity, and collaboration. That boils down to a few important features:

• There is no set activity requirement to write
  • The setting and plot are member-created and staff-supported
  • The game is continuously improved to increase fun and decrease stress

Learn more in our Rulebook!

P
Silly how I feel

Evening Overcast
P
Elysium
Misc Skill
05-13-2022, 03:23 PM
Tomorrow would be the day, she had decided at last. She felt nervous, almost like something was crawling underneath her skin. Harper had busied herself gathering up the remainder of the perfumed herbs and flowers that had been requested, and Amaranth had been off doing... something. She'd disappeared with her absurd little raven-child for an entire afternoon to gods-knew-where, but the silver wolf assumed it was something important or she wouldn't have looked so determined. The others spent their time accumulating various odds and ends for decoration and the feast itself.

Valeska padded toward the dens, seeing a familiar dusky shape hunched over in the middle of the clearing before them. It was Urszula, and as usual, she was busy honing her skinning skills and making quick work of a hare she had managed to track down; Valeska marveled at the scene, how efficiently everything had been sorted into little piles as Zula cut clean lines through the carcass with her teeth.

“You are always doing something,” she teased in her approach, a soft smile curving her lips. “I am sure you have heard, but tomorrow is a big event - the most I have ever tried to organize. It is the Bounty of Sylvanus and my wedding with Amaranth. Hurk.

Her stomach turned and she couldn't decide if it was just nerves or the pups kicking around in her belly, but she looked mildly uncomfortable for a moment. She swallowed the lump in her throat and tried not to think about it.

“I do not know if I have told you, but you are welcome to attend - you do not need to be of Elysium to enjoy the festivities. We would be delighted for your company.”

the staff team luvs u
[Image: m7jPOzS.png]
Hunter
05-13-2022, 05:33 PM
She'd caught the hare to the north of the basin, where the ground shifted and dust flew with every unpredictable shift of the earth. This hare was smart, nimble too but it was not enough to escape the salivating jaws of Zula as she collided with the mountainside with her balance like that of a mountain goats. She'd grown used to the altitude after a few days of living amongst elysium but had yet to grown comfy with its members. She'd remained at Valeska's beck and call and often contributed to the cache whenever she could in payment for allowing her to stay. It was beneficial to herself to remain there for now and the growing respect for the silver woman was enough to intrigue her not to find other reasons to leave. 

She'd heard the mutterings of a celebration too so she'd upper her hunting game just that little bit more a few days prior in order to secure a gift. She hadn't met Valeska's other half yet but it part it would be a present for them both. Large enough to bring comfort to them both during the cold mountain nights. 

It wasn't with her then however, it was still laying sprawled out, pinned by rocks at the waters edge surrounded by scent markers to keep any vermin away. She was confident it would be okay but she really just needed the sun to dry it as soon as despite the overcast clouds promising naught but sand moving slowly in an hourglass. So that brought her back to her hare, a conspiracy of ravens devouring whatever she offered them in return for their quick clean up while the carcass itself was ready to be added to the cache for the celebrations. 

The beckoning voice of Valeska brought her back to reality and her head lifted from the carcass with a warm smile on her bloodied maw - a look that was a common occurrence by now. 

"I must help where I can, you're so kind as to let me stick around after all." all the sincerity in the world was poured into her words and no lie detector could say otherwise. With a dip of her chin she couldn't help but advert her gaze with respect from the Priestess. It was to be her wedding day, and the celebration of the coming of spring if Urszula had listened correctly that one time Valeska had spoken of her gods on their travels. A trying and stressful time for the woman especially with a pack to organise and run at the same time. But! You still had to enjoy yourself, it was best to not lose yourself over such trivial matters if anything minor were to be amiss. 

"Thank you, Priestess. I must congratulate you for such a wonderful occasion. A wedding! Oh how I envy you." a cheeky grin lifted her smile and her tail flagged and waved excitedly behind her. For Urszula, to marry and have children was sacred, something she wished for more than to fight beside her brothers. It was the greatest honour to receive a husband and an even greater one if he took to you with kindness and care - not that she expected it, especially since she could hold her own. If he even tried to swipe a paw or even threaten her or their children with fangs he'd find himself ball-less at first and then perhaps he'd be greeting Hel soon after if he didn't lose his temper.

the staff team luvs u
3-3-3
this characters thoughts, feelings and opinions do not reflect my own.

Misc Skill
05-13-2022, 10:19 PM
The generosity of her new acquaintance continued to impress - Zula proved both kind and easy to speak with, and seemed shockingly willing to impart her skillset to others without expecting anything in return. Yet again she demonstrated another gesture of goodness, going so far as to say she wanted to actively contribute to Valeska's wedding festival and she had yet to even make a permanent home here. Moved, the little wolf glanced appreciatively at the carcass, tilting her head to the side with a smile. This was Elysium working as it had always meant to; a safe haven for strangers and friends alike, a place where all could share their wealth and gentleness.

Urszula's light shone from within.

“You 'must' do nothing you do not wish to, my friend,” she said good-humoredly, dipping her head in return. The sun was beginning to sink below the mountains to the west, sending golden shafts of sunlight through their craggy peaks that reached down and set the lake of Fate's Respite aflame. Pinks and purples turned the sky into a pastel canvas as a flock of birds flew overhead, likely heading to their nests for the evening before darkness fell. Not that it was ever frightening, here - their tranquil oasis was a reflection of Valeska's vision for those she watched over.

Zula perked up as she spoke excitedly of her impending ceremony, an unusual twinkle lighting up behind her pale eyes while her stubby tail wagged its enthusiasm. So the mysterious she-wolf was a romantic at heart! The High Priestess could picture it, distantly - she was so capable, so collected and good-natured that it made sense she might long for a partner to share her gifts with. The dark woman would make an excellent mate to whoever captured her affections one day; Valeska was certain.

Envy. To think a wolf of such talents would experience such an emotion!

“Oh, do not envy me,” she began laughingly. “I still must decide where to hang the flowering vines, when to begin our contest for the glory of Sylvanus, and where we should even hold the ceremony itself - there is so much left to do, and all I want is a nap.”

She hadn't been sleeping well as of late in general, owing to all of the gods-damned kicking in her belly. She would move mountains for Amaranth, but to ever be pregnant again might be too much. Anyway, her mate didn't exactly seem like the nurturing type, so she felt secure in her 'one-and-done' mentality with their litter - whoever, and however many they may be.

“You have done so much for me already, and you have asked for nothing. Is there any way I may return such kindness for you?”

the staff team luvs u
05-16-2022, 06:29 PM
Zula couldn't help but grin, her nub continuing to shake behind her like that of a suckling lamb. She was called a friend. To be a friend of a priestess in high places gave the icy woman a sense of being seen, to be recognised as a being of worth. And what a feeling that was! 

"But I must!" she assured. 

When she started rambling about everything she had to do before the ceremony, Zula couldn't help but feel somewhat akin to the ghostly woman. Sympathy wasn't something she often felt but for a brief moment she couldn't help but chuckle and hush the woman before she worried too much and got herself into a stew. 

"How about a stroll my lady? A breather by the lakeside." Zula could use a breather too and while their goals may align, the woman also had to gift Valeska the pelt she had drying in the clouded daylight, especially before it rained. The blue girl gestured gently, taking a step before looking back to the woman she too may perhaps call a friend. She could wait for she thanked Zula for her hard work, that wasn't important and she'd likely refuse any gift.

the staff team luvs u
3-3-3

Misc Skill
05-16-2022, 09:50 PM
As Valeska worked herself up, so then did Zula calm her, hushing the High Priestess in gentle tones with a light laugh. Well, it was all rather unnecessary. The ceremony would go on regardless, and fussing over the placement of honeysuckle seemed frivolous compared to the true meaning behind the event. Still - she wanted it to be lovely and memorable for all who attended, and considering how their wedding may be the only instance in her life where she could see Amaranth almost bathed and hygienic was just too much to give up.

She sighed, shaking her head. “I will be happy to join you, voice of reason; I suppose wedding planning can wait,” Valeska teased good-naturedly, following the dark woman at a slower pace; she found herself growing tired more frequently these days, though she would never admit to shirking her duties, even pregnant. “Exercise clears the mind, though I do not relish it.”

As they walked, passing by errant piles of half-collected items and herbs for the festival ahead, the little wolf was grateful for the overcast sky offering its relief. Spring and summer felt more intense in their mountain oasis, possibly owing to the higher elevation and thinner air, and during clear days she would often retreat to the shade to try and cool off from the relentless sun. At present, the weather felt... nice. A soft breeze stirred her pelt, and she closed her eyes momentarily to savor it.

Urszula stopped suddenly, and Valeska nearly bumped into her.

“Ah, I am sorry, I was not here for a moment - what is it?” she asked, tilting her head to the side.

She looked ahead, spotting something sprawled across a large rock.

“Is that - did you do that yourself?”

the staff team luvs u
05-20-2022, 05:28 PM
Thankful to distract her respected friend, Zula couldn't help but become somewhat bashful when the woman spied her surprise. Heat warmed her cheeks and she smiled while casting her gaze away to the lake's blue waters. 

"For Amaranth and yourself," the hide was thick with black fur, it's chest of white a classic sign of what bear created such a gorgeous pelt. It was soft and padded enough to make a good bed spread for their cave and with the potential of new life, yes she'd seen how fat Valeska was getting, it would make a welcome relief from a cold hard floor. 

"Happy wedding present Priestess,"

Finally Zula looked back to her with her cold eyes and she grinned from ear to ear. She looked almost dopey, trying to pass off the bubbles of anxiety with her very open personality. Her nub was beating behind her like a lambs again, while her gaze was soft and somewhat affectionate to her new friends. Yes a friend that came from an unlikely union of blood. To not be judged so openly and instead held dear for what she was good at, Zula couldn't help but feel a deep connection to the grey lady. Nothing more than platonic but it was real.

the staff team luvs u
3-3-3

05-21-2022, 05:32 PM
For much of her life, Valeska had devoted her time and energy to others. Even as a child she had loved bringing small presents to her family, meaningless little trinkets and sticks and funny-shaped rocks as a way to express her affection, and was always the first to soothe when her siblings would injure themselves or when someone simply had a rough day. It was her very nature to nurture; Elysium itself was built upon that principle, and why she would never turn away anyone seeking shelter from their borders. She loved to love - for what other reason were they placed in this terrifying new world but to spread peace?

She had not forgotten her promise to @Vendrussel. Her pregnancy had come at an awkward time to be traveling great distances, but once her pups were born and she had the strength to make the journey toward Northfall and the dark sea-wolf's home, she would make good on her vow. If nothing came of it in the end and war still must decide their fate, she could at least say she tried.

Others. It never occurred to her to complain, and the well from which she drew her devotion to friends and strangers alike seemed endless. Her light and life were meant to be shared in abundance, and she would not have it any other way.

All of that to say - the moment she saw that great bear pelt shining in the warm rays of evening, and Urszula motioned her toward it, her eyes bubbled up with tears and she was unable to hold back a shuddering sob.

“You-” she started, and failed. She took a shaky breath as the first great tear rolled down her cheek and she turned to look at her friend. “You have made that for me? For us?”

Others. She had received gifts before, of course, but nothing like - like this. She could not imagine the sheer effort it had taken to clean and skin such a great beast, and she couldn't imagine how it had been slain in the first place - but it was beautiful, it was luxurious, and it was the most extravagant thing she had ever owned in her life. Valeska stared in awe, and crept forward slowly, as if the thing might suddenly come back to life and jump out at her. She raised a paw to touch it gently, carefully, and marveled at its softness. “It is... the finest gift I have ever received,” she whispered, her cheeks still damp with tears. “Thank you - from the bottom of my heart. It is so lovely.”

She sniffled loudly, collecting herself, then cleared her throat and looked back at Zula with an expression of tenderness. “I wonder if it can withstand the wild play of small pups running over it,” she smiled wistfully, imagining the carnage. “I do not know how long you wish to stay, but - and I do not ask to impose, this is only a wish - I would love for you to teach them your skills as they grow. My children could learn so much from a wolf of your character - and kindness.”

the staff team luvs u
06-02-2022, 06:17 PM (This post was last modified: 06-02-2022, 06:22 PM by Urszula. Edited 1 time in total.)
The pride the woman felt swelling in her bosom made Zula smile wide from ear to ear. She was like a child when their parents were praising them and in that moment, she pondered if this was the recognition from her mother that she had yearned for as a growing pup. She didn't allow herself to consider the thought long and instead simply nodded wildly to Valeska's words, unable to speak until the she-wolf broke the news of her pregnancy.

Of course the icy wolf had noticed her priestess' – wait, not her priestess, not yet anyway – weight gain but perhaps didn't put the two and two together since – wasn't she marrying a woman? Deep confusion threatened to furrow her brows but instead it was replaced with a theatric shock instead. 

"And here I thought it was just my hunting skills going to your waist. Congratulations Priestess, though it isn't the only news passing on the air today," She swallowed and cast her gaze away to the lake and it's small island, smiling faintly as she watched the tide lapse in and out. To think she could be teaching the children of her ways, to be passing on things she never got the opportunity without her own selfish desire to learn... 

Zula wished to stay at Elysium.

"I have thought about your offer, to join. And I wish to stay here, by your side, Valeska."

the staff team luvs u
3-3-3

Misc Skill
06-05-2022, 10:32 PM
She had already endured a few jokes at the expense of her thickening midsection via Harper, and she bore it as gracefully as she could with a jovial, albeit slightly stiff, smile. Valeska was a stocky wolf by nature, and would never be quite as graceful and trim as others - she was built a hardy creature, meant for steep mountain slopes and blizzards and sleet and eating half a caribou in one sitting, sort of thing - but she felt just a little self-conscious about becoming fat altogether with her pregnancy. She didn't know how many pups she carried, but by the gods, she hoped it was enough to justify her figure these days.

Yet Urszula was kind, and in every word, she meant well. She could not be cross with her for only pointing out the obvious; she had gotten a bit round. Valeska smiled.

“You do me a great honor,” she returned, bowing her head low to show her full appreciation. To have Zula among her kin would be a great service for the pack, with her skills in both hunting and dressing kills and general desire to do good. She was truly a wolf touched by the Five (little did she know), and already the silver woman felt a connection to her stronger than most.

“I look forward to the day when my children can benefit from your knowledge, but until then -” she broke off into a broad grin, swatting at her playfully with a gentle paw. “Once it is finished, I will certainly need help bringing this beautiful gift to the den! And we have so much more to do, Urszula of Elysium, in preparing for this great spectacle we will call a wedding.”

Valeska leaned down to grab at a few stems of wildflowers, plucking them out from the earth with a practiced yank. She had spent hours already gathering up what remained of their formal decor, and now the rest was just garnish.

“If you will help me, I have a deer at the western edge of our claim to bring back to the glade. I think it is the last for the feast, if you would help me in moving it - I believe Harper is handling the rest of the event's needs. It is so good to have someone like you with us... as one of us.”

A warmth flooded her body, gazing fondly at the dark she-wolf who stood dutifully beside her.

So good indeed.

the staff team luvs u
scroll to top